Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Jeesh. Yates having a liveline moment hanging the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

That Yeats is rated as a presenter says a lot about the competition.

He is OK. But there are massive deep holes in his field of knowledge.
    He reflects what is said about a lot of academics, that they know a lot about very little.

The dirty old man stuff I can't stand. I believe he is encouraged in this by his producers.
    What makes him stand out is his non membership of PC rabble.
    For that reason alone I wish luck as a broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,554 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Explain please? The only comfort I have with all the pc bull**** is knowing that it will all come back to bite those who have attached themselves to this particular bandwagon - what goes around, comes around.

What I meant was Boards has lately become a sounding board for quite a few people for whom political correctness seems to be quite an offensive idea.

I'm not going to comment on it after this post because I've been dragged into several discussions with people who have no interest in listening to fairness or reason. (I'm definitely not saying that applies to you Del.monte, but these guys seem to be attracted to posts like this).

For an example of what I mean, have a look at how many people have descended on the George Hook thread screaming PC gone mad, having never been seen in the thread for the year or so it's been going.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Understood but not having a pc bone in my body or thought in my head.

Reminds of a wedding I was at some years ago and the wife and I were seated at the reception with a Pakistani couple from London and we got talking about our kids - without thinking I proudly described my eldest (2) as the 'Great White Hope'. My wife wanted the floor to open and swallow her but I kept on digging...so you see where I'm coming from....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Reminds of a wedding I was at some years ago and the wife and I were seated at the reception with a Pakistani couple from London and we got talking about our kids - without thinking I proudly described my eldest (2) as the 'Great White Hope'. My wife wanted the floor to open and swallow her but I kept on digging...so you see where I'm coming from....:D
    ^^^ Oh Dear God :D

That reminds me of my first managerial position, I was only in my twenties and there was lady on my team who was in her early sixties. She used to talk to us like we were her young grandchildren, saying things like...'well aren't you a cheeky monkey?'. We never took any notice until one day someone pulled her up on it and pointed out that it may not be very appropriate after she said it to 'Albert' from Nigeria.

To say the woman was mortified was an understatement, she wasn't even as embarrassed on the day she walked through the office with part of her dress tucked into her knickers - true story :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Who ever uses the phrase 'Great White Hope' poor wedding table that you were sitting at. I just think that's a stupid turn of phrase. Nothing do with PC. I would have turned to you and asked "Is he Irish?" if you'd said yes I'd have said "Well we can always dream".
    That reminds me of my first managerial position, I was only in my twenties and there was lady on my team who was in her early sixties. She used to talk to us like we were her young grandchildren, saying things like...'well aren't you a cheeky monkey?'. We never took any notice until one day someone pulled her up on it and pointed out that it may not be very appropriate after she said it to 'Albert' from Nigeria.

Not the same Albert probably knew that she didn't mean it in a derogatory way and neither did anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Elmo wrote: »

Not the same Albert probably knew that she didn't mean it in a derogatory way and neither did anyone else.
    Exactly, none of us were offended, even Albert was laughing but when one person pulled her up on it she was very embarrassed and never said it again.

Edit: I'm on my iPad, I must have accidentally hit that emotion, I didn't mean to put it there and I can't seem to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I know he was putting a contrary view today, but he cam up with, 'the decision to have a child can be seen as a personal lifestyle choice'. Putting forward the concept that naturally followed, that all the subsequent costs, should be borne by the individual, not society.
    How far to the right are we gone, to even consider such a statement. In the same thinking as Maggie when she said, 'there is no community, only individuals.'

Turned off my radio at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,328 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Water John wrote: »
    I know he was putting a contrary view today, but he cam up with, 'the decision to have a child can be seen as a personal lifestyle choice'. Putting forward the concept that naturally followed, that all the subsequent costs, should be borne by the individual, not society.
    How far to the right are we gone, to even consider such a statement. In the same thinking as Maggie when she said, 'there is no community, only individuals.'

Turned off my radio at that point.

"They are casting their problems at society. And, you know, there's no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then, also, to look after our neighbours."

Who ever uses the phrase 'Great White Hope' poor wedding table that you were sitting at. I just think that's a stupid turn of phrase. Nothing do with PC. I would have turned to you and asked "Is he Irish?" if you'd said yes I'd have said "Well we can always dream".

Do you have to work at being thick or does it come naturally?

• Advertisement

Do you have to work at being thick or does it come naturally?

Thankfully pretty naturally.

What's the deal here?

The discussion about Hook has turned in a second into a gender equality in NT presenters discussion.

Are these not two entirely seperate topics??

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What's the deal here?

The discussion about Hook has turned in a second into a gender equality in NT presenters discussion.

Fintan O'Toole's piece saying he was going to boycott also accused Newstalk of being 'systematically sexist'.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Fintan O'Toole's piece saying he was going to boycott also accused Newstalk of being 'systematically sexist'.

Oh, I see.

And so, who gives a f*ck what Fintan O'Toole says?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

Oh, I see.

Fintan O'Tool does.

Oh, I see.

The people in Newstalk, because he tarred them all with the sexist brush and led on to the wider public that women were second class citizens in there. People are agreeing with it, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ol' Donie wrote:

By that logic, who cares what anyone says.

Can you name someone that EVERYONE agrees talks sense?

I doubt it.

George expressed an opinion.
    Fintan expressed an opinion about George expressing an opinion. And now people are expressing opinions about Fintan expressing an opinion about George expressing opinions.

People always had opinions but now everybody demands that theirs is heard.

And when someone is in the public eye and doesn't express a personal opinion we castigate them for being too bland.

It's no wonder aliens have left us alone.

(This isn't aimed at you Ol'Donie)

By that logic, who cares what anyone says.

Can you name someone that EVERYONE agrees talks sense?

I doubt it.

Fintan expressed an opinion about George expressing an opinion. And now people are expressing opinions about Fintan expressing an opinion about George expressing opinions.

And when someone is in the public eye and doesn't express a personal opinion we castigate them for being too bland.

It's no wonder aliens have left us alone.

(This isn't aimed at you Ol'Donie)

Yeah, fair point.

The aliens are watching thinking these lads are headbangers.

To be honest, I'm tired out by this whole affair by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭neris

you know what opinions are like .......................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

What's the deal here?

That was Yates's doing. He pivoted from the Hook issue to the claim someone made that NT was a sexist place to work. Probably because he didn't want to talk about Hook at all.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    That was Yates's doing. He pivoted from the Hook issue to the claim someone made that NT was a sexist place to work. Probably because he didn't want to talk about Hook at all.

It wasn't. Someone accused the station he worked for of being a sexist organisation off the back of what happened with George Hook.

If Ivan was to discuss in length George's comments then he'd be part of any disciplinary process that's currently ongoing.

Christ, people need to understand why Ivan was talking about this issue.

It wasn't. Someone accused the station he worked for of being a sexist organisation off the back of what happened with George Hook.

If Ivan was to discuss in length George's comments then he'd be part of any disciplinary process that's currently ongoing.

It's not just that many are annoyed at how Newstalk have very few female presenters during peak hours (7am - 7pm). The move of Yeats had already caused some stirrings.

Personally I don't see how Yeats or Hook could be considered audience getting hosts, it took years before Hook got any kind of audience he kind of just hung on, it would be like if 4FM insisted that their orginal set of presenters should remain on the station, where did Damien Kiberd and Tom McGurk go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Personally I don't see how Yeats or Hook could be considered audience getting hosts, it took years before Hook got any kind of audience he kind of just hung on, it would be like if 4FM insisted that their orginal set of presenters should remain on the station, where did Damien Kiberd and Tom McGurk go?

Ivan Yates put over 100,000 on Newstalk's Breakfast Show's figures from when he started to when he left. Hook was the stations biggest draw for well over a decade until Yates and Pat Kenny joined.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

So, why was Ciara Kelly able to talk about Hook on Marian Finucane today?

brooke 2 wrote: »
    So, why was Ciara Kelly able to talk about Hook on Marian Finucane today?

She was responding to people suggesting the man should be dead. She didn't address anything about what should be the outcome of the investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

I sometimes wonder when I hear contributors on the radio talking about subjects I know a bit about. Say like IT or cars. The questions asked by the host and answers given by the subject contributor make me cringe....or worse.

The wonder is about about subjects I wouldn't be as versed in. How much bluffing goes on that we just don't know about if we're not familar with the subject.

A case in point from Thursday September 21st on The Hard Shoulder.

Motoring Journalist Geraldine Herbert was on with Ivan. Both as clueless as each other.

A sample of the piece:
    • "Unless they have to put it up on a machine ya know, you don't have to pay for a re-test." - Wrong. You pay if they have to bring it into a lane.
    • Gave the wrong address for the NCT website.
    • "More fail on tyres now because we are scrimping on buying part worn tyres" How does that matter. If the tyre is worn, it's worn. It doesn't matter if you bought it last week or last year. It's just that NCTS have tightened up on what will now pass.
    • Ivan just as bad - he knows nothing about the NCT. "Will they fail if your headlight or one off the back is broken.....or your carburetor - will they fail?"
    • "Car failed because of dog hairs" - Never mentioned that a bulb was also blown.
    • Does re-test have to be done within a certain amount of time? Reply - "No but........maybe I'm not sure." She then mentioned something about being able to book your test early before it's due.
    • My car failed for having tinted windows and rusty break pipes - is that on the list? Reply - "I don't think so.........I'd imagine it was the rust that failed it"
    • My car failed on emissions - 05 Audi. Is the test the same for a 4 year old car? Reply - "The test doesn't vary by the car, the make or the year."

There was a few more things.

That is basic NCT stuff. A motoring journalist brought on to discuss/answer questions about the NCT just bluffed her way through it. She was corrected on most of these by listener comments during the piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

More Music wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder when I hear contributors on the radio talking about subjects I know a bit about. Say like IT or cars. The questions asked by the host and answers given by the subject contributor make me cringe....or worse.

The wonder is about about subjects I wouldn't be as versed in. How much bluffing goes on that we just don't know about if were not familar with the subject.

Motoring Journalist Geraldine Herbert was on with Ivan. Both as clueless as each other.

A sample of the piece:
    • "Unless they have to put it up on a machine ya know, you don't have to pay for a re-test." - Wrong. You pay if they have to bring it into a lane.
    • "More fail on tyres now because we are scrimping on buying part worn tyres" How does that matter. If the tyre is worn, it's worn. It doesn't matter if you bought it last week or last year. It's just that NCTS have tightened up on what will now pass.
    • Ivan just as bad - he knows nothing about the NCT. "Will they fail if your headlight or one off the back is broken.....or your carburetor - will they fail?"
    • "Car failed because of dog hairs" - Never mentioned that a bulb was also blown.
    • Does re-test have to be done within a certain amount of time? Reply - "No but........maybe I'm not sure." She then mentioned something about being able to book your test early before it's due.
    • My car failed for having tinted windows and rusty break pipes - is that on the list? Reply - "I don't think so.........I'd imagine it was the rust that failed it"
    • My car failed on emissions - 05 Audi. Is the test the same for a 4 year old car? Reply - "The test doesn't vary by the car, the make or the year."

That is basic NCT stuff. A motoring journalist brought on to discuss/answer questions about the NCT just bluffed her way through it. She was corrected on most of these by listener comments during the piece.

She sounded very pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

More Music wrote: »

The wonder is about about subjects I wouldn't be as versed in. How much bluffing goes on that we just don't know about if we're not familar with the subject.

A sample of the piece:

Voom Voom, Car go beep beep! is about the height of the level of conversations you get these days

• Advertisement

Get ready for an awkward moment, as Ivan is about to interview political correspondent Chris Donoghue on Ivan's show, from which, as we all know, Chris was suddenly dropped.

It was only a few weeks ago Chris Donoghue was jeering about 'giving Ivan a bit of work' as a guest contributor. Karma is a bitch and she has her boots on.

Advertisement