Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

eircom - NAT Type MEGATHREAD! How to make it NAT 2 or 1?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    I can get nat type 2 on netopia, just put d routers firewall on low :-)! So nat type 2, in a way is better than nat type 1?

Right, but I found that to be hit or miss. Along with this it means that the other computers on your network are less protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

ignite wrote: »
    Hi lads can't use PPPoE using eircom@eircom.net with broadband1 I'm afraid. Any ideas? Anyone else have same trouble? Downloadin on NAT3 is dire...
    of course you can, what makes your eircom router different from the rest, go to router webpage, RESET it from there in expert mode, and go through pppoe rigmarole on ps3, you will have nat 1
    works every time for me, if you get connection error in test, hold out 30 seconds, dont press anything it will connect itself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

just got eircom broadband today and i have the same problems. Tried all of the above, but no cigar

• Registered Users Posts: 25 weldon855

i have netopia 2247-02 with nat2 on my ps3 . just opened ports 80-65535 udp/tcp for my ps3s ip address no problems. got fed up searching for what ports where needed so i just opened well nearly all of dem. firewall sill set to medium although if u have a good antivirus your pc is still protected if its off anyways. tried the ppoe for ages and it has never worked for me. if u have the other 2247 router with the latest firmware creatin the custom service to open all dem ports can prove more difficult because it wont let you overlap with the premade services thats already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

While Nat Type 1 is cool for online gaming the problem is you cannot use the PS3 as a media streamer while configured as Nat Type 1. I have the Eircom Netopia 2247 NWG-Eir and cannot get the PS3 into Nat Type 2, it's either 3 or 1 with this router. Is this down to this particular router or is it possible to get Nat Type 2 with the 2247 nwg-eir router.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Gallo

I have the newest one the motorola netopia 2247-62.. does any know how to change the nat number from 3 to 1-2??????

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

Hi,

Noticed a flaw in the above which might help a few of you out.

The PPPoE username is not Eircom@eircom.net, it's simply eircom.
    So username = eircom
    And password = broadband1.

This works for me without any problems. Also, if you have the new Netopia router from eircom (with the WPA key) if you go into the advanced settings in the router home page (192.168.1.254) and if you select the NAT setting in there, they've added the Playstation Network for you, you should activate that.

I had Eircom for two years on the old router, changed to Perlico for a few months, the Username and password are set for each customer so if you are a perlico user then phone perlico and they will gladly give you the detail over the phone. I've switched back to eircom two months ago and they gave me the username and password.

Hope this helps someone.

Vanman99

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭vanman99

Here's a handy guide to setting up the Netopia 2247NWG.

This link will get you to the same info, if you have a different router it will give full instructions of how to get from Nat 3 to Nat 2.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netopia/2247NWG-VGx/PS3_NAT_Type_3_to_2.htm
    Port Forwarding for the Netopia 2247NWG-VGx

To setup port forwarding on this router your computer needs to have a static ip address. Take a look at our Static IP Address guide to setup a static ip address. When you are finished setting up a static ip address, please come back to this page and enter the ip address you setup in the Static IP Address box below.

2247NWG-VGx0.jpg

Open a web browser like internet explorer or Netscape. Enter the ip address of your router in the address bar of your browser. In the picture above the address bar has http://www.google.com in it. Just replace all of that with the ip address of your router. By default the ip address should be set to 192.168.1.1. (for eircom it is 192.168.1.254)

2247NWG-VGx1.jpg

You should see a box prompting you for your username and password. Enter your username and password now. By default the username is admin, and the password is 1234. Click the Ok button to log in to your router.

2247NWG-VGx2.jpg

Click the Expert Mode link near the left side of the page.

2247NWG-VGx3.jpg

Click the Yes, enter expert mode button near the center of the page.
    The menu on the left should change. In this new menu, click Configure.
    You should now see a new menu. In this new menu, click NAT.

2247NWG-VGx4.jpg

Click the Define Custom Service button near the center of the page.

2247NWG-VGx5.jpg

Put a dot into the Port Forwarding: Range of Ports radio button. Click the Next button.
    2247NWG-VGx6.jpg

Service Name: The above name will be saved as this service's descriptionGlobal Port Range: - Base Host Port:Protocol:TCPUDPWe will list a series of lines here that will show you exactly how to forward the ports you need to forward. PS3 NAT Type 3 to 2 requires you to forward the 80,443,3478,3479,3658,5223 ports. Go ahead and enter the settings shown above into the Port Range menu and then click Next.
    Service Name: The above name will be saved as this service's descriptionGlobal Port Range: - Base Host Port:Protocol:TCPUDPYou should see another page of settings that need to be entered into one of the blank lines on your routers Port Range page. Go ahead and enter those settings and then click Next.
    Service Name: The above name will be saved as this service's descriptionGlobal Port Range: - Base Host Port:Protocol:TCPUDPYou should see another page of settings that need to be entered into one of the blank lines on your routers Port Range page. Go ahead and enter those settings and then click Next.

2247NWG-VGx4.jpg

Select the services you created from the Service Name drop down box. Click the Enable button. And that is it! You are done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

tried this and it still doesnt work, still getting nat3

do you have to set up port forwarding for port 80 and 443?

they are listed but not shown in the steps, UDP or TCP if they are?

i presume when enabling you enable for the PS3 IP address?

Cheers

Might go buy a new router, anybody know a good one that doesnt have these problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 steobyrne

Liam2590 wrote: »
    Everytime I enter these settings it just says 'the attempt to obtain an ip address timed out'. Can anybody help me?

i hav the exact same problem,iv tried everything,netopia router,eircom are no help and neither are playstation,the video on you tube doesn work on mine,i can only get type 3 everytime!!shed some light please!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

finty wrote: »

Might go buy a new router, anybody know a good one that doesnt have these problems?

I use a netgear DG834G on eircom and I get NAT2. Available in argos (you want DSL version for eircom) or online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 robrobin1

steobyrne wrote: »
    i hav the exact same problem,iv tried everything,netopia router,eircom are no help and neither are playstation,the video on you tube doesn work on mine,i can only get type 3 everytime!!shed some light please!!!

if ur having problems playing games online do this, go to ur router default (192.168.1.254). when router page appears go to firewall and turn it off and save changes, go back out to router home page and click on wireless then scroll down to advanced config and click. then you sud c list of options, go 2 default channel click the down scroll and put it on to numba 1, then go to auto channelling and put it on default mode,wen that is done scroll down to save changes and click. then it sud give u the option to restart router click yes, this will open all the ports on the router

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

weldon855 wrote: »
    i have netopia 2247-02 with nat2 on my ps3 . just opened ports 80-65535 udp/tcp for my ps3s ip address no problems. got fed up searching for what ports where needed so i just opened well nearly all of dem. firewall sill set to medium although if u have a good antivirus your pc is still protected if its off anyways. tried the ppoe for ages and it has never worked for me. if u have the other 2247 router with the latest firmware creatin the custom service to open all dem ports can prove more difficult because it wont let you overlap with the premade services thats already there.

This method WORKS. Tested using DD-WRT micro (PPPoE does NOT work 24.1 micro) and a 2247.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aerocell

EIrcom broadband user's can also use their phone number as their username e.g. 046-xxxxxxxxx or 01-xxxxxxxxx ,and your password is your eircom account number.
    As far as I am aware CSI has to be turned off for this to work.

Also people might want to dissable there own firewalls as well as dropping the routers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 passingby

wow nice one works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭crxsi

Can get 99% of games to work online on ps3(except lbp and pro evo 2010)have opened all ports manually on xyzel router, enabled pnp or router, but cannot get ps3 to change from nat 3 to nat 2...
    Have followed keep it carlows video over and over, but pnp just will not enable on ps3. I have a wired connection, and even tried setting it up wirelessly to see will it enable, but no luck..
    Any suggestions??

Thanks

Moderators, you should put a sticky up for these router probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EircomFails

I got nat type 1 by using pppoe and everytime i play mw2 i get into a match and and then it starts laging, then i get sigh out of psn. i dont know what to do. Plaese Help Me Its driving me mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Billov

I've tried the PPPoE solutions... with no luck.

My router is a Motorola 2247 which isn't on the portforward.com list

although it looks just like the netopia one, so will my router use the same Port settings as the Netopia 2247NWG-VGx that Vanman posted???

I've never had much trouble with online gaming (maybe a bit of irregular lag) until I got Modern Warfare 2... which can't even find a single match on NAT 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Billov wrote: »
    I've tried the PPPoE solutions... with no luck.

My router is a Motorola 2247 which isn't on the portforward.com list

although it looks just like the netopia one, so will my router use the same Port settings as the Netopia 2247NWG-VGx that Vanman posted???

I've never had much trouble with online gaming (maybe a bit of irregular lag) until I got Modern Warfare 2... which can't even find a single match on NAT 3.

Eircom router is crap , and it is not going to work. dont waste your time trying to set this up. just buy any cheap adsl router and your problems will dissappear

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Is there an easier way of getting it to NAT1 when using an ethernet cable? Or does that make any difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Makes no difference at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 scobey87

if i change my nat type can it cause any damage, other people in my house are using the same connection for laptops i need to change it due to the prob of not been able to play online wit all my friends but dnt want to affect other people (i have a ps3)
    Regards,

What have people entered for their primary and secondary DNS? When I use the ones on the netopia router I get NAT3 and when I use the ones from going into my network connection I get DNS error.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

scobey87 wrote: »
    if i change my nat type can it cause any damage, other people in my house are using the same connection for laptops i need to change it due to the prob of not been able to play online wit all my friends but dnt want to affect other people (i have a ps3)
    Regards,

I didnt think it would, but last week when downloading the 2gb MAG demo, I noticed laptop couldnt get on the internet, when I stopped the download laptop was fine. Never noticed it before though.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Yea MAG was causing problems with my laptop connection... I think if your downloading on PS3 like demos and stuff it will slow ur laptop when your on NAT1... NAT3 doesnt cause a problem!

Anyone noticed their net connection dropping recently on Eircom? Never happended to me before!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 scobey87

ye my connection as been bad the last week or so im updated my system on the psn and it changed to nat type2.

can someone explain the differance between nat 1 2 and 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

scobey87 wrote: »
    ye my connection as been bad the last week or so im updated my system on the psn and it changed to nat type2.

can someone explain the differance between nat 1 2 and 3?

NAT1 : PS3 is connected to PSN and is completly bypassing your firewall so all the necessary ports are open. Fine for gaming. This is fine as long as you do not want to use the mediasharing features.

NAT2 : PS3 is connected to PSN, is behind a firewall but all the necessary ports are open. Perfect for gaming and for media sharing.

NAT3 : PS3 is connected to PSN, is behind a firewall but the necessary ports are blocked (by your firewall). This is balls for gaming online but fine for media sharing.

The eircom routers can only do NAT1 and NAT3.

If you want NAT2 on eircom broadband then take a trip to PC World and buy yourself the cheapest netgear router. Remove the netopia crap and configure your new router. The netgears have UPnP compatibility and open the ports you need. You may still need to open a few others in the router but look at portforward.com. It is not that difficult and you will get help here if you are stuck.

NAT2 is ideal. It is the best of both worlds.

The eircom NAT argument has been going on a long time here and everyone is tired answering the same answers so you tend to get ignored in these threads.

Good Luck,
    Damien

Might do that so, even if I get NAT1/2 on Netopia, odds are when I have to reset it (which is a couple times a week) it'll just go back to NAT3 and the fun will start over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Bump-edy-Bump!!

This worked perfectly. Went from Nat Type 3 to Nat Type 1 on my PS3.....cheers k1nk33
    k1nk33 wrote: »
    Pretty simple lads , set up ps3 using custom settings and after entering your security key pick pppoe for ip settings. Username is eircom@eircom.net and password is broadband1. choose manual dns settings and enter this , Primary dns 213.94.190.236 Secondry dns 213.94.190,194. Next change mtu settings to 1492 and go test your connection. Thats it! If it doesn't work first time don't worry just keep trying and sooner or later you'll be giving a nat type 1. Sometimes i get a connection error when i turn on my ps3 but after a couple of seconds it goes back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Bump-edy-Bump!!

This worked perfectly. Went from Nat Type 3 to Nat Type 1 on my PS3.....cheers k1nk33

Worked for me there as well:D

Advertisement