Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Water charges for excessive usage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,502 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

markodaly wrote: »
    Other countries also waste money. I know, that might be surprising to hear,

Not at all, I imagine they do, not to our level when it comes to spending the public's money mind.

But other countries have a thing called "accountability".
    but that should not detract from the fundamental point that water is a utility and should be paid for.

It is paid for. Go home this evening and turn on your tap if you need proof.

Now TBF, you are making a classic mistake. You think if it charged for at source then magically we will get a better service.

Silly rabbit.

Loads of memories flooding back.

Remember the time Irish Water spend 6k on laughing yoga?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Boggles wrote:
    Remember the time Irish Water spend 6k on laughing yoga?

Laughing yoga was a minor thing, bonuses were incorporated into the set up before a leaky tap was fixed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I did answer just not to your liking. You need it grow up a d move on.

B likes to drag his little jolities on and on and on after a while you realise he has no point to make. Don't waste your time.
    Taxation only taxes the decent people who work and contribute tax.

In fairness, property tax and water tax are trying to "tax" everyone equally and avoid directly dropping the generous social welfare payments.

This was another flaw. The tax payer always pays. Billing people on welfare seems great and all but that's coming from the tax payer. We'd likely save on administration by not carrying on the farce.

Laughing yoga was a minor thing, bonuses were incorporated into the set up before a leaky tap was fixed .

Laughing Yoga was a minor spend, all though 6k isn't that minor TBF.

Someones annual tax liability laughed into thin air.

It was indicative of what Irish Water was and would become if it were allowed borrow on the opening market.

Unsustainable.

That was another. When there was talk of closing it, it's supporters, those who oft thread these boards complaining about unions and civil servants, were quick to point out the contracts IW had entered into meant it would cost us a fortune to try wind it down. With all the FG pals on the board it's quite clear FG are the bigger problem not unions or civil servants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

B likes to drag his like jolities on and on and on after a while you realise he has no point to make. Don't waste your time.

Noted and I'd rather not derail the thread.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I wonder how many of the 80k houses using excessive water are on a shared supply. Irish Water semi regularly contacts me to tell me I must have a leak because of excessive water usage at my house. It doesn't matter how many times I tell them that I'm not the only house using my supply, they keep forgetting and contacting me again. It's a total waste of money because they are unable to deal with a scenario that they know about but don't seem to take into account. I have no doubt that I'm being counted as one of those 80k houses, when from what I can work out, our water usage per household on the supply is actually low.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

That was another. When there was talk of closing it, it's supporters, those who oft thread these boards complaining about unions and civil servants, were quick to point out the contracts IW had entered into meant it would cost us a fortune to try wind it down. With all the FG pals on the board it's quite clear FG are the bigger problem not unions or civil servants.
    FG and wafflee Leo need to f**k off out of our lives fast

iguana wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the 80k houses using excessive water are on a shared supply. Irish Water semi regularly contacts me to tell me I must have a leak because of excessive water usage at my house. It doesn't matter how many times I tell them that I'm not the only house using my supply, they keep forgetting and contacting me again. It's a total waste of money because they are unable to deal with a scenario that they know about but don't seem to take into account. I have no doubt that I'm being counted as one of those 80k houses, when from what I can work out, our water usage per household on the supply is actually low.

Send a registered letter to the head of that department, (billing?). I had a similar issue with Eircom a long time ago. I cancelled my account and they kept sending bills. Every cycle I had to call and get them to quash it. Then next cycle I was hit again. I sent a registered letter to the head of billing explaining the situation and that was the last I heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Everyone pays tax, income tax is not the only form of tax we pay.

But if you're talking about the unemployed paying VAT, then it's the State giving them €100 and them giving back €21.

Not exactly a net contributor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,940 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Boggles wrote: »
    It is paid for. Go home this evening and turn on your tap if you need proof.

Paying for a utility from general taxation is Magic Money Tree economics. Its a utility, it should be treated as such.
    Now TBF, you are making a classic mistake. You think if it charged for at source then magically we will get a better service.

Its how it is done in every OECD country. If you believe in Irish exceptionalism, then fair enough but that is the case.
    If someone has to pay for a service, rather then it being paid for out of some big magic pot, they will, in turn, treat the utility with more respect.

iguana wrote: »

I have never know a company to give such vague figures.
    It estimates that around 80,000 households around the country use more than 213,000 litres of water a year

Surely a break down of those figures would be more beneficial.

Like if 40,000 household use over 220,000 litres, that would put a completely different slant on it.
    The CRU says between 7% and 10% of domestic metered households are using more than the annual allowance.

It then goes on to say that 60% of that is from leaks.

So taking their top estimate of 10%, that means 4% are going over the cap by actual usage. Of course there is no break down of the make up of that household.

So in reality, 96-98% of the country stay below the cap and they do that without threat of penalty.

So the narrative we are a bunch of wasteful fúcks doesn't add up.

If someone has to pay for a service, rather then it being paid for out of some big magic pot, they will, in turn, treat the utility with more respect.

It isn't a magic pot, our governance has decided on how to fund it going forward.

Irish Water's own figures prove we are beyond respectful when it comes to water.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It then goes on to say that 60% of that is from leaks.

So taking their top estimate of 10%, that means 4% are going over the cap by actual usage. Of course there is no break down of the make up of that household.

So in reality, 96-98% of the country stay below the cap and they do that without threat of penalty.

So the narrative we are a bunch of wasteful fúcks doesn't add up.
    All they have done is get approval to charge people where excess usage is determined; a fairly prudent move to have that option available anyway. There is a long lead-in planned to that charge being issued and they have not denied some of it may indeed be leaks. What they have stated is that 80K households appear to be using above the limit in some manner, leaks or otherwise and that has to be addressed.

It isn't a magic pot, our governance has decided on how to fund it going forward.

Irish Water's own figures prove we are beyond respectful when it comes to water.

So, again you refuse to answer the question.

General taxation is one big pot. If you think funding a utility from this is a good idea, then fine but again not ONE of the other OECD countries fund water services like this and for very very good reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

There are more ways to tackle issues than by ‘marching’ my friend.

What ‘austerity measures’ do you feel we’re not adequately opposed as a matter of interest?
    Noted and I'd rather not derail the thread.

Neither would I,so I’ll just leave that there.

Nothing personal but you need to big up on stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I thought we always paid for water through vehicle tax,

There is no need for Carbon taxes because we pay VAT. That is the logic here from some.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

goat2 wrote: »

So if you didn’t have a vehicle, you didn’t have to pay for water?

Shuuuurely shhhomme mishhhtake:D

If you think funding a utility from this is a good idea.

A cross party committee and our governance decided that's how it should be done.

You'll have to take it up with them Mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,843 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And when you purchase a good or service that pays commercial water rates.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

We do.

We also pay for it through LPT.

And let's not forget they also raided the pension reserve fund to set up this quango.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,843 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There is no need for Carbon taxes because we pay VAT. That is the logic here from some.

Are the carbon taxes to pay for replacements for all our fossil fuel power plants; or to reduce consumption? Or are they just a money gathering exercise.
    The answer is different.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

is_that_so wrote: »
    What they have stated is that 80K households appear to be using above the limit in some manner, leaks or otherwise and that has to be addressed.

I know what they stated, I went through it line by line in the post you quoted.

My point is this could have been framed as the good news story it is.

Ireland has up to 98% compliance of the cap.

And that without threat of penalty.

I've heard that before actually, it was tacked on at some stage in the 70s.

Don't know if it is true or not.

What is true is
    The semi-state body received a subvention of €439 million in 2014 and is expected to receive €399 million and €479 million in 2015 and 2016 respectively.

The committee heard that two thirds of this money came from motor tax payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

is_that_so wrote: »
    All they have done is get approval to charge people where excess usage is determined; a fairly prudent move to have that option available anyway. There is a long lead-in planned to that charge being issued and they have not denied
    some of it may indeed be leaks. What they have stated is that 80K households appear to be using above the limit in some manner, leaks or otherwise and that has to be addressed.

Why dont they address it now by contacting those householders and see what the issue is? Is it a leak in the property? Is it someone who just wastes water? Or is it a leak in IW pipes? Are these 80000 households all metered?

I've heard that before actually, it was tacked on at some stage in the 70s.

Don't know if it is true or not.

What is true is

Tis true. Rates were abolished back in the 70’s by, I think FF, but could be wrong. A levy was put on road tax instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Why dont they address it now by contacting those householders and see what the issue is? Is it a leak in the property? Is it someone who just wastes water? Or is it a leak in IW pipes? Are these 80000 households all metered?

That's what they are doing. Contractors have leak investigation surveyors visiting the properties where there is a constant flow of water being measured going through the meter on the road every day.

I know what they stated, I went through it line by line in the post you quoted.

My point is this could have been framed as the good news story it is.

Ireland has up to 98% compliance of the cap.

And that without threat of penalty.

Well the story only emerged in the context of their request for approval , which obviously required an explanation of the current state of affairs and process that would be used to address it. That good news is not here yet!

• Advertisement

Tis true. Rates were abolished back in the 70’s by, I think FF, but could be wrong. A levy was put on road tax instead.
    It was FF and for a brief period there was no car tax either back in 1978!

Advertisement