Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Street Fighter 25 Tournament Series Paris - Irish Qualifier- 6th Oct- The Exchange

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Azza wrote: »
    Can you enter this tournament without seeding?

Like does passing up on seeding meaning missing out on one of the tournaments?

no, afaik, but I would say you'd have to register to get in. We have the 4 seeded places put aside for us but I'm pretty sure there is no restrictions on who can enter and go - you just wont be seeded.

If you can, the more the merrier cause you ain't gonna win jack **** on the 6th of Oct - way too scrubby, even Doom is beating you.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

If thats the case, in the unlikely event of someone placing top 2 in both, he should not need to give up his seeding place in one of the tournaments. Just the next person down gets the trip to Paris and enters the competition unseeded. However the trick would be deciding from which game do we choose the next player down from.

If thats the case, in the unlikely event of someone placing top 2 in both, he should not need to give up his seeding place in one of the tournaments. Just the next person down gets the trip to Paris and enters the competition unseeded. However the trick would be deciding from which game do we choose the next player down from.

I think the best option and the one that will result in the least arguments are as I have laid out. I'm open to convincing that I am wrong but there is no confusion nor is there a 'decision' to be made by anyone with the structure I have proposed.

I think your missing the point.

If a player places top 2 in both tournaments. Which game is the relevant game? Do you choose the player that came third in SFxT or who came third in AE to take the 4th traveller spot?

And if you can enter the tournament unseeded, why would a player who placed in the top 2 of each game need to give up his seed, when the 4th traveller could simply enter unseeded?

I think your missing the point.

If a player places top 2 in both tournaments. Which game is the relevant game? Do you choose the player that came third in SFxT or who came third in AE?

And if you can enter the tournament unseeded, why would a player who placed in the top 2 of each game need to give up his seed, when the 4th traveller could simply enter unseeded?

ok, so who makes the decision on who gets to be sent? Do I arbitrarily choose which 3rd place to send? I am trying to avoid a situation whereby someone is hand picked by anyone. The way I have suggested lets the player pick which they want and then as a result of that, the 3rd place in the other game gets to go. I am not saying its perfect but I will not be repeating mistakes previously made and causing any arguments. There was a suggestion made to me that we send the 3rd place from the biggest tourney of the two. So who ever is 3rd in the more popular game on the day. Also, if we send a non seeded player, there is no guarentee that there will be space left for them to register on the 6th of OCT. There could be, I just don't know. This uncertainty does not sit well with me which is why I suggested what I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd prefer just sending the best two players of each game. If one person happens to place top two in both tournies, then we'll only send three.

Makes much more financial sense too.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I agree with Azza, if someone wins a spot in two tournaments then they have won the right to have a seeded place in both. If that means sending someone for either SFxT or AE without a seeded spot as a result then I'm OK with that.

Something else I was wondering; will there be separate tournaments for each place i.e. two tournaments for each game? Or will it be top 2 from two single tournaments gets a seeded spot at the 25th tourney?

Edit: Just read Ajay's post, the issues regarding who goes as an unseeded player could be messy alright....

If a player places top 2 in both tournaments. Which game is the relevant game? Do you choose the player that came third in SFxT or who came third in AE to take the 4th traveller spot?

They chose which one they want the seeded place in - then subsequently, 3rd place in the other game.
    I'd prefer just sending the best two players of each game. If one person happens to place top two in both tournies, then we'll only send three.

Makes much more financial sense too.

Whilst I do like this idea (and use the rest of the money to buy more equipment), since we have been given 4 spots by Capcom et al, I kinda wanted to send 4 players. This was my thinking. We are a community and could end up conceivably sending only 2 players for 4 seeded spots with other systems.
    blag wrote: »
    I agree with Azza, if someone wins a spot in two tournaments then they have won the right to have a seeded place in both. If that means sending someone for either SFxT or AE without a seeded spot as a result then I'm OK with that.

Something else I was wondering; will there be separate tournaments for each place i.e. two tournaments for each game? Or will it be top 2 from two single tournaments gets a seeded spot at the 25th tourney?

Edit: Just read Ajay's post, the issues regarding who goes as an unseeded player could be messy alright....

It'll be top 2 from single tournaments. We are running enough without doubling up.

BTW - I havent set anything in stone, I am just trying to get it right and fair as apposed to anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I agree that if someone places that highly in both they should get to be seeded in both games for the tournaments, but then again one of the games is SFxT so who cares. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I agree that if someone places that highly in both they should get to be seeded in both games for the tournaments, but then again one of the games is SFxT so who cares. :pac:

Some people do >_>

• Advertisement

ayjayirl wrote:
    They chose which one they want the seeded place in - then subsequently, 3rd place in the other game.

They shouldn't have to choose if they are going, they should get both seeded spots.
    ayjayirl wrote:
    Whilst I do like this idea (and use the rest of the money to buy more equipment), since we have been given 4 spots by Capcom et al, I kinda wanted to send 4 players. This was my thinking. We are a community and could end up conceivably sending only 2 players for 4 seeded spots with other systems.

The 4 spots would still be taken regardless and on merit. Its unlikely to occur though and having 2 players winning both spots is extremely unlikely. Most of the communties best AE players don't play SFxT or vice versa.
    ayjayirl wrote:
    There was a suggestion made to me that we send the 3rd place from the biggest tourney of the two. So who ever is 3rd in the more popular game on the day.

Seems like a good idea.
    ayjayirl wrote:
    Also, if we send a non seeded player, there is no guarentee that there will be space left for them to register on the 6th of OCT. There could be, I just don't know. This uncertainty does not sit well with me which is why I suggested what I did.

Can we get clarification on that point. If unseeded players can just sign up on the day I'd do with sending 3rd place from the game with the larger turnout. If unseeded players can't enter then I'd just send 3 or 2 if it came to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Dreddybajs wrote: »

You could save time on the day and just send one of those souvenier plush leprechauns as the Irish SFxT representative. It's probably more respect than it deserves.

He could fit in hand luggage as well.

They shouldn't have to choose if they are going, they should get both seeded spots.
    They don't choose if they are going. They are going. They choose the game they want the seed position in.
    The 4 spots would still be taken regardless and on merit. Its unlikely to occur though and having 2 players winning both spots is extremely unlikely. Most of the communties best AE players don't play SFxT or vice versa.
    2 People who play both games well:
    Ladno
    Cog

How unlikely is it really?
    Seems like a good idea.

Its an alright idea at best :p
    Can we get clarification on that point. If unseeded players can just sign up on the day I'd do with sending 3rd place from the game with the larger turnout. If unseeded players can't enter then I'd just send 3 or 2 if it came to that.
    Yes, I have contacted Kurama Tengu today to get some clarification on this.

I have also booked the exchange as a back up venue for this should the other fall through so we should be ok.

I was doing a bit of reading around online and it seems that the Paris tournament is for regional qualifiers only so sending unseeded players may not be an option at all.

In the link Chopper posted in the OP it states "Ahead of the European Masters Series (EMS), a series of local qualifying tournaments will be held across 16 European countries where players will fight for the right to represent their country.".

Had a look on the NeoEmpire forums too and this thread pretty much clears it up.

ayjayirl wrote:
    They don't choose if they are going. They are going. They choose the game they want the seed position in.

Sorry I should have been more clear. What I mean't is if a player places top 2 in both tournaments and intends to go, he shouldn't have to choose to give up one of his seeding places. He should get both.

That goes double its the case that passing on a seed means he can't enter one of the tournaments at all.
    ayjayirl wrote:
    2 People who play both games well:
    Ladno
    Cog

How unlikely is it really?

Cog is just a washed up has been, drinking himself senile while reminiscing about the good old days of TKCS ...and Ladno is just flavour of the month, a flash in the pan waiting to be exposed as the fraud that he is.

ok lads, messing aside for a second. We have confirmed we have seeded positions for 3s & HDR classic as well as SF and SFxT. This means that we have a possibility of sending 6 people and I can confirm that the tournament is closed, so you cannot register on the day or anything like that.

Given this information, we are in a position now whereby we have the cost of sending 6 players. Everyone please come.....:o

on the previous points, I'll sit down tonight and put together the rules for the day - which will take care of all the points raised above etc but I think 6 seeded spots for us here in Ireland is a win :)

Well done on getting a place for 3S and HDR. I will enter the lot for the hell of it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Well done on getting a place for 3S and HDR. I will enter the lot for the hell of it.

This goes for me too, well done AJ.

HDR classic, awesome :D , looking foward to this more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Now that we have ST and 3S spots, it makes far more sense to not send anyone who finishes outside of the top two in AE and SFxT regardless of crossover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

God damnit capcom. Marvel needs love too.. It has Ryu

Doyler you have 3 games to choose from that have Dudley in it, what more do you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

ayjayirl wrote: »

Given this information, we are in a position now whereby we have the cost of sending 6 players. Everyone please come.....:o

+1

ayjayirl wrote:
    Given this information, we are in a position now whereby we have the cost of sending 6 players. Everyone please come.....

Everyone should pull out of this at the last minute. Would be hilarious ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Sorry guys but I'll more than likely have to sit this one out, I simply cannot afford to go to Dublin at that time as I need as much money as possible for Oz for the following month.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

I have to make sure I'm free from work on the 6th (and possibly 7th depending on how late you're planning on running this). But if I can go I'll bring as much as I can, which is likely since I really don't wanna miss it.

Sorry guys but I'll more than likely have to sit this one out, I simply cannot afford to go to Dublin at that time as I need as much money as possible for Oz for the following month.

no excuse Misty! Your last tourney before you go, you have to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I've reconsidered my date of departure anyway, guys. I'm cutting it WAY too thin as it is in regards to money. It will be next year I'll go to Oz now.

So, that means you can probably count me in now.

To keep things in one place, may I ask one of the mods of the FG forum here to merge this thread with the other thread. Its kind of confusing to have two different threads discussing details of an important event like this.

I'll report it to the MOD. Putting it in the thread won't work. You gots to report it directly to them or they get upset...... and cry. :)

• Advertisement

Right guys,

General info and rules
    Since how we have a possible 6 to send, I think I'll abandon my efforts discussed yesterday regarding the seed positions and just let whomever gets 1st and 2nd in each to take them - even if they are the same person for both! This does not mean Azza was right, that can never happen. The rules for the tournaments are standard at this point. Since we have SF, SFxT, 3S, and HDR Classic as seeded options, these tournaments will be double elimination. I'll also include Marvel for double elim because I am just that nice but all other games/tournaments will be single elimination. This is to cater for us being able to get through everything on the day. So KOF, skullgirls, MK9, Tekken 6 will be single elimination. I do apologise to the respective scenes for this but I just cannot see being able to run any more than 5 double elimination brackets with an additional 4 single elimination brackets on the day. If I can get the venue confirmed and for a longer period, I will make MK9 double elim. I will do my best but first priority for this event is the Capcom games.

IF PEOPLE BRING LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF SETUPS, IT IS CONCEIVABLE WE COULD RUN EVERYTHING DOUBLE ELIM……

Normal Rules
    1. All characters are selectable.

2. Custom controllers and button configuration is allowed.

3. Turbo is banned. Anyone who is caught using this feature will be disqualified.

4. Players can change characters in each round of the double elimination phase. However once a match has started they may only change characters in a match after losing a set. The winner of the first set must stick to the character(s) they started the set with and may only change if they lose the second set, in which case the winner of the second set must then stick to the character(s) used in the second set.

4. Double Blind select available in the event of people being concerned about counter picking. An admin will assist with this if required.

5. Rock, paper, scissors is used in the event of people being unable to agree on which side they want to sit on.

6. In the event of a player pausing a game during a round or his stick/pad fails during a round, he forfeits the round unless both players agree to carry on. If there is a dispute an admin will resolve the dispute.

7. Players who are overly disruptive during a competition or who are distracting other players can be removed from the tournament at the discretion of the tournament admins.

8. All alt costumes are soft banned. A player can request that both characters have to use the default costume.

9. No white track suits please. This is especially important.

Venue
    I have been trying to get Astra Hall in Ucd for this lads. I have been in touch with the games soc over there through Albel Nox (thank you!) and I have tried to get a definitive answer from them on it. Basically the sox have said no probs, but because they are not back into term yet, they cannot officially book it. I am hoping to have this locked down this week but if not, I have the exchange booked for the 6th - well, I rang them and they told me to send them an email, which I did. I'll follow up later this week to make sure. This would mean we are unlikely to be able to stream the event unless we get UCD. I'll keep ya'll posted as soon as I know more.

Prizes
    I am still waiting to get a response form the potential sponsors regarding any help we can get for prizes. I did mention previous about the prizes money structure for event that don't have a prizes of flights & accomm. This will follow a sliding % scale depending on how many people enter. We now have a possibility of sending 6 people but I also do not want to set the price too high so as to prevent people from coming either so I will cover the cost of sending them and divvy the rest up. I would say we would need more than 20 players for a tournament before prize money is allocated for non fundraising efforts, but I will have a more exact structure slower to the date as well as entry prices etc.

Think thats it for now!
    Aj

Advertisement