Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GE2020 - Dun Laoghaire (4 seater)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

Marty Bird wrote: »
    MMOC glad she’s gone useless never done anything good for the area. Back to the Harold to her old job no doubt.

It seems they have forgotten who she is, I was at the tally when that box was opened, and her return in one box there was weak at best :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

If they do somehow manage to pull off a Sinn Féin left wing government RBB could be up for a ministerial role.

If they do somehow manage to pull off a Sinn Féin left wing government RBB could be up for a ministerial role.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
    — ABRAHAM LINCOLN

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

He was interviewed this morning and gave no hint of wanting to be a part of any left grand coalition.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is absolutely no possibility of a 'grand left' coalition. It's all talk from SF to get the press speculating about Mary-Lou as Taoiseach but it's not going to happen. Look at the 19 independents and you'll find a lot of TDs who would be very anti-SF and/or they represent rural areas and will not vote for a Government which includes the Greens.

I know Bertie went into coalition with the Greens but this time is different - they have 12 TDs and will only sign up to a coalition if their policies are well represented in the program for Government that gets agreed. And this time round, that is going to include a straight head-on assault of the agriculture sector, specifically dairy and beef.

Michael and Danny Healy Rae, Mattie McGrath, Denis Naughten, Marian Harkin, Noel Grealish, Sean Canney. All of them are Independent TDs who represent rural parts of the country. None of them has a national policy worth talking about i.e. all they care about is their own backyard and none of them will support a government which includes the Greens, without FF or FG to restrain them.

I also can't see Labour going into any kind of a coalition these days so you can count them out as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

scrumqueen wrote: »
    He was interviewed this morning and gave no hint of wanting to be a part of any left grand coalition.

Must have had a change of heart

Boyd Barrett on minority SF-led government: 'Probably not sustainable for very long but still worth exploring' https://jrnl.ie/5004066

Here's the shopping list of just one of the 19 independents that SF will need onboard if they're to organise a coalition which does not involve FF or FG ......

While many Independent TDs seemed enthusiastic for participation in government, some also outlined significant demands in return for their support. The Cork South-West TD Michael Collins said he would insist on a new and dedicated ministry for fisheries. He also wanted to see a rural resettlement programme and said he would “not support any crowd” that had a role in a potential downgrading of Bantry Hospital.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/the-numbers-aren-t-there-sinn-f%C3%A9in-s-preferred-left-leaning-coalition-gets-a-cool-reception-1.4170873

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Barry Ward came up with a good bye law on single use plastics. Shame he didn’t get in instead of Ms. Hugo McNeil

ted1 wrote: »
    Barry Ward came up with a good bye law on single use plastics.

Heard him on the radio (might have been East Coast FM) talking about it. Does the county council tend to support this type of proposal and can it be voted through by the councillors, even if the council officials are against it?

One of the issues that is bound to come up is the extra cost which take-aways would have to bear. But the really big complaint will come from businesses close to the border with SDCC and the city, they would be able to point out that such a rule would put them at a commercial disadvantage because their nearby competitors wouldn't have that rule and the associated costs imposed on them.

And how do you deal with the take-aways that deliver from remote kitchens located in industrial zones? If such a business didn't like that new rule, they could simply relocate to outside the DLR boundary without any affect on their businesss.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

coylemj wrote: »
    Heard him on the radio (might have been East Coast FM) talking about it. Does the county council tend to support this type of proposal and can it be voted through by the councillors, even if the council officials are against it?

One of the issues that is bound to come up is the extra cost which take-aways would have to bear. But the really big complaint will come from businesses close to the border with SDCC and the city, they would be able to point out that such a rule would put them at a commercial disadvantage because their nearby competitors wouldn't have that rule and the associated costs imposed on them.

And how do you deal with the take-aways that deliver from remote kitchens located in industrial zones? If such a business didn't like that new rule, they could simply relocate to outside the DLR boundary without any affect on their businesss.
    I can only speak for my family and circle of friends but we are quite aware of places that use biodegradable containers, wooden cutlery etc and will support them and avoid places that use non eco friendly packaging. I’m sure other people don’t. But it does put them at an advantage in some cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

ted1 wrote: »
    Barry Ward came up with a good bye law on single use plastics. Shame he didn’t get in instead of Ms. Hugo McNeil

Patronising enough comment there. I rate Barry Ward as a Councillor but I wouldn't be denigrating JCMcN until I see the colour of her contribution to the Dáil. She is a law graduate, barrister, published author on the judiciary, former legal and policy advisor to Fine Gael, former special advisor to multiple Cabinet ministers and has a doctorate in politics.

That might be a bit too much 'Fine Gaelness' for a lot of people but I'll be interested to see how she goes.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Patronising enough comment there. I rate Barry Ward as a Councillor but I wouldn't be denigrating JCMcN until I see the colour of her contribution to the Dáil. She is a law graduate, barrister, published author on the judiciary, former legal and policy advisor to Fine Gael, former special advisor to multiple Cabinet ministers and has a doctorate in politics.

That might be a bit too much 'Fine Gaelness' for a lot of people but I'll be interested to see how she goes.
    It's ironic that yours is the patronising comment considering any of the news articles I read on her in the wake of being nominated prominently mentioned Hugo O'Neill - even her entry on wiki has it mentioned high up - and one Indo article says "She is often referred to by political opponents as "the rugby one"."

Another Irish Times article has this:

"After a turbulent few years for the family, she is turning her attention to becoming a TD as a Fine Gael candidate in Dun Laoghaire. It's helpful to have a rugby legend canvassing with her. She says men on doorsteps are often more intrigued to talk to her husband, Hugo MacNeill. Arguably Ireland's greatest ever full-back in attack, 'Supermac' was a pivotal member of the 1982 and 1985 Triple Crown-winning teams. During the local elections, a who's who of 1980s Irish international rugby, including Ciaran Fitzgerald, Philip Matthews and Ollie Campbell, turned out to support her at a kids' training session at Seapoint Rugby Club.".

She's also not a law graduate, she worked as a solictor for <2 years, and as a barrister for only a couple of months. She's been a near-perpetual student & Fine Gael policy advisor appointee - which is fine, but very far from how you described her.

Maybe be a little less disingenuous? You can make your point "Give her a chance, she could bring something to the table given her academic & policy advisor background" without verbally masturbating over an exaggerated C.V. because you have blue-tinted glasses on.

"After a turbulent few years for the family, she is turning her attention to becoming a TD as a Fine Gael candidate in Dun Laoghaire. It's helpful to have a rugby legend canvassing with her. She says men on doorsteps are often more intrigued to talk to her husband, Hugo MacNeill.

Hugo obviously caught the bug, he's now decided to stand for one of the TCD seats in the Seanad.
    Arguably Ireland's greatest ever full-back in attack, 'Supermac' was a pivotal member of the 1982 and 1985 Triple Crown-winning teams. During the local elections, a who's who of 1980s Irish international rugby, including Ciaran Fitzgerald, Philip Matthews and Ollie Campbell, turned out to support her at a kids' training session at Seapoint Rugby Club.".

+1 she also signed up Fergus Slattery (1970s Ireland and Lions) to put on the orange canvassing jacket and pose with Hugo outside Blackrock Dart station. While they were 'chatting about the upcoming six nations' naturally. See her tweet which I posted in #109 on p.8

It's ironic that yours is the patronising comment considering any of the news articles I read on her in the wake of being nominated prominently mentioned Hugo O'Neill - even her entry on wiki has it mentioned high up - and one Indo article says "She is often referred to by political opponents as "the rugby one"."

Another Irish Times article has this:

"After a turbulent few years for the family, she is turning her attention to becoming a TD as a Fine Gael candidate in Dun Laoghaire. It's helpful to have a rugby legend canvassing with her. She says men on doorsteps are often more intrigued to talk to her husband, Hugo MacNeill. Arguably Ireland's greatest ever full-back in attack, 'Supermac' was a pivotal member of the 1982 and 1985 Triple Crown-winning teams. During the local elections, a who's who of 1980s Irish international rugby, including Ciaran Fitzgerald, Philip Matthews and Ollie Campbell, turned out to support her at a kids' training session at Seapoint Rugby Club.".

She's also not a law graduate, she worked as a solictor for <2 years, and as a barrister for only a couple of months. She's been a near-perpetual student & Fine Gael policy advisor appointee - which is fine, but very far from how you described her.

Maybe be a little less disingenuous? You can make your point "Give her a chance, she could bring something to the table given her academic & policy advisor background" without verbally masturbating over an exaggerated C.V. because you have blue-tinted glasses on.

Disingenuous says the fella whose sources are an IT colour piece and wikipedia. Have a day off.

I'm a Labour and Soc Dems voter and in my youth voted Fianna Fáil.

Now, anyone who qualifies as a Barrister from Kings Inns is either a law graduate or undergoes a professionalisation diploma beforehand. I'm taking it that all Barristers are graduates in law, at either primary degree level or via Kings Inns. If you want to be, I dunno, disingenuous about it, work away.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Disingenuous says the fella whose sources are an IT colour piece and wikipedia. Have a day off.

I'm a Labour and Soc Dems voter and in my youth voted Fianna Fáil.

Now, anyone who qualifies as a Barrister from Kings Inns is either a law graduate or undergoes a professionalisation diploma beforehand. I'm taking it that all Barristers are graduates in law, at either primary degree level or via Kings Inns. If you want to be, I dunno, disingenuous about it, work away.
    The Independent and The Irish Times are "poor sources"?

Maybe you shouldn't use the word 'disingenuous' when it's clear you don't even understand what it means because references to the two biggest irish broadsheets in circulation are pretty much as good as you get.

"Hi there, I'm on the internet and someone showed that I was wrong - what should I do?"

"DOUBLE DOWN ON STUPID"

"Hi there, I'm on the internet and someone showed that I was wrong - what should I do?"

"DOUBLE DOWN ON STUPID"

Hi, and welcome. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Advertisement