Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yeah, wouldn't mind seeing either H Byrne or Frawley getting some time at the weekend.

Frawley travelled with the team at the weekend so I would assume he's in line to take the 22 jersey. It's probably about time he got a little more exposure if he's to kick on. He still only has 5 starts for Leinster despite being around the first team squad for a couple of years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭KH25

Tomane out for 6-8 weeks with his hamstring. Shame, he had been playing very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Well this is some awful news to start the week. Next we'll be told Ryan is out.

Sexton going for a scan. The way his knee bent when he was going down would make me think an absence of a couple of months isn't out of the question.

Tomane has rotten luck. He really needs these games to solidify his spot and build on his good form. He'll be playing catch up from whenever he gets back and will probably struggle to get back into our first choice 23 from here.

Looks like Ryan could be out after his HIA but remains to be seen. I'd have little issue with Fardy and Toner starting and Molony coming onto the bench although any side would miss Ryan.

On the plus side, Cronin is fully fit now which will give us a boost from the bench (assuming he doesn't go straight back into the team).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    That rabble got top of table in Pro 12 and got to a final

Also the revolution started that season after the disaster of the MOC era and not playing the academy players....a transition season, some of that experience helped those players win the HC

Alternatively, a team full of international got outclassed and beaten by double scores by a side with hardly any regular internationals in the league final and finished last in their European Cup pool with one win and five losses. Leinster finishing bottom with five losses out of six! You almost wouldn't believe it if you hadn't seen it it with your own eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,129 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I reckon Cronin will debut in the interpro's. Sexton's leg twisted like a wet noodle. I hope it's not serious. He was going very well. RK must realize that his days are now numbered. If anything. Larmour provided brilliance this weekend. He was devastating in all aspects. But for me Lowe really shone. 1st time I saw a complete top rate performance from him under the high ball and on the defensive side of the ball. Brilliant effort.
    Ruddock and VDF are monsters.
    James Ryan was very poor. I would rate him a 7 to 8, lol.
    What a freak, even when others are taking the spotlight, he is still great!
    Next week we should rotate. Furlong back in, Fardy to 5
    RK at 15? Maybe Treacy starting?
    A win and we8be sailing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

KH25 wrote: »
    Tomane out for 6-8 weeks with his hamstring. Shame, he had been playing very well.

Good chance for O'brien to make some strides at 12 in the interpros

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Rob Kearneys in a tough spot, you could argue investing in Keenan now would be the better choice then playing Rob in the pro14

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

Clegg wrote: »
    I agree with everything apart from your point of VdF. He's not just one of the best forwards in the country. He's currently the best player in Ireland forward or back.

Have to agree with this. VDF is the best player in the country at the moment and all the talk of newcomer Conners getting a Champions Cup start has to be put in perspective. Conners while good in one or two matches against medium standard Pro14 competition VDF has gotten MOM against the Top teams in France and England. He is literally our first name on the teamsheet.

If the final was next weekend I'd bet the house on Furlong starting.

Anyway thought that was a weird game. There was a period in the third quarter where the score was 16-31, Leinster had scored 5 tries to Northampton's single try, where Leinster were under severe pressure and a try would have made it a game again. Great defence obviously for 70+ mins, don't need to talk about VdF but I thought Doris was outstanding. No doubt at all he's a European level player and he'll be pushing for Ireland if he keeps playing like that. His carrying was really excellent imo, shedload of tackles, won a turnover and should have had another.

The thing that differentiates Doris is the amount of go forward ball he gives you and his ability to always be one of the first players to the breakdown. He mixes the classy breaks with the dirty work in equal measure.

Conan also gives us go forward but Doris seems to do it more often at crucial field positions. It will be a fascinating battle for the 8 shirt when Conan gets back. Doris always seems to glide past the first shoulder of the first defender he comes up against also.

• Advertisement

Conan is a better player imo. He's a quality passer and link man and his defense and work rate have improved. Deegan is similar to Conan. All three will be vying for minutes. Doris is good, but not as well rounded, imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'd say that game was hard to watch from the bench for Bob Kearney. Larmour tore it up, he was unselfish, good under the high ball.

The fact he was picked at fullback with DK on the wing shows Leinster rate the added value of Larmour at fullback more than they rate the difference between Rob and Dave rn. While it might well revert next week, it is notable that the away game was the one Larmour started. Even when we might have done with the extra experience the young lad was backed.

I'd say Kearney knew that he was in for a season of transition beginning with IRFU's reluctance to renew his contract.

I would expect Larmour to start again this week. Northampton's unstructured, fast and loose game is tailor made for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Rob Kearneys in a tough spot, you could argue investing in Keenan now would be the better choice then playing Rob in the pro14

Plenty of games there for Keenan, over Christmas and during the 6N. If anything happens to Larmour, you would want Kearney well-oiled and ready to step in.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Have to agree with this. VDF is the best player in the country at the moment and all the talk of newcomer Conners getting a Champions Cup start has to be put in perspective. Conners while good in one or two matches against medium standard Pro14 competition VDF has gotten MOM against the Top teams in France and England. He is literally our first name on the teamsheet.

One thing I find amazing about him is, apart from all the breakdown work- the amount of times when Leinster score a try (from anywhere on the pitch), VdF appears on the shoulder of the tryscorer. He seems to have real rugby smarts to be able to make himself available wherever he is required in attack as well as defence and it points to what a phenomenally fit player he is.

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Kearney missed a trick not going abroad this year IMO.

• awec wrote: »
    Kearney missed a trick not going abroad this year IMO.

He previously said he'd be happy to tarnish his reputation and slowly fall out of favour at Leinster than go abroad.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Conan is a better player imo. He's a quality passer and link man and his defense and work rate have improved. Deegan is similar to Conan. All three will be vying for minutes. Doris is good, but not as well rounded, imo

I think Doris is actually the most rounded and will be a superb player in another couple of years. He doesn't have the distribution of the others yet (but is still an abrasive carrier with decent hands and control at the base) but he has a very solid breakdown presence and is probably a more natural jumper too.

Deegan is a decent poaching threat but Doris is an all rounder there, able to clear out, support and slow down ball quite well. He plays in a manner well ahead of his 21 years.

Given Conan is still only 27, it's going to be very tricky to keep people happy in the coming seasons. Unfortnately, I can see someone having to relocate eventually if they want to get first team rugby regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I don't think it's beyond possibility that Deegan or Doris or even Conan could play a bit at 6. Ruddock still isn't going anywhere (only 29 which is mental, he's been around forever) but the depth there isn't nearly what it is at 7 and 8.

I thought Doris was hugely impressive at the weekend. Keeps playing like that he'll be very hard to leave out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Conan had some superb performances at 6 as well, the Montpellier game in 2017 when he scored three tries stands out in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Conan had some superb performances at 6 as well, the Montpellier game in 2017 when he scored three tries stands out in my mind.

And offloaded one to Adam Byrne so late that he ended up falling over the line anyway. Would have got 4 if he wasn't such a top lad.

• Advertisement

Then there's Murphy at 6, who has been impressive also. Big lad and fantastic defensively. Also plays 2nd row, but I don't rate him as good as Baird/Dunne or Dowling. Going to see someone leaving in a year or so.

The situation in the backrow is actually incredible when you think about it. Over the last few seasons Leinster have lost Murphy, SOB and Heaslip (latter two being two of the best Irish forwards of the professional era) and this season have injuries to Conan and Leavy, and still were able to field such a good trio at the weekend with huge potential in Penny, Deegan and Connors in reserve. It really is a conveyor belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well it's the Irish genetic make-up that contributes to this; we are not strikingly tall, fast nor powerful. But by god we'll churn out lads around 6"2 with good engines who love a scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Well it's the Irish genetic make-up that contributes to this; we are not strikingly tall, fast nor powerful. But by god we'll churn out lads around 6"2 with good engines who love a scrap.

It's why I dont understand why we arent churning out hookers to beat the band. Medium height pudgers with a bit of strength is as Irish as emigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

It's why I dont understand why we arent churning out hookers to beat the band. Medium height pudgers with a bit of strength is as Irish as emigration.

'Twas a popular thing in Galway, back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm pretty sure that in every game I've ever seen Doris play, he's been first to a breakdown, spotted that there was no pillar defender, picked up the ball and ran straight into open field. He does it so often and makes so many metres. He's ridiculously sharp at sporting these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I blame GAA for catholics, or hockey for protestants.

If our sporting cultures were built around accurately throwing a ball (e.g., baseball, american football), we could indeed harvest this plethora of doughballs into a useful crop.

Alas, we grow up hitting balls with sticks, our feet or our palms, so when it comes to mastering the lineout, we are miles behind.

Rumour that Kelleher has a broken hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭scott1974

Rumour that Kelleher has a broken hand.

Cronin might bench for Saturday, talk of James Ryan not playing and Johnny out for 6-8 weeks..

• Advertisement

I think Tracey has been playing well and I think Kelleher had a mixed game on Saturday so no harm if he has broken his hand.

Cronin might be a bit raw to start immediately in Europe but hopefully fit enough to be an option off the bench.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement