Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SEGA Mega-CD 2

Options
  • 23-09-2018 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me. I was recently clearing out my in-laws house and came across a sega mega cd 2. I am not a computer game guy and know nothing about them.

The console is in its original packaging and has never been used/opened.

Does anyone have any info on it and is it worth anything?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

No idea what its worth but there will be no shortage of takers for that lot

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wow lovely! That'll be worth a few quid alright.

Are you sure they've never been opened? (Still signs of any seals?) That'll make a huge difference to the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

o1s1n wrote: »
    Wow lovely! That'll be worth a few quid alright.

Are you sure they've never been opened? (Still signs of any seals?) That'll make a huge difference to the price.

I just had a look there and it has been opened but all the internal packaging is there. From the looks of it nothing has ever been taken out of the box. Is there anywhere I could bring it to get it valued?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I just had a look there and it has been opened but all the internal packaging is there. From the looks of it nothing has ever been taken out of the box. Is there anywhere I could bring it to get it valued?

A Mega CD 2 would be about 40/50 Euro, the three button equivalent of that joystick is about 30 Euro. Those prices are for items that are far more used than yours seem to be. The fact that they are Japanese could have some effect. Would a Jap Mega CD 2 be compatible with a Euro MegaDrve?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

A Mega CD 2 would be about 40/50 Euro, the three button equivalent of that joystick is about 30 Euro. Those prices are for items that are far more used than yours seem to be. The fact that they are Japanese could have some effect. Would a Jap Mega CD 2 be compatible with a Euro MegaDrve?

No there’s region checks to ensure the Megadrive region matches the mega cd region. You have to mod the megadrive for region switching for it to work.

As for the value, you should be looking at way way more than 50 quid. Check ebay completed listings, but gut instinct would tell me €250/€300 for the mega cd alone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you fancy sticking it on the Marketplace here, I'm sure people could buy it from you, rather than the choppy lowball waters of Adverts.
    Might be tempted to make an offer myself!

Master of the Universe

As Inviere said, you're looking for a LOT more than 50 quid for this boxed.

Ebay ended auctions is the way to go, here's a boxed Japanese one that sold for $400.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Mega-CD-Console-Boxed-Working-Japan-/232766101131?hash=item3631f0d68b%3Ag%3AhY4AAOSw9N5bErMg&nma=true&si=n670llt8rnF0LidzjI4IbbcU98c%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If it was sealed you'd be looking for even more again.

sugarman wrote: »
    Wow, unreal find :eek:

Easily worth €300-400 going by sold listings.

Better check with the brother or sister in law before doing anything with them tho :P

Would you believe it was about to be thrown in a skip. I had to persuade my brother and father in law it might be worth saving.

Master of the Universe

..can you point me in the direction of this skip? :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Johnny, you are the Packie Bonner of the retro gaming world. Well done

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm just disappointed that, thanks to the helpfulness of the folk on the Arcade and Retro forum I've missed out on a €50 boxed MegaCD2!

Only kidding, I hope you make a few bob on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Been eyeballing some megadrive stuff over the last few days on ebay, and from what I've seen; used Mega-CD 1 & 2 variants boxed are easily around the GBP£200+ mark (so about €220+), so as much as I wouldn't mind a cheap find, upwards of that figure sounds about right as a rough rule of thumb. That said, I've not seen any Japanese variants so that might change the value again due to being more rare in these parts.

What a find though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If I'm not mistaken, a Megadrive + Mega CD combo goes for a out €200? Pretty sure I saw one that price recently...

Edit: nevermind, I'm thinking of PAL models. Seems you can get boxed combos for about €150-200.

That €50 is still here.... burning a hole in my pocket.... at least I'll have one working MegaCD to my name then ;)

At least you have one, working or not :P

Master of the Universe

Mad how times change. Just found an ad of mine from 5 years ago for a Megadrive I/CDI combo unit I had up for €100.

https://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/sega-megadrive-1-and-mega-cd-1/2805375

Had no takers at all. Think I sold it in the end to Atavan for €40 :eek:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Mad how times change. Just found an ad of mine from 5 years ago for a Megadrive I/CDI combo unit I had up for €100.

https://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/sega-megadrive-1-and-mega-cd-1/2805375

Had no takers at all. Think I sold it in the end to Atavan for €40 :eek:

I know where he lives...
    And he's in Canada...
    Just nip around the M50...
    "Hello Ms Atavan, I'm checking for dangerously old retro electronics... I have reason to believe there are some items here, of course I can take them to a safe distance..."

Hi All, my brother in law wants to sell this so it is up on adverts. There is a link in the marketplace.

Is €400 not strong money for one of these? The one that sold recently on eBay for €400 also had a console in the same very good boxed condition and 15 decent games.

There's others in good condition that went for €175-200.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Is €400 not strong money for one of these? The one that sold recently on eBay for €400 also had a console in the same very good boxed condition and 15 decent games.

There's others in good condition that went for €175-200.
    Agreed but that was the price my brother in law wanted to sell it at. I told him it was on the high side but thats the number he wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Agreed but that was the price my brother in law wanted to sell it at. I told him it was on the high side but thats the number he wanted.

He'll be looking at it for a while so, price is to high and non-negotiable will just turn people away.

Good luck with that price.
    Feeling it'll be revised down.
    A quick enough sale at €250 might be preferable months at €400 and notifications of low-ballers all the do-long-day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Yeah I'd be surprised if it shifts at €400. I'd advise to take any offers in or around the €250/€275 mark

Inviere wrote: »
    Yeah I'd be surprised if it shifts at €400. I'd advise to take any offers in or around the €250/€275 mark

Will let him know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Sure start high and reduce if needed :)

Advertisement