Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Matt hasslebeck had his car stolen in Nashville...

Colts Suck!

I'm guessing when he gets the car back, he probably complained that the tyres were under-inflated, hence the reason it was stolen...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Guffy

I'm guessing when he gets the car back, he probably complained that the tyres were under-inflated, hence the reason it was stolen...:pac:

?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

wow patrick willis reportedly going to announce his retirement shocking if true he's only 30 and still a beast

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So...

Fired a head coach with one of the best ever records in NFL history through 3 years
    Fired most of his staff including probably the best DC in the league.
    Made a complete mess of hiring replacements, brought in the cheapest available guys
    Became a laughing stock of the league
    Losing Gore, best RB in franchise history for reasons unclear at the moment
    Also losing Justin Smith to retirement, presume we will also ditch Crabtree, Stevie Johnson and Mike Iupati
    Attempting to trade away the franchise QB (apparently).
    Now Star player set to retire at 30.

Seriously WTF is going on in Santa Clara?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Yeah crazy isnt it. 8 years and 7 pro bowls, 5 of which were all pro. Seriously good player. Bowman and Borland now for next year. Think Borland could have really learned a lot from Willis. Hopefully he changes his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Maybe hes made his money and is worried about his health in the future?

maybe the whole organization is a dumpster fire and he wants no part of it?

adrian522 wrote: »
    maybe the whole organization is a dumpster fire and he wants no part of it?

He would easily find another team if that was the case

He would easily find another team if that was the case

You can't just sign with another team though.still under contract to SF.

• Advertisement

You can't just sign with another team though.still under contract to SF.

I know you cant but he could look to be traded make it clear he wants out etc. Afaik he cant retire and just come out for a different team so no matter what hed hace to be traded if he wanted out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

So...

Fired a head coach with one of the best ever records in NFL history through 3 years
    Fired most of his staff including probably the best DC in the league.
    Made a complete mess of hiring replacements, brought in the cheapest available guys
    Became a laughing stock of the league
    Losing Gore, best RB in franchise history for reasons unclear at the moment
    Also losing Justin Smith to retirement, presume we will also ditch Crabtree, Stevie Johnson and Mike Iupati
    Attempting to trade away the franchise QB (apparently).
    Now Star player set to retire at 30.

Seriously WTF is going on in Santa Clara?

Misery, thy name is Jed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Apparently he's retiring after experiencing a religious awakening, according to some rumours anyway.

Yeah, that appears to be the situation. Strange one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

what is it with americans sports people and their passion for religion

Thank god for ABCDEF... etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

considering all the rumours that are flying around we are gonna end up having montana back as QB the way things are going

And then they'll try to trade him away.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ray Lewis' religious awakening brought him another Super Bowl. Willis needs to talk to God again.

And come play for the Giants. Pro Bono.

Jesus says its right.

Anyone think Willis has a legitimate shot at the Hall of Fame?

I don't to be honest though I think if he had played another 3 or 4 years at the same level he'd have had a great shot at getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Anyone think Willis has a legitimate shot at the Hall of Fame?

I don't to be honest though I think if he had played another 3 or 4 years at the same level he'd have had a great shot at getting in.

He might not get in because he didn't play for long enough but I'd have him in there. He's been the best in the league at his position (and hence one of the best players in the league) for a solid 5 years and given it's such an important position I think that's enough.

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    He might not get in because he didn't play for long enough but I'd have him in there. He's been the best in the league at his position (and hence one of the best players in the league) for a solid 5 years and given it's such an important position I think that's enough.

I agree also he was a (the?) leader on a successful side I would vote him in no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

I read Wills had 5 straight first team all-pros.

That is absolutely outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

nerd69 wrote: »
    I agree also he was a (the?) leader on a successful side I would vote him in no doubt

Yeah that's another good factor for him, when the team got good there seemed to be a lot of positive personalities on the team but he seems to have been the leader. Tbh I think if his career was ended by a neck injury of something he'd be sure to get in eventually, the fact he chose to end his career this early rather than having it forced on him could hurt him. Odds are though we haven't seen the last of him on the pitch, he could even take a couple of years off and still be in good enough shape to come back. We've seen Fletcher and Lewis last forever in the position too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I just wanted to post this here, some people raising awareness for a very important cause, and a beautiful but endangered species: the every down running back...

Save the Running Back | Steven Jackson: http://youtu.be/kIMn2IAlqC4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2390427-2015-nfl-free-agents-investigation-latest-details-and-reaction

The NFL are unhappy with contracts apparently being agreed during the "legal tampering" period. Give them an inch.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Disappointed to see Willis retire as he's so good to watch, but I would never hold it against any player to be honest. Over $42m in career earnings and he gets out without any serious injury (perhaps before his toe starts giving him irreversible pain).

In this sport, that's job done.

jesus 9ers having about as bad a day as you can have full back bruce miller has been arrested for domestic abuse. if this is true he's a ****ing idiot of all the things people are currently aware about in the nfl (the key being if its true its almost hard to believe someone would be this stupid given recent issues)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Apparently he's retiring after experiencing a religious awakening, according to some rumours anyway.

That happened the 49ers before

Glen Coffee was a 3rd round pick and backed up Frank Gore at running back.

Coming into training camp his second year he retired from football to become a pastor.

about 5 years ago or so

nerd69 wrote: »
    jesus 9ers having about as bad a day as you can have full back bruce miller has been arrested for domestic abuse. if this is true he's a ****ing idiot of all the things people are currently aware about in the nfl (the key being if its true its almost hard to believe someone would be this stupid given recent issues)

We're now also being linked with Greg hardy. if there was a league for running a club into the ground, we'd be having an all pro off season.

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    That happened the 49ers before

Glen Coffee was a 3rd round pick and backed up Frank Gore at running back.

Coming into training camp his second year he retired from football to become a pastor.

about 5 years ago or so

coffee was a serious running back if i remember correctly looked like he was going to be one of the best in the nfl

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement