Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ROLLERHOCKEY

• 11-10-2010 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Like the rest I am hoping the ice dome will re-open soon. In the mean time, if anyone wants to play rollerhockey, he/she is welcome to join us every saturday night in ALSAA (near the Dublin airport) from 9pm to 10:30PM (and sometimes even to 11pm). The first session in ALSAA was held 2 days ago and we had 2 goalies plus 7 skaters which was a good start for rollerhockey.

It's 10 euro for the 90 minute session and there's dressing room and shower facility. The hall is the size of 3 basketball courts combined (it's big!!). We have 2 standard size nets.

All is welcome!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I went to my first training session ever last friday in Galway, I've like ice hockey for years but have never played hockey or skated much at all.

It was so enjoyable I've decided to buy gear and sign up to the city club.

There was 4 newbies there and it was a great laugh.

I'd really recommend anyone to give it a go, even if you only have a passing interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

Roller hockey with inline skates and a puck or roller hockey with quad skates and a ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭PMC83

This session is inline hockey: Puck and blades

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

Have ye thought about joining Inline Hockey Ireland? They are looking for clubs to get a league going.

The bulk of these players are from the Dublin Wolves, pretty sure they are entering

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭peter ting

Actually only myself and one other are from Dublin Wolves. Most of mine ice hockey team mates are not interested in rollerhockey. So I have new players who I met by chance joining me now. It's hard to get new players interested in rollerhockey. Still waiting for Dundalk to open again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Don't think the Dome will be reopening any time soon. However, I saw this on the IIHA's page today- looks like they're trying to get people skating again, albeit in Belfast.
    http://www.iiha.org/news/article/view/id/469

Yes I know about that and in fact I am submitting a team to play in the tournament. There will be only 3 hours of ice time for the IIHA on the Sunday for all team/players. There is no format as yet for the type of tournament. My players are all looking forward to it as we have not played ice hockey since the closing of the Ice Dome !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

is there any roller hockey near city centre? i use to play in the erne eagles and would be interested in starting up again if i can.

Hello,

I don't know any place in town for rollerhockey. We play every saturday night at the ALSAA club near the airport from 9pm to 11pm and it cost 10 euro per person. If you are interested leave me a private message and I will forward you my phone number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

ill hve to get back to you in january to see if im able too as iv a job interveiw abroad so mightnt be in the country as much

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Hi, I know this thread is old but Im just wondering if you guys are still playing this out in Alsaa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭mentor

Hi,
    Yes, inline hockey is still on every Saturday night from 9 to 10:30 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

Thanks. Its been a few years since Ive bladded but would be interested in maybe starting to attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭mentor

You are welcome to come out this Sunday and join us if you like. The standard is quite high but we are more social than competitive. All of us are really ice hockey players turned inline due to the closure of the only ice rink in the republic in Dundalk 18 months ago. Hope to see you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 PABaracus

mentor wrote: »
    You are welcome to come out this Sunday and join us if you like. The standard is quite high but we are more social than competitive. All of us are really ice hockey players turned inline due to the closure of the only ice rink in the republic in Dundalk 18 months ago. Hope to see you there.

Hi,

Are you still playing in ALSAA? Myself and a few friends were talking about potentially starting a team in the North Dublin area because training in Ballyfermot with Dublin Riot and Vipers is a bit awkward. We're living in Santry so ALSAA or (preferably) DCU would be ideal. What exactly is your setup at the moment? How often do you practice and would you welcome new players? We're originally from Dundalk so we've played at the Ice Dome and we've also been involved in a few teams in the north before the Ice Dome opened.

It would be great to get a few people together and get a proper team running.

Good luck with DCU man, they can be a little bit tricky. A lot of inline has been played there over the years and its a great spot but last year we (the riot) were told that we could no longer play there. 'Marks on the floor'- usual rubish to be honest, the floor was fine. But I suspect some suit saw one of us rolling around and took an instant dislike. Their loss really, we were renting 3 basket ball courts at a time which was a few quid for them....

Their emai lalso stated that we 'left too bad a smell in the locker room' :rolleyes:

Thanks, I've e-mailed them but I don't expect them to allow us to use their halls. My best bet is probably ALSAA. It's a pity cause DCU would be a great location. Really wish Ice and Inline Hockey were more popular in Ireland. They're such great sports! Need to figure out a way to promote them.

Would you know of anyone looking to join a team in North Dublin? I've started a separate thread about it so, if you know of anyone who might be interested, could you refer them to the thread? Would really appreciate any help! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74390095

If I can't get something going around Santry I'll try my best to make it down to Ballyfermot. It's just a bit awkward with College and Work. How often would you play games with Dublin Riot? Would you have space for an extra goalie? :P

I actually play with Vipers now, but essentially we all train together as a mixed bunch. Monday/Wed/Fri night, and sat afternoon. Numbers go up and down a lot. But seems to be around 20 people who pass through each week, some make 1 session, some make em all.

Have you checked out any other Dublin City council ran places on the north side? We've enjoyed a good relationship with Ballyfermot so far, which is important to maintain with these kinds of sports.

Theres a place in Dunleer that the Tornados train, but perhaps this too far the otehr direction?

WE ALLWAYS WELCOME GOALIES!!!!!:D

Sounds good. I should be able to make it to the Monday and Wednesday sessions without too much difficulty. I haven't looked into it yet but I'll check it out later today.

Yeah, I've spoken to the Dunleer guys but it would be more awkward than Ballyfermot. I'm originally from Dundalk so I've been playing there but I'm moving back up to the DCU area for college in a couple of weeks so I was hoping to sort something out in the area.

Great! Well if I can't get my own team up and running I'll definitely be down to Ballyfermot as much as I can. Currently nursing an injury and easing myself back into hockey but I want to start playing properly again as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement