Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beasty's objectives for 2010

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lumen wrote: »
    :eek:

I'm sure I've asked this before, but have you turned off zero averaging and enabled per-second data recording?

It shouldn't take 245W to cycle at 30.5kph.
    Yes zero-averaging is off and per-second recording is on
    (Are you saying these are the settings I should be using?)

There is a bit of climbing involved (although it nets down to nil over the day), and I know I am quite a lot heavier than you:) (probably over 110kg including bike and all the paraphanalia I carry round with me). I also adopt a very unaerodynamic position, and there was a bit of wind in my face on the way home that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Beasty wrote: »
    Yes zero-averaging is off and per-second recording is on (Are you saying these are the settings I should be using?)

Yes, those are the recommended settings I use also (although not until fairly recently). Zero averaging would push the numbers higher for the same average power.
    There is a bit of climbing involved (although it nets down to nil over the day), and I know I am quite a lot heavier than you:) (probably over 110kg including bike and all the paraphanalia I carry round with me). I also adopt a very unaerodynamic position, and there was a bit of wind in my face on the way home that evening.

Interesting. I know your power stats were a lot higher for that memorial cycle, but I put that down to different settings, which is perhaps not the case. It seems that rider weight is important even for flattish cycling.

Take your point about aero, but I'm pretty upright myself.

Whatever, nice stats. You should do something useless with all that performance, like racing!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I was wondering if there was potential for interference with your own PowerTap on the Brannigan Memorial. However I suspect it is probably down to a couple of things:

Climbing (for me at least) does take a lot of effort, largely because of my weight (although a bit more practice would help). Hence even on relatively flattish courses I still end up pushing it up the hills, but as the downslopes are shorter (time-wise), I cannot "make up" the difference. I guess this is where the weight may make more of a difference than you might think (I suspect it is marginal on completely flat courses).

I am not used to riding in a group, and I think I was probably on the brakes a lot more than you on the Brannigan, which obviously dissipates more energy.

On the aero point, I have a very long torso (if my legs were "normal" for my torso, I would be getting on for 10cm taller, and if my torso was "normal" for my legs, I would be nearly 10cm shorter:)), which I suspect does increase my wind resistance quite a lot. It's great for anyone who wants to draft behind me though:)

As I keep saying, I am probably a bit too old and fragile for racing:). TTs are different, and as you will see from my velodrome reports when I can find somewhere flat with no wind I do feel as if I can push it.

Hopefully I will be able to put it to the test with the Swords guys later this week, as they normally do some interval training one or two evenings a week

Off to sunnier climes for the weekend (well, OK, Old Trafford tomorrow, and North Yorkshire on Sunday). Won't be on the bike again until Tuesday, or possibly Wednesday, as I will be away on business on Monday and Tuesday.

This week was more about distance than speed!

Two PBs this week - total distance 353km (previous best 286km) over 13 hours 30 minutes and maximum power 852w (previous best 827w)

Monday 62km commuting
    Tuesday 45km commuting, plus another 31km mainly hill work in the evening
    Wednesday 62km commuting
    Thursday 45km commuting, plus another 29km interval work in the evening
    Friday 79km commuting

Average speed - 26.1 kph
    Average power - 203w

Focussed a bit more on climbing this week, with a total of around 2,500m ascent, including Ardgillan Hill 4 times on Tuesday, and another 4 times on the commutes.

Thursday evening's work was in strong winds. The road we were using was pretty much straight into the wind one way, and it was blowing at 40-50 kph. It was heading into this wind on a slight gradient when I recorded 852w on the power meter. However the efforts of the week quickly caught up with me, and I soon slowed down significantly (when riding into the wind)

YTD total 1,263km in 44 hours, at an average speed of 28.7 kph. This puts me around 250km ahead of where I need to be to hit the 10,000km for the year

Only 5,429 miles to go

Next week will be a bit quieter, with probably 3 commutes, and hopefully some time out on Tuesday and/or Thursday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Impressive work Beasty, I think you have done well considering the weather we had. Enjoy your weekend, recovery is just as important as the pain.You must be a pretty big boy to hit those wattages!

• Advertisement

sy wrote: »
    Impressive work Beasty, I think you have done well considering the weather we had. Enjoy your weekend, recovery is just as important as the pain.You must be a pretty big boy to hit those wattages!
    Cheers Sy. 52nd anniversary of Munich tomorrow, and I'll be taking the 5 year old to his first match (not that he will have a clue as to what's going on - I'll even have to explain to him that he needs to cheer the guys in red)

In terms of size, I put this guy in the shade, having lost about 70 lbs (over 30kg) a couple of years ago. Even after that, I am still tipping the scales at around 95kg, hence my hints at needing to drop a bit more weight, and practice my hill work!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Staro

Well done Beasty, impressive stats for the week, Thursday was tough, hope to see you out next week!

Other than around 25 mins in a hotel gym last night, I have been off the pedals since Friday night. That gave me an opportunity to check my resting heart rate, which is now down to 46:)

So tonight it was out with the Swords guys doing some hill work, and I had no excuses (previous attempts were following daily commutes). I know they are all keen to hear the stats, so here goes:

Total time, door to door for me was 1hr 28m
    Total distance 31.6km at average speed of 21.6 kph
    Average power 214w, max 680w, 941kj
    Total climbing (mainly 5 ascents of Ardgillan, plus one of Togher Hill) -500m

Ardgillan climbs (1.9km each)
    #1 - 5m 55s (45s faster than my previous best) - 329w
    #2 - 6m 04s - 320w
    #3 - 6m 42s - 300w
    #4 - 6m 27s - 313w
    #5 - 6m 02s - 334w

You had the hammer down on the last one!

Staro wrote: »
    You had the hammer down on the last one!
    Not as much as shaungil had on the previous one, when he thought I was coming up behind him (it was actually a car, but my lights are so strong he thought it was me:))

I've got to say, coming into it fresh does make a difference. I had definitely saved something for the last one, and managed to get a head-start on the rest of you (although I was still expecting you guys to hunt me down)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Other than around 25 mins in a hotel gym last night, I have been off the pedals since Friday night. That gave me an opportunity to check my resting heart rate, which is now down to 46:)

So tonight it was out with the Swords guys doing some hill work, and I had no excuses (previous attempts were following daily commutes). I know they are all keen to hear the stats, so here goes:

Total time, door to door for me was 1hr 28m
    Total distance 31.6km at average speed of 21.6 kph
    Average power 214w, max 680w, 941kj
    Total climbing (mainly 5 ascents of Ardgillan, plus one of Togher Hill) -500m

Ardgillan climbs (1.9km each)
    #1 - 5m 55s (45s faster than my previous best) - 329w
    #2 - 6m 04s - 320w
    #3 - 6m 42s - 300w
    #4 - 6m 27s - 313w
    #5 - 6m 02s - 334w

Interesting looking at the times as I was just ahead of you on each one bar the last when Staro was fannying about going up the hill and was then too whacked to drag me across to nick it on the line from you.
    I tried to maintain the effort for each climb so I was putting in equal effort (bar the car /Beasty chasing).

I tried to start at the back so I could use someone to chase and was interested at looking at the technique. As we went on every did seem a bit more ragged so I guess a lot of energy wasted. I tried to keep pretty smooth throughout but certainly there were concentration issues on the third and fourth from a few and then we all went full blast on the last.

When we aren't concentrating does the form go out the window. I think my bro was a bit all over so will get him to watch that. Or is it better to throw the bike round? Would think not. Not something I've noticed before.

shaungil wrote: »
    Interesting looking at the times as I was just ahead of you on each one bar the last when Staro was fannying about going up the hill and was then too whacked to drag me across to nick it on the line from you.
    I tried to maintain the effort for each climb so I was putting in equal effort (bar the car /Beasty chasing).

I tried to start at the back so I could use someone to chase and was interested at looking at the technique. As we went on every did seem a bit more ragged so I guess a lot of energy wasted. I tried to keep pretty smooth throughout but certainly there were concentration issues on the third and fourth from a few and then we all went full blast on the last.

When we aren't concentrating does the form go out the window. I think my bro was a bit all over so will get him to watch that. Or is it better to throw the bike round? Would think not. Not something I've noticed before.
    I think it is difficult to maintain effort on repeated climbs like that. On previous weeks, my times deteriorated with each ascent. Last night was different for 2 reasons. I went in fresh, so could improve my overall times, and I saved something for the last climb. I felt you guys were catching me on that last climb, which made me push even harder. But I was out of the saddle for most of the steeper parts of that climb. I knew I had no more efforts to do, and could therefore afford to push it as hard as I felt I could (although my maximum heart-rate was still 9 beats off what I hit on the velodrome a few weeks back - that could have been something to do with the sub-zero temperature)

It is interesting having the power meter, which really highlights the extra effort required. You will see my time for the final climb was (slightly) slower than the first, but my power was higher. This highlights I was not cycling as efficiently as I could (on the first climb I stayed in the saddle throughout), which supports your "wasted energy" point

If you are rocking you are prob over geared, drop a gear and concentrate on your cadence. Keep it smooth.....if you can!

Only 2 commutes this week, and three evening sessions (including over an hour and a half tonight) plus 25 minutes in a hotel gym (I felt a bit under the weather in the middle of the week, and therefore dropped one of the anticipated commutes)

Total distance on the road - 221km, at 214w with getting on for 1,800m of climbing
    Overall total for the week - 232km in just under 9 hours at an average speed of 26.1 kph

Total YTD distance 1,495km (which keeps me nearly 250km ahead of schedule) and total climbing is well over 7,000m. The climbing is coming on really well, and I am definitely improving in this area. I have already done nearly 25% of my total climbing last year.

Next week I will be away on business from Wednesday to Friday, so will be restricted to 2 commutes, some hill work on Tuesday, plus an hour on the track in Manchester on Thursday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Beasty where did you do your 1hr 30 on Saturday night?

midonogh wrote: »
    Beasty where did you do your 1hr 30 on Saturday night?
    Did 5 circuits starting outside the front door, heading past Ardla, up to Ardgillan, across to Cross of the Cage and then back down to the Skerries/Lusk Road, turning back up the Ardla/Ardgillan road. There was virtually no road lighting, but as you know I don't need any extra illumination:). Other than on the Skerries/ Lusk road, I probably only came across 2 or 3 cars all evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Where's Ardgillan Hill......don't say Ardgillan!!!

I might incorporate it into a few spins when I head down that way.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Where's Ardgillan Hill......don't say Ardgillan!!!

I might incorporate it into a few spins when I head down that way.
    Google map here

There are two main approaches each with gradients of up to 12%

The short, sharp one starts on the R127 towards the top of the map. Coming from Balbriggan, you take a right under a railway bridge (its on a sharp left hand bend on the R127). On our Tuesday evening spins we continue all the way past the entrance to Ardgillan Demesne (where it levels off) and on to the place marked "Strifeland". This hill is used in the final stage of the Ras. Total climbing on this one is just over 80m over just over 1.8km (although most of the climbing is in the first km)

An alternative option (the one I did on Saturday, which is unlit), is to take the R127 from Lusk towards Skerries. There is a sharp dip just after the cricket club (on your left), and at the bottom of that dip you take a left (where it is marked "Milverton" on the map). There is a short climb, then another dip past Ardla burial ground before a relatively steady climb which ends at the entrance to Ardgillan Demesne. From Ardla, the total climbing on this one is around 60m.

If you are really keen, you will see Togher Hill towards the bottom right of the map - this one is short, but the gradient reaches 16%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Thanks for that.

Bellewstown and the Naul have got boring - they look like nice leg looseners!!!

I am currently on a train between Manchester and London, and thought I'd test their Wi-Fi capabilities by posting a report on this morning's track session

I was an early start - today's session was between 8 and 9, and the only nutrition I managed to get beforehand were a couple of Nutrigrain. It also meant it probably took a bit longer than usual to warm-up

Most of riders today were noobies, which meant a few of us had the track to ourselves for the first 10 minutes or so. However the other side of this is their inexperience shows, and you always have to be on the lookout for the unexpected. There tends to be a lot more speeding up and slowing down, and weaving in and out when they do get on the track.

The first 25 minutes or so, I pushed it, and was probably getting on for 39 kph once I had warmed up. Then another guy asked if I wanted to line-lap, and we took it in turns for a few minutes before another reasonably fast (but new to the track) guy joined us. He did very well given it was his first session, and quickly learned the procedures and etiquette. We must have been pushing 42/43 kph for a while. Then his mate (another noobie) joined us, which brought a lot of disruption to the proceedings. We kept up a decent pace, but changeovers and line discipline were poor.

The other guys dropped off one by one for rests, but when they retuned (fortunately not the 2nd noobie) we picked up the pace again and pushed hard to the end.

As soon as the line started I lost count of the number of laps, but I think my overall speed was over 40 kph, and I could argue this objective has been hit. However I had some assistence and I now need to reconsider my strategy for getting this one. Because of session changeovers we are always a minute or two short of the full hour, and I also need some warm-up time. In addition, the other riders can distort things (either by providing drafting opportunties, or disrupting the ride.

Hence I am now thinking of hiring the track for my personal use for a couple of hours (it's not as expensive as you might think) - then I can have no excuses. I would like to get down to Sundrive over the summer, and hopefully get some proper coaching for riding the track (currently I simply turn up and push hard!) before I do this. I also want to wait until my next birthday (it would be nice to be able to say I have done 40k in an hour when I'm 50), so it will have to wait until late in the year:)

• Advertisement

First the good news:
    • AFAIK the bike is fine
    • I do not need any surgery
    • I am learning how to type (albeit slowly) with one hand (apologies in advance for the typos)
    • If we ressurrect the "big thighs" thread, my left one is now 74cm circumference (my right one remains 69-70cm though:))
    • I now have the chance to get a bit more theretical and a bit less practical experience
    Now the not so good news:
    • The wrist is broken in 3 places. A couple of minor ones, and a more significant one at a joint
    • I have a nasty abrasion at the back of my left leg - probably around 25cm x 15cm in total, with a layer of skin coming off an area perhaps 15cm by 10cm
    • The €200 Assos bib-tights are written-off (although I have had the best part of 2 winters out of them, and suspect I will no longer need them this winter - it's also a good excuse to top up the wardrobe next winter).
    So what happened?
    • I went out on the bike last night around 9pm. It was cold, but no-where near as cold as the night before (when I had done a 2hr 20min session). Although there were a few specks of snow, there was no obvious ice.
    • I did a complete 9km circuit starting outside the house, without any incident. Early on the second circuit there is a downward slope for perhaps 200m or so, and I was coming down this at 44 kph (per Garmin). I eased on the brakes slightly and felt first the rear and then the front give. The back went again and I felt a certain inevitability about the outcome
    • As anticipated I came down on my left side, sliding down the slope for perhaps another 5 metres (I watched the bobsleigh later that night, and have a pretty good idea as to how the GB brakeman feels!)
    • I got up, and then started to appreciate just how slippy the road surface was. My cleats were all over the place. There was a thin layer of mud that had become damp during the day and was starting to freeze.
    • Fortunately it was only a 500m or so walk back home. I could see the bad state of my leg, and feel the wrist, which quickly swelled up.
    • On getting home I showered off all the crap around the wound, and hoped the wrist swelling would go down (although I did suspect something more serious). Rather than gain the "Saturday night Casualty" experience, I left it until this morning (when it was actually quite quiet)
    I did not want to spook any of you who were due to commence your racing careers, and so held off reporting back until now

Anyway, I am now back from A&E with a temporary cast, and the painkillers are starting to have effect. Looks like I will be unable to drive (or presumably ride a bike) for 4-6 weeks, so the VR will see quite a bit more action in the forthcoming weeks.

EDIT - ..Oh, and objective 4 is now officially failed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Get well soon Beasty!

I know what you mean about that "certain inevitability". Any time I have fallen off it's like time slows but I still don't manage to control my fall, I just think "Oh darn, I'm really falling".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

First the good news:
    • AFAIK the bike is fine
    • I do not need any surgery
    • I am learning how to type (albeit slowly) with one hand (apologies in advance for the typos)
    • If we ressurrect the "big thighs" thread, my left one is now 74cm circumference (my right one remains 69-70cm though:))
    • I now have the chance to get a bit more theretical and a bit less practical experience
    Now the not so good news:
    • The wrist is broken in 3 places. A couple of minor ones, and a more significant one at a joint
    • I have a nasty abrasion at the back of my left leg - probably around 25cm x 15cm in total, with a layer of skin coming off an area perhaps 15cm by 10cm
    • The €200 Assos bib-tights are written-off (although I have had the best part of 2 winters out of them, and suspect I will no longer need them this winter - it's also a good excuse to top up the wardrobe next winter).
    So what happened?
    • I went out on the bike last night around 9pm. It was cold, but no-where near as cold as the night before (when I had done a 2hr 20min session). Although there were a few specks of snow, there was no obvious ice.
    • I did a complete 9km circuit starting outside the house, without any incident. Early on the second circuit there is a downward slope for perhaps 200m or so, and I was coming down this at 44 kph (per Garmin). I eased on the brakes slightly and felt first the rear and then the front give. The back went again and I felt a certain inevitability about the outcome
    • As anticipated I came down on my left side, sliding down the slope for perhaps another 5 metres (I watched the bobsleigh later that night, and have a pretty good idea as to how the GB brakeman feels!)
    • I got up, and then started to appreciate just how slippy the road surface was. My cleats were all over the place. There was a thin layer of mud that had become damp during the day and was starting to freeze.
    • Fortunately it was only a 500m or so walk back home. I could see the bad state of my leg, and feel the wrist, which quickly swelled up.
    • On getting home I showered off all the crap around the wound, and hoped the wrist swelling would go down (although I did suspect something more serious). Rather than gain the "Saturday night Casualty" experience, I left it until this morning (when it was actually quite quiet)
    I did not want to spook any of you who were due to commence your racing careers, and so held off reporting back until now

Anyway, I am now back from A&E with a temporary cast, and the painkillers are starting to have effect. Looks like I will be unable to drive (or presumably ride a bike) for 4-6 weeks, so the VR will see quite a bit more action in the forthcoming weeks.

EDIT - ..Oh, and objective 4 is now officially failed

Sorry to hear about your crash, I hope you heal quickly.

I'm glad I finally gave in and bought a turbo...this weather sucks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Beasty - really enjoy yourlog. Sorry to hear about the fall. Take it easy and get well soon.
    Lots of time left in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Beasty, really enjoy reading your log. If you can even get on the turbo twice a week you should hold onto your fitness and may not lose that much from the season. Get well soon

Ryder wrote: »
    Beasty, really enjoy reading your log. If you can even get on the turbo twice a week you should hold onto your fitness and may not lose that much from the season. Get well soon
    Thanks Ryder

I'll update with this week's stats later, but I have built up some headroom on my 10,000km objective, and am probably due a bit of time off the bike anyway. Hopefully I will get on the Tacx in about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Beasty
    sorry to hear this. Get well soon. Maybe we could all get out for a few drinks somenight in the village if Shaungil will let us

Beasty,

Sorry to hear the bad news, I had a fall just after christmas nothing as bad as yours but it is a horrible sensation to feel your wheels go.
    Get well soon and hope to see you back on the bike soon and powering up Ardgillan.

Staro wrote: »
    Beasty,

Sorry to hear the bad news, I had a fall just after christmas nothing as bad as yours but it is a horrible sensation to feel your wheels go.
    Get well soon and hope to see you back on the bike soon and powering up Ardgillan.
    Thanks Staro

I think I need some of your "superhuman" healing powers:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

my 10,000km objective

Don't worry about missing a few weeks man...I did too and just about managed it. Have a look at the graph below for my year (21 Feb 2009 - 20 Feb 2010) and you will see I also missed a few weeks along the way where I did basically nothing. These were either as a result of sickness (actually got swine flu), exams, end of season recovery and one was a week at the track where I had no stats to input. You will be grand!

105811.gif

EDIT: Ooops...forgot to say get well soon! Sorry :o

Advertisement