Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motor tax query

• 15-11-2019 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭

My daughter bought a car a few weeks ago. She didn't put it on the road as the tax was out since end of July and there was a bit of trouble getting the log book. The seller's father arrived today with a replacement book and we filled in the change of ownership details.

What I want to know is, if she sets up the insurance tomorrow, would she be able to go to the Motor tax office in Sligo and get a disc straight away or has she to send it to Shannon and wait for it to come back?

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Can only tax it once its been registered in her name. Thats the book to shannon and wait answer. You can check it online a few days after you send it to tax it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Can only tax it once its been registered in her name. Thats the book to shannon and wait answer. You can check it online a few days after you send it to tax it online.

Sound. I thought that would be the case. Was hoping they'd do all in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

sligojoek wrote:
    Sound. I thought that would be the case. Was hoping they'd do all in Sligo.

If ye have the log book and it hasn't been posted yet just bring it to Sligo with insurance info and they should be able to process the change of ownership and tax in the same transaction

ianob7 wrote: »
    If ye have the log book and it hasn't been posted yet just bring it to Sligo with insurance info and they should be able to process the change of ownership and tax in the same transaction

That sounds good. Ya, I've the log book here with everything filled in. She's working till lunchtime so I'll go in and find out first. She doesn't want to pull the trigger on the insurance in case it's going to be sitting idle for another week or so.

We're on the road.

I went to the tax office and was told they could do it no problem. I got the insurance details from her and got change of ownership and tax done in 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement