Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bought a car on auction in UK without v5

• 09-02-2019 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Bought a car on auction in UK without v5, DVLA used to send cert of permanent export which was enough to register the car here. They stopped doing that on 14th of Jan 2019. So if the car has neither v5 nor the cert, is there any way to vrt it?
    Can apply for v5 replacement giving them my friend's uk address? Or if the car is in ireland already it won't work?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Don't buy a car without a V5C!

https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

macplaxton wrote: »
    Don't buy a car without a V5C!

https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk

especially if that's really true about not sending export certs any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

pawelba wrote: »
    Bought a car on auction in UK without v5, DVLA used to send cert of permanent export which was enough to register the car here. They stopped doing that on 14th of Jan 2019. So if the car has neither v5 nor the cert, is there any way to vrt it?
    Can apply for v5 replacement giving them my friend's uk address? Or if the car is in ireland already it won't work?

How do you know they owned it if you didn't see the V5 ??

Even if you did see it, you still need it with you. The amount of people who let the seller 'send it to the DVLC first' boggles : does no-one read anything anymore? It actually says it on it.

And the sellers are equally uninformed.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pawelba

buying and selling for last few years. most of the cars from auctions do not have v5 as they are destroyed by insurance companies. up to 14.01.19 you could get cert of export.
    now - you can apply for replacement v5 but you need uk address.
    i was wondering if anybody has done it already or if there is any other way to register it here?

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    How do you know they owned it if you didn't see the V5 ??

You still don't know they owned it. The name on the V5C is the "keeper", the one they send the fines to, not necessarily the legal owner, which could be a finance co or other.

Either way, the current procedure is what it is. Either you work with that, or give up.

There are ways of registering an unregistered vehicle, but the procedure is a complete ball-ache compared to just have a vehicle registration certificate from another country to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

macplaxton wrote: »
    You still don't know they owned it. The name on the V5C is the "keeper", the one they send the fines to, not necessarily the legal owner, which could be a finance co or other.

Either way, the current procedure is what it is. Either you work with that, or give up.

There are ways of registering an unregistered vehicle, but the procedure is a complete ball-ache compared to just have a vehicle registration certificate from another country to hand.

True, but importing aside, a car without paperwork is...........a paperweight. Or boat anchor.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from a thread about VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Vladp

Is NIreland address any good?

NI address is good with the DVLA,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

In a similar situation .. is new v5 to uk address only option..? or is there an understanding vrt person?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 smc1993

hi I am in similar situation I bought a car but didn't know I had to take the vc5 form so the seller sent it to DVLA Swansea and they still have not sent me out anything will they send me any sort of proof of ownership or does anyone know what I have to do to get new log book its causing me a lot of hassle at min and cant seem to get a answer anywhere any advice will help ? is there any way to get the car's VRT done ??

smc1993 wrote: »
    hi I am in similar situation I bought a car but didn't know I had to take the vc5 form so the seller sent it to DVLA Swansea and they still have not sent me out anything will they send me any sort of proof of ownership or does anyone know what I have to do to get new log book its causing me a lot of hassle at min and cant seem to get a answer anywhere any advice will help ? is there any way to get the car's VRT done ??

They won't send a new one out to an Irish address. If you contact them, they might send the old one to you, if they can trace it. You are probably looking at penalties for late VRT payment as I doubt it's a quick process. I know of no other way to do it as they no longer send out Certs of Export.

Swansea say it is up to the country the car is exported to . to get a new book.. they obviously never dealt with vrt office here ,, An Ni or Gb Address is most likely an easy way to go but takes up to 6 weeks costs 25 stg on dvla web site .

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mikehn

Just a thought, if one registered with Parcel Motel they would then have a Northern Ireland address. Obtain their replacement V5 as EG John Smith pm 123456. The car owner collects their envelope from their PM locker. Happy days. V5 in hand with northern Ireland address and now transfers it to spouse/ self with southern address.:D

was about to post / try that ..

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

I was just about to suggest the PM address or An Post Addresspal as a work around the UK address issue

I suspect that they won't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭type85

Just use the V561 form and send it or fax it to Swansea as normal. It still works. I sent one in Feb and received the permanent export certificate 5 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

thank you type 85, i just rang Swansea after six weeks, which their recording had suggested it takes, they had not even received my letter(their system would have logged it on arrival)

was about to do the same again(apply from N.I) and saw your note, i see it took five weeks, the N.I. route is six hmmmm, now the question is, were you lucky

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The cert of permanent export process no longer exists.

i sent form to Swansey not in a hurry so try easy way first ,, but they did say on phone that they stopped sending them

Swansey replied that they no longer issue export certs and up to the country car is imported to.. I think i will try parcel motel .

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Batman1irish

What ever any one does do not try send off for the export form as the put the car done as been exported from uk /ni so no hope in getting a replacement v5 mistake I made.if haven of done that if you know anyone in Uk or north get a v62 form and 25 pound post order and send it to the address you have in new name and get them to send it to you when arrives they can send in the slip on the side to dvla to say car was exported and you have the full v5 to vrt it. Now we’re I’m stuck cause iv notified dvla and the car is down as exported from uk so would need to be registered over there again witch wouldn’t be hard if you lived there.can anyone help with ideas even for someone up the north to buy the car or a deal off something.madness illegal to charge vrt but they can’t do anything for me when wanting to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

As regards sending the cert to the An Post depot in London i have had stuff delivered to me where the sender had omitted the AP23C number but the parcel still arrived so to me it looks like they have you on file in the depot. Leaving the post office number out might make it less noticeable to the DVLA

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dexterd

hi, i am in the same situation with a car, bought from auction and didnt realise there was no v5, whats best way around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

I applied for a v5 from a northern address. got it in under six weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dexterd

rugbyman wrote: »
    I applied for a v5 from a northern address. got it in under six weeks

Thank you very much, I will do the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭jlow1

@pawelba did you get this sorted in the end?
    Can PM me if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Lemonheadlenny

What ever any one does do not try send off for the export form as the put the car done as been exported from uk /ni so no hope in getting a replacement v5 mistake I made.if haven of done that if you know anyone in Uk or north get a v62 form and 25 pound post order and send it to the address you have in new name and get them to send it to you when arrives they can send in the slip on the side to dvla to say car was exported and you have the full v5 to vrt it. Now we’re I’m stuck cause iv notified dvla and the car is down as exported from uk so would need to be registered over there again witch wouldn’t be hard if you lived there.can anyone help with ideas even for someone up the north to buy the car or a deal off something.madness illegal to charge vrt but they can’t do anything for me when wanting to pay

Any chance I could call you about this? Garage I bought from in Scotland reported car exported and the V5C has now been lost (although I have scanned copy- useless apparently!)

Does this mean that I cannot use the V62 to get a new V5C? I have a sister living in Edinburgh...

at my wits' end.....

Help from anyone else greatly appreciated...

Advertisement