Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beasty's 2011 assault on the vets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Excellent. Time for some 2 min intervals :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

3 evening sessions and an hour on the track added up to 112km this week, bringing the YTD to 1,756km at 28kph.

Racing is expected to commence in a couple of weeks with the vets league - the first race is a DMS - it's billed at 60km, so I'm guessing it will be nearer 45km!

I'll be away on a couple of occasions next week, and should get one track session in. I'll be trying to get out on the other evenings during the week. Hopefully I'll manage to get a couple of hundred km in, and will then ease off a bit for the week before the first race

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Champions League football returned to Old Trafford this evening, which meant I had an hour booked on the track this lunchtime

The day did not start well - I was just after 4 o'clock this morning to discover a back twinge from yesterday's spin had turned into a full-grown back spasm. Lumping my gear across a couple of airports did not help matters.

Anyway, a couple of ibuprofen and a few stretches/exercises and I was ready to go at noon. Tuesday is normally dominated by a group of pensioners, and today was no exception, with me being the youngest on the track.

I started off reasonably strongly, counting the laps as I went along. I was overtaking everyone on the track, until the 4 strongest riders formed a group - they were pretty much opposite me on the track, and the next 40 laps or so turned into a pursuit - they were on the red line, and me on the blue, which meant I was putting an extra 5% or so into each lap. They started catching me a bit, so I pushed harder. Then one of them dropped off for a break, then another until there were just two of them. I managed to hold them off, and the final 2 then dropped off the track, leaving me to continue, albeit at a slightly reduced pace given there was no longer a chase on.

I continued for another 50 laps or so, and the other were back on the track - again a foursome, but again they dropped off one by one. Eventually only one remained - the fastest (aged 69), and we did a couple of laps of line-lapping - the break this provided rejuvinated me and I sped up again, as he dropped back down to the red line

Laps 101, 102, 103 ticked over, and then I pulled alongside the fast rider again - we had a quick chat then, drat, I lost count! A bit of guesswork and I was back in the routine for the rest of the session. In the end I did around 144 laps, which equated to just under 38km given the line I was taking, in 59 minutes (including speeding up and slowing down laps). When I got off the track I could barely walk. I spoke to the guys and they confirmed they had been lapping at around 24mph, which means I must have been doing around 40kph for a lot of the session, and an overall speed of 39 kph

I now need to get my own bike over, with the new wheels, to give it a go, and hopefully crack the 40km - bring on the quarter-final;)

197km this week - my back continued playing up, although it's not as bad now as it was at the start of the week, and I managed to hit a new power peak of 1,174w tonight, with another 4 1,100w+ surges

YTD total now stands at 1,952km at 28kph

I hope to do my first race of the season next Sunday, so will aim at another couple of evening sessions early in the week, before easing off towards the end of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

oh gosh, here comes the big guns ....

what category do u race Beasty ?

• Advertisement

michael196 wrote: »
    oh gosh, here comes the big guns ....
    - err... not quite - I've never gained any points other than those they give for turning up
    michael196 wrote: »
    what category do u race Beasty ?
    - the slow one

It's the vets races I am talking about - there's a DMS next week and I expect to be in the middle of 3 races (there are 6 vets categories, and based on last year I should be in the 4th (ie 3rd slowest)

180km this week, including 50km in today's vets race. YTD now stands at 2,132km at 28.1kph

As mentioned in my race report the back was playing up a bit today, although I also probably did not give myself enough recovery time following a hard session on Thursday evening.

I still need to get a bit smarter during races, and avoid staying too near the back of the bunch, as it's probably the catching back up out of the corners where I end up putting the extra effort in. My power stats today were not too bad given the state of my back, and related sciatica.

Next week will probably include a couple of commutes and maybe a couple of evening sessions

4 commutes and a couple of evening sessions this week resulted in 243km (my longest weekly distance of the year to date) at 27.5kph. Given the windy conditions, I'm not too unhappy with the average, and my YTD total now stands at 2,375km at 28kph

I managed to improve my 5 minute Power from 359w to 386w (normalised 389w) this evening, which means I have now improved pretty much all intervals up to about 6 minutes over the winter. I have improved longer intervals on a normalised basis also, although I am hoping absolute improvements come along when I start doing some TTs (my existing PBs have been set during TTs)

Tonight's power/CP curve:

cp030411.jpg?t=1301869395

Subject to the back problems it feels like everything is starting to come together for the new season (I know, famous last words....)

The back spasm has settled down a bit, although I am still feeling the sciatica in one leg - in theory this will diminish power output, but I suspect in my case it does not make much difference.

Looks like I won't be racing next week due to family commitmemnts, which means my next race will be the start of the Swords League a week on Wednesday, with a 5 and a half minute or so uphill TT;)

In the meantime, I'll be looking to get a bit more distance in ths sweek with a few commutes and perhaps another couple of evening sessions

4 commutes and an evening session resulted in 210km at 29.6kph this week, bringing the YTD total to 2,586km at 28.1kph.

Training has been focussed on the start of the Swords League next week - a 1.81km hill climb on Wednesday. Last year (in my first ever "race") I managed to do this in 5 minutes 22 seconds. With temperatures rising and winds abated I've got myself and the bike in "race trim", and set about giving the hill a go last night.

I reckon every kg of weight I can lose will save me 2 seconds on the course (4.5% average slope). Every 2 watts of extra power saves a second or so. Hence I stripped the bike to the bare minimum (except for my prefernce for multiple computers on the bars) and installed the new wheels. Overall the combination of bike and rider is perhaps 3-4kg lighter than last year. Power output is up about 20 watts, and the only other factor is the wind.

In terms of gearing, last year I used an 11-27. I've done the hill a few times out of the saddle for the most part in recent weeks, on the 23. So now, to avoid temptation, I've installed an 11-23.

So how did I perform? I'm not telling. It can wait until after Wednesday:p

Hey Mr Power Meters Man....

You might find this interesting. I came across it whilst wondering about TSS, BikeScore and Daniels Points.

There's a bit of geek-handbags-at-dawn which adds a bit of human interest :D

Upshot: I might start using DanielsPoints to track training load, because it deals with imperfect (i.e. Garmin) data better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mc2000

Hey Beasty don't forget about the Vets and your assault thereon! Expect to see you there next Sunday in Batterstown, it's a CP, go on you'll love it!

Never mind those just-over-a-mile hilly time trials [i'm marshalling that one] - good to hear your back seems to have settled down, so get yerself back out on the road racing:pac:

mc2000 wrote: »
    Hey Beasty don't forget about the Vets and your assault thereon! Expect to see you there next Sunday in Batterstown, it's a CP, go on you'll love it!

Never mind those just-over-a-mile hilly time trials [i'm marshalling that one] - good to hear your back seems to have settled down, so get yerself back out on the road racing:pac:
    Assault is aimed at the TT/Midweek Leagues!

Sundays remain difficult because of family commitments (and the prospect of another European Cup final, with ticket already secured, although Dirk may be seeking that out after tonight:eek:). The family are away over Easter though

This Sunday is dependent on the FA Cup Semi Final. If we beat them in normal time with a bit of luck I should be home in the evening, and hopefully racing on Sunday. If it goes to extra time (I know it's City we are playing, but you can't rule it out), it will be the first flight back on Sunday (both options are booked ;))

Back spasm has calmed down, but the sciatica remains, so I have not yet run out of excuses

Firstly the stats from Wednesday's "event"

Total time 5m 18s (v 5m 22s last year, when the course was about 20m shorter, we had a bit of a tailwind, and there was no mud on the rosd)

Average Power - 376w (362w)
    Maximum power - 800w (605w) - I actually took it a bit easier setting off second time after the chain broke on my first attempt
    Cadence - 72 (77) - gearing was all to pot on the spare bike - I have been averaging around 68 on recent attempts when I have been pushing it out of the saddle, but the mud made this impossible thie time
    Heart Rate - Average 167 (163), max 173 (171) - I was certainly better warmed up this time;)

I'll probably give it another go soon, in more "stable" conditions

So today it moved onto Batterstown for an 80k (actually 64km) CP (unlike last time when the billed 60km turned into 65km). The whether was great, if a little chilly at 9.15 this morning.

2 laps of the circuit, incorporating Dorey's Forge. The first group had 8 minutes over the second, who in turn had 4 minutes over us, with subsequent groups starting at 4 minute intevals

We had a large group, and everything ran fairly smoothly for the first lap. Then we caught the first two groups, and were caught by the 4th group, resulting in a very large group of probably 100+, which made it a bit hairy at times

I decided to stay reasonably well advanced which worked to my advantage second time up Dorey's Forge when the group split. I was actually finding it relatively easy going and managed to maintain my position.

After the final corner it was a mad dash to the line. I did not appreciate how quickly it was coming up, and still had plenty in me when we went through it.

Stats:
    Distance 63.67km
    Speed - 36.4kph (average), 57.1kph (max)
    Power - 228w (average), 242w (pedalling), 266w (normalised), 976w (max)
    Work - 1,337kJ
    Heart rate - 151 (average), 182 (max)
    Cadence - 83

Tactically I fared much better in this race than in previous ones. It was the easiest I have found any race, and my main error was not getting myself positioned for the final sprint

So after Wednesday's escapade on the Swords Hill climb I had to use the spare bike on Thursday's commute. I've not used it that much, and it's almost as new.

On the way home, heading up the hill, out of the saddle - crunch then crash, as I hit the deck for the second time in 24 hours. The plaster on my knee come off, and I end up with cuts on top of cuts. Indeed the damage was quite a bit worse than that suffered on Wednesday - and it was the chain again - it had kinked at the joining pin, and came off the big ring. The chain was almost new, and I guess the pin was not properly engaged.

This prompted me to go and retrieve the damaged chain from Wednesday - again it was just about a month old and had only done about a thousand km or so, That one had snapped at a normal link. When I restarted the hill climb on Wednesday I took it a bit gingerly, but still hit 800w, and I suspect I was pushing out quite a bit more on the ill-fated attempt.

Anyway, there were no further dramas in today's vets race. It was so relatively easy I decided to go out and give Ardgillan another go tonight. The weather was similar to Wednesday, but fortunately there was no wet mud on the road this time

I clocked 5m 18s, which is identical to my time on Wednesday. Bearing in mind this was after this morning's race, I am hopeful there is more in me, and at some stage I would like to break 5 minutes for the climb. Power was slightly down (366w versus 376w), but interestingly normalised power was only 3w higher, whereas on Wednesday it was about 18w higher, perhaps highlighting the more stop and start nature of that attempt given road conditions, and the gearing problems I had

This week's total distance 160km, bringing the YTD total to 2,746km at 28.2kph

Next week will hopefully see races in the Swords League on Wednesday and the vets on Sunday

This week saw the Swords League race on Wednesday and Vets DMS today, plus a recce of the Bog of the Ring course in advance of next Wednesday's Swords League race

Total distance was only 135km, but it was pretty intense with normalised power averaging over 260w, and average speed of 32.6km to bring the YTD total to 2,881km at 28.4kph

That will probably be the end of the Sunday racing until the school summer holidays, as family commitments return. The vets midweek league kicks off a week on Tuesday with a 10mTT, which will give me chance to try out the new wheels. I need to get out on the TT bike though, as the only times it has been out previously was for the boards 10mTT last August and a short spin to try out the new wheels a few weeks ago.

I'm away on Tuesday, so may go for a shortish recovery spin tomorrow night, before the Swords League race on Wednesday

Race report from last night here

Now for the stats:

Average speed - 36.1kph
    Power - average 254w, pedalling 271w, normalised, 283w max 883w
    HR - average 166, max 181
    Cadence - average 85, pedalling 89

It was exactly a minute slower than my fastest time last year on this course, when I averaged 37 kph in a much larger Group 2 (that was never caught - it was towards the end of the season when everyone was quite fit and taking their turns at the front)

Last night I was averaging about 37kph (293w normalised power) before we were eventually obliterated by scratch, and I was spending quite a lot of time on the front. Interestingly last year my overall average cadence was 78, but when I was pedalling it was 96, a difference of nearly 30%, whereas last night the difference was less than 5%, which highlights how much more time I was spending leading the group or on my own. I think the wind must have been worse last year as my normalised power was also 283w, with an average of 248w and pedalling 280w.

If the pace had been a bit steadier when we were caught I may have hung on, but as it was the second half of the final lap turned into a bit of a TT, which I guess is good preparation for the first vets TT of the year - a 10-miler next Tuesday

Here's the power curve from last night:

bog270411.jpg?t=1304030105

The Swords League race on Wednesday, a commute on Friday and 3 short evening sessions resulted in a total of 148km this week at an average of 29.9kph. This brings the YTD total to 3,030km at 28.4kph.

The vets TT league kicks off on Tuesday with a 10 miler on the Black Bull Course at Batterstown. I've done 4 10m TTs previously, two of which were on this course. I did the first one in last years vets league in 25m 6s which will be my handicap time for Tuesday. I also did the Boards 10m TT last August in 24m 49s.

To date I have improved my time every time I have attempted 10 miles, and this time I'll have the new wheels. Forecast is for it to be a bit windy (and in particular a head-wind on the way back), so I tried the TT setup last night in quite windy conditions - the good news is I was not blown off!

I'll be pleased with anything which improves my handicap, assuming the wind is not too bad.

I'm prioritising the Champions League semi-final this week, so will be giving the Swords League race on Wednesday a miss - this means I also miss out on 3 ascents of Ardcath:D. I should get an hour on the track on Thursday, and will be trying to get out a couple of times over the weekend.

Tonight saw the start of the vets TT and midweek league, with a 10-miler on the Black Bull course

The TT League is one of my main focuses for the year, so I guess this is where it starts getting serious

Over 40 in total taking part, and I was number 10 off. There was an easterly wind which would be hampering the return, but should have assisted the first half.

I set the Garmin to lap every 4km, and tracked my average power in each 4km (approximately 1/4 distance) segment. I was expecting the 3rd quarter, with headwind and slight incline (13m climbing) to be hardest

I set off at my allotted time, and found myself putting out nearly 300w for the most of the first quarter, but was averaging 39.5kph. I was expecting to be slowed down in the second half, so was slightly disappointed to not be cracking the 40kph mark, as it did feel as if I was working very hard. The computer beeped and I glanced down to see a time of 6m 4s. The next quarter I kept up the same speed, but my average power was down to 265w - I felt reasonably comfortable, and wanted to save up something for the return into the headwind.

The computer beeped again exactly half way round the roundabout, and I set off on my return journey. I felt like I was pushing only slightly harder, but maintaining my lap speed at 39.5kph. Although my main aim was to beat handicap (25m 6s), I was hoping to go as fast as 24m 30s, and if I could keep this speed up I would just about do it.

Into the final quarter and I was still on target for 24m 30s. As I went through Batterstown I was thinking I would just about get there. Just before the end I finally had another rider in my sights - my 6 minute man (admitedly he is over 25 years older than me!), and I rolled in just after him

My time - 24m 25s, a 2.75% improvement on handicap and 24s faster than my previous best time in the Boards TT last August. I feel there is more to come, particularly in more benign conditions.

Now for the interesting bit - my pacing. I had no intention of doing this, but my splits for the 4 x 4km segments were:

6:04:36
    6:05:00

ie I hit exactly the same time, to a hundredth of a second, in 3 of the segments, and was less than 2/3 of a second faster in the other! I thought there must have been a mistake when I saw the lap times, but they do add up (together with another 6s or so for the final bit) to my total time for the ride.

Power output was 267w average, 273w normalised, 446w max
    Splits - 292w, 264w, 267w, 249w
    Cadence average - 95, which is very high for me, and perhaps reflects the better shifting available with the bar-end shifters

Hopefully I'll be back for another crack on the same course next Tuesday, with again my main aim being to improve handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Is this the same route as the Batterstown 25m TT? But just out to the firt roundabout and back?

Beasty wrote: »

Cyborg!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

mloc123 wrote: »
    Is this the same route as the Batterstown 25m TT? But just out to the firt roundabout and back?

Yes, thats it except that the 25 start/finish is a few hundred meters up the road at the derelict house on the left.

Beasty: Well done on that one. I went off at 24 mins and I thought the wind had dropped to little or nothing by then.
    24:32 for me (18 seconds down on last years best) and I think there is room for improvement there for both of us if you consider it was the first one of the year and the air was much colder last night than later on in the year. Good air can make a big difference.

PS: Im not doing the results for this one but I thought I saw 23: something for you on the sheet ???. I was half cooked at the time though.

Definitely 24m 25s. I checked with Donal myself. The guy after me was in the 23m zone though.

NB. I'm immune to the cold (although admittedly did not get much of a sweat up last night)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

how does it compare to the CP curve? What was your best power for 24" 25'?

morana wrote: »
    how does it compare to the CP curve? What was your best power for 24" 25'?
    I was going to do another post about that

I did the boards TT on the same course last year at about 15w higher. My best, which was on the previous vets TT on the same course, is 286w, and the CP curve is at 289w. Each watt is worth getting on for 2 seconds over that course. I really wasn't pushing it in the last quarter last night, and had something left in the previous two.

The main difference is the wheels, as I was over 20s slower in the boards TT in what were probably more benign conditions

However I still have a couple of minor aero improvements up my sleeve, and I reckon I can put out at least 20 watts more this year than last

Second

Can't complain - highest ever placing in any race (in my life, bike or otherwise), and first time on the podium (I know it's handicapped, so not a "real" second;))

Anyway, that should also put me second in both the TT and midweek leagues:D

Just need to find another 30 seconds or so for next week now...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Well done.

..........30 secs. is a big ask, hope you do, but when you start improving that much over last years times, I, anyway, last year, was knocking seconds off TT times. Only seconds. Sorrento 24:03, Vets 24:06 and eventually, Sorrento 23:57 (all approx except last one :) )
    Came down from 28's to 26's and down to 24's and then the rot sets in. Actually, never did a 25, in about 4 years of racing now. Funny that.

Planet X wrote: »
    Well done.

..........30 secs. is a big ask,
    It's heavily dependent on the weather, but having looked at previous years results I reckon 30s, which is around 2% of handicap, is what you need to get placed in these races. (although that would not have been enough in the last 10mTT of last year)

I don't yet have handicaps for the 25m and 50m TTs, so will be heavily dependent on the 10 milers for any points I do get (and it will clearly get harder if I do improve my handicap)

In fact, lousy weather with everyone coming in at over handicap is probably the most efficient way to accumulate points if there is any slack left

I’ve now done the Black Bull 10m TT on 3 occasions – the first time on the road bike with Aerobars, on then on the TT bike with normal wheels, and finally on Tuesday with Aero wheels (deep rim on the front, disk on the back). I guess I can now have a stab at how much difference the bike and wheels make.

Obviously conditions were not identical across all 3 rides, but in all cases they were reasonable, neither calm, nor were there strong winds. Hence I don’t think conditions will distort the position much. I had a skinsuit and aero helmet on all 3 attempts.

First the raw data
    1st attempt (vets, 03/08/10) – time 25:06 (38.5kph), Average power 286w (highest recorded for this time interval)
    2nd attempt (Boards TT, 31/08/10) – time 24:49 (38.9kph), Average power 277w
    3rd attempt (vets, 03/05/11) – time 24:25 (39.5kph), Average power 267w

As a result of playing around with the bike calculator, I reckon, over this distance, every watt is worth about 2 seconds

On this basis, using my first attempt as the benchmark:
    2nd attempt – 17s faster, 9w (equivalent to 18s or so) lower – overall impact of the bike, 35s improvement, or 0.9kph
    3rd attempt – 41s faster, 19w (38s) lower – overall impact 79s improvement, or 2.2kph

So on this analysis, the bike is worth around 35s/0.9kph, and the wheels another 44s/1.3kph over 16.0934km.
    Over 25 miles (40km), these figures can be multiplied by 2.5 – the bike may be worth about 90s, and the wheels another 110s

I guess it's not inconsistent with this from the Biggest Bang for your Buck article:

ttchart.jpg

The only other question is whether the more aero position restricts, in any way, my power output, when compared to the road bike with aero bars. My gut feeling is not, but it is very difficult to properly evaluate this (unless I go back to experimenting with the road bike, which I have no intention of doing!)

So did I get Bang for my Buck? - well I'm not complaining anyway:D

Beasty wrote: »
    The only other question is whether the more aero position restricts, in any way, my power output, when compared to the road bike with aero bars. My gut feeling is not, but it is very difficult to properly evaluate this (unless I go back to experimenting with the road bike, which I have no intention of doing!)

I think practice 16km TTs on a road bike make good training for road racing, particularly getting comfortable and aero on both drops and hoods, and practising looking through your eyebrows.

Maybe you could separate out the CP curves for TT bike and road bike to understand a bit more about where the power is.

Nice average power, btw. :)

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Maybe you could separate out the CP curves for TT bike and road bike to understand a bit more about where the power is.
    Road bike, aero bars, 286w, 25m 6s:
    030810.jpg?t=1304708041

TT bike, aero wheels, 267w, 24m 25s:
    030511.jpg?t=1304708041

So the TT bike curve is much flatter - hardly any variation in power (peak was when getting up to speed at the start, and a fairly steady effort throughout). I guess I was also able to focus on keeping it steadier this time.

However my previous efforts involved a very hard push at the end - I didn't need to this time as I knew I was already well within handicap (I averaged around 45kph for the last minute or so on the road bike, and nearer 35kph on Tuesday)

Advertisement