Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Benildus secondary

Options
  • 12-01-2017 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there, can anyone please share some feedback on St. Benildus secondary for boys as we are thinking of sending our boys there in the next few years.

About 10 years ago I came across an article in some national broadsheet entitled "The best education money can't buy" - stating that it was a good an academic education as the best private schools. Since then I have been hearing some comments made about it being only good for sports or that it's gotten very rough. Then recently I happened upon a past pupil (would have done his LC about 25 yrs ago) who told me that unless they were sporty or big and tough they would be "eaten alive" at Benildus and that he recommends to people when they ask him that they should opt for private over this school if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Always highly respected.
    Good facilities with a good ethos.
    If I was nearby, I'd be sending my sons there.
    I think that past pupils advice is totally OTT. I was there myself and couldn't disagree more.
    You'll always get a small group of 'hard' kids no matter where you go, but it'll be outweighted by the number who genuinely want to succeed.
    Benildus always has one of the highest percentage to continue on to 3rd level.
    http://www.schooldays.ie/sch/st-benildus-college-rollnumber-60261R/college-progression
    More info:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/feeder-schools/st-benildus-college/60261R

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nuttyboy79

My son goes to school there he's in 3rd year and in no way big or tough and he loves it there never had any trouble good group of friends. Sport is a big part of the school but no pressure is put on any student to take part beyond the weekly P.E. class. I personally couldn't recommend the school enough it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

i live in the area. Hopefully my son will go there. Lots of my friends have kids there.I have never heard a serious bad word about the place.

Strong in academics and sport. They also have a "mental health coach" who is Richie Sadlier the football analyst.

Its a huge boys school so that can seem daunting and I am sure there are stories of rough beviour like everywhere else, but the advantage is that every type of child should be able to find their tribe. The sporty ones, the academics, the technie nerds should find likeminded kids once they settle in

Lots of the fee paying boys schools in South Dublin are big and very sports focussed so its a sweeping statement to say that a private school would automatically be better.

Go to the open day and talk to the teachers and head. Its a very good way to get feel for the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

A friends son went there and he was very big into the GAA.He was constantly being taken out of class to play matches and he left in fourth year to go into the Institute because he wanted medicine.

Another very quiet lad I know went there and he didn't make a single friend, he used to go to the library at break time, this lad is very quiet though so maybe that would have happened wherever he went to school.

I don't like big all boys schools, they are grand if you are a sports jock but otherwise not a very healthy environment to mature in, mixed schools are much better in my opinion.I don't like single religion or single sex schools, they are a throwback to the past and really we would be much better off amalgamating local all boys and all girls schools, its the twenty first century now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Mary63 wrote: »
    I don't like big all boys schools, they are grand if you are a sports jock but otherwise not a very healthy environment to mature in, mixed schools are much better in my opinion.I don't like single religion or single sex schools, they are a throwback to the past and really we would be much better off amalgamating local all boys and all girls schools, its the twenty first century now.

Are you sure your brush is big enough there Mary? You've missed a few stereotypes and generalisations, I'm sure of it...

As my alma mater, I'm very familiar with the school.

Benildus is a big school no doubt, but so are many of the schools in Dublin (Colmcilles is the biggest in the country and seems to thrive despite this). Any rough element is generally because the catchment area is significant (Ballinteer, Dundrum, Sandyford, Stillorgan etc.) and this includes some not so well off suburbs and estates.

Their parents send them to Benildus because of the good reputation of the school. In terms of academia, the year I did the leaving cert, one guy got in the top 10 best leaving cert results in the country (he did two extra subjects himself). So you'll excuse me if I don't put much credence in the story about a kid being taken out of class for sport so much that it hurt his grades and he had to leave the school.

We similarly had a guy in our class who didn't mix well and played table tennis or chess at lunch. Guess what, he's still a quiet and introverted person, turns out it was his personality all along!

The only thing that would make me hesitant to recommend Benildus are the teachers. I suspect that all my past teachers have however retired and the new generation are less inclined to meet out physical punishment and more interested in engaging the pupils minds. It was very interesting to read the shared opinions on that old website rate-my-teacher.com, turns out these dull middle aged men were a$$holes to every class and in every year. But despite them, Benildus churned out hundreds of educated and well adjusted young men who went on to great things.

While it's not a fee paying school in the traditional sense, they do like an auld "voluntary" donation every year BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mary63 wrote: »
    A friends son went there and he was very big into the GAA.He was constantly being taken out of class to play matches and he left in fourth year to go into the Institute because he wanted medicine.

Another very quiet lad I know went there and he didn't make a single friend, he used to go to the library at break time, this lad is very quiet though so maybe that would have happened wherever he went to school.

It's OK Mary, I'm sure all boys schools don't like you.

I don't see what wanting to do Medicine has to do with leaving a school.

Grind Schools are awful places compared to other schools , no extra curricular activities that halo develop students as people. Just soul less places whose aim is to make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I'm an ex-Benildus man myself and have a lot of fond memories of my old school. I snuck in masquerading as a Parent wanting to send their kids to the school back in 2015 during an open day. Was impressed with the facilities - although I come from the old blackboard, chalk and duster-as-weapon era so I would probably be easily impressed anyhow..

Not so impressed to see the original gym hall is now a sit down dining area and the old tuck shop is now a healthy eating counter. So no stuffing yourself with curly wurlys and chipsticks at lunchtime for the health concious modern student. Where's the fun in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

dogmatix wrote: »
    So no stuffing yourself with curly wurlys and chipsticks at lunchtime for the health concious modern student. Where's the fun in that?

Hey Brother Greg... gimme a creme egg!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I sent three of my sons to Benildus, and would give it a vote of confidence, any time.
    None of them were sporty at all: but two became very proficient competitive chess players, having never played it before. The other did creative writing and edited the excellent long-running school magazine.
    All received a very good all-round education and one of them is planning to do his teacher-training hours at his old school!
    Yes, it is large: but it is well-run.
    In my opinion, drawing pupils from a very wide range of socio-economic groups is actually a strength...from stylish hillside homes, leafy suburbs, and some of the tougher areas too: this makes for diversity, inclusiveness, and a widening of experience and toleration.
    Thumbs up from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Benildus is a big school no doubt, but so are many of the schools in Dublin (Colmcilles is the biggest in the country and seems to thrive despite this). Any rough element is generally because the catchment area is significant (Ballinteer, Dundrum, Sandyford, Stillorgan etc.) and this includes some not so well off suburbs and estates.

St Colmcille's isn't even the largest school in south Dublin (720 pupils vs Blackrock's 1,100) but is far off the size of some rural schools such as Gorey CS's 1600 or so pupils. From what I have seen Benildus's facilities far exceed those of some much larger schools.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

My mistake, you're right the secondary school is under the 1,000 mark. It's the primary school that, at 1,500 pupils, is one of the biggest in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spudulike

Hi... anyone got an up to date view on Benildus college. I understand there's been changes in principle there recently. Has this had a positive impact. I have a boy in Primary now and would like to know if this is still a good option or would Oatlands be a better choice????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

spudulike wrote: »
    Hi... anyone got an up to date view on Benildus college. I understand there's been changes in principle there recently. Has this had a positive impact. I have a boy in Primary now and would like to know if this is still a good option or would Oatlands be a better choice????
    Both are very goods boys schools with a wide array of subjects/activities.
    How convenient would the commute be in each case?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spudulike

We are about 2 K from each, but our son won't know many in either and are worried about integration.

Any Advice???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

We are about 2 K from each, but our son won't know many in either and are worried about integration.

Any Advice???
    Benildus doesn't have a primary school. They used to have a small prep school, but I think that's closed now.

That means it has lots of kids coming from different primaries school, a bit of a melting pot. You will indeed have groups that know each other, but it probably has a better chance for a new kid of making friends, compared to Oatlands, where most are coming from Oatlands Primary.

That's the theory. I've no particular experience of either, though I've heard good feedback on both from parents and students.

Benildus seem to be doing some interesting stuff on overall development.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/so-if-you-go-out-and-both-get-drunk-you-can-t-have-sex-that-s-f-ked-up-1.3840294

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nuttyboy79

My oldest is now in 6th year and has loved his time there, he came from a local primary school and most of his friends went there, he has made a lot of new friends from outside the primary school circle.
    My youngest son started there September just gone and loves it too he's come out of his shell more than the older lad settled in quicker and didn't have as many friends start with him from primary, he's made new friends in his class and year. That shouldn't be a problem for your son.

As for the new principal there doesn't seem to be much change from the last two but it's still early days, I don't see much will change as it seems to me to be run very well anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dundrum man

i just read all the comments about benildus personally i wouldnt recommend it
    i spent 5 yrs there and got constantly bulliied

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

One of the advantages of St. Benildus is that the pupils come from a range of primary schools across the area so while some of the first years know each other there is no dominant group. The school consistently turns out top achievers in the Leaving Cert and they have many activities that do not involve sport.
    The most important thing in an all boys school is the discipline code and St.Benildus always had a good code without being overbearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭eire4

The St Benildus primary school has been closed a long time now, sometime in the 90's I think. I actually went to it when it was open back in the 80's and onto the secondary school afterward.

I am from the same era myself. Graduated in 1990. Enjoyed my time at the school and look back happily overall at my time there despite there been some pretty violent teachers there in my day. Played for the school in soccer and gaelic football and sure we did leave early sometimes if we were playing away but certainly did not hurt me academically either at the school doing my leaving cert and on into college.

• Advertisement

As an aside does anyone know why the St Benildus primary school closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Google Earth suggests it's going to be developed for residential housing

Went to Benildus for my secondary education (sat my Leaving Cert in 1980), good school in my book and seemingly many of the teaching staff spent their entire career there which would be a positive point.

I take it you mean the old St Benildus primary school I went to in the 1980's. Does anyone know why it originally closed though as it has been closed since the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

It closed because of fall in pupil numbers.

Who will not remember some of the more violent teachers in the secondary school.

Advertisement