Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winged Insect ID

• 27-05-2020 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hi there, would appreciate it if this little guy could be identified.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

No option to attach image to the op.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

514426.jpg

Mosquito, probably Culex pipiens.

New Home wrote: »
    Mosquito, probably.

Had thought as much but there's no obvious proboscis. Thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That's a very good point... Let me look again.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Yi Harr wrote: »
    Had thought as much but there's no obvious proboscis. Thanks.

I'd still agree with Mosquito, considering that it doesn't look in the peak of health I'd imagine it could have lost some vital 'bits' in it's last affray.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Maybe it's a male, they have much smaller ones don't they?

I'd still agree with Mosquito, considering that it doesn't look in the peak of health I'd imagine it could have lost some vital 'bits' in it's last affray.....

True, he did meet an unfortunate end. I have some more pics of others of the same species where the proboscis isn't visible while still alive though. Will try and dig them out.

It's the lack of visible proboscis while live which has me questioning if it is a mosquito.

There's only one reasonable explanation: ALIENS!!! No wait, there's another, more plausible one: MUTANTS!!! Caused by 5G!!!!

Reminds me of an old story by Boccaccio - there was this cook who had stolen and eaten the leg of a crane his master had killed. When his master asked him why his roasted crane had only one leg, the cook replied "You must have killed it while its other leg was retracted". :D

So, something similar? :pac:

Sorry, I know, I'm not really helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Sorry for jumping in on your thread, I have a similar request,

can anyone help with ID of this little fellah, he stung my wife about 15mins ago, we have applied anthisan and ice to the area, it’s calmed down for now, just curious about what it is.

It’s about 1cm in length.

Thanks to everyone that responds in advance.

The wings make me think of a wasp, the head, body and legs of a bee, but without the antennae I can't be sure.

• Advertisement

can anyone help with ID of this little fellah, he stung my wife about 15mins ago, we have applied anthisan and ice to the area, it’s calmed down for now, just curious about what it is.

Looks like a Honeybee, maybe even an Irish Black Bee but would be slightly bigger than 10mm.....

Bee-256x300.jpg

Yi Harr wrote: »
    No option to attach image to the op.

Doing a bit of research on the original post I came up with this lad/lady,

Rhagio scolopaceus, Snipe Fly.....

https://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/rhagio-scolopaceus

Hmmm. I'm not sold. The wings and the whole shape of the body are different, even if we disregard the colour.

I would say no, and not a normal bee neither, too thin about half or a third of the width of a normal honey bee.

Thanks though, closest I can find online would be a yellow legged hornet (but size is well off)

So, I came across another specimen over the weekend and managed to get some pictures of it prior to it being dispatched.

Still on the fence as to whether it's a mosquito or not but still can't find anything non-mosquito and similar to it.

Mosquito 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

How bad was the sting? As painful as a normal wasp, or not as bad?

How bad was the sting? As painful as a normal wasp, or not as bad?

She said it was very painful.... stronger than wasp/bee sting - but it has been in excess of 20years since she last experienced a sting.

The combination of anthisan and ice calmed it within a few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

She said it was very painful.... stronger than wasp/bee sting - but it has been in excess of 20years since she last experienced a sting.

The combination of anthisan and ice calmed it within a few mins.
    Ah, I was thinking it might be some type of solitary bee, but they say that they would rarely sting and if they do it is very mild compared to a normal bee or a wasp. So they are out the window.

Sooo, after a further bit of searching I now reckon the culprit is Sylvicola species. Possibly Sylvicola fenestralis.

https://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/sylvicola-fenestralis

• Advertisement
Advertisement