Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-11-2019, 14:57   #676
jaymla627

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
I asked the question, what's a two year old friesian bullock worth, or bull either
Calf buyer here would be getting them into nearly a 1000euro in the factory even at current price but a ton of meal would be going into the animal over its lifetime, would be killed circa 27 months as bullocks
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-11-2019, 15:00   #677
Base price

Quote:
I asked the question, what's a two year old friesian bullock worth, or bull either
O grading bulls are 3.20/kg so about €960 before costs at 300kgs dw.
15-11-2019, 15:04   #678
wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymla627 View Post
Calf buyer here would be getting them into nearly a 1000euro in the factory even at current price but a ton of meal would be going into the animal over its lifetime, would be killed circa 27 months as bullocks
I was just making that point that at the contract rearing cost to 24 mths of €1000 would leave no margin and I'm leaving that extra three months free.
€1.40/day wouldn't be great either as you'd have two winters whereas the contract rearers would be getting older calves and only half the second winter
15-11-2019, 15:06   #679
wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Base price View Post
O grading bulls are 3.20/kg so about €960 before costs at 300kgs dw.
You're obviously doing it, can't be easy to have a margin.
Just edited tosay I used to do Calf to beef, always thought it was the best for lifestyle in farming,
Quiet animals, no night time calving, more free time and more flexible

Last edited by wrangler; 15-11-2019 at 15:10.
15-11-2019, 15:41   #680
Base price

Quote:
You're obviously doing it, can't be easy to have a margin.
Just edited tosay I used to do Calf to beef, always thought it was the best for lifestyle in farming,
Quiet animals, no night time calving, more free time and more flexible
We used to do a good few of them but not anymore. It is important to choose a good FR bull calf otherwise your on a path to loosing money before you start. The last few we had killed out ave of 327.5 and we got €3.25 in August they aged from 26 to 30 months.
Advertisement
15-11-2019, 15:53   #681
Bass Reeves

The truth is at present no animal is leaving a margin. 330kg HE and 300 kg AA being slaughtered under 30 months at present prices s
Are hitting 1100 and 1200 approx. No margin in them either. Good HE might hit another 100 more. But in general that is tops at present. We will not even talk about suckler bred cattle.

Next spring lads will have to look at market conditions before buying and also remember there is plenty calves out there.

So what calf represents the best value a goodish FR at 20-50 euro at 20-30 days of age. A HE calf at 250-300 at 15-20 days of age or an AA same age as the HE at 130-200 euro.
IMO the Friesian is the best value Inn that scenario.
15-11-2019, 16:21   #682
Base price

There is a strong likelihood of securing additional lairage space in Cherbourg for this Spring although the article doesn't say how much.
https://www.farmersjournal.ie/strong...erbourg-508949
Thanks from:
15-11-2019, 16:26   #683
Base price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Reeves View Post
The truth is at present no animal is leaving a margin. 330kg HE and 300 kg AA being slaughtered under 30 months at present prices s
Are hitting 1100 and 1200 approx. No margin in them either. Good HE might hit another 100 more. But in general that is tops at present. We will not even talk about suckler bred cattle.

Next spring lads will have to look at market conditions before buying and also remember there is plenty calves out there.

So what calf represents the best value a goodish FR at 20-50 euro at 20-30 days of age. A HE calf at 250-300 at 15-20 days of age or an AA same age as the HE at 130-200 euro.
IMO the Friesian is the best value Inn that scenario.
I honestly don't see many dairy farmers keeping FR bull calves for 20 to 30 days let alone taking €20-€50 for them. IMO the only time FR bull calves are held on farms is when the weather is bad and the lorries cannot sail. As I posted above there is a strong likelihood of additional lairaige space in Cherbourg in Spring which should alleviate the problem.
15-11-2019, 17:12   #684
Mooooo

Down here anyway I know of very few that are sent before 3 weeks, calves in feb March never make much in bandon with the last year's at that age and it was always the exporters that put a floor on the price. As I said previously I always found it strange that calves in feb would be 80 euros and a calves sold in may June may make 160, same age both fr, when even if prices were reversed the Feb calf is always the better buy. It could well be a case as K.G said that the rest of the countries dairy farmers adjusts to what the west cork lads have been getting for calves for the last 4 of 5 years.
Advertisement
15-11-2019, 18:45   #685
Buford T. Justice VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooooo View Post
Down here anyway I know of very few that are sent before 3 weeks, calves in feb March never make much in bandon with the last year's at that age and it was always the exporters that put a floor on the price. As I said previously I always found it strange that calves in feb would be 80 euros and a calves sold in may June may make 160, same age both fr, when even if prices were reversed the Feb calf is always the better buy. It could well be a case as K.G said that the rest of the countries dairy farmers adjusts to what the west cork lads have been getting for calves for the last 4 of 5 years.
Them west Cork lads, a great bunch of lads altogether
Thanks from:
15-11-2019, 21:56   #686
Markcheese

Quote:
I honestly don't see many dairy farmers keeping FR bull calves for 20 to 30 days let alone taking €20-€50 for them. IMO the only time FR bull calves are held on farms is when the weather is bad and the lorries cannot sail. As I posted above there is a strong likelihood of additional lairaige space in Cherbourg in Spring which should alleviate the problem.
Unless legislation kicks in..! (maybe not in spring 2020)
If the exporters aren't allowed to take and export them till they're a month old or more,
And nó one will take calves that haven't been well cared for and thriving, so they'll be left with the dairy farmer..
15-11-2019, 21:59   #687
K.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice VI View Post
Them west Cork lads, a great bunch of lads altogether
Oh the love.
Thanks from:
15-11-2019, 22:05   #688
Bass Reeves

Quote:
There is a lot of assumptions made on the premise that people have choices. It is interesting that I think it was Cork Marts said the Department should change the calf retension from 10-21 day...at least. Marts themselves may bring in a rule similar to this if calves remain unsold and dairy farmers refuse to bring them home in fear of disease.

Calf export markets are in general are for Fr calves for veal. Lat spring dairy farmers switched to beef breed bulls because expansion is slowing down. Dawg posted already that Irish calves caused issues when bought last spring by veal farmers. Mainly I suspect as they may have been very young on export.

Calf numbers will be higher. Wrangler posted that the expectation is about 50K. Add in that there may be a switch from winter milk as well and 40-60 extra calves in that 10-12 week spring period.

With the present beef price, the treatment of bulls especially Fr bulls over the last 12 months there will more than likely be less Irish buyers around. those that are around will be more choosy and will also have more choice.

Put all of these different pressure points into play and the dairy farmer may have to adapt to holding calves for longer periods before sale,. Teagasc and other bodies have already indicated the same. The day of tagging a calf at birth registering him 2-3 days before hand and expecting to turn up at a mart when the calf is 10 days old on paper is changing fast.

Yes lads will offload the January early February calves easy but when the glut starts in early March lads will be much choosier, and the early lads might decide they wait for value as well.
Thanks from:
16-11-2019, 08:43   #689
grassroot1

Just listening to countrywide there now,how would most dairy farmers be fixed if they got a TB outbreak and had to hold onto calves for a period?
16-11-2019, 09:06   #690
Sheep breeder

Quote:
Not arguing with you, but how many calves are wanted for export into Europe, the demand in Holland has slowed down due to the nitrates issue, the numbers for Poland and Romania etc are increasing also for these markets. The margin of exporters is decreasing and getting paid is becoming a big problem. It’s not long ago cork marts exit the game and are now back dictating how calves should be presented. A family relation in Enniscorthy always says that calves are pricey in that end of the world due to cork marts man pushing price up and you would think there was no calves in Munster.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion