Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,726 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

awec wrote: »
    It could be that Leinster are now reverting to a more normal team, with normal depth levels, and what you've enjoyed the past number of years is a freakish, exceptional period, rather than being the norm.

jesus i severely hope not....

ireland already have 3 normal teams who dont win anything, dont want to have a 4th

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

troyzer wrote: »
    Being just like every other team isn't enough to win Europe. That's the problem.

Yes it is, it just means, like pretty much everyone else, you can't absorb a lot of injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Leinster will be fine next season the players that they are loosing arent that much better then talent coming through

mcgrath is the biggest loss - other than that we arent losing much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Our depth is already the worst it's been for a few years. We needed quality replacements coming off the bench on Saturday and we just didn't have them. It's going to get worse next year, unless we see a real step up from some of the younger guys.

awec is right, we're at the tail end of an absolutely freakish run of talent emerging. In the last couple of years we've had genuine top-class players come through in Furlong, Ryan, VDF, Leavy and Ringrose, but we need more if we're to remain at the top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Our depth is great we have exeptional players in the academy and a lot of those guys would be making appearances for the other provinces already,

However there is always a gap that appears every couple of years when an established player who's been had the jersey leaves and theres the question of can the younger guy step up

Its the natural cycle of a club - and most clubs would buy in players to fill the gap - Leinster will use there academy to grow into those positions and that is why Leinster are one of the best clubs in the world

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Our depth is already the worst it's been for a few years. We needed quality replacements coming off the bench on Saturday and we just didn't have them. It's going to get worse next year, unless we see a real step up from some of the younger guys.

awec is right, we're at the tail end of an absolutely freakish run of talent emerging. In the last couple of years we've had genuine top-class players come through in Furlong, Ryan, VDF, Leavy and Ringrose, but we need more if we're to remain at the top level.

The U20 just won a 6 nations with the majority of players coming from Leinster.

The likes of Harry Byrne etc will soon be pushing for a place in the Pro14 team....

Not sure where all the doom and gloom has come from after 1 loss....I havent heard anyone mention the player coming into the academy are suddenly a drop off from previous years. If anything people are saying they are more adapt and ready to start in first team than ever.....

Maybe a bit of positivity.....the games during the WC will give a good group of players a chance at getting a start, I hope to see a couple of gems coming next season

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Leinster players named in the JWC squad, Charlie Ryan is the captain.

Declan Adamson
    Ryan Baird
    Tom Clarkson
    Brian Deeny
    John McKee
    Michael Milne
    Martin Moloney
    Charlie Ryan
    Charlie Ward
    Ronan Watters
    Cormac Foley
    Adam LaGrue
    Rob Russell
    Liam Turner

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The source of our incredible depth is still there. Nothing has changed. These things just ebb and flow because players aren’t produced at a consistent rate.

If there’s a drop off, and that certainly remains to be seen, then it’ll be temporary unless someone else develops an academy that can compete with Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I have thought since early in the season that Leinster had lost a bit of their edge over the previous ones. Players get jaded, get older, get injured and distracted and less able to perform the high octane stuff endlessly. They are still a top 2 or 3 team but the invincibility isn't there at the moment. Some players have looked good - eg. Toner has had a great run and Healy and Bob too but something isn't quite gelling. I am sure it will return but the RWC is coming at a bad time for the team. Players who have been running at 100% for 3 seasons don't need the pressure of the expectations of the World Cup. But it is what it is. Losing some older guys is what happens to every team. The hallmark of Leinster has been the ability to replace players. That will continue.

Success is cyclical. Not even Leinster can win everything every year. They need to take a breath and regroup and they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I don't have many worries with regards to what's coming up through the academy. I've very high hopes for Penney, Byrne and Baird. Penney has already broken through to the senior ranks and Baird look to have that freakish physicality to play at a high level.

Then you've the guys that are slightly older in Deegan, Porter and Doris. Porter's already a Grand Slam winner and Deegan is right on the cusp of breaking through in the backrow. The bigger worry I'd have is other provinces poaching these lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Where did you see this?

Also, everyone lamenting about the perceived lack of imports is just completely disregarding the players we have in situ.

Conor O'Brien is a European standard player now

Ed Byrne is likely to get a cap this summer and will be first choice for all of the start of next season having gotten knock out rugby experience this season.

We can play JGP, Fardy and Lowe in the same team next season.

Frawley has another year of Pro14 rugby under his belt and will push on.

We have a super star in the making in Scott Penny who at 19 has already shown he's up to pro14 standard at least.

Jack Dunne looks ready to sieze his chance with Nagle and Kearney gone.

Doris and Deegan are another year older with both of them clearly up to it at mid European level

Yes we've lost some experience. But look at what is coming through. Any other club would absolutely murder to have these fellas knocking at the door.

If I had to choose between parachuting in a marquee because they've a few European caps or a young person whose grown up in the Leinster winning culture I know who'd I'd back 10 times out of 10

It's safe to say that Sexton is clearly on the downward spiral. He has played so little and has not reached the levels of previous years.
    Ed Byrne imo, is not an international class prop. I think he's a good squad player. He's had a good season but, I think he's reached his level.
    Tomane may not be as good as we think!
    Lowe defensively is almost invisible. Larmour is learning on the fly, and he has improved. But he is not RK.
    A Byrne is the same as Lowe defensively. Leavy may not return to full strenght.
    All in all, we have a lot of question Mark's everywhere.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    It's safe to say that Sexton is clearly on the downward spiral. He has played so little and has not reached the levels of previous years.
    E

Based on what?

He was in cracking form right up to the injury at Christmas...probably playing some of his best rugby

Then the injury and I think we can all say he hasn't been right since then. I actually dont think he is fully fit. Maye close to it for the Toulouse game and he played well v Saracens.....

Sexton has only played the big match's for Leinster for years now anyway....he always has about 50% less minutes than the other 10's at Leinster.....Ross Byrne is a quality player. Frawley is showing promise but I think both of them might get jumped by Harry Byrne.....not a bad line up

Anyway, if Munster sign Pollard then we can take Joey back.....back to his proper home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭scott1974

Ed Byrne imo, is not an international class prop. I think he's a good squad player. He's had a good season but, I think he's reached his level.
    Lowe defensively is almost invisible. Larmour is learning on the fly, and he has improved. But he is not RK.

You're right, winning the Champions Cup last week would have just papered over the cracks..

scott1974 wrote: »
    You're right, winning the Champions Cup last week would have just papered over the cracks..

I think we just say it was good while it last and just head home....no point anymore :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The current world player of the year? Please. A dip in form is not a downward spiral.

The current world player of the year? Please. A dip in form is not a downward spiral.

Current, but not this years! His age is getting up there. His injuries don't help. At this point, I think he's been sub par for the most part. It's likely that he's going into his last couple of seasons. I also think his role as captain has not helped him. But, it's my opinion. That's what I think.
    As far as Leinster go, a good bit of game time for Frawley would be ideal. I agree that the Byrne brothers could be the future. Frawley could be an outstanding player also.

Current, but not this years! His age is getting up there. His injuries don't help. At this point, I think he's been sub par for the most part. It's likely that he's going into his last couple of seasons. I also think his role as captain has not helped him. But, it's my opinion. That's what I think.
    As far as Leinster go, a good bit of game time for Frawley would be ideal. I agree that the Byrne brothers could be the future. Frawley could be an outstanding player also.

I assume you're taking the p!ss or you have inordinate high standards.

Hes played 146 minutes of rugby for Leinster in 2019 and he's on a 'downward spiral'? Even in the three between his award and 2019 he played twice against Bath (wins) and against Munster.

It's hard to even consider the Ireland games for individual performances as it was error strewn left right and centre.

Until his injury he was just after helping his team to a win against NZ and 2 wins against Bath.....

What difference has the captain role made? he is always in the ref ear anyway? now he just has a reason to be :P:P:P

Does Frawley play 15? didnt he play 15? I have a feeling is the Byrne biys progress then Frawley could be move to 15.....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Until his injury he was just after helping his team to a win against NZ and 2 wins against Bath.....

What difference has the captain role made? he is always in the ref ear anyway? now he just has a reason to be :P:P:P

Does Frawley play 15? didnt he play 15? I have a feeling is the Byrne biys progress then Frawley could be move to 15.....

Frawley had played there a few times, mainly as the replacement 10 who has had to drop back due to injury or otherwise. He's looked very comfortable there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

You're actually laughably full of it mate.

• Advertisement

Frawley had played there a few times, mainly as the replacement 10 who has had to drop back due to injury or otherwise. He's looked very comfortable there!

The old memory is going but I seemed to remember him at 15....might be option for back up if Kearney does head

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The old memory is going but I seemed to remember him at 15....might be option for back up if Kearney does head

Sorry, I didn't phrase my post well at all. He was definitely playing 15, you're not wrong. :)

I meant to say he was on the bench as a replacement 10 but ended up playing replacement 15 for Kearney alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Sorry, I didn't phrase my post well at all. He was definitely playing 15, you're not wrong. :)

I meant to say he was on the bench as a replacement 10 but ended up playing replacement 15 for Kearney alright.

Frawley played mostly 12/15 with the U20s and in his first year of the academy with the As. I'd say with the likes of younger Byrne coming through the ranks he'll be used as a utility back over the next while.

You're actually laughably full of it mate.

Thanks

Do you all think that Sexton will be a top level oh much longer?
    I don't think he will! Age is a factor. Bowe and Trimble went south very quickly. Anyway, it's just my opinion. Love it or hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭joseywhales

His game does not depend on power and pace, so he should be able to continue for a few years, although if he starts dropping deeper to avoid injury, it could be argued that he will have lost his greatest asset.

He'll be around for a few years I imagine, unless he gets a big offer from France

Do you all think that Sexton will be a top level oh much longer?
    I don't think he will! Age is a factor. Bowe and Trimble went south very quickly. Anyway, it's just my opinion. Love it or hate it.

Bowe and Trimble play on the wing.....a different position with different requirements

Even Trimble himself said he seen Stockdale in training and knew the gig was up

Bowe at the end had such a run of injurys for his long term future he was better giving it up, his knees etc had gone

Hardly a good comparison. Contepomi would be a better comparison

P.S. The kiss of death to any comment if when Henry Ford III clicks on the thanks, you know you are wrong then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Lowe is an incredible attacker but his defence varies between very competent and poor.

He's a lot more dangerous on the fringes and I think he'd be wasted as a 15. I think the 11 jersey is his

Lowe is crap anywhere but 11. In particular the couple of times I saw him play at 15, well, he was poison, not even AIL level...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I thought Jlowe was very effectively carrying at first near the ruck. He should play seven

• Advertisement

Not sure why we would try and convert one of our best wingers into a 15......how many games in a row has Larmour got at 15? has he even got 2 yet?

Not sure why we are writing him off? if it is based on the Ireland v Argentina match I think we need to look at the wingers for that match who provided no support to Larmour, they played likeRob was at 15

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement