Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭Endurance_man

Well they are pretty dammed after today. They got it wrong simple as. Bit like all government backed agencies they won't be held accountable.

Just hope everyone is ok and realise met eireann cannot be trusted

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭Macy0161

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Also bear in mind that Met Eireann have to be pretty sure of something actually occuring before they issue an alert...a couple of years ago there was a bit of an outcry after they issued an alert for very heavy snow, which did not materialise, and people were threatening to sue them.

Basically, they dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.
    It is tough for them, but I think people (and judges if it came to it) would understand if they were over cautious. In my opinion they got it wrong with their upgrades this time. No point telling people to avoid unnecessary journeys/ stay in doors (as it is at red warning) when they're already in school or work.

Perhaps its a system issue though - maybe going to a percentage risk of various scenario's is the way to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Well they are pretty dammed after today. They got it wrong simple as. Bit like all government backed agencies they won't be held accountable.

Just hope everyone is ok and realise met eireann cannot be trusted

I hate this debate but how exactly were they wrong? Their forecast yesterday was for severe and damaging winds, storm force in the SW with gusts to 120kph across Munster and Leinster. Exactly what happened.. There's far too much emphasis on these colour warnings when all the important info is in the text

It's not the Mets fault the media didn't take notice and hype the sh!t out of it like they do with most storms. If ME gave last nights forecast but it spread on social media then they'd be commended for getting it spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Harps wrote: »
    I hate this debate but how exactly were they wrong? Their forecast yesterday was for severe and damaging winds, storm force in the SW with gusts to 120kph across Munster and Leinster. Exactly what happened.. There's far too much emphasis on these colour warnings when all the important info is in the text

It's not the Mets fault the media didn't take notice and hype the sh!t out of it like they do with most storms. If ME gave last nights forecast but it spread on social media then they'd be commended for getting it spot on

There were posters on this forum who were miles ahead of ME in calling this a red alert and shocked when that orange forecast was issued last night. ME got it desperately wrong here and if you think Munster only got 120kph winds today you are sorely mistaken. The damage here in Limerick alone tells a very different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Harps wrote: »

They did not forecast this until late last night

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

sully2010 wrote: »
    They did not forecast this until late last night
    They forecast violent storm force 11 winds over Munster after Monday's Six One news (i.e. up to 120km/h).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Danno wrote: »
    I am sending in the following reccomendation to Met Eireann:

Dear Met Eireann,

In future can you deliver your website's forecasts in the following format:

TODAY: Showers of rain, hail and thunder will quickly spread from the west in a strong and blustery westerly airflow.
    WEST DUBLIN FARIES: Your game of chase-tag-and-kiss with the other boys will be interrupted by some rain and gusts that will rise up your skirts at 10:52am, perhaps 10.53am - therefore we reccomend using additional vaseline to put over your eyebrows to keep out painful sweats and raindrops from messing with your vision.

I reccomend this format be used to avoid little hissy fits on forums such as boards.ie which take the good name of Met Eireann in vain.

Yours truly,
    Danno.

Perhaps this " Hissy fit " recommendation can be extended beyond West Dublin in light of more recent posts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭Endurance_man

They forecast violent storm force 11 winds over Munster after Monday's Six One news (i.e. up to 120km/h).

The winds were up the 170km/h big difference

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The winds were up the 170km/h big difference
    Sustained winds or gusts? Big difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

To be fair,the UK met only issued a red alert in their jurisdiction after they saw what was rapidly developing over Ireland.
    That's the key 'rapidly developing'.
    It might not have done what it did.
    Basically the swathe of severe winds was expected,they knew it would technically happen,it's just the swathe covered a wider area than they thought.
    That they got wrong and consequently ,with the amount of amber warnings issued already this winter,the inevitable happened,the people in the amber area were caught unawares.
    Ambers's have become two a penny (from a perception point of view) so kind of ignored.

I think Glasnevin did a reasonable job on this.You can't compare the analysis here with their service.We get it wrong too a lot of the time but it's forgotten about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Not everyone watches the forecast day after day and with Ireland's usually mundane weather, it's no surprise.

ME screwed this up badly and were lucky to get away with it, i.e nobody was killed going to school for example. If a child was killed today, there would be outrage directed towards them.

When a storm as severe is this was coming they should issue the Red alert on time, just like the guys on here did. That way, it allows the media time to pick it up and spread the word, people to start posting on Twitter, etc. Get the word out early.

There was a clear consensus with the weather guys on here. I think it is time for Met Eireann to start following these boards ... one poster in particular ... I think we know who ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

salonfire wrote: »
    Not everyone watches the forecast day after day and with Ireland's usually mundane weather, it's no surprise.

ME screwed this up badly and were lucky to get away with it, i.e nobody was killed going to school for example. If a child was killed today, there would be outrage directed towards them.

When a storm as severe is this was coming they should issue the Red alert on time, just like the guys on here did. That way, it allows the media time to pick it up and spread the word, people to start posting on Twitter, etc. Get the word out early.

There was a clear consensus with the weather guys on here. I think it is time for Met Eireann to start following these boards ... one poster in particular ... I think we know who ..
    I don't think people can compare the amateur (in the sense people are not being paid for it) forecasts made here on boards to those made by met eireann, met eireann are still accountable (but not liable)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭cml387

I am interested to know from those accusing ME of not forecasting the storm in time: if they had a red warning on Tuesday's nine pm news, how exactly would things have been different yesterday?

And for those who believe this forum is a better guide to the weather than ME, just look at the overblown warning of snow and ice we've had over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭Macy0161

cml387 wrote: »
    I am interested to know from those accusing ME of not forecasting the storm in time: if they had a red warning on Tuesday's nine pm news, how exactly would things have been different yesterday?
    I think that ME get it right the vast majority of the time. I think they got it wrong this time. If they'd upgraded earlier, or even said it was a fluid situation, then people could've made alternative arrangements and been more prepared to make alternative arrangements. Schools could've considered closing early in the east for example, commuters left work early etc.

I've said on the other thread, Tuesday lunchtime, the National Emergency Coordination group was on the News at One saying it was standing down due to there being nothing severe coming, and Evelyn was on saying it would be comparable to the storms around Christmas.

They get it right most of the time, but they don't have to be definitive all the time - give themselves a bit of wriggle room. I don't recall any forecast on Tuesday giving the possibility of a change of track widening the zone of damaging winds. That would've been their out in my opinion, and I wouldn't be saying they got it wrong this time. And I want to emphasise "this time", as they do get a harder time than they should for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

The met.ie web site could be better. Updates are very irregular.

15 hours?

293832.jpg

And a one-line national forecast?

293833.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

ppshay wrote: »

15 hours?

You missed the 11.32am update and the 4.12pm update.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭prunudo

ppshay wrote: »

15 hours?

293832.jpg

And a one-line national forecast?

293833.jpg

I agree it could do with a revamp. The other thing I've noticed on more than one occasion that the desktop version and the mobile version are showing different icons.
    So for example, the desktop might be showing dark cloud with rain while the mobile version with have dark cloud with rain and sun. They should at least have a bit of consistancy.
    I emailed them about this but never heard anything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

jvan wrote: »
    I agree it could do with a revamp. The other thing I've noticed on more than one occasion that the desktop version and the mobile version are showing different icons.
    So for example, the desktop might be showing dark cloud with rain while the mobile version with have dark cloud with rain and sun. They should at least have a bit of consistancy.
    I emailed them about this but never heard anything back.

Why am I not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

tatranska wrote: »
    It's ok, I saw the Me forecast tonight on Rte. There will be no storms this week :)
    They got it way wrong on the farming forecast last Sunday.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10251133/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

200motels wrote: »
    They got it way wrong on the farming forecast last Sunday.

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10251133/

Can people finally just do some god damn research before I see another post like this.

Wednesdays storm appeared last week, and it chopped and changed tonnes. At one point didn't ECM or GFS drop it totally? Like go look the GFS 12z from the 8th. Nothing out of the ordinary, a bit of wind, barely a yellow probably.

If ME went with the notion that they should stick with day old data and not update forecasts based on the latest model runs, well then people would still be sh*tting all over them.

People on here, including myself can look at the models and post run by run with updates and the main guys will update their opinion according to the data straight after. ME can't do that and can't afford to buy into something far in advance. People on here don't get mauled for making mistakes, ME do. Go back through some threads where MT hasn't been that accurate and see the response if someone called him on it, destroyed. I remember in my first weeks on here when I said I didn't need MT forecasts to know what was going on and people wanted me banned. Granted they should have just put out the red Tuesday to make people happy. They did however warn of high winds on Tuesday, up to 160km/h? Like, if people shook that off because it was an orange warning, well that's their own fault because that's just utterly moronic.

Not just directed at you anymore, just a general comment towards the amount of people commenting on how few people knew about this. People need to realise not everyone is like us. Not everyone likes checking the charts, watching the weather religiously. This isn't America or England where things can be hyped to biblical proportion for little reasons at times.

To finish, people can check the the ECM (one of ME's big boys) 0z 9th of February which is the Sunday. If you go look at that and still call ME out for what they said on Sunday and ignore the warning for winds Monday and Tuesday just because the lack of a RED warning, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

John.Icy wrote: »
    Can people finally just do some god damn research before I see another post like this.

Wednesdays storm appeared last week, and it chopped and changed tonnes. At one point didn't ECM or GFS drop it totally? Like go look the GFS 12z from the 8th. Nothing out of the ordinary, a bit of wind, barely a yellow probably.

If ME went with the notion that they should stick with day old data and not update forecasts based on the latest model runs, well then people would still be sh*tting all over them.

People on here, including myself can look at the models and post run by run with updates and the main guys will update their opinion according to the data straight after. ME can't do that and can't afford to buy into something far in advance. People on here don't get mauled for making mistakes, ME do. Go back through some threads where MT hasn't been that accurate and see the response if someone called him on it, destroyed. I remember in my first weeks on here when I said I didn't need MT forecasts to know what was going on and people wanted me banned. Granted they should have just put out the red Tuesday to make people happy. They did however warn of high winds on Tuesday, up to 160km/h? Like, if people shook that off because it was an orange warning, well that's their own fault because that's just utterly moronic.

Not just directed at you anymore, just a general comment towards the amount of people commenting on how few people knew about this. People need to realise not everyone is like us. Not everyone likes checking the charts, watching the weather religiously. This isn't America or England where things can be hyped to biblical proportion for little reasons at times.

To finish, people can check the the ECM (one of ME's big boys) 0z 9th of February which is the Sunday. If you go look at that and still call ME out for what they said on Sunday and ignore the warning for winds Monday and Tuesday just because the lack of a RED warning, I dunno.

I agree with most of your points.

Met Eireann generally do a fantastic job with limited resources and me and you have the luxury of being able to make erroneous forecasts without any repercussions, or rather make no forecast at all!

However the national Meteorological Institute must be held to a much higher standard than amateur forecasters posting on a web forum.

Today's issuance of a widespread Orange warning for Munster & Leinster for me illustrates the issue with the warning on Tuesday.

Let us remember there was NO warning whatsoever for wind on Tuesday morning when a large majority of models were indicating a severe wind event for parts of Ireland.

Only very late in the day did Met E release a warning and then later release a Red Warning after midnight!

The fact is that Wednesday's storm was most definitely under-forecast by Met E. The fact that they ramped up Orange then Red Warnings as the event happened indicates this.

The windspeeds on the day were no shock if one had looked at the model consensus 24/36 hours before, yet it took Met E until the event was happening to spread warnings to counties that models had shown would be impacted severely.

The Issuance of Orange Warnings for minor events since, indicates further that they must have underestimated this event.

What frustrates me is I do not know why they did not release an wide range Orange warning for Munster and Leinster late Monday or early Tuesday. There was significant model support for a vigorous system to impact south and east Ireland at this time. Yes, uncertainty of the exact track, but with the risk of a significant impact event, it should have been made. It was not like this storm came as a shock when it hit, it was well forecast by models 36-48 hours out.

And today's issuance of a wide range Orange warnings is perhaps an illustration of why the warnings system used by Met Eireann must be looked at again. (There must be an introduction of both Impact and Probability in the Warning system and perhaps changes in the colour coding)

-- Also just to look at your last line, If Met E had of taken a look at the Ensemble maps on Sunday 0z they would have seen as much as 40% or greater of members showed a vigorous storm system over or near Ireland at the time. So the risk was there. This was heightened by the GEFS members also showing the risk of a deep low system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

People on here don't get mauled for making mistakes, ME do. Go back through some threads where MT hasn't been that accurate and see the response if someone called him on it, destroyed. I remember in my first weeks on here when I said I didn't need MT forecasts to know what was going on and people wanted me banned.

I think I must have missed all of this, except for the "not that accurate" forecasts, remember those and also some criticism for them actually, but all of this other stuff? Possibly inflated perceptions of much more general issues that some posters have had with the weather community. I do not feel responsible for anyone's problems with weather forum participation, if people leave or get banned, this is probably for a wide range of reasons, and I doubt that MTC forecasts are among those reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Great post John Icy. I spend a lot of time outdoors and I have always trusted MetE's forecasts implicitly. They have never let me down. I know and they know and all the 'experts' here know that Irish weather can chop and change completely. A forecast is really only reliable from about 24 hours out. There are a lot of people on here childishly trying to prove MetE wrong and its quite simply pathetic. The storm on Wednesday was really no big deal relatively speaking in Galway but I was under no illusions that it would be dangerous to venture out in it regardless. Job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Great post John Icy. I spend a lot of time outdoors and I have always trusted MetE's forecasts implicitly. They have never let me down. I know and they know and all the 'experts' here know that Irish weather can chop and change completely. A forecast is really only reliable from about 24 hours out. There are a lot of people on here childishly trying to prove MetE wrong and its quite simply pathetic. The storm on Wednesday was really no big deal relatively speaking in Galway but I was under no illusions that it would be dangerous to venture out in it regardless. Job done.

Never let you down? <snip>They've improved a good bit since then, but seem to have been making a mess of really obvious stuff just in the last year. What about last summer, anyway? They kept saying the good weather wouldn't last and it kept lasting. They finally said it would last and it ended! I routinely check several forecasts (not usually charts, forecasts) from April to October and ME's is the one I trust the least based on how frequently the forecast agrees with what happens. I don't mean to turn this into a ME bashing post, but my own experience of their accuracy obviously differs from yours (and hence, my trust in their forecasts) so I'm posting my experience for the sake of balance.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Oh...and just in case people think I am some sort of ME hugger, I am not.

I think the ME forecast for Wednesday's storm was lacking. Yes, they did forecast (very) strong winds, but, I believe, they failed to foresee the severity of the winds...the 'sting jet' basically.

From the prevailing conditions and the way the storm was evolving in the North Atlantic on Tuesday, it became apparent (to me and to many on Boards) that the 'sting jet' may come into play in Wednesday's storm. BTW, the UKMO did not spot or forecast this either.

As professional meteorologists, I cannot see why ME missed this? It was there to see as a strong possibility. There should have been a Red Status warning after (or even on) the 9pm news on Tuesday.

In this intstance, MT and the guys on here pretty much got it spot on. ME did not.

On the other side of this, there are lots and lots of other instances where storms/bad weather have been hyped on here, but at the end of the day, the ME forecast ends up being the way it pans out.

So...weather forecatsing...it's a funny old game!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

Met Éireann are discussed here as if they were one single body. But it's important to remember that forecasts from Met Eireann come from a roster of forecasters who make different judgement calls. One person may decide that a situation doesn't warrant a red warning, and he/she may be replaced at the end of a shift by someone with a different opinion or analysis. AFAIK it's a pretty small team, especially at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

A number of posts containing an unsubstantiated claim re Met Eireann have been removed - posts quoting the remarks have also been deleted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

DOCARCH wrote: »

From the prevailing conditions and the way the storm was evolving in the North Atlantic on Tuesday, it became apparent (to me and to many on Boards) that the 'sting jet' may come into play in Wednesday's storm. BTW, the UKMO did not spot or forecast this either.

As professional meteorologists, I cannot see why ME missed this? It was there to see as a strong possibility. There should have been a Red Status warning after (or even on) the 9pm news on Tuesday.
    lack of experience with developing extreme events I think.
    In this intstance, MT and the guys on here pretty much got it spot on. ME did not.

On the other side of this, there are lots and lots of other instances where storms/bad weather have been hyped on here, but at the end of the day, the ME forecast ends up being the way it pans out.

So...weather forecatsing...it's a funny old game!
    This is it.
    Talk of stingjets etc is common enough in this forum and mostly nothing comes of them, ie they don't materialize at all.
    So tbh,I think we should be thankful for the fact M.E have little experience of extremes.
    What octo mentioned is probably true regarding small team's being on duty and having different opinions leading to different forecasts.
    That's a serious systems issue if so that needs addressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

whitebriar wrote: »
    lack of experience with developing extreme events I think.

This is it.
    Talk of stingjets etc is common enough in this forum and mostly nothing comes of them, ie they don't materialize at all.
    So tbh,I think we should be thankful for the fact M.E have little experience of extremes.
    What octo mentioned is probably true regarding small team's being on duty and having different opinions leading to different forecasts.
    That's a serious systems issue if so that needs addressing.

No stingjet was evident in the end on water vapour imagery , no dry slot was apparent.

Just very strong pressure gradient resulted in the very intense winds.

I was expecting one though watching things unfold.

Advertisement