Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Inferno Ranbat 6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Everybody should pay the same. The idea that better players pay more is silly. Thats not equality.
    Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay to enter a competition in any sport/game where I thought I had literally no chance of even winning once.

But lets be fair, we already know the candidates to win this. There are four lads who can win this....maybe five. We all know who they are. wish I was one of em :D There are over 20 people showing up and paying even though they know they won't win. If everybody had the sort of mentality of "I can't win, I'm not going!"........ we wouldnt have 30+ people attending. We would have less than 10.

There are several guys who haven't made it past the group stages in every tourney.....and they will still be there on the 5th. They do it for the crack and atmosphere etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I'm one of them Kirby, regarding not making it past group stages, but that doesn't mean not winning a single match. If I seriously thought I had no chance of being able to win against a single person there I wouldn't pay the tenner to enter. Would probably still be there for the craic though.

I got third at the last money tourney I was at in XGC. I sure as **** won't get third this time :p. Before, nobody had played against much Dhalsim. I've played most of you guys several times by now. You know my tricks and gimmicks now. I'm expecting to just have a few good matches, get destroyed, and have fun watching the rest of the matches. :)

Who is going to record them all by the way? We won't have Doom there. Is Kiki up for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Didn't Doom say he was coming back on the 5th and would be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I'm not arguing here, I'm just talking. I wasnt saying the top guys have to pay more, I was saying the crap guys have an option to pay less. But honestly I don't care.

& to say for the last time, I have no problem with anything, I am totally up for paying and taking part, I don't think I'll only win one. But I'm able to put myself in the shoes of those other guys who don't have very much money, have to travel, and will get very little game for their monies worth.

On that note, maybe it'd be worth guaranteeing at least 1 maybe 2 consoles for casuals only. For those out to get some games in.

Also I was at one of the tourneys once only as a spectator, I arrived too late to take part and I stayed and watched the whole thing. I love this ****.

& btw if I can make it, I might bring my camera too, but its not the best (ive a tripod though :p )

• Advertisement

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    On that note, maybe it'd be worth guaranteeing at least 1 maybe 2 consoles for casuals only. For those out to get some games in.

This is a great idea. I was waiting for over a half an hour for one of my matches last time. Alot of people were in the same boat. We should have a couple of casuals only machines or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

@Kirby: good point, I must check if I have any free tapes left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

To quote my original post.
    Ry wrote: »
    ...This is why I won't be able to participate. But I will come down for teh friendly gams on the day. I just think 15 is a bit much to ask of those knowing they're screwed, of which there're a lot of us :)

However I do hope this goes well and look forward to enjoying watching the matches and seeing how things play out.

Ry
    Dreddybajs wrote: »
    But you can just go and pay the fiver for console rental, play casuals, and enter the tournament, so what's the problem? The extra tenner is a voluntary price on top of your fiver, if you wish to enter the tournament. If you don't want to enter, don't enter! ...

Yeh that's exactly what I originally said. I said I'd be along to watch the tournament hoping it goes well and I'm sure it'll be entertaining just that 15 is too much for me so I'll just be playing casuals. Glad you got there in the end :)

Looking forward to it!

Ry

And to commentate, Ry!

Yea that's fair enough man. Hopefully we'll sort more machines out for casuals this time around anyway for people who do make the trip but don't want to enter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

HMUYA wrote: »
    And to commentate, Ry!

I don't mind commentating but it's a bit weird just shouting over someone's game random silly ****e while they're trying to concentrate :)

Ry

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I should be there, it's a busy day but I should be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Dole money payin for game tournaments, classy.
    anyway money to go to

Azza
    Doom
    Kirby/Dreddy
    Maybe A-trak, but hes too cool for anysort of cash prize so hell probably donate it to some pink shirt wearing scum playing COD.

If everybody had the sort of mentality of "I can't win, I'm not going!"........ we wouldnt have 30+ people attending. We would have less than 10.
    Its more like il play 2 games and knocked out because of spammers. OH NO HE DIDN ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Kirby wrote: »
    Everybody should pay the same. The idea that better players pay more is silly. Thats not equality.

I kinda agree with this to be honest. How could you draw the line between people who pay most and people who pay less? That said, there should definitely be machines for casuals for those who don't want to enter the tourny.

animaX wrote: »
    I kinda agree with this to be honest. How could you draw the line between people who pay most and people who pay less? That said, there should definitely be machines for casuals for those who don't want to enter the tourny.

People who pick Sagat and people who don't? :rolleyes:

HMUYA wrote: »
    People who pick Sagat and people who don't? :rolleyes:

Haha, you always surprise me daniel :pac:

animaX wrote: »
    How could you draw the line between people who pay most and people who pay less?

Thats already been done, check the 1st post of this thread ;)

But I was suggesting a voluntary thing meaning those who are not considered good enough, don't have to play full price but can if they're able.

So they can pay 5 for the console renting and 5 to enter the tourney but can pay the full 10 for the tourney if they want.

This could possibly bring in more people who are new to the scene to give a tourney a shot. Which in turn could mean even more money for the pot prize. And the top guys will have more cannon fodder to destroy on their way to the money.

But generally I'm just taking into account that not everyone has money to burn the way things are now , and that measly little 5 euro does make a difference for some.

But I'm not arguing for it, I'm just explaining my thinking behind my suggestion.

I didn't expect it to be considered anyway. & just to note once again, personally I'm fine with the fee and not I'm suggesting this for me, I live in dublin so I don't have to pay as much as others by default. Its others I'm thinking of here.

how about only the seeded players PAY ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Reduce the fee maybe. But different amounts for different people is a huge can o worms waiting to be opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

What about free qualifiers for the tournament?

Once past the qualifying stage you pay to enter the tournament?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

L31mr0d wrote: »
    What about free qualifiers for the tournament?

Once past the qualifying stage you pay to enter the tournament?

No.

Might as well just have casual tournaments instead.

The fee is only once every six weeks or so. I know that if I play well I can beat any of the players who have been at our tournaments so far and have no problem parting with fifteen euro for the comps.

I also have never been to the knockout phases of the tournament either.

No.

Might as well just have casual tournaments instead.

The fee is only once every six weeks or so. I know that if I play well I can beat any of the players who have been at our tournaments so far and have no problem parting with fifteen euro for the comps.

I also have never been to the knockout phases of the tournament either.

chopper, man...... there is no chance you will beat me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

I think there is only one real solution to this and that is to compromise.

Some people want it €15 and others want it €10, then go for the middle and make it €12.

Offtopic, I think the Terry Sagat joke has been milked to death lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Reduce the fee maybe. But different amounts for different people is a huge can o worms waiting to be opened.

Placating the masses again Doom? =p All this talk of different fee's is a little redundant. Its a non-runner really. If you think about it, its risk reward that you are trying to put a coefficient on for balancing that make no sense at all for the more experienced guys to accept. Just because they are better they should risk more?

I know its only a fiver but the amount doesn't really matter.

I don't even know why I am saying this as I would be the 'lesser' player who is unlikely to win anyway...Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Placebo wrote: »
    chopper, man...... there is no chance you will beat me. ;)

It's on!

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

During the build up to one of the first tournaments and at the tournament itself the entry fee was discussed . Basically we had proponents for €10 and €15 euro entry fee. A considerable majority expressed preference for the €15 euro entry fee, something in the region of 20-4. People who traveled to the event outside Dublin felt it made the expense of travelling more worthwhile as getting a good result would cover the cost of attending several events. The only exception being Leprekaun who has abnormally high travel expenses due to his location.

We have got a few new additions to the community since then and I'm pretty sure the majority ratio be roughly the same in favor of the €15 entry fee.

Speaking for myself, I think the €15 entry fee is reasonable and offers a great pot prize for the top 2 players and a great incentive for people to try and improve there game and be in with a shot. While the glory of winning is nice it would not motivate me to travel the 2 hours it requires me to get there on its own. A €10 euro entry fee would probably see the top prize drop to €75 at moment and considering I spend €30 odd euro to get to Dublin and paying the entry as well as pay for a few snacks that drops any potential prize for me to at most €40 euro. The risk reward ratio like the Gief match up is not in my favor :( Such a prize pot is not likely going to inspire me to practice and put much effort into getting better either.

Now I see where some players are coming from who feel the have no chance of winning. But if we where to lower the entry fee for these players until they feel the can compete the prize pot would never go back up as there will always be someone who feels they can't compete. It would also be unfair on the players who can play better now. Why should they have to pay more than the other players or get less of a prize when the majority of players want the larger prize pot. Perhaps if the current top players get usurped from there throne in the future they can say I've got no chance I want a reduced entry fee until my skills improve or everyone else gets worse.

I know people already know they are not being forced to enter. Its fine if people want to sit it out or just play casual or come and watch. If you want time to practice so you can up your game then sit the tournaments out, get in as much practice as you can, play as many casuals and online games as you can, watch as many games as you can and read up on the match ups.

I think people should think of the prize pot as a motivator to get good. Don't you want a piece of that juicy apple pie? If you where in with shout of winning and spend a considerable amount of time and effort trying to improve would you not want the prize pot to be as big as possible? While it would be ideal to have everyone compete even if a few people sit out the tournament the prize pot would still be bigger than if entry fee was lowered for everyone.

No one here is near pro yet so there is plenty of room for improvements.
    The top seeded players are all beatable, you just have to be willing to put in some time and learn.

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Offtopic, I think the Terry Sagat joke has been milked to death lads :)

Don't worry man, it doesn't hurt! I get them back with loads of f.hk ultra ;)

anyway money to go to

Azza
    Doom
    Kirby/Dreddy
    Maybe A-trak, but hes too cool for anysort of cash prize so hell probably donate it to some pink shirt wearing scum playing COD.

Cheers Farzad but I'm cursed, I'll draw blag/azza first round yet again and get destroyed :pac:

But different amounts for different people is a huge can o worms waiting to be opened.

I don't really understand why it has to be a can of worms. The only reason I can actually think of for anyone to really have an issues with this is that those who think they have a shot at winning money at the end will be pissed off that they potentially won a bit less cause some 1 only paid a fiver.

Yet that's a fiver they would not have gotten otherwise :confused:

People want to raise the fee to attract said players to the tourney, to make it worth their while. These are players who've a shot at winning.

Having an option for people who've no chance of winning and are broke as hell to join in at a fiver less means both groups of people get what they want.

Instead of reducing the entire fee for everyone.

Just seems logical to me.

We're not all rich golfers (in reference to dreddies tiger woods example) , we're not all living in Dublin, one group wants one thing , another wants something else, this caters to both.

I'm not being fussy and I don't for a second expect this to even happen. & personally I'm paying the full price np whatever it is.

I'd just like to see another reason why someone would be against it apart from what I said at the start. Out of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

anyway money to go to

Azza
    Doom
    Kirby/Dreddy

Naw, My time for beating Doom is fast approaching. He is soo scared of me now that he took SF4 with him so I couldn't practice whilst he was away.

Good thing Modern Warfare 2 came out........

Advertisement