Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Ufuk.

Genuine Turkish name apparently - and its pronounced as you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

cantdecide wrote: »
    ...because I think I can beat them all. I swear I considered strangling the poor little bugger to death for his own good. Sit down. Calmly take a deep breath and prepare yourself...

Isis.
    This name is so much worse now than 3years ago, class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I always hated the name Jacinta. For obvious reasons.
    It sounds horrible when shouted- JA-CIN-TAAAAAAH.
    Urgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

No he isn't.

Is to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

ewinslet wrote: »
    Síofra is another name to add to the list of Irish names given to children by their gob****e parents - parents who then send them to Irish speaking schools to learn crucially important subjects like maths through Irish and then wonder why their child is a total idiot.

What would be the difference in learning maths through Irish and say Finnish, or Korean or any other non English language?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

This doublebarrelled surnames combination would sound appropriate:

Irish-Waters !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Guy who worked with my old mans company years ago, had a son born in 1986. Called him Diego. Poor bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

glynf wrote: »
    Guy who worked with my old mans company years ago, had a son born in 1986. Called him Diego. Poor bastard.

Always the case. Like the Rios and Ferdinands we see today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Cianos wrote: »
    Is he going to name them all in sequence? Poor little BJ :(

^^This is still getting thanked three years later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Spoke to a girl called Louvain today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Some names I came across while teaching in England were Desiree, Love, Beautiful, Princess and Promise. Hard to keep a straight face the first time you hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭goiko

I forgot this italian girl in my class whose name was Marika. That means f aggot in Spanish.

Sunny is a horrible name too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

A friend of mine's brother named his son 'Gaius' after Gaius Baltar from Battlestar Galactica.

Now I like Battlestar Galactica but even I want to bully that kid, let alone his schoolmates.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Hibernosaur

Gretchen. Awful name for a girl, great name for a goblin like creature.

I know a bloke named Sharon and another named Maria. In fairness they are Israeli so they probably think we're strange for calling women Sharon and Maria. After all the Hebrews invented the names first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ulick

Especially if your surname is McGee/Magee

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Gretchen. Awful name for a girl, great name for a goblin like creature.

It's a daft enough name in German - people would think you've jumped right out of Grimm's Fairy Tales, but at least it sounds kind of cute-ish.

I nearly fell of my chair when I first heard it pronounced by an English speaker, awful hacking and spitting noise.

Heidi is a pretty stupid name, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Especially if your surname is McGee/Magee

Close

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's a daft enough name in German - people would think you've jumped right out of Grimm's Fairy Tales, but at least it sounds kind of cute-ish.

I nearly fell of my chair when I first heard it pronounced by an English speaker, awful hacking and spitting noise.

Heidi is a pretty stupid name, too.

grate-hyen?
    sounds nicer than gretchen as english I guess :D

met a girl once who insisted imogen was pronounced with a hard g. Thankfully it wasn't her name or anyone else's present...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Gretchen always make me think of the words Wretch/Retch ... neither is a nice association. I never actually realised it was pronounced differently by Germans!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

bluewolf wrote: »
    grate-hyen?
    sounds nicer than gretchen as english I guess :D

met a girl once who insisted imogen was pronounced with a hard g. Thankfully it wasn't her name or anyone else's present...

Sort of, but with a soft "r", and a long "eh", not the English "ei" sound. :)

Still not a nice name, either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I know someone had a baby girl quite recently and called her Nia. When I got a text about it I thought it was a misspelling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

It's actually spelt Sadhbh. And I think it's a beautiful name.

We called our daughter Sadhbh. I love the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Just watching teen mom 2 and someone had a child on it called Moxon. FFS like Moxon what is wrong with the world?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I know someone had a baby girl quite recently and called her Nia. When I got a text about it I thought it was a misspelling

It's the Welsh version of Niamh. They have the same Celtic myth. It's not particularly unusual I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

cantdecide wrote: »
    The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Enda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Hoop66

There was a poo-pants Halford at my primary school. His parents didn't name him that, we did.

He pooed his pants ffs, what were we supposed to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Wellyd wrote: »
    Just watching teen mom 2 and someone had a child on it called Moxon. FFS like Moxon what is wrong with the world?!

Sounds like a stock cube...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 stoneruile

Because their not a pack of dirty squeaky innocent fools!!!

Here Star Man you come on here moaning like a little China Girl giving people abuse. Making noise like a Little Drummer boy. I'll meet you down at that chipper. You'll be falling around like you're trapped in a labyrinth!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

living in thailand for the past seven years and here everyone has two names - you have your official name on all of your official documents and then you have your nickname for daily life

some of the nicknames given to children by intelligent parents are quite astounding but two two best so far have been

Prince Paris Jackson - immediately after the death of Michael Jackson

Georgebushjunior - all as one word

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭harrymagina

Someone called their child "accident" True story.

Advertisement