Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teacher poking/prodding students over posture.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Actually Child protection 'due process' says to raise the concern with the designated liaison person.... Is that the teacher involved in the accusation?

People here say prodding students and demeaning them by exclusion and making them cry isn't a child protection issue.

Even if the evidence is hearsay you MUST go to the DLP first, every teacher knows that. It's not the parent's role to ascertain if the allegations are true or not.

If in the op's post there was a suggestion of inappropriate touching of a sexual nature.... would be procedure to 'talk to the teacher' first?
    Physical, emotional or sexual abuse... They're all bad. If what the kid AND other parents say is true then it would be physical and emotional abuse.

Thank you for this post . As a paeds nurse we also have a due process and was a little concerned reading posts that seemed to indicate it was not so in teaching ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I would hope that a quiet word and the teacher would dial it back a bit. That might be best or more correct coming from the principal. I've found most teachers are approachable. You do meet the odd one who just isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

https://youtu.be/A6ajoHrYe_M This is a video of a teacher being abused by pupils. Recorded by some pupil who clearly did not approve of his/her classmates' behaviour!

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/A6ajoHrYe_M This is a video of a teacher being abused by pupils. Recorded by some pupil who clearly did not approve of his/her classmates' behaviour!

Shocking behaviour and I hope the teacher was supported and doing ok .But I am not entirely sure how it is relevant to this thread ?

It'g relevance lies in the questionable credibility of young people(possibly all people) in a "group-think" situation. If that incident had not been recorded but merely documented by that unfortunate teacher is this the picture which would emerge when those pupils were questioned?

• Advertisement

It'g relevance lies in the questionable credibility of young people(possibly all people) in a "group-think" situation. If that incident had not been recorded but merely documented by that unfortunate teacher is this the picture which would emerge when those pupils were questioned?

Very true . And also works the other way around , will a teacher admit to being cruel and unkind if not filmed and found out . My point is there are wonderful teachers out there , wonderful nurses , wonderful Gardai .But like every other job there are bad ones and we must listen to our children when they voice a concern

It'g relevance lies in the questionable credibility of young people(possibly all people) in a "group-think" situation...

The information is coming from different children and parents from different years and classes. The teacher didn't deny it either when brought to their attention.

There seems to be a lot of hearsay at play here ie stories from parents regarding previous years If the teacher had been accused of physical abuse of a child she would have immediately documented this. She would have informed the Principal, if the Principal were not already aware of it, and her trade union. The matter would have been addressed and thoroughly documented back then and some action taken. Teachers are advised not to have any physical contact with pupils except in extreme situations where a pupil is in danger. The baby grow comments are possibly banter. Sometimes banter offends and it might be worth mentioning this to her.

Just my opinion..

If something regularly causes kids to cry in a class. It isn't banter.
    If it happens regularly, it not done by accident.
    If people are crying, the point of avoiding stress has already long past.

There is parental rumour concerning physical abuse and no record of this abuse and what ensued! That surely sets of all sorts of warning bells. Such a situation would be a legal minefield for a school!I would tread carefully and attempt to inject a modicum of commonsense into this situation. Ten years of age! I could be mistaken, but that sounds like 5th Class-a vital stage of development both academically and emotionally, for pupils. A lot of work needs to be covered because 6th Class has many events which will absorb a pupil's time, energy and emotions.What is not needed is a class high on dramatic tension and a teacher under stress due to unwarranted criticism and what, quite frankly, could develop into a witch-hunt. The poster needs to address the issue with the teacher. If this person had assaulted a child in the past there would be a record of it. She needs to ask the teacher not to talk about baby grows etc. Any reasonable person will have no problem with this if it is upsetting a child. He/she needs to question what possibly lies behind all of this. Is it in-school politics? Will my child lose out because of this? It is now approaching late October. The focus should be on the pupils' education.

• Advertisement

There seems to be a lot of hearsay at play here ie stories from parents regarding previous years If the teacher had been accused of physical abuse of a child she would have immediately documented this. She would have informed the Principal, if the Principal were not already aware of it, and her trade union. The matter would have been addressed and thoroughly documented back then and some action taken. Teachers are advised not to have any physical contact with pupils except in extreme situations where a pupil is in danger. The baby grow comments are possibly banter. Sometimes banter offends and it might be worth mentioning this to her.

Personally I would forget hearsay or indeed any chat at the gates . But I would definitely listen to my own childs concerns and her worry concerning others crying .
    I must say I am taken aback at the amount of posters willing to put this down to " banter " or " a childs misinterpretation " or " hearsay "
    My first thought would be my child and other children driven to tears in a classroom of 10 year olds
    Not many 10 year olds will easily cry in front of peers and it would ring alarm bells for me .

I thoroughly agree about the banter. I don't think it has any place in the classroom. Some people like it. I think this teacher should be asked not engage in it.

I thoroughly agree about the banter. I don't think it has any place in the classroom. Some people like it. I think this teacher should be asked not engage in it.

How about not use the word banter. Its not banter.

Maybe ask the teacher can she stop making 10yrs olds cry.

There is parental rumour concerning physical abuse and no record of this abuse and what ensued! That surely sets of all sorts of warning bells. ...

What sets of warning bells is being dismissive of multiple reports of issues.

What banter though ? For all we know it could be deliberate teasing or an effort at control . 10 year olds do not cry at the drop of a hat in a group situation

Not wishing to sound like an expert on ten-year-olds(or any other subject), but given any encouragement at all, that's exactly what they do. And it's in their best interests to deal sensitively with this stage of emotional development, but not to exploit or escalate it.

Not an expert on 10 year old but know many and have looked after many . My experience is 10 year olds will be reluctant in front of peers to cry and will bottle it up and cry at home or when with people they trust .
    I know my own two girls had difficult situations in school ( not with a teacher but with other pupils ) Both would not cry in school but weep at home in my arms
    I am very very reluctant to dismiss any childs worry as " banter "
    I have worked with young girls deeply affected by adults mistreating them . I would never forgive myself as their advocate if I dissmissed their concern

Maybe we need to take a look at the definition of" banter". A general definition is "the playful exchange of quips, wisecracks". This is usually adopted in order to lighten up a stressful situation and is generally regarded as useful in human interaction. Children of this age can become very uptight about many things-friendships, the breakup of friendships, their progress in the class, issues at home. Many have a tendency to become very emotional.In my personal opinion, it is best to leave the "banter"strategy out of the classroom situation, and to take a more straightforward approach. Some children are inclined to take everything literally. The poster needs to address this with the class teacher, saying that talk of infant clothing etc is upsetting the child and asking the teacher not to engage in this practice. I would not refer to other children, just my own. I cannot imagine any teacher taking issue with this.

No we don't. Its not banter.

So, the best approach may be to discard the term "banter" and to simply ask the teacher not to mention baby grows and such, as this is upsetting the child. It's a simple enough request and any teacher/adult should comply. It's a small request.

• Advertisement

Are you intentionally ignoring the rest of the op post.

Teachers to start wearing body cameras to record pupils’ bad behaviour

More than a third of teachers say they would wear a camera in the classroom, but others argue they would feel 'spied upon'

Rachael Pells
    Education Correspondent @rachaelpells
    Wednesday 8 February 2017 12:05
    What about these devices?

Teachers to start wearing body cameras to record pupils’ bad behaviour

More than a third of teachers say they would wear a camera in the classroom, but others argue they would feel 'spied upon'

Rachael Pells
    Education Correspondent @rachaelpells
    Wednesday 8 February 2017 12:05
    What about these devices?

I genuinely don't know how any of this is in any way being helpful to the OP ?
    Why are you trying to turn this thread into something it isn't ? I find it baffling to be honest

OP would love to hear how your daughter is and if you were able to get a good result ?

Garibaldi I think that's a great idea that kids video three teachers. All kids in primary to wear body cams. Great idea.

I think most most people will think it over the top. But you must have had some terrible experiences with your teachers to feel that everyone needs to wear cameras.

Do you not think it very sad that some schools have come to this?

I think parents having a chat with teachers is normal. I don't know why you think it's sad. Have you never talked to your teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Update:. Have acquired some technological help to assess the situation for myself. The other parents have been and talked with her and it has made some minor difference. Thenpoking has stopped. But this is one angry sounding woman. If I was 10 I'd be ****ting myself afraid of her. My child has been telling the truth from what I have found out so far. I await her crossing the line again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

Yikes. Not good. Speak to the teacher as a matter of protocol yourself (to make sure your grievance can be dealt with as efficiently as possible). And then quickly to the principal at the first sign that things haven't improved.

Advertisement