Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance for first time driver

Options
  • 14-08-2019 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Looking for recommendations for insurance companies that will quote for a young new driver (who has learner permit and is just undertaking EDT currently).

He tried some online, got a couple of quotes but it seems many won't quote. Looked for a quote to add him as a named driver to my own policy, after a week with underwriting they came back with a figure of €2,500 for a year to add him as a named driver on my policy!

I know its not going to be cheap starting off, my own insurance is up for renewal in a couple of months so I am willing to move company if I can get it cheaper to put him on as a named driver for the moment.

Any advice much appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Looking for recommendations for insurance companies that will quote for a young new driver (who has learner permit and is just undertaking EDT currently).

He tried some online, got a couple of quotes but it seems many won't quote. Looked for a quote to add him as a named driver to my own policy, after a week with underwriting they came back with a figure of €2,500 for a year to add him as a named driver on my policy!

I know its not going to be cheap starting off, my own insurance is up for renewal in a couple of months so I am willing to move company if I can get it cheaper to put him on as a named driver for the moment.

Any advice much appreciated thanks.

How about Aviva

https://www.aviva.ie/lessons/driving-school/#anchor1

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭vonlars

Definitely second Aviva. Do the EDT course with them and you get 6 months free. The local Aviva instructor was pretty useless, so I did end up doing about 4 lessons after with someone else but in all, it still worked out way cheaper.

An added bonus to it was when I went to get my own policy after passing my test, rang Aviva and they told me they couldn’t quote me as they didn’t insure young drivers. Found some loophole about this, where they have to give you a quote if you’d been insured with them before. Ended up getting my first policy in my own name with them for €1,300 (comprehensive) when all other insurers were coming in at €2,000+ for just third party.

I was in this situation myself a few years ago. Look at Just 4 Women (or whatever it's called), it's not actually just for women, and they gave me and my now (non driving) husband the best quite for two L drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

Aib and liberty came in the cheapest here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I went through a broker, aaran. And have been with them since as renewals were consistently cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Thanks so much everyone, great to have a few places to start looking. Really appreciate it, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 coreb_KK

Hi vonlars,

Do you know what that loophole was as it seems very similar to what is happening with my daughter at the moment ?

She's done the level 1 and 2 with their driving school and passed her test but now they won't quote her without doing level 3.

Thanks, David

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Another shout for Aviva. Put my son through that programme. His first insurance in his own name came in at @€;800 ish fully comp. He was 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Another shout for Aviva. Put my son through that programme. His first insurance in his own name came in at @€;800 ish fully comp. He was 18.

Thats a very good quote, what percentage do they offer off the quote,my son has just completed the course with Aviva might give them a ring, what car was he quoted for?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Thats a very good quote, what percentage do they offer off the quote,my son has just completed the course with Aviva might give them a ring, what car was he quoted for?

Whether he passed the test or not they offer 30% NCB. That quote was on a seat iiiza 1.2 . He has an Octavia 1.4 now and ins fully comp is €663. He's 22 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 EvanKane

Thats an amazing quote, Ive done the Aviva level 1, passed my test first time while still under level 1 insurance, so jumped straight to level 3 after and passed the level 3 assessment first time. My cover ends in September and I got a quote for my own car(2012 Mazda 2) I bought back in February(have has it sitting on the drive since then!), and I got a quote for €2,540. Its still the cheapest quote(Asgard €5,723, Liberty €3,777). But how come its so high compared to everyone elses?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sanna

I went through Whoops.ie, 45, female ans first timer on a learners, got it for €2,360, was best deal I could get, got cheaper deals but excess was mental, one was 3k! The Whoops one I paid an extra 40e to bring my excess down to 0.

Once I passed instead of paying 199e a month it was 173e. Now in process of looking at 2nd year with 1 yr no claims and god Im getting quoted stupid pricing!

I just wanted to come back here with an update.

Thanks to everyone who gave recommendations, with my insurance up this month I contacted Aviva and got a renewal quote which was 20% less than what my previous insurer quoted.

With Aviva I also was able to add my young learner driver (using their driving school package) for €500 and this gives 6 months of cover on my car AND all of his lessons.

So I saved about €200 off my own insurance, and €1250 off what my previous insurer would have charged him for 6 months cover on top of €500 for the EDT lessons.

Unbelievable the guts of 2k saved from changing to Aviva. All done online too so couldn't be easier.

Thanks all!!

I just wanted to come back here with an update.

Thanks to everyone who gave recommendations, with my insurance up this month I contacted Aviva and got a renewal quote which was 20% less than what my previous insurer quoted.

With Aviva I also was able to add my young learner driver (using their driving school package) for €500 and this gives 6 months of cover on my car AND all of his lessons.

So I saved about €200 off my own insurance, and €1250 off what my previous insurer would have charged him for 6 months cover on top of €500 for the EDT lessons.

Unbelievable the guts of 2k saved from changing to Aviva. All done online too so couldn't be easier.

Thanks all!!

Check if it's still the same as it was with me. You must after the initial 6 months insurer him for another 6 months on your car,then,after that and subject to the instructor signing off that your youngster is competent the young driver qualifies for a 30%ncb on his/her own car. There cant be a break in insurance cover though.

Check if it's still the same as it was with me. You must after the initial 6 months insurer him for another 6 months on your car,then,after that and subject to the instructor signing off that your youngster is competent the young driver qualifies for a 30%ncb on his/her own car. There cant be a break in insurance cover though.

Will do, I'll have to check thanks.

I wouldn't mind keeping him on it anyway it seems very reasonable. His plan is to do lessons and pass test and get his own car but these things don't always work out that way! 😜

Will do, I'll have to check thanks.

I wouldn't mind keeping him on it anyway it seems very reasonable. His plan is to do lessons and pass test and get his own car but these things don't always work out that way! 😜

They looked for €1k off me for the 2nd 6 months. I kept at them and telling them it was a rip off and to talk to the underwriters, after about 2 weeks arguing they came back with ( if I remember correctly) €380.

****ing hell, that's unreal. I was paying that last year (with Liberty) with an unblemished 8 year full licence.

Aviva took it down to €530 this year, thank ****.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement