Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smoke alarm beeping

• 05-11-2019 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hi there we recently bought a nest protect battery version.

I have set it up next to the old smoke alarm that was wired. I took the battery out of the wired smoke alarm the other day as we were using the best battery powered one going forward.

However today the old smoke alarm is still beeping even though I took battery out.

Just wondering if I disconnect the power from it and remove the wires from the base plate and then turn power back on would that stop the beeping?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If the smoke alarm is wired, the battery needs to be fitted or it will beep.

Does the nest one work in the event of a power cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

colm_mcm wrote:
    Does the nest one work in the event of a power cut?

Ye nest one works in power cut as it's battery powered not wired to mains

Just wondering can I remove the wires from old smoke alarm and will that stop the beeping as I no longer have a need for that one

Silly question maybe, but why not just keep the old one working?

colm_mcm wrote:
    Silly question maybe, but why not just keep the old one working?

Just even for the next few days to stop the beeping I was thinking.

Can anyone recommend the best batteries for the wired smoke alarm. Bought a Duracell 9V but it kept beeping so that's when I ordered the nest

• Advertisement

Have you reset the alarm after changing the battery by holding the test button down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

Just wondering can I remove the wires from old smoke alarm and will that stop the beeping as I no longer have a need for that one

so you're disconnecting the mains/battery backup alarm and replacing it with a battery alarm:pac:

colm_mcm wrote:
    Have you reset the alarm after changing the battery by holding the test button down?

No never did that

Twister2 wrote:
    so you're disconnecting the mains/battery backup alarm and replacing it with a battery alarm

Ye I like the idea of the built in battery powered ones from nest plus reviews are outstanding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

Ye I like the idea of the built in battery powered ones from nest plus reviews are outstanding

NP , would have been better if i posted without the:pac:

mains+battery is safer

the most important function of smoke alarms is to wake when occupied

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ye nest one works in power cut as it's battery powered not wired to mains

There is also a mains version available from Nest that has battery backup. I have two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Possibly need for a re chargeable battery?
    But maybe I misunderstood

Advertisement