Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

So he's off for the month of August and moving to a one hour show on Radio 1 now that's value for money!

They should have cut him loose when they had the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭CONSI

Radio 1 is a joke...tubridy for 1 hour...Joe Duffy for what an hour and 5 and darcy for 1 and a half...those lads are making money for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 81,031 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

1 hour, holy feck does that make any commerical sense at all when you look at the rival shows on at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭CONSI

1 hour, holy feck does that make any commerical sense at all when you look at the rival shows on at the same time.

When is the last time RTE did anything that made commercial sense....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Darcy condemned to his failing afternoon slot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

"Ryan rejoins the station after five successful years with RTÉ 2fm;"

Q1 2013 - 159,000
    Q2 2013 - 159,000
    Q3 2013 - 152,000
    Q4 2013 - 152,000
    Q1 2014 - 148,000
    Q2 2014 - 144,000
    Q3 2014 - 172,000 (But his show starts at 8:45, which basically gerrymanders the results)
    Q4 2014 - 177,000
    Q1 2015 - 189,000

So, I'll grant you he's been on an upward swing since getting those extra fifteen minutes of prime radio listening time (i.e the time when the vast majority of the radio listening population are in their cars making it in for 9am). However, in the 18 months prior to RTE fiddling the figures, he was in terminal decline. And I didn't go further back than that, but I'd imagine the picture isn't much different in the preceding 3 years.

Five years of success indeed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    "Ryan rejoins the station after five successful years with RTÉ 2fm;"

Q1 2013 - 159,000
    Q2 2013 - 159,000
    Q3 2013 - 152,000
    Q4 2013 - 152,000
    Q1 2014 - 148,000
    Q2 2014 - 144,000
    Q3 2014 - 172,000 (But his show starts at 8:45, which basically gerrymanders the results)
    Q4 2014 - 177,000
    Q1 2015 - 189,000

So, I'll grant you he's been on an upward swing since getting those extra fifteen minutes of prime radio listening time (i.e the time when the vast majority of the radio listening population are in their cars making it in for 9am). However, in the 18 months prior to RTE fiddling the figures, he was in terminal decline. And I didn't go further back than that, but I'd imagine the picture isn't much different in the preceding 3 years.

Five years of success indeed.

Screw it, I went back through his entire time at 2FM.

Q2 2011 - 186,000
    Q3 2011 - 175,000
    Q4 2011 - 176,000
    Q1 2012 - 172,000
    Q2 2012 - 175,000
    Q3 2012 - 175,000
    Q4 2012 - 160,000
    Q1 2013 - 159,000
    Q2 2013 - 159,000
    Q3 2013 - 152,000
    Q4 2013 - 152,000
    Q1 2014 - 148,000
    Q2 2014 - 144,000
    Q4 2014 - 177,000
    Q1 2015 - 189,000
    Q2 2015 - 191,000

So yeah, again, fair play to him for building an audience. An increase of 2k today. But when you consider he was at 186,000 in 2011 (maybe higher immediately after taking over) it's still pretty dismal performance over the years. And his current gains must be tinged with the huge caveat of that extra quarter hour, especially considering his lead in show gained 10k this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

So, Brendan O'Connor's Saturday night show starts to get more viewers than the Late Late Show... O'Conner is axed. Tubridy loses 114,000 of Gerry Ryan's listeners, John Murray sees a much more modest decline in comparsion...Murray gets axed and Tubridy gets his old job back in JNLR bomb proof RTE radio 1. It doesn't really add up somehow. The emperor is stark bollock naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I don't know what Moncrieff earns but he puts in an entertaining 3 hour show every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,977 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Tubridy loses 114,000 of Gerry Ryan's listeners, John Murray sees a much more modest decline in comparsion...Murray gets axed and Tubridy gets his old job back in JNLR bomb proof RTE radio 1. .

Look whoever replaced G Ryan would have lost scads of listeners, I think Tubridy did okay on a station that's not his natural milieu any more, if it ever was. In fact, if RTE really believe Tubridy's their biggest radio name post-PK and he's committed to staying long-term, I think they should have rebuilt the morning schedule around him, move SOR back to 9 and give him 11 to 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

So, they are "extending" the two shows either side? Dear God, more of them three NOT FUNNY clowns, and Nicky Byrne?.....................:(

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭More Music

So, to sum up....

Gerry Ryan goes and dies. 2fm in decline anyway.

They move Tubridy in, make a few tweaks.

He now has more listeners than he did in 2011. Not by much, but it's in the right direction.

Tubs/RTE can't do right by some people no matter what.

jimmyw wrote: »
    So, they are "extending" the two shows either side? Dear God, more of them three NOT FUNNY clowns, and Nicky Byrne?.....................:(

Well, it makes sense really. For at least a year they can claim that the two shows have increased listenership because they'll have expanded timeslots.

By the time Q3 2016 rolls around, they'll all be on a beach in Mexico!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

my friend wrote: »

You won't find many on here with much sympathy for D'arcy and his privileged wife.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Well, it makes sense really. For at least a year they can claim that the two shows have increased listenership because they'll have expanded time slots.

And don't forget Breakfast Republic also increased listenership with a reduced time slot.

my friend wrote: »

7000 gain on Mooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

CONSI wrote:
    Radio 1 is a joke...tubridy for 1 hour...Joe Duffy for what an hour and 5 and darcy for 1 and a half...those lads are making money for nothing

Don't forget Ronan for an hour, the news for 45 minutes. From 6:30 - 16:30 newstalk use 5 presenters, rte radio 1 uses around 8 for the same time period. I'd love to compare the wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Look whoever replaced G Ryan would have lost scads of listeners, I think Tubridy did okay on a station that's not his natural milieu any more, if it ever was. In fact, if RTE really believe Tubridy's their biggest radio name post-PK and he's committed to staying long-term, I think they should have rebuilt the morning schedule around him, move SOR back to 9 and give him 11 to 1.

I'd question your definition of - "did OK". Yes Gerry Ryan was going to be a hard act to follow, but it was glaringly obvious from the off that Tubridy was not the one to do it. Yet it has taken RTE 5 years to act. 5 years and 114,000 listeners.

At one stage he had lost over 50% of G. Ryan's audience. There's no other station, anywhere, where Tubridy would have survived figures like that. Why would RTE believe he's their biggest radio name? There's absolutely no evidence to back it up. His RTE Radio 1 JNLR's weren't a whole lot better than John Murray's are now.

CONSI wrote: »
    ..those lads are making money for nothing

That ain't working, that's the way you do it.
    Money for nothing and your chicks for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,977 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    I'd question your definition of - "did OK". Yes Gerry Ryan was going to be a hard act to follow, but it was glaringly obvious from the off that Tubridy was not the one to do it. Yet it has taken RTE 5 years to act. 5 years and 114,000 listeners.

At one stage he had lost over 50% of G. Ryan's audience. There's no other station, anywhere, where Tubridy would have survived figures like that. Why would RTE believe he's their biggest radio name? There's absolutely no evidence to back it up. His RTE Radio 1 JNLR's weren't a whole lot better than John Murray's are now.

In both cases, lack of other options. I'm sure RTE brass realised bringing Tubridy back to 2FM after G Ryan died was an obvious, uninspired move but concluded they had no-one else with his profile to do the job. We'll see how the listenership of whoever comes into that slot on 2FM compares with Tubridy's.

Why would RTE think Tubridy's their star man? Cos that's what they've been building him up as for the last 15 years. So why not give him two hours and make him the centrepiece of their schedule now, cos surely that's the long-term plan...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I don't think I have read one positive comment on social media this eveing since this annoucement. Henry Sellars II in the making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Well I'm not a frequent radio listener but tubidy was good in the full irish. it worked well when he talked with his co hosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭hawley

He was on Brendan O'Connor this morning talking about visiting Ethiopia as part of a Goal charity programme and BOC tried to get rid of him after three or four minutes by saying "Well, thanks for coming in" and Tubridy came back "Is that all you are giving me". He gave him an extra minute and then cut him off, no love lost there by the sign of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Caught a bit of this 'interview' between Brendan O'Connor and Tubridy this morning - the antipathy between them was amusing and Tubridy seemed slightly affronted at one stage that he was being poked at.

I must admit I had my reservations as a listener when I heard that Brendan O'Connor was taking over a short wile ago but I did listen in betimes and found his style quite appealing after a while - a bit wacky and irreverent. Maybe he knew he had nothing to lose.

I found Tubridy a 'turn off' literally before and I can't see that changing..... just hit the off button.

Are RTE incapable of thinking out this slot a little better - do they listen to their listeners at all? Quite a few people on this forum have suggested they do something quite different with this slot, anything else almost - just to get away from their hackneyed formula of a 'break from the news'...... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

I think it is rather pathetic that RTE have just put tubs back on the exact same slot that he was doing 5 years ago, they could have at least rejigged the schedule a little

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

CONSI wrote: »

Well over a million a year!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

hawley wrote: »
    He was on Brendan O'Connor this morning talking about visiting Ethiopia as part of a Goal charity programme and BOC tried to get rid of him after three or four minutes by saying "Well, thanks for coming in" and Tubridy came back "Is that all you are giving me". He gave him an extra minute and then cut him off, no love lost there by the sign of things.

The Ethiopians will be concerned for Tubs welfare, his rake/weed physique will trigger haunting memories of bad days past

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

What hold has this man and his clan over Rte that he can move around stations willy nilly as if he's indispensable ? , in a real commercial sector he'd have been dumped a long time ago , His shows are rubbish ! , how long will it take for Rte to face facts , there seems to be no accountability to the licence fee payer in that organisation atall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I'd say it's difficult for RTE to dump Tubridy because they need him on the radio for the RTE Late Late brand and all that.

Tubridy back to the granny slot which suits him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Tubridy back to the granny slot which suits him.

Less of the ageist sneering if you don't mind there poster.

You'd have found RTE radio 1 draws listeners from all age groups if you bothered to check before you insultingly generalised.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement