Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Last cut of the year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Last cut yesterday. Looks good now. Ride on washed n cleaned n ready for its annual service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Curly head wrote: »
    Last cut yesterday. Looks good now. Ride on washed n cleaned n ready for its annual service.

I'll be cutting grass in 2 hours and 33 minutes, and later this week, mower service in December and then continue cutting up to christmas.

Your surely organised:)

Curly head wrote: »
    Your surely organised:)

I try to be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Is it not bad for the grass when the weather is so cold cutting it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Truckermal wrote: »
    twill be grand. i cut ours yesterday. might even need another cut

Truckermal wrote: »

Not at all, much colder and I would at least wait for the frost to thaw in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Not at all, much colder and I would at least wait for the frost to thaw in the afternoon.

Cheers folks have the whole lot done in just over 2 hour's!

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OGC.9808ef8a1edfe2929600029d370f127a&pid=Api&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2fsQ6PsXCPL8tGg%2fgiphy.gif&ehk=mRO%2bKlGzXkhsgs9S0YwHYzIoDd8CMtpMioy1aGayNBk%3d ride on cleaned fo season after what I thought was the last cut last week but the bloody stuff is still growing ����

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

I can say with some certainty that I have done my last cut of 2019. Ran around with the mower set fairly high yesterday to tidy it up and take off some lingering leaves.
    Some soft parts, but in decent condition after the year.
    Now to get the mower serviced in January and get ready for the next season!

Anyone still cutting?

• Advertisement

aw wrote: »
    I can say with some certainty that I have done my last cut of 2019. Ran around with the mower set fairly high yesterday to tidy it up and take off some lingering leaves.
    Some soft parts, but in decent condition after the year.
    Now to get the mower serviced in January and get ready for the next season!

Anyone still cutting?

Yes, and will be on the 18th and 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Have you much growth in the grass still?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Na

aw wrote: »
    Have you much growth in the grass still?

A little, but mainly to keep it tidy and striped for Christmas.

Normally cut my own grass again middle of January especially if we have a mild december like last year.

Na

?

Out cutting a lawn for a holiday home right now, striped and ready to welcome them back for christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Haven't had the need for the last 4 weeks or more.....seems to have stopped growing.

Looks like its time to pack the mower away for the winter.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Haven't had the need for the last 4 weeks or more.....seems to have stopped growing.

Looks like its time to pack the mower away for the winter.

Nearly finished my customers lawn, just have to go round the edges with the shears and it'll look perfect. I then just have to do mine on monday.

I cut the front there before the drizzle - had grown a good bit since October.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Got mine done yesterday - just a shave to tidy it up a bit. Decent growth since the last cut early November all the same. Ridiculously warm out for the time of year. Wasn't long ditching the fleece when I got going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Might do mine this weekend, I'd like to see the sun and wind get some time on it beforehand.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Thought I'd get out to mine today, alas too late home from work. Off tomorrow though, will get the crossed lines back on it soon.

Just cut mine yesterday, fierce growth in it, can i ask also is there anything i can do for the lawn in terms of preparing over the winter for the spring, should i be adding some feed? ,Thanks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Just cut mine yesterday, fierce growth in it, can i ask also is there anything i can do for the lawn in terms of preparing over the winter for the spring, should i be adding some feed? ,Thanks.

Bit late for that now. Autumn is the time for autumn feed when the side-shoots and roots are growing more than the vertical shoots. Hold off til the spring at this stage - scarify it in April and then feed it with a spring/summer weed/feed. When the temps get up in may then treat any moss with either Iron (cheap, needs raking when dead) or Mo-Bacter (expensive, eats the moss so leaves nothing behind).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭blackbox

I cut some of mine yesterday - technically the FIRST cut of the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Is it too early to cut the grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Have a care would you go cutting.manys the big frost we got in February and we still in January.youl be long enough cutting the fcuker all summer.
    The only thing to do with a lawn in January and February is stay off it according to the old timers.

Have a care would you go cutting.manys the big frost we got in February and we still in January.youl be long enough cutting the fcuker all summer.
    The only thing to do with a lawn in January and February is stay off it according to the old timers.

I drove by a house one new years day and there was a woman cutting her front garden.
    I'm looking forward to getting the mower out but I know I'll be sick of it soon enough :D

If it needs cutting then cut it

• Advertisement

Load of rubbish, if someone wants to tidy their grass then let them do it, with the mild winters we're having grass is growing more than it used to November - March.

Advertisement