Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Business openings and closures around you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Coincidentally went to Camile Thai in Rathmines a few days ago for dinner. They have several tables if you want to eat your takeaway there. The food was pretty good, perhaps a bit pricey for "fast food". We picked spicy dishes and they were indeed hot and spicy so we were glad.

They are giving away FREE meals each day if you tweet them (not sure how long this deal will last). Check out their twitter profile for details:
    https://twitter.com/#!/camilerathmines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Got a free lunch last week in Camile using that Twitter. Was lovely.

There's a sweet shop after opening in the Swan Centre over the Holland & Barrett side. Second one now in Rathmines (Mr Simms on the main street).

Good luck to them but I've always felt that side of the Centre is cursed. It's too dark and not enough of a variety of shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Sorry to see the Swan centre is such a state, it was a thriving centre when i was growing up, now winos lie on the benches up near Dunnes hardware.

alie wrote: »
    Sorry to see the Swan centre is such a state, it was a thriving centre when i was growing up, now winos lie on the benches up near Dunnes hardware.

Jaysus it's not that bad. In it most days and I've never seen a wino lying on a bench. There's security guards in the place

Well i was down there a few months ago with my kids and there were two of them , my friend lives close by and its a regular thing, when it opened first there were a lot more shops then than there is now, there was a fruit and veg and a big butchers and lots of clothes shops , and kylemore cafe, it seems very quiet these days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Mr. Simms on Lwr. Rathmines seems to have closed. They have been shut since last Thursday or Friday and I saw some stock being removed yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 morg

Kiely's Mt.Merrion is closed. It's the big pub beside Flanagan's furniture, which is also closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

morg wrote: »
    Kiely's Mt.Merrion is closed. It's the big pub beside Flanagan's furniture, which is also closed.

Wow, amazing. It's more than just a pub, it's a state of mind for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

morg wrote: »
    Really? Looked open to me at the weekend.
    Wow, amazing. It's more than just a pub, it's a state of mind for some people.
    Are you thinking of the one in Donnybrook?

Is kielys open or closed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 morg

Correction, Kiely's is open for business. A friend who lives beside it told me it was closed but I checked today and it's definitely open. Apologies for any alarm caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

DLTV has become Boydd barretts clinic.
    Tuthills Bloomfields relocating to Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

The Purty in Dun Leary has closed down 'temporarily'. There's an undated sign on the front saying something like it is closed "for a while". I don't know how long it has been closed for. The pizzareria beside it has been closed for a good while at this stage. It's a pity really - they used to serve nice (and good value) pizza.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

zagmund wrote: »
    The Purty in Dun Leary has closed down 'temporarily'. There's an undated sign on the front saying something like it is closed "for a while". I don't know how long it has been closed for. The pizzareria beside it has been closed for a good while at this stage. It's a pity really - they used to serve nice (and good value) pizza.

z

Yeah, Don Mimi.....fecking lovely pizza!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Is Ray Kavanagh's in Glasthule closed? There were barriers around it the other day.

Did a newsagent in Terenure go on fire?

An Siopa Beag in Terenure was on fire last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Is Ray Kavanagh's in Glasthule closed? There were barriers around it the other day.

I'll be down that way later - will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,793 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I'll be down that way later - will report back.

Its closed at least a couple of weeks, I heard a trader on the radio 2 or 3 weeks ago talking about street parking down there and he mentioned it was gone

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

"Dealz" is opening in Stillorgan Shopping Centre on Sept 3rd. :)

It is located where Post Office used to be and also the former Kenneth Hodgkins furniture unit. There is already a branch in Blanchardstown and to be another new one opening in Bloomfield Sh Centre in D Laoire.

Meanwhile Cosmopolitan the newsagents is closed and with the one that used to be beside Mc Donalds also gone, there is no newsagent serving the area. Always busy places, nowhere to get bustickets etc for miles about...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Meanwhile Cosmopolitan the newsagents is closed and with the one that used to be beside Mc Donalds also gone, there is no newsagent serving the area. Always busy places, nowhere to get bustickets etc for miles about...:mad:

It's very hard for independent newsagents to survive these days-the likes of Centra/Spar/Londis have put paid to that. They just can't match the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,793 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It is located where Post Office used to be and also the former Kenneth Hodgkins furniture unit. There is already a branch in Blanchardstown and to be another new one opening in Bloomfield Sh Centre in D Laoire.

RIP Cosmo, spent many a lunch time in there in my school days browsing the mags for free and getting thrown out. They did a good line in candied popcorn though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

between Lidl, Donnybrook Fair, and now that, I could see Tesco closing in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

between Lidl, Donnybrook Fair, and now that, I could see Tesco closing in the near future.
    Just after being renovated? Seems unlikely. Plus it still gets plenty of business. That said, it's still little better than a Tesco Express, and they haven't really addressed the poor layout or understaffed tills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Starbucks has recently opened in Nutgrove. Seems an unusual location, given that they'd go for more upmarket areas when out of town. The Nutgrove area is really getting a second wind, what with the retail park across the road, and Lidl close by. The "main street" part where Silvio's is is the same as always, however. Maybe the area is getting some overspill "cred" (not sure how else to put it!!) from Dundrum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Good to see some investment in Bloomfields. Bestseller have obviously made the decision that Dun Laoghaire has a future.

It's a shame to see the other shops go though, hopefully one of them will pop up in the old Vero Moda shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Aard wrote: »
    Starbucks has recently opened in Nutgrove. Seems an unusual location, given that they'd go for more upmarket areas when out of town. The Nutgrove area is really getting a second wind, what with the retail park across the road, and Lidl close by. The "main street" part where Silvio's is is the same as always, however. Maybe the area is getting some overspill "cred" (not sure how else to put it!!) from Dundrum?
    . Nutgrove would have been one of the better shopping centers on the Southside prior to dundrum. It then took lost a lot of local buisness to dundrum, however locals are flocking back.as they realise parking is easier and cheaper. It has Tesco, Dunnes, pennys. And its.not as busy as dundrum. You then have lidl and aldi to do your weekly shopping.

ted1 wrote: »
    . Nutgrove would have been one of the better shopping centers on the Southside prior to dundrum. It then took lost a lot of local buisness to dundrum, however locals are flocking back.as they realise parking is easier and cheaper. It has Tesco, Dunnes, pennys. And its.not as busy as dundrum. You then have lidl and aldi to do your weekly shopping.

I live close by Nutgrove and it has gone a bit tired looking , the rent went up a while a go and a few shops could not stay open, Tesco have done up the store in recent times , but seem to have let it slip, The freezers are way too cold and lots of the food has frost bite.

I've always liked Nutgrove. The free and easy parking is a big plus, especially when you compare it to Rathfarnham SC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Down the years, Nutgrove was my 'go to' place with both a Penneys and Dunnes together along with "poundshop" and "bookstation" for kidddie stuff, Nicholls for housestuff etc . It never had a decent coffee place so hope Starbucks does well. I find McDonalds does a very decent coffee for 2 euro and new look to place is more adult friendly. We miss Roches and the Motor Tax office of course and it could do with a proper bookshop. There is a new unit about to open on the Burgerking side.... any ideas what/when?

Advertisement