Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Common names for Doloras are Lola and Lolita. In this case her first name was Lola.
    She scandalised the highbrows of the era when she performed her "Spider dance" on stage and (untrue) rumors claimed she wore no undergarments.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Thanks OG sadly I don't have a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Even though I now know who it is, I keep thinking of Zola Budd! Daft, I know, but there you are, daftness sets in whilst waiting for someone to get the answer. Anyway, how does OG know this female did or did not wear undergarments?

Anyway, how does OG know this female did or did not wear undergarments?
    I know someone who did extensive research of her life when writing a stage play. :)

Anyway, just to end this, the stage name of Marie Dolores Eliza Rosanna Gilbert was "Lola Montez". Her life story is fascinating and has been the subject of film, book and stage not to mention the history books of Bavaria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lola_Montez

To keep the quiz thing going: What is a maulstick?

A stick for mauling people you don't like. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

OldGoat wrote: »
    What is a maulstick?

I think this is what the local sign-writer used to call his "málastick" because it had a soft "bag" at one end. He used it to keep his hand steady.

The "bag" end rested on the work surface, the painter's wrist rested on the stick and the shaft or other end of the stick rested on his neck or shoulder. He told us that the mála was either full of sweets (if we were quiet) or wasps (if we were annoying him).

Recently, I was painting the name of my boat onto the transom (back of the boat) and wished I had a maulstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes! I haven't checked but I know that is right BB. I could see it, the stick with something on the end of it, but I could not figure what it was.

Spot on Brenz. It give yu something to lean on without smudging your work.
    55686-1001-art-3ww-l.jpg

Spot on Brenz. It give yu something to lean on without smudging your work.

OK.

A singing duo, calling themselves Tom & Jerry, had minor success in late 1950's America. Later, after disbanding and reuniting under a different name, they achieved worldwide fame. Who were they?

Simon and Carabunkle! I'm sure I'm right!

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Simon and Carabunkle! I'm sure I'm right!

Exactamente. Well Done - I thought it would have taken longer.

However, I find that any disappointment pales into insignificance because I've just heard that grandchild No. 2 is on it's way, hey hey hey, hey hey hey.

Congratulations granddad! Happy days!

Here's the next question:

Krishna Pandit Bhanji was born in 1943 in England. His father was from Indian descent and his mother was British. Krishna became an award winning actor and was knighted in 2002. What is his stage name?

Complete guess but the best actor of Indian descent, with a "Sir" that I can think of is Ben Kingsley. Thought he was good until I saw him in Sexy Beast playing a genuinely evil, sadistic baddie with flashes of comic dialogue. He was so convincing that I forgot all about Gandhi.

Correct! Your turn.

Correct! Your turn.

OK. Here's maybe a cult question:

In the 60's, ITV / UTV aired a series of public information cartoon fillums, featuring a rather rotund "Petunia" and her partner, from 'tNawth uv Inglund. My favourite showed them on a beach, watching someone in a "sehlin' dinjeh" (sailing dinghy). "Ooooh luke, Petchoonya, 'e's wehvin' at us." when, in fact, he had capsized and was calling for help.

What was Petchoonia's I mean Petunia's partner's name?

Marigold?
    Lily?
    Daisy?
    Rose?
    Ivy?
    Chrysanthemum?

Harold?

Marigold?
    Lily?
    Daisy?
    Rose?
    Ivy?
    Chrysanthemum?

Maybe yiz need a hint: Petunia's partner was male!

Donald Duck?

Well, if the answer is on the tip of your tongue but you need more time, no probs.

But I hate to see yiz in pain so here's a link, purely for medicinal purposes. No peeking and then claiming to remember the answer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBc02FPSvXc

• Advertisement

That's new to me actually!

That's new to me actually!

You peeked?!?!?

Petunia and "X" were shown on a recent nostalgia show and FaceBook lit up. But maybe too obscure for those who had a sheltered childhood.

Will I tell yiz? Huh? Well, will I? Whoh? Or will you share the answer with Os&Os and set the next question?

I do remember it but as you have posted a spoiler I will not respond to Petunia's OH's name

OK, if nobody wants to reveal "Joe", I'll do it. It was "Joe"!

Do I get to set another question:

What's a Stanley Steamer?
    It was sung about in 1948 in "Summer Holiday" (not the Cliff Richard version) and made a cameo appearance in "Seabiscuit".

Some class of a boat?

A steam powered car (I think it was American)

Who was the father of Icarus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Hooray one I know. It's a car:)

One of which drove to the top of Mount Washington the highest peak in New England. Myself and the Rooster did the same drive (obviously in a far more comfortable car, many years later).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Blast Rubes you beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

Rubecula wrote:
    Who was the father of Icarus?

Can anyone join? Daedalus

• Advertisement

Layinghen wrote: »
    Blast Rubes you beat me to it.

awww so sorry hon :D
    ladyella wrote: »
    Can anyone join? Daedalus

that's right your turn to ask one now :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement