Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Open 2019

• 23-08-2019 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Last grand slam of the year and decade, let's hope it's a good one!

Women's draw

Men's draw

Will certainly have my eye on the Serena Vs Sharapova R1 (!) match, their first ever meeting at the US Open.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Last grand slam of the year and decade, let's hope it's a good one!

Women's draw

Men's draw

Will certainly have my eye on the Serena Vs Sharapova R1 (!) match, their first ever meeting at the US Open.
    Can't seem to find any TV schedule unless its an online streaming issue, anyone got any info?cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Djokovic's draw isn't easy on paper.

Anderson/Wawrinka
    Medvedev
    Federer
    Nadal

Neither is Halep's

Andreescu
    Stephens/Kvitova
    Osaka
    Serena

I like Pliskova's chances of making a semi or maybe even a final with the draw she's been dealt.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Can't seem to find any TV schedule unless its an online streaming issue, anyone got any info?cheers.

It was on Amazon Prime last year, presumably same this year.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yep, only being broadcast on Amazon prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Yep, only being broadcast on Amazon prime.

Amazon didn't exactly knock it out of the park last year, hope they have improved.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They've doubled their frame rate and have all the live streams available. Much improved on last year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Djokovic though with little trouble. Johanna Konta faltered in parts but came through in the end. Venus Williams played very well and steamrolled through Zheng in no time at all. A very bad day at the office for Angelique Kerber, beaten by Mladenovic.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,559 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You just gotta love Serena more; when asked about Carlos Ramos being kept away from matches involving her and her sister, she replied that she didn't know who he was....

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

walshb wrote: »
    You just gotta love Serena more; when asked about Carlos Ramos being kept away from matches involving her and her sister, she replied that she didn't know who he was....

So she's still as rude and entitled as always then, great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

So she's still as rude and entitled as always then, great.

a real vile person she is ...

hope she gets beaten in the final again ...

• Advertisement

Got money on Nadal only at 4/1 .... stupid to wait, he was on 5/1 about a week ago.
    Guess the draw makes it a lot easier.

Still, money in the bank though.

Got money on Nadal only at 4/1 .... stupid to wait, he was on 5/1 about a week ago.
    Guess the draw makes it a lot easier.

Still, money in the bank though.

Don't think he is going to beat either Djokovic or Federer if either arrive in the final anyway fit. What are the odds on neither reaching the final?

New lads will do him a favour and remove Fed + Djok - GUARANTEED!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

New lads will do him a favour and remove Fed + Djok - GUARANTEED!

You say this every grand slam tournament, you said the exact same thing at Wimbledon

sxt wrote: »
    You say this every grand slam tournament, you said the exact same thing at Wimbledon

This time tho ... USO is slowest hard court ...

sorry, i forgot that Hector is generally running a jinx/anti-jinx/counter-jinx, jinx-the-jinx thing, i should not have got involved!

This time tho ... USO is slowest hard court ...

And he hasn't won it in 6 years now...

Oh, is it even slower now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

walshb wrote: »
    And he hasn't won it in 6 years now...

Oh, is it even slower now?

2017 was 2 years ago...:pac:

2017 was 2 years ago...:pac:

Jaysus, forgot 2017...

Had 2013 in my mind...

and in 2017 I won about 200EUR on him .... bingo!!!

Look if you discount all the times I'm wrong, I'm right 100% of the time - all the time!!!!

I mean PaddyPower should have me on a retainer ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭josip

and in 2017 I won about 200EUR on him .... bingo!!!

Look if you discount all the times I'm wrong, I'm right 100% of the time - all the time!!!!

I mean PaddyPower should have me on a retainer ...

It's a restrainer that's needed, not a retainer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Thiem and Tsitsipas gone. Zverev taken to 5. Khachanov struggling.

Embarrassing ****e again from the young guns.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Poor showing from Thiem, Fabiano played great, though. Not surprised that Tsitsipas is gone, a very inconsistent player. Zverev won't be in the running after that poor performance. He made hard work of it, even though he was two sets to love up and coasting through. A succession of unforced errors saw him loose the next two sets and was lucky to come through at 6-2 in the fifth. It didn't need to be as difficult as he made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It looks like all hopes are on Medvedev stopping the big 3 this time out.

Disappointed in Tsitsipas, I was in Madrid to see him beat Nadal in May and really thought he'd be the one to do it after the way he played that night. He's been utter rubbish since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Very hard to fathom the current state of the game big 3 aside. Its turned into what the WTA has been criticised so much for over the past few years. Sheer inconsistency, players not as fit as they could be, mentally brittle players in the top 10 etc

Are some of the next gen just not willing to graft as much? Are they more concerned with the "business side", attending events, social media, maintaining a good image etc? Is the money just too much in the game now, and are they happy to phone in a lot of the season once their ranking is high enough to ensure qualification to all the major events, and hence higher yearly earnings all round?

Who knows, but the game is headed for a very poor state when the big 3 pack it in, as it stands

jr86 wrote: »
    Very hard to fathom the current state of the game big 3 aside. Its turned into what the WTA has been criticised so much for over the past few years. Sheer inconsistency, players not as fit as they could be, mentally brittle players in the top 10 etc

Are some of the next gen just not willing to graft as much? Are they more concerned with the "business side", attending events, social media, maintaining a good image etc? Is the money just too much in the game now, and are they happy to phone in a lot of the season once their ranking is high enough to ensure qualification to all the major events, and hence higher yearly earnings all round?

Who knows, but the game is headed for a very poor state when the big 3 pack it in, as it stands

Indeed.

I have lived through glorious eras of tennis. I cannot see it with the talent today, once the big three finish up

80s had Mac/Borg/Becker/Lendl/Edberg/Cash
    90s had additions like Agassi and Sampras and Courier and Kuerten and Goran and Rafter and Henman

00s had additions like Hewitt and Safin and Roddick and Fed and Nole and Nadal and Wawrinka and Murray etc

This current era has no names other than the top three.....

Jaysus these new talented young guns are awful emotional flakes
    "I feel my mind is just - I don't feel inspired," said Tsitsipas after his loss. "I don't feel like I'm chasing something."

Serious lack of drive and mental strength amongst them all - starting with Dimitrov, down to Zverev and now Tsipsitas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Watching the halep Townsend match. Cant believe the size of Taylor Townsend. Has she been injured? I remember talk of her a couple of years ago but nothing since.

Sluggish stuff from Fed at times. When he needed to step it up he did.

• Advertisement

Good five set match between Zverev and Tiafoe earlier. Zverev marches on but still highly unlikely to be a contender.

Advertisement