Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to start with knowing where to go and what time?

Options
  • 30-10-2018 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Donegal town area here. Looking to start fishing. Not sure what time of the year is good? Any time? I have a regular rod and a fly rod. Probably just looking for trout and mackerel, but haven't a clue where or when to go. I've fished before years ago so i know how.
    Rivers? Lakes? Piers? Thanks.

Also, do i need license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gw80

irishsid wrote: »
    Donegal town area here. Looking to start fishing. Not sure what time of the year is good? Any time? I have a regular rod and a fly rod. Probably just looking for trout and mackerel, but haven't a clue where or when to go. I've fished before years ago so i know how.

Also, do i need license?
    Wouldn't know much about places to fish in Donegal but trout and salmon season is over now, opens March to September, but most lakes that stock rainbow trout would be open all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭irishsid

gw80 wrote: »
    Wouldn't know much about places to fish in Donegal but trout and salmon season is over now, opens March to September, but most lakes that stock rainbow trout would be open all year.

Cool, wasn't looking for specific locations. So you're saying stick to the lakes this time of year and go for rainbow trout? Would a spinner bet best or a fly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Hello :D

So - with regards times - if you want to get intricate, and I feel like getting Intricate!! We can look at the specific times a day fish will feed up!

This is to do with 4 points during the day - Sunrise / set and moonrise / set - Moon being the better of the 2! Why is the moon better? Solunar theory of course :D

Download solunar clock for your phone and this will be extremely simplified, (it'l tell you)

Next you want to look at pressure! Barometric pressure to be precise! Barometric pressure affects fish as fish have an air bladder, when the pressure is high, the deeper the fish are the more uncomfortable they feel so rise higher in the water, and, when the pressure is low (bad weather) they tend to go deeper. Low pressure is interesting - heres why....

When you have a period of fair or high pressure, with a low pressure front coming in, fish feel this, and tend to "feed up" in order ride out the storm - literally, they dont know how long it will last, so go on a big glutunous (sp) rampage! Watching for a storm, and following a fast dropping barometer can produce once in a lifetime fishing! Also - after a period of stormy weather, if fish have been in cover for a few days, as the weather clears they will fuel up to replenish spent resources!

Now - If you have a fast falling barometer coinciding with a moonrise at say high tide (be still, be still my heart) and by some godly grace you manage to recognize these patterns, you will become a raging lunatic! Show your wife this and tell her you need to go! Now! And you are not responsible for your actions if she disagrees!

After all that the best time to go fishing is when you want to and have some free time to get out into the fresh air and nature!

Learn to spin, learn to fly fish, learn to coarse fish, learn to boatfish, learn to surf fish.

I have no idea what donegal is like!!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭irishsid

ardinn wrote: »
    Hello :D ...

I have no idea what donegal is like!!

So you're saying i can lake fish in November? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

irishsid wrote: »

Also, do i need license?

None of the lakes or rivers near you are open at this time of year. Your local fishery is the Eske - river and lake. You need to join the club to be able to fish it - Charlie in the tackle shop can give you the details (if he's still open, been years since I was in there).

St. Peters Lake out past Mountcharles is stocked with rainbows but I don't think it's open this time of year, but worth checking.

Great sea fishing around Donegal Bay but for most of it you probably need a bigger rod - a beachcaster of 12-14ft with a matching reel. Sean Carty in the tackle shop in Bundoran does good deals on starter outfits and better gear and is great for advice. Check out Killybegs Mariners on Facebook - great club with regular competitions and outings, and guys who will be happy to show you the ropes.

It's getting late for spinning for mackerel but probably still a few around - Creevy pier is a good spot at high tide, or the mouth of the bay at Killybegs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BigSprogs

Creevy pier still throwing up some mackerel as of a few days ago. Good fishing for Pollack to be had there too, landed a 4 pounder earlier in the week over on the rocks by the castle. The pier is pretty good fishing for beginners though, just hope you don't hook one of the resident congers 😂

Advertisement