Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

Comments

Oh Gawd. Sarah Mcinerney. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think Sarah is alright but the problem is she is not a heavy hitter and thats what this position needs.

When Pat Kenny left for Newstalk everyone thought that his listeners would go with him, they ran their 'turn the dial' media campaign for about six months but it didnt stick. The reason for that was because Sean did far better than any expectations, not only did he retain Pat Kennys audience, he also built on it. The Newstalk plan of poaching a heavy hitter from RTE was left in ruin because RTE replaced him with someone equally as competent.

The danger for RTE giving it to Sarah permanently is that this time people would actually turn the dial and head over to Pat Kenny. They need a big name in there to go head to head with Kenny, Sarah would be too big of a risk in that regard IMO.

Pat Kenny is currently 72 years old, he'll probably be retiring soon (fingers crossed ;)), I think Sarah McInerney is okay, however she can be painful to listen to too sometimes. I think you are right that RTE will probably be thinking they need a big name to go up against Pat on Newstalk, and Sarah McInerney isn't that yet. Could RTE consider someone like Sharon Ní Bheoláin or even more Mary Wilson to this time?

When Sean O'Rourke was selected to take over from Pat, I was thinking that wouldn't work, and he turned out to be way better that Pat

Here's the list of my hopefuls:
    1. Bryan Dobson
    2. Rachel English
    3. Cormac O’hEadhra
    4. Sarah McInerney
    5. Tony Connelly

and here's the list of hopefully not getting the job:
    1. Brendan O'Connor (no, no, no, no, please no)
    2. Matt Cooper (a complete pain in the @r$e)
    3. Miriam O'Callaghan (me, meself and I!!!)
    4. Ciara Kelly
    5. Claire Byrne
    6. Jonathan Healy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Excellent handling of Mary Lou this morning on her childcare insurance being underwritten by the taxpayer guff. Cool, calm and asked all the right questions.

I was surprised actually. I was expecting that to quickly descend in to a petty screechfest. I don't think they particularly like each other. But having initially interrupted a few times, Sarah did maintain professionalism for the rest of the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

GeneHunt wrote: »
    [/B]

Pat Kenny is currently 72 years old, he'll probably be retiring soon (fingers crossed ;)), I think Sarah McInerney is okay, however she can be painful to listen to too sometimes. I think you are right that RTE will probably be thinking they need a big name to go up against Pat on Newstalk, and Sarah McInerney isn't that yet. Could RTE consider someone like Sharon Ní Bheoláin or even more Mary Wilson to this time?

When Sean O'Rourke was selected to take over from Pat, I was thinking that wouldn't work, and he turned out to be way better that Pat

Here's the list of my hopefuls:
    1. Bryan Dobson
    2. Rachel English
    3. Cormac O’hEadhra
    4. Sarah McInerney
    5. Tony Connelly

and here's the list of hopefully not getting the job:
    1. Brendan O'Connor (no, no, no, no, please no)
    2. Matt Cooper (a complete pain in the @r$e)
    3. Miriam O'Callaghan (me, meself and I!!!)
    4. Ciara Kelly
    5. Claire Byrne
    6. Jonathan Healy

Tony Connelly was one that came to my mind also but also Richard Curran

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

BarryD2 wrote: »
    That is a depressing thought, on both counts.

Yeah agreed, it will be a puke inducing moment if it happens. But by all accounts she wants that job in the Aras badly and Michael D deciding to run for a second term completely scuppered her plans so now she is left waiting until late 2025 for the next opportunity.

I've heard that everything Miriam does and has done is with a view to running for President at some stage, eg her jumping up and down wanting to take a pay cut in 2009- done to avoid potential criticism in a presidential election campaign. Her many many photoshoots for charity X, Y or Z- done to promote Brand Miriam as a charity queen. Same with the almost weekly interviews for celeb pages and websites, its all done with her own self promotion in mind. The sad thing is when she runs she'll probably win it too.

Anyway I thought Sarah did pretty well this morning, she was calm and reassured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah agreed, it will be a puke inducing moment if it happens. But by all accounts she wants that job in the Aras badly and Michael D deciding to run for a second term completely scuppered her plans so now she is left waiting until late 2025 for the next opportunity.

I've heard that everything Miriam does and has done is with a view to running for President at some stage, eg her jumping up and down wanting to take a pay cut in 2009- done to avoid potential criticism in a presidential election campaign. Her many many photoshoots for charity X, Y or Z- done to promote Brand Miriam as a charity queen. Same with the almost weekly interviews for celeb pages and websites, its all done with her own self promotion in mind. The sad thing is when she runs she'll probably win it too.

Anyway I thought Sarah did pretty well this morning, she was calm and reassured.

She’s far from a certainty for president.

The electorate don't really take charity work into account in a presidential election.

Look how Adi Roche and Mary Davis polled despite doing a lot more than Miriam and her "ladies who lunch" MO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

Persepoly wrote: »
    Oh Gawd. Sarah Mcinerney. :(

Wouldn't be her biggest fan myself, but I think that she improved as the week went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Tony Connelly was one that came to my mind also but also Richard Curran

Hmmmm.....some.... erm.... connections there ?

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

David McCullough?

NIMAN wrote: »
    David McCullough?

Not. A. Chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Have not heard her on the new slot but I don't like her interviewing style, constantly interrupting with other questions before the interviewee has answered.

Chiparus wrote: »
    Have not heard her on the new slot but I don't like her interviewing style, constantly interrupting with other questions before the interviewee has answered.

when it comes to interrupting Sara McInerney is in the hal'penny place compared to Ciara Kelly :rolleyes:

when it comes to interrupting Sara McInerney is in the hal'penny place compared to Ciara Kelly :rolleyes:

Or Brendan O'Connor who could leave them all for dead;)

Don't know if it has been mentioned but, Aine Lawlor anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mav11 wrote: »
    Don't know if it has been mentioned but, Aine Lawlor anybody?

please god NO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Probably tainted from her Newstalk days. She effectively got the bullet there.

Probably tainted from her Newstalk days. She effectively got the bullet there.

Presumably you are referring to Sarah, Dutch?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

I think Audrey Carville might be good or if they were not tied to a female Gavan Jennings.

To be fair Sarah McInerney is doing well. They are right to take their time. While Brendan O Connor has at least changed Sunday's panel a little I just wonder about him. A little aggressive and prone to taking to the pulpit like with the column in the Sindo.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

feardeas wrote: »
    I think Audrey Carville might be good or if they were not tied to a female Gavan Jennings.

To be fair Sarah McInerney is doing well. They are right to take their time. While Brendan O Connor has at least changed Sunday's panel a little I just wonder about him. A little aggressive and prone to taking to the pulpit like with the column in the Sindo.

Personally I am house bound at the moment and I have listened to a lot more radio than I usually would but I’m finding the constant repetition of covid 19 facts and analysis a bit much and after morning Ireland I’ve had enough. Sean O Rourke at least seemed to have more variety on offer but perhaps Sarah is not responsible for the content but I find myself turning off as I do when I hear Joe Duffy coming on.

Who's the lunatic she's interviewing at the moment.
    Seriously

They really had nobody better to interview?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

The fact that Brian Hayes could move so quickly from supposedly representing his constituents to now representing the bankers really sits uneasy with me. This should have never been allowed without a very long cooling off period.

It really would have you wondering who he was batting for when he was sitting in the Dáil to be rewarded with such a position. It would make you lose what little faith you had in politics and the motivations of politicians.

feardeas wrote: »

Have to agree with you, she appears to be growing into it. She seems to be beginning to ask the probing questions now. Although I think that she is probably better suited to panel discussions than Brendan O'Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The fact that Brian Hayes could move so quickly from supposedly representing his constituents to now representing the bankers really sits uneasy with me. This should have never been allowed without a very long cooling off period.

It really would have you wondering who he was batting for when he was sitting in the Dáil to be rewarded with such a position. It would make you lose what little faith you had in politics and the motivations of politicians.

He wasn't a TD since 2014.

His appointment to his current position followed 5 years as a Member of the European Parliament. So we can probably conclude that he has not breached any rules of either Dail Eireann or the European Parliament.

I take your point about the "revolving door" but it is the European Parliament rules that need reviewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Charlie Flanagan is really one of the worst Minister's to ever hold a senior portfolio and that's saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

jay0109 wrote: »
    Charlie Flanagan is really one of the worst Minister's to ever hold a senior portfolio and that's saying something.

Disagree. He’s been minister for foreign affairs and minister for justice and minister for children and Youth affairs over almost a decade

I can think of way worse ministers than him.

Exhibit 1 - Shane ross

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

I’ve been very critical of Sarah McInerney in the past but she has done well here grilling Charlie Flanagan. He will be very embarrassed by his performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I’ve been very critical of Sarah McInerney in the past but she has grilled Charlie Flangan here, He will be very embarrassed by his performance.

I have to disagree to be honest. I think they're trying to make a big deal out of nothing here. People will complain until asylum seekers get out a plane and brought straight to their new house. I don't see the issue with strangers having to share a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

I live near other people, nobody tells me if anyone has the virus here, why would they tell Cahirciveen?
    Or is it because they are refugees and the locals don’t want them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Paulownia wrote: »
    I live near other people, nobody tells me if anyone has the virus here, why would they tell Cahirciveen?
    Or is it because they are refugees and the locals don’t want them?
    Have the people living near you moved into the area recently, since the Covid crisis? Or have they been inhabitants of the area for a while? Because I think there is a big difference between people who are established inhabitants of an area, and those who have recently moved in (from abroad) during a national crisis. The HSE are talking about an app which will tell users where active cases are, I don't think it is too much to expect that the status of people coming into the country (at our goodwill) be made clear to all. Or maybe, that's "racist" these days :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Disagree. He’s been minister for foreign affairs and minister for justice and minister for children and Youth affairs over almost a decade

I can think of way worse ministers than him.

Exhibit 1 - Shane ross

I wouldn't consider Transport/Sport/Tourism to be 1 of the senior Portfolios.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement