Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DAB Thread

1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I see RTE switched off their DAB+ stations over the last few weeks (they had a relay of RTE Radio 1 and 2fm using DAB+). Normal DAB (9 stations) still there, for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,744 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

JDxtra wrote: »
    I see RTE switched off their DAB+ stations over the last few weeks (they had a relay of RTE Radio 1 and 2fm using DAB+). Normal DAB (9 stations) still there, for now.

At this rate of progress, they'll be back to the 1920s by next year.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

It was on air until at least Friday the 8th of May as I was listening to radio 1that day and so had to retune my radio today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The fact that this happened and even the anoraks on the radio forum didn't notice tells you everything you need to know about DAB uptake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The fact that this happened and even the anoraks on the radio forum didn't notice tells you everything you need to know about DAB uptake.

Observers probably did notice it, but just assumed it was part of the planned DAB wind-down by RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

What exactly did that save them - two instances of VLC on a server ?

For the record - good selection available on DAB in the North East, some of the Northern stuff not in DAB+ is dire though (like QRadio). Be a shame if the RTE stuff drops off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

kazoo106 wrote: »
    For the record - good selection available on DAB in the North East, some of the Northern stuff not in DAB+ is dire though (like QRadio). Be a shame if the RTE stuff drops off.

Agree with you there. The selection is fantastic but it's just a pity the freedab signal is so weak. It can only be picked up in small parts of Dundalk.

I've picked it up in high parts of Drogheda (around LMFM), also in Ardee and Dunleer
    Hours on it are erratic though since the Dublin one was taken off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

The DAB+ versions of Radio 1 and 2FM are back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Damian F

ka2 wrote: »
    The DAB+ versions of Radio 1 and 2FM are back.

Proof that RTE don't have a clue what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I wonder where dB (dbdb.ie) are in their process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I wonder where dB (dbdb.ie) are in their process.

You would have to ask 'what process ' - there is no licence available - the only process seems to be gathering expressions of interest .

Hope I am wrong. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

Infoanon wrote: »
    You would have to ask 'what process ' - there is no licence available - the only process seems to be gathering expressions of interest .

Hope I am wrong. ....

There isn't a licence and there never was. It would have to be publically advertised anyway, which it wasn't.

I would say it was an cost exercise. Judge the interest and then see if it was worth making a submission to the BAI, showing their support asking them to open a licensing round.

As dbdb say themselves, "this is a full service, not a trial".

I would also say there are now probably a victim of timing with Covid-19, this is the last thing on any station's mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Any update on the situation in regards to DAB+ in the country ? What's on offer at the moment- and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

In Dublin, Freedab is currently broadcasting 20 stations -

Club

Ambition Radio

Angel Vintage

BKLR Radio

Black Culture

Dublin's ABC

Eruption Radio

Fire Radio

Flex UK

Juice Radio

Kream

London Music Radio

Purveyor's Radio

Release Radio

Sami Swoi Radio

Shine 879

Tomorrow Radio

Trans Radio

Unity DAB

Wild Country

I think Freedab are broadcasting in other cities. Anyone like to share the info for these other locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

cork, south east, and the border area are other locations i think.

i have no idea what stations those muxes carry or whether those muxes are still actually on air.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

That is in parts of Dublin

There is not even a whisper of it in large parts of Dublin

• Advertisement

Well there are parts of Dublin that you can't buy a Supermacs meal, but that doesn't mean that Supermacs is not in Dublin.

Freedab are broadcasting in Dublin. Fairly sporadically, but they are broadcasting in Dublin nonetheless. If you want to list reception reports from around the city, that would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Imagine charging €100-€250 a month to be on in PARTS of Dublin!

this only happened in such a tiny amount that it was more or less irrelevant.

in reality, all the information was available for anyone and everyone and it was made very clear that the BBC wouldn't be carried along with all other relevant information that was available at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

Just did a DAB scan in Cork City and got the following 20 stations also. Didn’t have Club (that was seen in Dublin) but got FRESH. However while it said it was playing there was no audio it was the same for Dublin’s ABC and Juice Radio

Ambition Radio

Angel Vintage

BKLR Radio

Black Culture

Dublin's ABC (no audio)

Eruption Radio

Fire Radio

Flex UK

FRESH (no audio)

Juice Radio (no audio)

Kream

London Music Radio