Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SoulCalibur V discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Man most of the cast will be 40+ and considering the game "prides" itself on young girls with big racks it seems like a bold move on Capcoms part.

Im just gonna put this here, best Soul game to date. Looks like Scorpion of Mortal Kombat fame got a leading role as the Soul Blade villian

Oh btw, its all about Maxi + Taki

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Gotta get the Edge of Soul to carry on deep in my heeaaaaaaaart~

Ah, quality stuff.
    The grass on Rock's stage in Soul Blade is still godlike.

(And clearly it's all about Voldo and Astaroth)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

seems like a bold move on Capcoms part.

Capcom have never had anything to do with with the soul series (notice the new graphical resources in each instalment).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Cervantes & Raphael. But I haven't played it since III. And I didn't like that as much as I liked II. And that wasn't as awesome as the first one, which only ever left the Dreamcast to let MvC2 have a go. And Soul Blade I got only a few years after Soul Calibur so it was a step down but seemed very good.

The series as a whole as got a bit crazy. I've just deleted a big long paragraph full of big impressive words elaborating on that because I decided to spare ye, but basically it's lost the run of itself and my interest slowly evaporated.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Soul Calibur is now compleatly ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Soul Calibur is now compleatly ****.

Four stars, I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Man most of the cast will be 40+ and considering the game "prides" itself on young girls with big racks it seems like a bold move on Capcoms part.
    • The last 4 female additions to the cast (Hilde, Tira, Amy, Talim) have been small-busted, so your point is invalid.

Seung Mina & Xianghua aren't big-tittied, either. That's 6-of-11.
      And no way can you call Ivy, Setsuka, Sophitia nor Taki "young girls" -- they are mature women (IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE! :pac:).

So that just leaves Cassandra as the sole "young girl with a big rack" :D
    • Soulcalibur is made by Namco, not Capcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

So.....who're the gamebreaking guest-stars this time around?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    So.....who're the gamebreaking guest-stars this time around?

I vote for Megaman, people seem sad he wasn't in Brawl and MvC3.

Or hell, we could put in CATS from Zero Wing.

No character suggestion could ever be out of place considering we've previously had: Link, Heihachi, Spawn, Darth Vader, Yoda and Starkiller.

No character suggestion could ever be out of place considering we've previously had: Link, Heihachi, Spawn, Darth Vader, Yoda and Starkiller.

Don't forget Kratos in Broken Destiny, plus the guest character designs from Todd McFarlane (Necrid) and those manga artists in SFIV.

SC's had quite the varied character history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

If they put guile in it Doom will be chuffed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    • The last 4 female additions to the cast (Hilde, Tira, Amy, Talim) have been small-busted, so your point is invalid.

Seung Mina & Xianghua aren't big-tittied, either. That's 6-of-11.
      And no way can you call Ivy, Setsuka, Sophitia nor Taki "young girls" -- they are mature women (IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE! :pac:).

So that just leaves Cassandra as the sole "young girl with a big rack" :D
    • Soulcalibur is made by Namco, not Capcom.

Namco! Thats it! I was kinda lazy to google it at the time of posting. Nobody pays no attention to the small busted girls, when i think of SC i think Swords N' Boobs. I really hope they dont have any guest characters at all as they all felt kinda out of place, some more so than others :rolleyes: But at this stage I think Yoshimitsu fits in just fine.

I made my own Dan in SCIII. He used the foot blades because that gave him a flying straight kick very similar to move in Street Fighter. He had sleeves, though. What sort of custom fighter builder doesn't give you a sleeveless gi??

The soulcalibur.com site has still been chugging away the last week and has had sufficient Likes to unveil the Seigfried art fully:

sieg.png

A second piece has started being sketched now and is looking very Sophetia-esque, though the skirts are far more towards Cassandra's tastes. Daishi has recently confirmed via Twitter that Phyrra (Sophie's other kid) is going to be a playable character, so this could well be her.

Phyrra.png

He mentioned a bunch of other stuff on Twitter too, but nothing major. Firstly, the game is around 10% complete. The now common spiel about trying to make the game simpler made an appearance along with him shooting down any hopes that Soul Edge's weapon clash mechanic would return. He said that he was pushing for it to be called Soul Edge 2, but was convinced otherwise.
    He also mentioned that he thought SC5 went a bit far with the fan service , particularly with regards to destructable clothing and plans to at least have an option to disable that.
    Finally, he also said that the guest characters for this game had been finalised already, but they wouldn't be announced for a long time.

Someone got the full Phyrra art from somewhere:
    pyrrha_7656789.jpg

Plenty of signs she'll be ditzy and useless, great.:pac:

A slightly ditzy/clumsy Cassandra with a RUFFLED SKIRT?

This is delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

Gameplay pic
    302265701.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1305993558&Signature=ywL4WfxRkz3rAoIvv67RUdItuOg%3D

Also, gameplay vid(rubbish quality):

EDIT: and some info
    Here are things as I understand em (I could be wrong but beleive I am at least close):
    The paper the producer and Daishi bought is a good luck charm, with Soul Edge and Soul Calibur written on it.
    The Famitsu guy asked about the characters and said that people on the Net were askin about certain moves and questions.
    The producer said he can't answer those Qs cause Namco would get angry and Daishi said he can't either unless it doesn't make a difference if he gets fired or not (joke).
    Harada said he would be answering those Qs and talking but that Daishi is new and probably doesn't know what his audience wants and that he doesn't say anything.
    They suggested if anybody on the chat channel had a Q that they would have Daishi answer them.
    They said something about Ivy but wouldn't confirm if she's in the game but they did say that the movement will be faster.
    Harada asked the lady-lookin guy (Daishi) why his answers are like they are and Daishi says he is nervous (in that position; maybe he means bein next to the Tekken dude or just bein on camera).
    The Famitsu guy said that the series is moving forward 17 years and that he has heard that there will be about 25 charas. He asked how many old and how many new.
    The Producer told Daishi that it should be OK to answer that Q.
    Daishi answered that about half of the chars will be new and half will be old.
    A guy sittin in the back said he likes Voldo and they asked how he will age (I don't understand Daishi's answer).
    They said something about guest charas- they will announce them at E3.
    They are choosing the charas that will be in the game now and will be tomorrow (by lottery at work).
    The producer said they will be announcing the charas soon and that the guest charas are already decided (because they have to get licenses and make agreements ahead of time).
    Harada asked about Yoshimitsu.
    He also asked if they are going to say anything give out any souvenir for their visit (as they haven't really answered or said anything yet).
    The said they can show a vid and he said you may see some secrets. There are 200 programmers in that room but they are working on different games. About half the people in that room are working on SCV.
    The lights are out to save electricity.
    He said the Zas statue has no meaning.
    Harada asked if they have more or can zoom and a guy sittin in the back said that the chara sorta looks like Ivy.
    They asked if someone can ask one simple Q and so they asked if Nightmare will be in the game- and Daishi answered yes, he will be 'there'. They said Sig has already been announced.
    Harada said something about Namco America (that made Daishi a little nervous), maybe for the new Ace Combat did something happen w/Namco America and maybe the same thing just happened here, at this interview?
    They said they can't say anything else now.
    Harada said they still have 20 min left and that they can probably get more info outta them but they said they can't give out any more info and they left (the interview was finished).

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Worst Q&A ever

Old man Mitsi makes himself known:

341987Capture.png

Not sure how those French SC players are getting these images so quick. I tried rooting around in the flash file myself to see what location on the site the swf is reading the images from, but my action scripting and javascripting skills are very much lacking.

• Advertisement

Not strictly SC5 related, but I was having a gander through some of the old SoulCalibur/SoulEdge concept art on http://www.soularchive.jp/tmr/archives.htm and noticed that Nu-13 was a contender for inclusion in the latter.

010.jpg

Also, it appears Battle Fantasia was almost beaten to the punch regarding chainsaw wielding characters:

10.gif

To all you Hwang Seong-gyeong fans, Daishi has confirmed via Twitter that he won't be in the game.
    Also, there's an in game trailer going live on GameTrailers on the 5th.

Sairus wrote: »
    To all you Hwang Seong-gyeong fans, Daishi has confirmed via Twitter that he won't be in the game.

To hell with that, grizzled old man Hwang would've been hella boss.

Hwang Who?

Phyrra and Old Man Mitsurugi.

200.jpg

This screenshot looks to be just SoulCalibur 4 with new character models.
    Daishi has mentioned on his twitter before that they're using SC4 to test out stuff, so this probably doesn't reflect what the game will actually look like at all. Some people on 8wayrun.com have mentioned that a lot of her costume actually looks like slightly modified pieces of other SC4 characters' outfits and pieces from the character creation.

I'm not too gone on the design if that's what she's going to look like. The colours are very boring.
    I do like that she's fully clothed. Interesting direction for a SC game to take these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

So is she the new Cassandra? Where is Cassandra?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Fergus_ wrote: »
    So is she the new Cassandra? Where is Cassandra?!

Given the amount of time that has passed since SC4 I am guessing she went home and became a family woman.

Gameplay trailer, very clearly still using SC4 as a base.

Those slowdown moves are odd. I wonder do you have to charge up their use with something like an EX meter.
    It looks like Patrolkos got more of Cassandra's moveset and Phyrra is more Sophetia. I don't play either of those characters much so I could be horribly wrong, but Pat's quicker stabs and slashes give me that impression.

It's Ken. It's freaking Ken with a sword.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

What always amazes me about Soul Caliber is that, here's these great big dudes and dudettes, hitting and hacking at each other with these great big swords, yet flying, dismembered limb are notably conspicuous by their absence....

It'd really be a development for the series if they actually did something like realistic damage depictions, at the moment they're simply giving kids unrealistic expectations about the realities of martial combat.......

EG: 'Mummy, I didn't mean to hack Tony's arm off, I thought the kitchen-master 9000 would simply pass through him in a CGI blur, a la Soul Edge in the XBL demo of Soul Caliber 8!'

'That's okay Ruttiger, you weren't to know...what's the number for 999 again?'

Advertisement