Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

lord lucan wrote: »

She's a babe but her voice is soooooooooo ****ing annoying. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

She's a babe but her voice is soooooooooo ****ing annoying. :o

What?!!...................she sings!!!:eek::p

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

fancanvi-set1.jpg

Fan Can VI is officially out, don't have the money for this (to be honest, the lack of a CD in this set really upsets me - would it have been that hard to have a demo collection or leave the tapes running on a recording day)

One day I hope to get one at least:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Beekay wrote: »

now THAT is some funny ****, he doesn't even skip a beat!!!

Gotta be one of the bands (Possibly crew's) kids, no-one else would be allowed that close

scudzilla wrote: »
    Gotta be one of the bands (Possibly crew's) kids, no-one else would be allowed that close

I heard it was believed to be James son, but in true Hetfield family fashion, he neither stopped singing nor comforted the child after the song....it will make him more of a man in later life, and he may not thank James for it, but he'll certainly remember it!

What happened to all their feelings for each other after St Anger

Also, does anyone have a problem with the fact Metallica rarely swear live anymore? You couldn't stop James for years from swearing every five seconds, Live in Mexico is practically a blue album....I even have a document from a record company begging Metallica not to swear on stage, and Metallica telling them to **** off...now, either because he has children of his or others at every show or because he's "cleaned up" there's not a bad word spoken...

Just found this for the first time, but people have probably seen it for years! I wasn't aware there was any pro shot footage this close to when Jason left the band, with the exception of his 'Fade To Black' final performance at the VH1 Awards or something....anyone know why they taped this gig?

Pretty big crowd as well, doesn't seem to have been an awards show performance either, seems more likely it was a concert in their schedule....watch Hetfield at the start of this song ala Kerry King:D

I heard it was believed to be James son, but in true Hetfield family fashion, he neither stopped singing nor comforted the child after the song....it will make him more of a man in later life, and he may not thank James for it, but he'll certainly remember it!

What happened to all their feelings for each other after St Anger

Also, does anyone have a problem with the fact Metallica rarely swear live anymore? You couldn't stop James for years from swearing every five seconds, Live in Mexico is practically a blue album....I even have a document from a record company begging Metallica not to swear on stage, and Metallica telling them to **** off...now, either because he has children of his or others at every show or because he's "cleaned up" there's not a bad word spoken...

Not really noticed the lack of swearing, doesn't bother me that much TBH, so long as they keep up with being the best live band on the planet i don't give a rats.

A few Metallica 'bargains' i've seen around

The 'Six feet down under EP' Aussie import on CD WOW for 15.99

http://www.cdwow.ie/CD/metallica-six-feet-down-under-ep/dp/15620673#bc=f24b

The big four BLU-RAY at £19.99 & Live at Nimes BLURAY for £12.99 at hmv

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleMultiSearch.do?searchUID=-8249118765303123712&pGroupID=blu-ray&adultFlag=false&simpleSearchString=metallica&primaryID=blu-ray&btnSubmitSearch.x=28&btnSubmitSearch.y=4

Not really noticed the lack of swearing, doesn't bother me that much TBH, so long as they keep up with being the best live band on the planet i don't give a rats.

I'm a bit stuck on this, it's not that I want to hear an artist swear every 5 minutes and think it's cool and all that - if I did, I'd listen to Rap music, but the problem is that the lack of swearing has also seemed to take away the lack of aggression. Sure, they play their instruments well and the songs sound great, but you look at them and wonder if they're still as into it as they used to be.

If Metallica ever break up, I could see it happening through boredom, or (just like the Beatles) because there was nothing left to be done....and because Lars and James have a massive falling out of course lol

For example, Creeping Death in Woodstock in 94

Creeping Death in 2010

General observations are that Rob does his thing (but you sort of want Jason's energy back), Kirk is still a little bit into it and moving about, but James sort of stands still and plays everything with a little less energy. Lars doesn't seem as focused behind the kit as he used to be.

On a happier topic though, what do you think will happen next year, will Metallica perform the entire Black album live? Will the 30th Anniversary concerts take on a life of their own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

I agree, I miss the aggression the swearing used to bring during a metallica show. All I know is that Lars still curses like a ****er. Was watching one metontour vid where Lars was asking James to call everyone mother ****ers when he got on stage and he refused to do it.. this was jokingly asking though.

I saw an interview with james once where he was asked about this and said its mainly because of him having kids now.

Still does it the odd time, I'm just glad hes started doing the growling on harvester again :pac:

And they do tour more than ever now basically so I think its safe to say they are stil very much into it,
    Just because they don't act aggressive doesnt change that

From Metallica.com

In the whacky world of rock'n'roll, sometimes stuff happens which looks even weirder than it really is! And with context being vital in these situations, we just wanted to address something which happened on the tour the other night regarding a large beachball, a band member's foot and a little girl. Some of you will have seen on youtube (or read in some reports) that Kirk knocked a small child offstage by kicking a beachball at her. That little lady is the daughter of the stage manager and dressing coordinator, who are fortunate to travel as a family on this tour. She was thoroughly enjoying watching the beachballs drop from the rafters, Kirk was thoroughly enjoying kicking the beachballs off the stage and back into the crowd as has been done every night on the tour, and neither of them saw the other. The poor wee one happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. She wasn't hurt. She didn't go "flying several feet into the audience." And Kirk and she remain good buddies. It's very cool that everyone showed concern and support though, so we just wanted to say "it's all good" and thanks for asking.

kirk.jpg

I'm a bit stuck on this, it's not that I want to hear an artist swear every 5 minutes and think it's cool and all that - if I did, I'd listen to Rap music, but the problem is that the lack of swearing has also seemed to take away the lack of aggression. Sure, they play their instruments well and the songs sound great, but you look at them and wonder if they're still as into it as they used to be.

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    I agree, I miss the aggression the swearing used to bring during a metallica show. All I know is that Lars still curses like a ****er. Was watching one metontour vid where Lars was asking James to call everyone mother ****ers when he got on stage and he refused to do it.. this was jokingly asking though.

I saw an interview with james once where he was asked about this and said its mainly because of him having kids now.

Still does it the odd time, I'm just glad hes started doing the growling on harvester again :pac:

And they do tour more than ever now basically so I think its safe to say they are stil very much into it,
    Just because they don't act aggressive doesnt change that

Sure it's James and an age thing, probably having kids who are of an age were they're aware of what he's saying makes him not want to swear, i know for sure there's some TOTALLY fcuked up shiit that i did in my late teens to mid twenties that i'd never dream of doing now. Age does changeya, no matter what people say.

The most i've ever physically seen James swear was at Donington in '95, seemed like every other word in his mid song chat was Fcuk, if i recall correctly he even came on stage and shouted "Fcuk yeah motherfcuker motherfcuker"

On a happier topic though, what do you think will happen next year, will Metallica perform the entire Black album live? Will the 30th Anniversary concerts take on a life of their own?

I really dunno what's gonna be happening with this 'supposed' 30th Aniversary tour, was it only 12 cities during the whole of 2011?? That seems to have changed already with the announcement of the Brazil Rock in Rio, i really can't see them going to South America and only playing the 1 date.

I also doubt that it'd be Black in it's entirety, i've heard stuff like 'Similar to The Wall' thrown about, whatever it is i will not be surprised

Pretty big crowd as well, doesn't seem to have been an awards show performance either, seems more likely it was a concert in their schedule....watch Hetfield at the start of this song ala Kerry King:D

It was Seatlle, June 23rd 2000

http://www.metallica.com/timeline.asp?page=tour&id=2246

Don't think it was a regular gig as the stage set is one i don't recognise at all, and they only played 9 songs

Enter Sandman
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Sad But True
    Fuel
    I Disappear
    King Nothing
    Nothing Else Matters
    One
    Battery

I also doubt that it'd be Black in it's entirety, i've heard stuff like 'Similar to The Wall' thrown about, whatever it is i will not be surprised

I'd love to see this guy come back for a little

080900_pic2.jpg

From his last gig (bar VH1 Awards) in 2000

I'd love to see this guy come back for a little

080900_pic2.jpg

From his last gig (bar VH1 Awards) in 2000

Jason was one of my fav members of Metallica, he wore his heart on his sleeve and lived for music, he was always the one to actually spend time chatting to the fans, and in the early days of the Meet & Greet's when only 2 members came out you could be guaranteed Jason was one of them.

Also loved hearing him sing songs like Seek & Destroy.

No offence to Rob, who is an awesome player, but i'd have loved to have seen Jason come through the St Anger shiit and have been given a lot more writing responsiblity.

I think James knows now that he treated Jason pretty unfair

Would drag me balls over a mile of broken glass to see a full gig with Jason again

Would drag me balls over a mile of broken glass to see a full gig with Jason again

To remind those of us who don't understand why Jason was that popular, here's a little video...this is from 1994/6, and Jason has shown up in Manila to take time out of a busy touring schedule and jam with some local artists for the sake of music in a ****ty dive of a club. The rest of Metallica are probably off at Madonna's house or something.....and Jason's wearing a Meshuggah T Shirt

The most i've ever physically seen James swear was at Donington in '95, seemed like every other word in his mid song chat was Fcuk, if i recall correctly he even came on stage and shouted "Fcuk yeah motherfcuker motherfcuker"

I PMSL at that,yes i'm a child!:D

I think there's 2 factors in this. The first is the fact that back then Het was on the gargle all the time and the drink probably spoke for him. That and his 'stage persona',stalking the stage with Explorer nearly at his knees.

Also,now they all have their kids at a lot of shows. I don't think it was a deliberate decision to cut down on the swearing but probably a subconcious decision.

Or i'm just reading way too much into how Metallica operate!:pac:

Snow White gets her revenge on Kirk!:pac:

******With added swearing from Kirk just for Motley Crue*********:D

• Advertisement

I PMSL at that,yes i'm a child!:D

I think there's 2 factors in this. The first is the fact that back then Het was on the gargle all the time and the drink probably spoke for him. That and his 'stage persona',stalking the stage with Explorer nearly at his knees.

Also,now they all have their kids at a lot of shows. I don't think it was a deliberate decision to cut down on the swearing but probably a subconcious decision.

Or i'm just reading way too much into how Metallica operate!:pac:

i THINK the reason why he opened that set with 'Fcuk yeah Motherfcuker Motherfcuker' was that they had been told not to swear as the gig was being broadcast live on national Radio 1, all other bands had a 15min delay except the headliners, i'm 99% certain that was the reason.

My funniest ever Metallica moment was at the European MTV awards in Ally Pally, London back in '96.

I was watching on TV, as were millions of viewers across Europe and it was totally live. During rehearsals they had played King Nothing, the new single, but got totally pissed off with the MTV producers telling them to do this and do that.

Come show time, known only to the band and a few crew, they played Last Caress/So What live to an audience of Millions.

I've NEVER seen James pronounce the word fcuk in that song so clearly before or since!!

Snow White gets her revenge on Kirk!:pac:

******With added swearing from Kirk just for Motley Crue*********:D

Awesome, nice to see Ross Halfin still shootin the guys, love his work

I remember this, without a shadow of a doubt the best moment ever at the MTV European Music Awards...which are, for the most part, a complete joke of an awards ceremony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

I remember this, without a shadow of a doubt the best moment ever at the MTV European Music Awards...which are, for the most part, a complete joke of an awards ceremony

While im fond of Metallica, as in regard mtv performances i think the Kraftwerk performance was the most epic ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49zXpJu--7I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

i THINK the reason why he opened that set with 'Fcuk yeah Motherfcuker Motherfcuker' was that they had been told not to swear as the gig was being broadcast live on national Radio 1, all other bands had a 15min delay except the headliners, i'm 99% certain that was the reason.

My funniest ever Metallica moment was at the European MTV awards in Ally Pally, London back in '96.

I was watching on TV, as were millions of viewers across Europe and it was totally live. During rehearsals they had played King Nothing, the new single, but got totally pissed off with the MTV producers telling them to do this and do that.

Come show time, known only to the band and a few crew, they played Last Caress/So What live to an audience of Millions.

I've NEVER seen James pronounce the word fcuk in that song so clearly before or since!!

To be fair to James, at least he did warn us about the cursing at Donington in '95. At the start of '2x4' which was early in the set he said something like "I'm going to say motherf*&ker a lot tonight motherf*&kers! Is that ok?".

empirix wrote: »
    While im fond of Metallica, as in regard mtv performances i think the Kraftwerk performance was the most epic ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49zXpJu--7I

Hmmmmm, 4 guys playing there organs while wearing colourful gimp suits, i thinks not ;)

Great setlist for the 2nd last show of the tour,can't wait to see what they have in store for tomorrows show,the last of the tour.

That Was Just Your Life
    Cyanide
    Ride The Lightning
    Through The Never
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    The God That Failed
    My Apocalypse
    Sad But True
    No Leaf Clover
    The Outlaw Torn
    One
    Master Of Puppets
    Dyers Eve
    Nothing Else Matters
    Enter Sandman
    - - - - - - - -
    Stone Cold Crazy
    Phantom Lord
    Seek and Destroy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 RickBockwinkle

I just gave "St. Anger" a listen for the first time in ages. And, "Invisible Kid" and "Purify" aside there is some really interesting stuff going on on that album.

I especially like "My World" and "Shoot Me Again" because they both sound like the band are having actual fun.

In it's own way it's a very unique album in general, not just for Metallica.

Final show of the World Magnetic tour in Melbourne:

That Was Just Your Life
    Fuel
    Disposable Heroes
    The Thing That Should Not Be
    Fade To Black
    Of Wolf And Man
    Leper Messiah
    Sad But True
    The Unforgiven III
    The Call Of Ktulu
    One
    Master Of Puppets
    Fight Fire With Fire
    Nothing Else Matters
    Enter Sandman
    - - - - - - - -
    Die, Die My Darling
    Trapped Under Ice
    Seek and Destroy

And some stats:

Here are some stats.... these 5 shows in Melbourne had over 75,000 fans in attendance. For all the shows in Australia and New Zealand, over 300,000 fans saw their favorite band play. Depending on who you ask, the stats may difffer, but this is what I have: The World Magnetic tour crossed 45 countries, 143 arena shows, 34 festival shows, 29 stadium shows, 4 club/theater shows, 3 tv/radio shows, 2 hall of fame shows, 3790 songs, and not a single setlist was the same.

• Advertisement

Here are some stats.... these 5 shows in Melbourne had over 75,000 fans in attendance. For all the shows in Australia and New Zealand, over 300,000 fans saw their favorite band play. Depending on who you ask, the stats may difffer, but this is what I have: The World Magnetic tour crossed 45 countries, 143 arena shows, 34 festival shows, 29 stadium shows, 4 club/theater shows, 3 tv/radio shows, 2 hall of fame shows, 3790 songs, and not a single setlist was the same.

That's what i fcukin love about Live Metallica, i love DC but on there Black Ice tour they hardly changed the set throughout the whole tour

Advertisement