Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

• 14-01-2011 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I thought this would be a fitting one to start this thread with.
    Bill Belichick Bandwagon Filling Up As Football Fans Are Begging Patriots to Shut Rex Ryan Up

Rex Ryan is doing something I didn’t think was possible: He has America rooting for the Patriots this Sunday afternoon. As we all know, it’s been a long time since the Patriots were the country’s football darlings. The team that went against John Madden’s advice and marched down the field against the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI has evolved into the NFL’s version of the New York Yankees. For the past 10 years, the Patriots have been merciless, methodical and successful. In pro sports, that’s a recipe that will get you hated by fans across the nation.

By 2008, when the Patriots hit Arizona looking for perfection, most of the country cheered for the Giants. People had had enough of Tom Brady’s good looks, Randy Moss’ touchdown celebrations and Bill Belichick’s stoicism.

Now, that stoicism is just what the football-loving nation craves. The fans of that nation, like all of us here in New England, have had more than enough of Ryan’s big mouth. They’re tired of his "it’s all about me and Bill Belichick" routine. Tired of his players cranking up the verbal hostility to the point where there are as many bleeps as there are words in an Antonio Cromartie sound bite.

There was a time when Ryan was funny, refreshing. A time when he was the perfect counterbalance to Belichick. He was Everyman (OK, Everyman-and-a-half), coaching an NFL team. Last year, he coached his underdog unit to a shocking run to the AFC Championship Game. Then came HBO’s Hard Knocks.

Then came Ines Sainz. Then came the "hot mature feet" of Michelle Ryan (or at least someone who looks an awful lot like her.)

Enough.

The Jets are no longer cute. They’re no longer lovable. They’ve become a group of crude, annoying loudmouths as they get set to take the field in Foxboro this Sunday afternoon.

Of course, that’s not how it’s being played in New York. Check out just about any NYC newspaper this week, and you’ll find at least one sports columnist writing about how Belichick needs to loosen up and be more like Ryan. About how it’s only football and the Pats need to stop acting like the game plan is a matter of national security.

There was a time when the rest of the country agreed. That opinion is changing. Go ahead and read the columns, blogs and posts around the country. Fans have had enough. It’s one thing to have a little fun, but it’s another to have your players calling the game’s best quarterback an a-hole (withouth the hyphen). In a period of our history where we are finally questioning the vitriol spewed in the public discourse, we can do without a bunch of overpaid players and coaches spewing a little more.

Meantime, the Pats continue to go about their business quietly and efficiently. It’s a pretty good model to follow, isn’t it?

Ryan has managed to do something we’ve never seen before. He’s making Belichick’s demeanor lovable. Now, it’s up to the Patriots coach to do something no one has ever done before.

Shut Ryan up.
    http://www.nesn.com/2011/01/bill-belichick-bandwagon-filling-up-as-football-fans-are-begging-patriots-to-shut-rex-ryan-up.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Liked that!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

I never thought I'd see the day but I hope the Patriots beat them. When Rex Ryan can make a Raiders fan root for the Pats, then you know he's gone too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 patriot83

Hey great article. It is true though, the Pats have really become a hated franchise generally in the NFL with most teams and fans wanted to stomp us down and only Ryan putting his foot in it could turn most fans in our favour - success breeds distaste, happened to the 49ers and Cowboys and the Steelers in the 70s as well......oh well.....here's just hoping the extra support dipping their toe in are satisfied with the result on Sunday as well, as well as the loyal foot soldiers!

(sorry - channeling Wes Welker today....) :D:D

Also nice one in starting up a NE thread - kind of new to boards myself and was thinking this was missing, but thought I should also share another Irish Patriots site - Paddy Patriots, Official Irish NE Patriots fan site: http://www.paddypatriots.com/forum/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I still hope Rex and the Jets beat the Patriots. It's more fun having the Jets around and it would be easier for Pittsburgh to beat them.

GO JETS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Its an odd feeling to have the majority of fans rooting for a patriots win, i prefer it when everybody wants us to lose actually, makes the victory that much sweeter :)

really would love to shut Ryan up this weekend, cant wait for the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Nick Mangolds response to Wes Welker.
    nickmangold Wes Welker is a great player. He's really taken advantage of watching film. If we don't keep a Spy on him, he could really open the Gate
    about 1 hour ago

Wea Welker has started something great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Haha, touché Mr. Mangold!

The build up to this game, while slightly childish, has made it one of the most anticipated playoff games ever. Sunday cannot come quick enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Should be a cracker of a game alright.

Just a shame there has to be a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The pundits seem to be all over the Patriots. As a Patriots fan I am worried. The Jets have some very quality players. This is going to be a close game.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

The Jets make my blood f*ckin boil. Arrogant dicks! Don't care how the Pats do it, but they better win!

*Also loved Wes Welkers interview*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Everyone is getting sick of Ryan's mouth and his players following his lead.

Bart Scott may have made a big mistake, saying that Wes Welker's days of pulling on the Pats uniform are numbered. With the NFL having written to both teams to remind them that if any of this verbal jousting extends to physical altercations on the field, there will be repercussions. Any leniency the officials may have wanted to show will now be out the window, so there could be a lot of penalties in this one, especially on the side of the Jets defence after Scott's comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭spillit67

eagle eye wrote: »

I'd say you're loadsa craic.

How precious are some Pats fans? Pats/Rats, comeon, it's a weak rhyming joke!

It's not as if the MA papers would ever stoop to such terrible puns....

Oh wait.

MA_MET.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

saw that, but is there anything to it? they are players, suited up. the jets one was coaching staff, who stood foot to foot. they were just standing near the sideline. to me, it didnt seem as obvious as the Jets incident, discounting the obvious trip by Alosi

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Fair play to Rex Ryan. He's done a smashing job. The Jets destroyed the Pats last night and it could have been more. Ryan tactically outdone Bellichick too. Great performance. Cant wait for the Championship games.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭spillit67

The Jets smack talk clearly got to the Pats with Welker getting involved and benched for a period of the game for doing it. Will there anymore consequences for Welker you guys reckon?

• Advertisement

spillit67 wrote: »
    The Jets smack talk clearly got to the Pats with Welker getting involved and benched for a period of the game for doing it. Will there anymore consequences for Welker you guys reckon?

Any consequences are done with (the benching). Belichick doesn't like to give the media anything. The Jets could have had a party on a dead relative's grave and he'll still want his players to tow the "They're a good team, it'll be a good game, we just have to prepare" line. He was just disappointed that Welker broke protocol, I doubt there'll be any long lasting consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Any consequences are done with (the benching). Belichick doesn't like to give the media anything. The Jets could have had a party on a dead relative's grave and he'll still want his players to tow the "They're a good team, it'll be a good game, we just have to prepare" line. He was just disappointed that Welker broke protocol, I doubt there'll be any long lasting consequences.

Is that quote for BB's media briefing today? Did anything else interesting get said in that, or in TB's radio interview?

SK1979 wrote: »
    Is that quote for BB's media briefing today? Did anything else interesting get said in that, or in TB's radio interview?

No no, that's just what he expects from his players in the run up to these games. Don't let the media have anything, and don't respond to any of the taunts. Welker broke that rule so he was benched as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    No no, that's just what he expects from his players in the run up to these games. Don't let the media have anything, and don't respond to any of the taunts. Welker broke that rule so he was benched as a result.

KK, so it was you just "paraphrasing" the great man. :)

I think there was a press conference today (or maybe a conference call) and I was just wondering whether any other news / excuses / reasons (delete as appropriate) came out of it.

Also TB definitely had a radio interview too.

Ah right.

Belichick's press conference here

Brady's Dennis & Callahan radio interview here

Reports emerging that Brady played in 2010 with a stress fracture in a foot.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81dc96c4/article/report-brady-has-stress-fracture-in-foot-that-predates-2010?module=HP_headlines

Pat Kirwan of the NFL also asks whether Brady was ill and presents his arguments for it. Brady denied he had the flu. Personally I didn't think Tom was himself, he wasn't chewing out the players like the role he adopted this season. Maybe I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Reports emerging that Brady played in 2010 with a stress fracture in a foot.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81dc96c4/article/report-brady-has-stress-fracture-in-foot-that-predates-2010?module=HP_headlines

Pat Kirwan of the NFL also asks whether Brady was ill and presents his arguments for it. Brady denied he had the flu. Personally I didn't think Tom was himself, he wasn't chewing out the players like the role he adopted this season. Maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe you are. Did you read the bottom where Brady himself said he was fine?

davyjose wrote: »
    Maybe you are. Did you read the bottom where Brady himself said he was fine?

If Brady was suffering from swine flu with two broken legs he'd lie as much as he can to get back in the game.

Well Brady may have had a problem all year but the Patriots don't do excuses. It is what it is, we lost, there is next year to worry about with a more experienced team and hopefully a few affective additions through the draft and/or trades.

• Advertisement

Its kinda odd/weird in a way that Matty Cassel will replace the injured Tom Brady in the pro-bowl.
    Tom Brady will undergo surgery on his right foot as early as Thursday, according to a report from Boston.com, as the Patriots quarterback will take care of a lingering stress fracture in his foot with a procedure at Massachusetts General Hospital.
    The injury first came to light in November, when the quarterback was listed on the injury report with a foot problem, and Brady was listed on the injury report for much of the rest of the season with a foot injury.
    However, the injury didn’t seem to hinder Brady’s performance, as the quarterback had one of the finest seasons of his career — he threw 36 touchdowns and just four interceptions over the course of the regular season, and is the odds-on favorite to take home his second NFL MVP award.
    http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2011/01/19/tom-brady-reportedly-set-for-foot-surgery/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement