Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Course Fishing

Options
  • 22-09-2019 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I've been fishing for years, boat, shore and game fishing(trout). However I'd love to try my hand at course fishing, particularly carp and pike fishing.

The trouble is that I do not know where to start. I live in Greystones in Wicklow. I like the idea of overnight fishing as well as daytime fishing.

Is there a group or club I could join in order to learn more about course fishing or does anyone have a suggestion for me to get started?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ray.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

There s a list of clubs here for course fishing clubs around Ireland,

https://www.ncffi.ie/about-us/find-a-club/

There should be a list of affiliated pike angling clubs throughout the country here

http://www.angling-in-ireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

For coarse fishing, probabaly best find a local club and ask to join or come along to a days fishing.
    Or find a canal get a 13ft float rod and reel setup, get a oint if maggots and try your hand at some canal fishing.

Pike,
    Pike are not classed as Coarse fish, they fall into the predator category.
    If you have never fished for pike before, even though you sound like you have a good few year experience from game/sea fishing, I would try going with someone who fishes for pike regularly.
    Methods can depend on the water, conditions and whether it's a river or lake etc.
    Pike welfare is also an important thing to think about when setting out to catch them, proper landing, handling and unlocking tools are essential to ensure the pike swims away healthily.

As with coarse fishing, try to find locals who are into piking and tag along.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

For coarse fishing, probabaly best find a local club and ask to join or come along to a days fishing.
    Or find a canal get a 13ft float rod and reel setup, get a oint if maggots and try your hand at some canal fishing.

Pike,
    Pike are not classed as Coarse fish, they fall into the predator category.
    If you have never fished for pike before, even though you sound like you have a good few year experience from game/sea fishing, I would try going with someone who fishes for pike regularly.
    Methods can depend on the water, conditions and whether it's a river or lake etc.
    Pike welfare is also an important thing to think about when setting out to catch them, proper landing, handling and unlocking tools are essential to ensure the pike swims away healthily.

As with coarse fishing, try to find locals who are into piking and tag along.

Pike do fall under course fish. No such thing as predator category. Pike perch chub even Rudd eat fish also but they are all still course fish.
    Perch are probably more voracious hunters than pike believe it or not. Rudd will eat insects and fry.
    Not having a go but there isn’t a predatory category.
    Trout and salmon are predators but they fall under game fish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

It's probably not the best time to start coarse fishing as once it's starts getting cooler in the next few weeks , the fish will start shoaling up and are harder to catch. I'm not saying you won't catch but it's fair less enjoyable. Summer time is far better as fish are more active. As for Pike , they've been under extreme pressure by people taking them for the pan , so most anglers keep quiet now about where they caught them. they are in most waterways anyway , so many try spinning lures slowly as sitting behind deadbaits rods in the freezing cold , is not the most enjoyable type of fishing

Pike do fall under course fish. No such thing as predator category. Pike perch chub even Rudd eat fish also but they are all still course fish.
    Perch are probably more voracious hunters than pike believe it or not. Rudd will eat insects and fry.
    Not having a go but there isn’t a predatory category.
    Trout and salmon are predators but they fall under game fish

I know where you're coming from, and I know you're not having a go.
    I just think Pike fishing has moved on so much that there are "predator" anglers and "coarse" anglers now.
    Different views and all that.

That said, I havnt wet a line in 2 years.
    Hopefully new boat next year and get the lures out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

If you fancy a nice spin, Head down to Oaklands in New Ross, plenty of Carp & Tench there amongst others, locals will fill you in

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I know where you're coming from, and I know you're not having a go.
    I just think Pike fishing has moved on so much that there are "predator" anglers and "coarse" anglers now.
    Different views and all that.

That said, I havnt wet a line in 2 years.
    Hopefully new boat next year and get the lures out.

I get what ya mean. I’ve often been out for roach and bream and the likes and caught pike and perch on maggots.
    But one time I caught a Rudd on a surface lure. Tiny surface lure for perch.

I get what ya mean. I’ve often been out for roach and bream and the likes and caught pike and perch on maggots.
    But one time I caught a Rudd on a surface lure. Tiny surface lure for perch.

Brilliant, I'd say that took you by surprise !

Advertisement