Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    This is definitely the Packers biggest game of the season so far and will give a clear indication of just how realistic a second Superbowl win is.

Our defense has been very iffy - ranking a miserable 31st against the pass. This week they face a quality pass offense and if Rivers and the Chargers get hot they could have a field day picking off big plays against the secondary.

The Packers defense really has to draw a line in the sand this week and show that it can recapture its play-off form from last season. Hopefully after the bye weeks rest we will finally see a fully-fit and reinvigorated Woodson, Williams and Shields all back at their best.

Otherwise this could be one QB shoot-out too many that Rodgers can keep pace with.

I'd go along with that.
    SD have the defence to trouble greatly unless he has terrific protection.
    I expect a few Sacks on Rogers.

Having said that... If we do win.... did anyone say undefeated season?? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'd go along with that.
    SD have the defence to trouble greatly unless he has terrific protection.
    I expect a few Sacks on Rogers.

Having said that... If we do win.... did anyone say undefeated season?? :o

It would be halfway if the Packers win tonight. There's still Thanksgiving. They scored 3 pts in Detroit last year. I'll think about a perfect season if they reach the play-offs undefeated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 BillN

Definitly a great game, but it was close. Pack defense was lit up on a couple of drives, but the offense just couldn't be stopped. I am feeling better and better about this year. Just a few challenging games left for them. The rest of the schedule seems somewhat easy. I think IMHO that the Lions will fade in the second half of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

BillN wrote: »
    Definitly a great game, but it was close. Pack defense was lit up on a couple of drives, but the offense just couldn't be stopped. I am feeling better and better about this year. Just a few challenging games left for them. The rest of the schedule seems somewhat easy. I think IMHO that the Lions will fade in the second half of the season.

It was a win and an exciting game for the neutral other than that a lot of work to do on defense.

Leading 45-24 late in the game and once again, once again, they cannot put the thing away!!!

The Bolts could have easily won that game but for an awesome offense from the Pack.

It was only late in the 4th that the Packers D actually put some pressure on Rivers that they actually got somewhere.

Up to then, Rivers was as untouched as a postulants inner thigh!!!

You cannot let a QB of Rivers' standard step up and spray the ball around.

I know they got two pick from it but Capers in my book needs to stiffen up the D and put more pressure on the QB.

Can't be depending on the arm of Rogers for everything.

Work to do , a lot of work.... Chargers should have been dead and buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Capers is dialing up the blitz. The problem is that it's being picked up two easily and not to mention that our main pass rusher can't even make headway this year. Not to mention we are getting burnt on these all out blitz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Stev_o wrote: »
    Capers is dialing up the blitz. The problem is that it's being picked up two easily and not to mention that our main pass rusher can't even make headway this year. Not to mention we are getting burnt on these all out blitz.

Probably because he is doubled and tripled, which should lead a few other dudes free surely.

Need to hurry the QB, can't let these lads look around step up and throw..no way.

Rogers was sacked about 4-5 times.

Capers needs to get his act together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 BillN

Just a question: Do you all get together with other Packer fans in your area to watch the game? Here in Maryland there is a bar about 20 miles from me where Packer fans congregate on game day. That is about it. Not many Packer fans here in the area, mostly Redskins and Raven fans. I always wondered that about american football fans in other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Using a blitz on 3/4rs of our D is gonna tear the legs outta the rushers and wear them down with another 8 games to go can't rely on this gotta mix it up more, with plenty more midfield coverage. Rivers ate up the midfield with well timed plays to Gates, predictable but worked everytime!

Hey BillN, not much of a 'meetup' vibe over except for special occasions i.e season openers, playoffs, SB, moreso in houses of friends I'ld image. But also with the time difference over here not many people are willing to trek in Dublin City centre fro a few drinks if they have work on the Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Just a question: Do you all get together with other Packer fans in your area to watch the game? Here in Maryland there is a bar about 20 miles from me where Packer fans congregate on game day. That is about it. Not many Packer fans here in the area, mostly Redskins and Raven fans. I always wondered that about american football fans in other countries
    A dirty Giants fan comes over to mine and we watch the games. Least she brings beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

Greetings Boards Packer fans - hope all is well. Been a little while since I checked in. Season going well so far, but certainly we're missing Collins and Jenkins. Can we continue to have the Offense carry the load? We'll see.

A little off-topic: I don't know if it's been discussed here yet, but it looks like the Packers are going to be offering a Packers stock sale, as early as next week. 1997 was the last time Packers stock was offered. It looks like it will be priced around $250 a share. It's really just a ceremonial purchase (no real ownership rights), but it's amazing how many folks around here have their Packer Stock Certificate framed and hanging on their wall. Maybe an (expensive) Christmas present for that special Packer fan in your life....

http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/09/news/companies/packers_stock/

The Pack is really riding a wave...besides the fast start, the local news just mentioned the Packers are now leading the NFL in team apparel sales on the official NFLShop.com. The top-selling individual jersey on the site is Aaron Rodger's #12.

We could be in for a bit of a rough patch coming up: 3 games in 12 days. Really looking forward to the Thanksgiving Day game in Detroit.

Enjoy the ride. If anyone is planning on getting over for a game in Lambeau, let me know.

• Advertisement

Cool!

I know its technically money down the drain and the frame will be worth a lot more, but I'd still buy a share.

It will be a tough "Turkey Bowl" this year.

Last time I was in Milwaukee for Thanksgiving I remember Mr D. Driver getting a little turkey trophy for being man of the match.
    He seemed quite pleased! :D

Just a question: Do you all get together with other Packer fans in your area to watch the game?

Might be the only Packer fan in Kerry myself!

Presume there are others, but locating them isn't easy.

Watch the odd game with other football fans in the pub, but prefer to watch Packer games at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Might be the only Packer fan in Kerry myself!

Presume there are others, but locating them isn't easy.

Watch the odd game with other football fans in the pub, but prefer to watch Packer games at home.

Well I'm in Clare, so there are 2 Packers fans in the west ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Btw, all packers fans should check out the podcast Aaron Rodgers does with ESPN every week. Just look up Aaron Rodgers or Tuesdays with Aaron and you should find it.
    He talks about plays each week in a lot of detail and generally just comes across as an all round humble decent guy.

I watched the condensed ESPN coverage last night of the Vikings game.

I'm far from an expert, but I wonder whats the deal with the offensive line, ie: the 5 fat guys blocking the vikings trying to get to Rogers.
    They seemed to collapse all to easily, when they were strong and rogers had a good pocket to work from we were imperious.
    However they let too many tackles through, especially from the Vikings line-backer (with the handlebar moustache).

Will this be a worry when it comes to play-offs?

Chicago, 49rs & Giants could cause issues there.

I'm far from an expert, but I wonder whats the deal with the offensive line, ie: the 5 fat guys blocking the vikings trying to get to Rogers.
    They seemed to collapse all to easily, when they were strong and rogers had a good pocket to work from we were imperious.
    However they let too many tackles through, especially from the Vikings line-backer (with the handlebar moustache).

Jarred Allen?? Sacked Rogers twice and caused a sack another time, that was pretty much all they did all game apart from when rogers went to scramble instead of going for the short gain, prob got to him 6 times total in game, 3 times for the loss and we only punted 1-2 times, pretty strong showing from the D, was a step up from what they've been at lately.

I reckon only a team with an elite Qb and an elite RB will touch us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Johnny Jolly has been sentenced to 6 years in jail. Pretty ridiculous sentence tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Cam Newton wrote: »
    Johnny Jolly has been sentenced to 6 years in jail. Pretty ridiculous sentence tbh.

Aaron Rodgers, on the podcast I mentioned above, was very critical of how the NFL handled his case banning him from all team facillities. He said if Jolly had been allowed he would have had a much better chance of recovery.

It's a big shame what's happened to him. He was a good player. I can sadly imagine reading about his tragic early death through suicide, overdose etc in the next 10 years. From what I gather football was his life. Without it he has a tough road ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

This is a stat I pulled before last nights game for the first 3 seasons.

Rodgers has thrown only 13, 7 and 11 int. Sacked 34, 51 and 38 times his first three seasons.

This shows that with his playing calling he is willing to be more patient, be more selective of when he throws. This increases the the seconds the OL have to hold off tackles, therefore increasing the percentages the tackler will get around them to pressure Rodgers. Its something the that he has to deal with and the Linemen have to deal with, its a catch 22; the more patient he is the more pressure he brings on himself.
    I think him and Big Ben have similar attitude with the big plays, they are willing to take the hits, to make the big plays, they get straight back up, dust themselves off and these are the guys that are gonna make the big plays when it matters.

The pass to Jordy Nelson was a prime example of the above, Rodgers waited, he took his time, learned form the INT and let loose at a pivotal moment in the game to get more points on the board.

Also much kudos to Nelson this year has taken a huge amount of clutch passes. Never seems phased.

Listening to the disappointment and frustration from Rodgers after the Bucs game it could almost be chalked down as being as significant as a loss.

To expect the Pack to keep bringing out their A game, week after week, is unreasonable and a sub-standard performance was just waiting to happen. Perhaps fortuitously that dip in performance has come at Lambeau against a good but by no means great Bucs team.

McCarthy wont need to use this performance as a motivational tool, as the players know they dodged the bullet on this one and have to get straight back to their awesome best for the trip to the Lions on Thursday.

Bring it on:D

• Advertisement

I see the Packer organisation are currently keeping a lid on the arrest of Eric Walden. It is expected that he will to make a court appearance today to be charged with the felony battery of his live-in girlfriend.

It is probable that the Packers will suspend him while this on-going and if he is found guilty no-doubt they will terminate his contract (strong similarities to the Brandon Underwood situation).

If it is correct, it a very sad situation - primarily for his victim, but also for him to throw away what was developing into a very productive and successful career as an OLB.:mad:

As for the Packers, hopefully:rolleyes:, Frank Zombo will be able to stay healthy and it may also create an opportunity for rookie Vic So'oto to shine

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    I see the Packer organisation are currently keeping a lid on the arrest of Eric Walden. It is expected that he will to make a court appearance today to be charged with the felony battery of his live-in girlfriend.

It seems the girlfriend's story may be changing or have been misinterpreted:

Latest

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I see Aaron Rodgers has won his third straight "Offensive Player of the Month" award. If he keeps up this form through November he'll have the MVP won by a distance.

Rodgers duly wins his fourth straight NFC Offensive Player of the Month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

I'd say if Rodgers doesn't take another regular season snap he'll still be MVP by some distance.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    It seems the girlfriend's story may be changing or have been misinterpreted:

Latest

Hmmmmmmm.

Rich sports star's gf changes story and claims she was at fault for the physical fight that ended up with her getting a head wound...

He is of course innocent until proven guilty... But have to admit I don't like the sound if that...

Hmmmmmmm.

Rich sports star's gf changes story and claims she was at fault for the physical fight that ended up with her getting a head wound...

He is of course innocent until proven guilty... But have to admit I don't like the sound if that...
    tbh i hate the way it's assumed just cos he's big he started it. I know plenty of women that'll gladly hit much bigger guys because the guys won't hit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

All he may have done is put out a arm in defense and it knocked her over...he's a big guy like!

Oh true.

We don't know what happened. Yet.

And women can attack men.

But she ended up with stitches to her head. Whoever started it, that's not pleasant. Maybe someone could sit down with the powerful athlete and explain evasion techniques, like walking away. There are battered partners out there, surely it's rare enough that the victim leaves the assailant needing stitches though.

Oh true.

We don't know what happened. Yet.

And women can attack men.

But she ended up with stitches to her head. Whoever started it, that's not pleasant. Maybe someone could sit down with the powerful athlete and explain evasion techniques, like walking away. There are battered partners out there, surely it's rare enough that the victim leaves the assailant needing stitches though.
    She could of been hitting him away simple easy push to get her away, she trips hits head off something. Not as straight forward as you think.

I know a guy, got hit about 5 times in the face, hit back once, knocked yer man clean out, the attacker ended up in hospital for a few days.

Things aren't always black and white

• Advertisement

Arawn wrote: »
    She could of been hitting him away simple easy push to get her away, she trips hits head off something. Not as straight forward as you think.

I know a guy, got hit about 5 times in the face, hit back once, knocked yer man clean out, the attacker ended up in hospital for a few days.

Things aren't always black and white

True.

Or he could have punched her so hard that she needed stitches. You have to concede that in all of this that is at least possible.

All we know for a fact is that she ended up injured. Yes it might have been an unfortunate accident.

Advertisement