Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electrical Apprentice Phase 6

• 06-04-2009 2:14pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Hi,

Can anyone here point me in the right direction for the syllabus for phase 6 of the electrical apprenticeship? I can't seem to find it anywhere online.

All I know is it contains:

Electrical Science
    Electrical Craft Practice
    Electrical Installation
    Workshop Electronics
    Power Distribution
    Programmable Logic Controllers
    Control and Alarm Systems

Can anyone shed any light on what is actually covered in these subjects?

Also is there a particular book anyone could recommend that would cover phase 6 (and phase 4 maybe too if possible)?

Cheers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

It has changed since I did it, so I dont know. But you could ring DIT on (01) 4023000 and ask to speak to someone in the electrical installation dept. They will be able to answer all your questions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I think a new syllibas was introduced last sept.

I think the john whitfield books are recommended. Between both they cover most of the stuff.
    Volume 1
    Volume 2

The science part is more or less these:
    PLC Control,
    Circuit Logic,
    PLC Operating Principles,
    AC Theory
    Synchronous Motors and speed control
    Dc machines
    transformers
    and electronics.

The Craft roughly:
    Earthing,
    Tariffs and metering,
    Fire alarm systems} possibly gone with the new trade
    Intruder alarm systems}possibly gone with the new trade
    Door intercom systems
    Lighting Protection,
    UPS systems
    Switchgear

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Hazardous areas is also in the phase 6 craft practice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭cossworxenergy

Hi,

Can anyone here point me in the right direction for the syllabus for phase 6 of the electrical apprenticeship? I can't seem to find it anywhere online.

All I know is it contains:

Electrical Science
    Electrical Craft Practice
    Electrical Installation
    Workshop Electronics
    Power Distribution
    Programmable Logic Controllers
    Control and Alarm Systems

Can anyone shed any light on what is actually covered in these subjects?

Also is there a particular book anyone could recommend that would cover phase 6 (and phase 4 maybe too if possible)?

Cheers...

I can email you good phase 4 notes if you want also might be able to get phase 6 notes from the instructor. The instructor has a notes summary good detailed notes which were really helpful. Go to Tallaght website and look up contacts in electrical engineering dept and email a guy called gerard stockhil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 darren19

anyone any info on the phase 6 electrical science paper on wed lol? i heard a rumor that some of the colleges in dublin have already done the exam! anyone confirm this??

• Advertisement

I thought the phase 6 exam was a national exam & the whole country should sit it at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 backspace1987

bertie1 wrote: »
    I thought the phase 6 exam was a national exam & the whole country should sit it at the same time

yea it is meant to be a state exam, i done my plc exam today and ppl knew what it was going to be, seems dundalk or somewhere had done it already, craft practice tomorrow and scienece on wed!

all of the above is whats covered in the course

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

bertie1 wrote: »

Yup, I'm up in Dundalk and our T1, T2 & T3 this week, all at 9:30 starts, same as Kevin Street anyway.

The only one thats not done together is the PLC wiring exam, as you cant really cheat by knowing what's coming up.. Unless you've a spare eldon box & a few bits knocking about at home & practice practice practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

When I was doing mine back a few years ago we always heard Dundalk started a bit earlier.
    We already knew what our PLC exam was going to be at the time.

PLC written is now a new exam , scheduled like ECP & Science

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

How did phase 6 go for everybody? Fas arent the quickest at giving out results! I hate waiting for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sjtmullally

any chance that i can get them phase 4 electrical science off you???

can you e mail me them good phase 4 electrical science notes???I need some..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Guillermo Pitiful Dial

I can email you good phase 4 notes if you want also might be able to get phase 6 notes from the instructor. The instructor has a notes summary good detailed notes which were really helpful. Go to Tallaght website and look up contacts in electrical engineering dept and email a guy called gerard stockhil

Hey mate wondering could you email me the phase 4 notes??? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Stephen

[snipped]

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Guillermo Pitiful Dial

Hey mate wondering could you email me the phase 4 notes??? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Stephen

[snipped]

[Can u email me them phase 4 electrical notes...Id be very grateful...my email address is sjtmullally@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chopper22

can i get the phase 4 notes too my email is wack052005@yahoo.ie thank you so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 philip_ennis

hi could you email phase four notes to me to please philip_ennis2003@yahoo.co.uk

can someone send me the phase 4 notes please my mate wiped them from the computer thick as a ditch i know i need them a.s.a.p as my test is coming up in 4 weeks my email address is wack052005@yahoo.ie

please send them to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 johnda

made a mess of the easter exams and know that i'll have to repeat some if not all. any chance of a copy of the phase 4 notes as well. lost most of mine. could somebody mail them on to me at daveyjohn89@yahoo.ie
    thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 william44444

could u please send me on those phase 4 notes failed it twice im desprte im williamphelan@Live.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 william44444

phase 4 notes please

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Posting Email addresses in a forum such as this isnt a great idea lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 slim1988

yea it is meant to be a state exam, i done my plc exam today and ppl knew what it was going to be, seems dundalk or somewhere had done it already, craft practice tomorrow and scienece on wed!

all of the above is whats covered in the course
    ....................im in phase 6 in lit......weve done or practical test last wednesday......have you done the craft practice or science or plc written yet???? any info on questions that are on it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Just finished phase 2 last week and back to work now. Done p3 and t2 last week and was just wondering how long will I be waiting for the results? Does it usually take a while or can you ring fas and get them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Phase 2 results are normally quite quick, can just take a few days. Ye, you can ring up and they will tell you once they have finalised all the marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Count me in ... I would like a copy of the PLC notes if they are available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 robb575

hey im repeting phase 6 science in three weeks, anyone any tips? really need to get this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Tony Grant

I suggest that you do an online revision course for phase 6 google electrical training it is availabel 24/7 and will give you plenty of past paper questions and answers interacively.

Advertisement