Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extreme noise level - creche

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's amazing how parents are blind to the disruption and downright annoyance kids can cause while they are just "doing what kids do".

We don't live in a 9-5 world anymore, people work nights, they work shift and they work from home. A crèche should not be build in a complex like this as it is guaranteed to cause disruption.

Parents weren't born parents.

And a location within a residential area is a perfect place for a creche.

meeeeh wrote: »
    If you want to have proper planning and neighborhoods that function a bit better than just places where people go to sleep then you need proper community services. That involves schools, creches, shops, sports clubs, playgrounds and similar.

This is why people live in rural areas to get away from all these noises and keep shops, schools etc at a distance. In other words they want places where you just sleep and do things in your own home. I have spent most of my life living in a rural area and smaller number of years living in an estate and its infuriating getting woken up at 9 or 10am on Saturday or sunday morning by kids screaming when you are sleeping in after a weeks work (and possibly a feed of pints the night before) or someone cutting grass early etc never mind the other annoyances. For someone like the op its even worse as its a daily thing. This is especially bad in summer if you want to open a window. I couldn't imagine settling down anywhere but back in a countryside location as its just so much better having your own space at a reasonable distance from other houses and no where near schools etc.

I dont think creches or schools should be in or very close to houses or apartments as they are guaranteed to be a nuisance for residents.

I have never been woken by a tractor either despite living on a farm surrounded by farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Hurrache wrote: »

And a location within a residential area is a perfect place for a creche.

Unless you happen to live next door or above one - they are very noisy places and the OP's issue can't really be compared to a primary school which is very quiet for most of the day. Schools are noisy at lunchtime but that's only for a short time and they are closed for weeks during summer holidays, Christmas, Easter etc.

Creches are open all year round.

There's no question that creches are needed, but maybe the planners should think a bit about the impact on local residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I dont think creches or schools should be in or very close to houses or apartments as they are guaranteed to be a nuisance for residents.
    But it's much easier for kids to walk to school if it's near their house... cuts back on the nonsense of having to be given a lift

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

McTigs wrote: »
    But it's much easier for kids to walk to school if it's near their house... cuts back on the nonsense of having to be given a lift

They can be 1KM away and be far enough that noise isnt an issue yet near enough to walk.

The issue is when they are literally next door to residential areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

GreeBo wrote: »
    They can be 1KM away and be far enough that noise isnt an issue yet near enough to walk.

The issue is when they are literally next door to residential areas.

Can you give a rough description of how this would be applied in the Dublin area?

Can you give a rough description of how this would be applied in the Dublin area?

Find an area thats not right next to a dense residential area?
    Put them beside primary/secondary schools/Colleges for example, you might not get 1KM, but you will get better than a courtyard.

I'm sure you could put one in UCD and it wouldnt impact anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

GreeBo wrote:

Cause Dublin is absolutely laced with greenfield sites lying idle.

Honest to God, there's some amount of misanthropists in this thread, even for Boards.

I've no kids, nor do I particularly like them but even I accept that the best place for creches and schools is within the community, not in some faraway gulag lest they offend the sensibilities of some miserable cranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Im going to be a bit mean here OP but quite frankly the planning laws cannot ever take into play someone doing Shift Work, Its your choice to do shift work just like it was your choice to live in an apartment complex with a courtyard at the centre.

Its very good planning to put Creche facilities where people live as the majority are out to work during the day and dont have to travel with a car to drop kids off. from traffic management and ease of access its pretty ideal.

Then there is folks like yourself, like it or loath it you are in the minority. So i would suggest 1 of 3 options.

Find a job with normal hours (its an excellent option because shift work will drive you demented believe me i did it for a year and it actually physically made me worse off)

Use better earplugs (excellent option because they actually work, not the crappy foam ones)

Move

notice none of the options involve you impacting the creche nor the planning as frankly its built were it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Dial Hard wrote: »

Honest to God, there's some amount of misanthropists in this thread, even for Boards.

I've no kids, nor do I particularly like them but even I accept that the best place for creches and schools is within the community, not in some faraway gulag lest they offend the sensibilities of some miserable cranks.

No one said they should be in some faraway gulag..

There's a big difference between putting a crèche in a semi-detached house or the ground floor in an apartment block and a crèche that could be sited on the grounds of a primary school or a shopping centre which are usually on large sites and well situated in the local community.

It's not unreasonable to think about the impact on the neighbours in the other semi or in the apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

No one said they should be in some faraway gulag..

There's a big difference between putting a crèche in a semi-detached house or the ground floor in an apartment block and a crèche that could be sited on the grounds of a primary school or a shopping centre which are usually on large sites and well situated in the local community.

It's not unreasonable to think about the impact on the neighbours in the other semi or in the apartments.
    Nobody is talking about a creche on the ground floor of apartment building or in semi-d. Where did you get that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Unless you happen to live next door or above one -

I lived close enough to hear them, and a primary school. The one I could hear was attached to a semi-d, with planning permission.

The one my kids go to has a row of semi-d houses behind it. The purpose built creche was there before the houses. I was collecting the kids one afternoon one summer, after lunch, and they were outside playing. The person in the house behind shouted out from her house at the kids to shut up. They laughed, I laughed, and the person was labelled a crank by the employees and neighbours.

Put them beside primary/secondary schools/Colleges for example, you might not get 1KM, but you will get better than a courtyard.

Ok who is going to source and fund this loction

Edit the additional location

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

There is already a crèche in UCD. Not sure how that would help people living and working in areas such as the IFSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If you find it hard to sleep during the day, then night/shift work is probably not something you're cut out for.

By all means approach the creche, but kids are kids, they make noise, if you don't want noise, join Angelique Agreeable Virtuoso in the countryside (and try and ignore the sheep screaming when their lambs are taken away).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

astrofool wrote: »
    If you find it hard to sleep during the day, then night/shift work is probably not something you're cut out for.

By all means approach the creche, but kids are kids, they make noise, if you don't want noise, join Angelique Agreeable Virtuoso in the countryside (and try and ignore the sheep screaming when their lambs are taken away).[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean BUT that stops after three days... Trust me on that..

And to be fair to the OP, she was fine before the screaming started, and hopefully changing rooms and using better earplugs etc will make a difference?

Very few can afford to change jobs..

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

Just so people are aware: I have absolutely no problem with a creche being part of this apartment complex. It is in a commercial unit and it is a business. It is also a great service for parents...

What is very annoying is that from the moment the creche is open, they put a group of children in the courtyard play area. This play area is in the court yard surrounded by 6 story apartment blocks on all sides. It echo's all sounds. They stay out here until closing because they rotate different age groups i think. It used to be 17:00 but it now becoming 18:30 until they bring them inside.

If they kept the children inside to play and only put them outside occasionally it would be absolutely no problem.

All children are loving it! They are running around like crazy, screaming, fighting, screeching, crying, etc. There is only 1 staff member outside most of the time on their phone.

Anyway, thanks for all those people that replied. I will try wax earplugs and triple glazing (already have double glazing).
    Can anybody advise what best to do with those air vent strips above the windows? Should I put tape over them to completely shut them and block noise?

Dial Hard wrote: »

A) Why does it have to be greenfield?
    B) If 1KM is suddenly "faraway" then its no wonder we are becoming the fattest bunch of people on the planet.

Why not stick them beside already noisy sites, near the motorway for example?

Ok who is going to source and fund this loction

Oh I dunno, the people who want to run a creche mayhaps? :confused:

There is already a crèche in UCD. Not sure how that would help people living and working in areas such as the IFSC.

Yep you've got me there alright chief!
    My plan was basically to just build a single creche in UCD. :rolleyes:

I wonder how hard it would be to find a non residential side near the IFSC?
    (I'm looking at you eastpoint business park....oh look, already a creche there)

• Advertisement

Nobody is talking about a creche on the ground floor of apartment building or in semi-d. Where did you get that from?

LOL, did you read the first post (or any posts!) in this thread at all there Ted?

Here is a hint...its about a creche thats....wait for it...on the ground floor of a......wait for it......apartment complex!:eek:

A) Why does it have to be greenfield?
    B) If 1KM is suddenly "faraway" then its no wonder we are becoming the fattest bunch of people on the planet.

Why not stick them beside already noisy sites, near the motorway for example?

Would on the motorway suit you better? It's just a fact of life that they are being integrated in the communities that use them. That policy is not going to change any time soon.

Yep you've got me there alright chief!
    My plan was basically to just build a single creche in UCD. :rolleyes:

I wonder how hard it would be to find a non residential side near the IFSC?
    (I'm looking at you eastpoint business park....oh look, already a creche there)

They are located where they are needed and thankfully it's become the norm that they are in the community that they serve. Lack of community is a huge issue over the last 20-30 years. Creches have the ability to create a community feel and get people to know others that live close by rather than everyone living in their little boxes without any outside contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yurple wrote: »
    Just so people are aware: I have absolutely no problem with a creche being part of this apartment complex. It is in a commercial unit and it is a business. It is also a great service for parents...

What is very annoying is that from the moment the creche is open, they put a group of children in the courtyard play area. This play area is in the court yard surrounded by 6 story apartment blocks on all sides. It echo's all sounds. They stay out here until closing because they rotate different age groups i think. It used to be 17:00 but it now becoming 18:30 until they bring them inside.

If they kept the children inside to play and only put them outside occasionally it would be absolutely no problem.

All children are loving it! They are running around like crazy, screaming, fighting, screeching, crying, etc. There is only 1 staff member outside most of the time on their phone.

Anyway, thanks for all those people that replied. I will try wax earplugs and triple glazing (already have double glazing).
    Can anybody advise what best to do with those air vent strips above the windows? Should I put tape over them to completely shut them and block noise?

No don't ever block vents ever. Unless of course you want mould and bronchial problem's

Try the ear plugs.

Change jobs or shifts

Or move.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

LOL, did you read the first post (or any posts!) in this thread at all there Ted?

Here is a hint...its about a creche thats....wait for it...on the ground floor of a......wait for it......apartment complex!:eek:

I did, did you?
    Some time after the apartments were finished... someone got permission to build a large creche in the middle of the courtyard of every single apartment in the area.

Maybe dial down on outrage and dial up on thinking...

[QUOTE=Glass fused light;107004782
    ]Ok who is going to source and fund this loction

Oh I dunno, the people who want to run a creche mayhaps? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Ok so 1 ucd building 1east point business park building
    what's the capital investment needed by the people who wan to run a crèche in either of these locations

I did, did you?

Maybe dial down on outrage and dial up on thinking...

You asked where people got the idea from, it was from the OP that you just quoted.
    Seems like you would have known that answer before posting your question if you had read the thread first?

Ok so 1 ucd building 1east point business park building
    what's the capital investment needed by the people who wan to run a crèche in either of these locations

Seems like you could get an extremely accurate answer by asking the owners of the existing creches in either of these locations?

Would on the motorway suit you better? It's just a fact of life that they are being integrated in the communities that use them. That policy is not going to change any time soon.

I think that would be both dangerous for the children at play time and difficult for that parents to get parking?

• Advertisement

They are located where they are needed and thankfully it's become the norm that they are in the community that they serve. Lack of community is a huge issue over the last 20-30 years. Creches have the ability to create a community feel and get people to know others that live close by rather than everyone living in their little boxes without any outside contact.

I think you are confusing the purpose of a creche with something else.
    They are located where they are most useful and likely to make money, not to create a community.
    They are a business first.

Advertisement