Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Updated offer]Boards.ie exclusive limited offer: switch to UPC and get a €50 voucher

• 17-02-2010 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Hey all,

UPC are offering Boards.ie members an exclusive offer.
    ...to celebrate the huge savings that you can make by switching to UPC, the first 250 Boards.ie members to order a new UPC service will get a voucher for €50 from D.I.D Electrical, The Carphone Warehouse, Woodies DIY or Atlantic Homecare, whichever store you prefer.
    All you have to do is go to this page on their website to sign up.

That's right - it's the first 250 members who get there.

There are some terms and conditions, as follows:
    • This €50 voucher offer is available to existing Chorus ntl / UPC TV customers that sign up to Broadband or/and Home Phone, and to completely new customers that sign up to Digital TV, Fibre Power Broadband or Home Phone.
    • Upgrades to existing Fibre Power Broadband or Home Phone packages do not qualify for this offer.
    • Offer limited to the first 250 orders, and is exclusive to registered users of Boards.ie.
    • Limited to one voucher per customer.
    • Only enquiries submitted via the dedicated form will be eligible for this offer.
    • Your chosen retailer will post your voucher to you within 30 days of our services being installed.
    • These terms and conditions are in addition to and do not replace our standard terms and conditions.
    Chorus_NTL_master_logo_col_rgb.jpg

UPDATE 19/02/10: - UPC have been in touch about these posts:
    TeaServer wrote: »
    Great Bargain. I wonder do you lose out on the online sign-up saving of €20 when they call you back to arrange the services?

and
    Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Hmmm. Wondering what to do now
    As TeaServer says, how does it affect the €20 charge?
    If I was to order broadband and multi room, my understanding is if I don't order online, I have to pay €60 connection (3 connections @€;20)

Taken from UPC T&C
    "A €20 Equipment Activation fee applies for every Digital box or Fibre Power Broadband service that is not ordered online."

And they'd like to tell you that "The good news is that as this is an online offer, we will match the activation rules that apply on http://www.upc.ie so boards.ie members who order through this offer are not disadvantaged in any way." :)

(This is a once off offer in here, and we have discussed it with the moderators.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Nice offer seeing as the Phone could be got for €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Nice one, thanks Darragh! Have signed up.
    This €50 voucher offer is available to existing Chorus ntl TV customers that sign up to Broadband or/and Home Phone, and to completely new customers that sign up to Digital TV, Fibre Power Broadband or Home Phone. Upgrades to existing Fibre Power Broadband or Home Phone packages do not qualify for this offer. Offer limited to the first 250 orders, and is exclusive to registered users of Boards.ie. Limited to one voucher per customer. Only enquiries submitted via the dedicated form will be eligible for this offer. Your chosen retailer will post your voucher to you within 30 days of our services being installed. These terms and conditions are in addition to and do not replace our standard terms and conditions.
    Largely on account on the back of comments here on Boards.ie, I decided about a month ago to move from BT Ireland to UPC instead of going with the Vodafone switchover. They (UPC) have given me an acount no., but the engineer hasn't called yet to install the cable and I therefore am not yet a UPC customer as such — the account hasn't been activated. I don't see anything in the above T&Cs that would preclude me from this offer, am I wrong...? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Two days too late, damn it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

boards.ie is truly mainstream....next vouchers for a luxurious weekend at the Carlton House Hotel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

I signed up :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

hopefully these wont be gone when I'm getting phone & broadband for my new place next month

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭John mac

If i sign up will they put in Fibre to my house ? :) :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

hopefully these wont be gone when I'm getting phone & broadband for my new place next month

You could still fill out the details now to get a voucher, but organise the install date for next month>?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Just wondering, When will a sales agent get onto me? I'm gonna order the phone for my house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭TeaServer

Great Bargain. I wonder do you lose out on the online sign-up saving of €20 when they call you back to arrange the services?

Still it's €30 better off than I would otherwise be!

/T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

If I was to order broadband and multi room, my understanding is if I don't order online, I have to pay €60 connection (3 connections @€;20)

Taken from UPC T&C
    "A €20 Equipment Activation fee applies for every Digital box or Fibre Power Broadband service that is not ordered online."

Also, I know they had a "netbook for €1" offer with Carphone Warehouse which expired at end of January, but I'm told CPW are now doing an MSI Wind (€299) @ €50 if you sign up with them in store....

So many offers, but dunno what charges are applied or taken away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

If they'd provide broadband to me and stop sending me brochures for digital TV I'd swtch in an instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭djdunny

Mad_Mike wrote: »

Taken from UPC T&C

Also, I know they had a "netbook for €1" offer with Carphone Warehouse which expired at end of January, but I'm told CPW are now doing an MSI Wind (€299) @ €50 if you sign up with them in store....

So many offers, but dunno what charges are applied or taken away!

Mad_Mike its not just the MSI laptop for €50. Its a €250 voucher to spend on pretty much anything in the carphone warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I think that instead of spending money on vouchers, they should strenthen there network, and expand it.

They would make alot more money doing this.

I can't get more than 3MB broadband in my house in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭colferma

djdunny wrote: »
    Mad_Mike its not just the MSI laptop for €50. Its a €250 voucher to spend on pretty much anything in the carphone warehouse.

Saw this on a website:

2. To be eligible for this Voucher Offer you must subscribe to one of the following Chorus ntl bundle services in a D.I.D Electrical or Carphone Warehouse Store:
    a. A new Chorus ntl customer purchasing the following Chorus ntl TV, Broadband and Phone bundles: Fibre Web, Fibre Sports or Fibre Ultimate packs.

Fibre Web, the cheapest, is 70e a month.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

How about Chorus NTL offering Boardsies the opportunity to be finally taken off their mailing lists ?

That would be a great offer with massive uptake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

You should save that 50€ voucher when Chorus/UPC decide to hike up their charges again.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

parsi wrote: »
    How about Chorus NTL offering Boardsies the opportunity to be finally taken off their mailing lists ?

That would be a great offer with massive uptake.

+1 on that proposal......chances of it ever happening ZILCH

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

I registered my interest in this offer this morning and just got an email back from them.
    Maybe I'm being pedantic but the wording and spelling is so unprofessional it's put me off a bit!
    Thank you for your interest in UPC products.
    If you can advised me on which products you require, we will porcess your order asap.

Please be advised appointments are both morning & afternoon, if you could inform me on your preference.

your refernce ticket no- XXX-XXXXX

Should you have any queries or questions please call 051-595143

Regards,
    Lisa

For any Retail Sales or Housemoves Support, please call 051595143 and please quote your ticket above or account number for immediate assistance

breeno wrote: »
    I registered my interest in this offer this morning and just got an email back from them.
    Maybe I'm being pedantic but the wording and spelling is so unprofessional it's put me off a bit!

I got the same email -- "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]If you can advised me on", "[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]inform me on your preference", "[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]refernce ticket", fullstops missing -- it's all very unseemly. :([/FONT]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

/T

You still get the online sign-up saving

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

colferma wrote: »
    I got the same email -- "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]If you can advised me on", "[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]inform me on your preference", "[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]refernce ticket", fullstops missing -- it's all very unseemly. :([/FONT]
    dey is UPC lol katz emailz, k? k bai thx
    logo1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

colferma wrote: »

Really? Since when was "--" considered to be punctuation then:confused:
    Damn grammar Nazis! Swine!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,812 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I wonder how I can send them a map to show them where Donegal is? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

gleep wrote: »
    Really? Since when was "--" considered to be punctuation then:confused:
    Yeah, well spotted! What a doofus.* He clearly should've used "---" instead of "--" because he was using plain text to represent an em dash and demarcate, as Wikipedia puts it, "a parenthetical thought or some similar interpolation".

But he got it wrong (unbeliveable I know!) and typed only TWO dashes which is an en dash. What a goof. Give that "grammar nazi" three dozen lashes, and force him to come back and correct his post to include "---" instead of "--", lest he be banned from the site!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash

;)

Apologies for the interruption, we now return you to your regular programming.

*Sarcasm may be present. Proceed with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Boards school is fun!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

/T

Hey there

Chorus/ntl were in touch and wanted to assure us that
    The good news is that as this is an online offer, we will match the activation rules that apply on www.upc.ie so boards.ie members who order through this offer are not disadvantaged in any way.

I've updated the original post to reflect this :)

davenewt wrote: »
    He clearly should've used "---" instead of "--" because he was using plain text to represent an em dash and demarcate, as Wikipedia puts it, "a parenthetical thought or some similar interpolation".

But he got it wrong (unbeliveable I know!) and typed only TWO dashes which is an en dash.

I take issue with the three strokes; they seem bigger than the actual letter 'M', the size towards which we all strive with our em dashes.

Also, I got another email from UPC today which was vastly improved ;):
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Thank you for your interest in UPC products. Your reference ticket no is - XXX, Please quote this to us when contacting us.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] If you can please advise us which products you are interested in, we can ensure your property can receive service and then process your order asap.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Installations can take place both morning & afternoon, if you could inform us of your preference that would be fantastic.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Your reference ticket no XXX[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Should you have any queries or questions please call us on 051-595143[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] We cannot process the order until service availability, and your exact product choice has been confirmed, so if you could call us directly on 051-595143 between the hours of 10am to 6pm Monday to Sunday, we can proceed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Upon successful installation of your ordered products, your voucher will be posted to you by your chosen retailer.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Thanks and we look forward to talking with you soon.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Regards[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] Chorus ntl Retail Support [/FONT]

Despite the comma taking the place of a semi-colon, an odd capital letter in the middle of a sentence and a few other AWOL punctuation marks it was almost perfect :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Hi, Im thinking of getting the Fibre Sports package with Upgrade to Digital+ HD, Multi Room Viewing & Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb.

Is there a limit to the amount of points on the multi room viewing. I would like it in two extra rooms. Do you pay per room? Is this possible?

Also, since im upgrading to 15MB I shouldnt have to pay for the wireless modem as mentioned in the fibre sports deal. Correct?

Should I have any installation fees if ordering the above? Just want to be clear before I go ahead with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I registered my interest and received a prompt call back. The lady on the phone tried to sell me the three basic packages at a combined cost of €60.75 a month (which is a fantastic price for TV, phone and broadband), but I noticed that the "Fibre Bargain" deal had the three services that I wanted, for €59.75. She also mentioned that there was no DVR included in the original €60.75 order, but when I mentioned that the details on the website state that a DVR is included in the basic TV package, she then said that one was included. I was quite confused. While pleasant to talk to, she sounded a bit stressed out.
    davenewt wrote: »
    He clearly should've used "---" instead of "--" because he was using plain text to represent an em dash and demarcate, as Wikipedia puts it, "a parenthetical thought or some similar interpolation".

But he got it wrong (unbeliveable I know!) and typed only TWO dashes which is an en dash. What a goof. Give that "grammar nazi" three dozen lashes, and force him to come back and correct his post to include "---" instead of "--", lest he be banned from the site!

Do you know any guys called "Lisa"? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement