Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airspace: Phoenix park/Chapelizod

Options
  • 26-05-2020 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a Mavic Mini, I currently live in Chapelizod, I understand that Phoenix park is a no fly zone, when I check some of the no fly zone maps the no fly bubble will encroches onto Chapelizod. I'm sort of chancing my arm and wondering is this legitimately a no fly zone? Also is there a single source of truth? As most these seem to be managed by third parties

The maps I've been using are:

https://www.uaai.ie/airspace.html
    https://www.flyryte.com/airspace
    https://safedrone.ie/airspace-map/

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

it is real no-fly zone I'm afraid and DJI apps geo-fence will kick in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Flyryte's map is pretty useful as it is laid out according to Irish law as apposed to what DJI lets you do.

Curiously, the park isn't down as a no fly zone of DJI's own map
    Buy you will be breaking the law if you fly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

Flyryte's map is pretty useful as it is laid out according to Irish law as apposed to what DJI lets you do.

Curiously, the park isn't down as a no fly zone of DJI's own map
    Buy you will be breaking the law if you fly there.

thats weird, remember on Go 4 app when started my old Air on my patio, whole area starting from Law Society through Arbour Hill and Phoenix Park shown as no-fly zone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

Thanks for the replies guys!

Thats a bit of a pain, so its safe to assume you can't trust the DJI app to check for no fly zones?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Thats a bit of a pain, so its safe to assume you can't trust the DJI app to check for no fly zones?
    It's usually quite good on the four main zones (airfields/prisons/military/stadiums)

What it's not so good at is things protected park land. For instance, theres an area near Macroom that is a no fly zone for drones because it's a protected bird/wildlife sanctuary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

I'm not sure 'trust' is the issue, it's just safer to check DJI's map before you fly versus others as if there happens to be a restriction on DJI's map that doesn't exist elsewhere, you can't fly until it's updated/removed - simple as that.

Also, DJI's map have the 150m limit that extend outward from approach and landing paths of runways at airports.

Advertisement