Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Quiz marque 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Here's a quick one for ya. What was the name of Delboy's mate Boycie's wife ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

That would be Marlene.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

nompere wrote: »
    That would be Marlene.

Correct

Which pre-Raphaelite poet owned a wombat?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Dante Gabriel Rossetti.

• Advertisement

Very good.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Why thank you! :)

I can't remember if I've asked this before: in Cyrano de Bergerac, what was Roxane's actual name?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭looksee

nompere wrote: »
    Which pre-Raphaelite poet owned a wombat?
    New Home wrote: »
    Dante Gabriel Rossetti.

Now that is obscure esoteric interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Why thank you! :)

I can't remember if I've asked this before: in Cyrano de Bergerac, what was Roxanne's actual name?
    Putontheredlight?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Nice try. Not French enough. :D

Oh, and it wasn't "ROOOOOOOOOOOX aNNNNNNNNNNNNe!", either.

• Advertisement

I suspect it was in fact Roxane, though I have no idea what her actual name was. :)

Sorry, you're right, one N too many. No, though, that wasn't her real name, IIRC that was a nickname Cyrano gave her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Ah here. Half the world is quizzing and this thread struggles. This place used to be lively.

Which reigning king is the greatgrandson of an Irishman?

And we have fizzled out again!

While yiz are all trying to remember the antecedents of kings, I will throw in another one. I generally make a pigs ear of asking questions so I will do my best to not get too ambiguous.

Just about everyone knows what USB refers to in computing, what do the letters stand for?

Dammit, I only read that again recently... Universal something Bus something? Nah, it's gone. :/

BTW, does anyone want to know about Roxane's names?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

looksee wrote: »
    And we have fizzled out again!

While yiz are all trying to remember the antecedents of kings, I will throw in another one. I generally make a pigs ear of asking questions so I will do my best to not get too ambiguous.

Just about everyone knows what USB refers to in computing, what do the letters stand for?

Universal Serial Bus!

You have it IZ, your go!

An odd one, but came across it in a book recently and had to look up the meaning.

What is a flenser or what do they do? (It’s an occupation)

Someone who strips flesh from an animal. Whales are also flensed for blubber.

• Advertisement

Jeepers, sound charming - taxidermy for two to take away, anyone? :|

Roxane's real name was Magdalene Robin, which I found interesting because Roxane means (sort of) ”russet”, Mary Magdalene had red hair and robins have red breasts. :)

Replacement question: what does "scurryfunge" mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Sounds likes something you need a cream for.

:D

No.

Ye have me bet there!

looksee wrote: »
    Someone who strips flesh from an animal. Whales are also flensed for blubber.

Correct - you’re up.

Replacement question: what does "scurryfunge" mean?

Guessing from scurry that it’s do to do something quickly.

No idea about the funge part though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Like William Rowan Hamilton I got a flash of inspiration during my afternoon walk yeterday:

What does tha acronym BOTB stand for?

Best of the best?

Body odour to boot?

Back of the bar
    Bottom of the boat
    Er

anyway I had no idea so I looked it up and 41 acronyms are suggested...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Bring Out The Beer

Advertisement