Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin - Significant reduction in rents coming?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

2006 is to house prices as 2019 is to rent prices.
    Landlord will be calling it the “good ole days” for years to come (bar those with bad tenants)

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/the-owner-saw-five-of-us-in-a-line-to-rent-his-house-and-upped-the-price-by-500-39416434.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Smouse156 wrote: »
    Landlord will be calling it the “good ole days” for years to come (bar those with bad tenants)

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/the-owner-saw-five-of-us-in-a-line-to-rent-his-house-and-upped-the-price-by-500-39416434.html

You could be right, we may not see rental prices like that again for a while. But there are many variables/unknowns at the moment. What will demand be like when colleges reopen for physical attendance and workers are back in their offices? And what effect will the decrease in property build completions/LLs selling up have on supply when demand increases? No one knows right now, but as always, if demand outstrips supply, prices will rise. I think it is pointless basing anything on current advertisements, few people are moving, lots of workers have left rentals and gone home, no students and no leases being terminated by LLs, all these are likely to change as soon as it is safe to reopen fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

The increase supply of rental from short term to long term is also only a one-off gain. It wont occur again. Likely some will move back to short term rental as time goes by

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The rental market has always been cyclical as long as I have followed it. The cycles tend to be about 4 years long. It is likely 2019 was the top of the cycle, Covid or no Covid. A softening rental market tends to make some landlords bail out and prospective investors hold back. After a few years of this a shortage develops and rents rise again for a period. A situation where sales are strong and rents weak will cause many landlords to offload.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Has anyone seen changes in prices for house shares? I have not. I still see silly prices going for box rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

ebayissues wrote: »
    Has anyone seen changes in prices for house shares? I have not. I still see silly prices going for box rooms.

Are you seeing these on Daft or on Facebook groups? I follow some of those Facebook rental groups and the activity under the new posts is extremely low so, while the asking prices may be crazy, it doesn't look like they are getting people in as easily.

I presume the new monthly housing report from Daft is still going ahead? If so, it should be published before the end of this week for July.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

AngryLips wrote: »
    This is to be welcomed, anything to increase both supply and quality can only be a good thing ...price drops will follow

At 457K per unit and a total of 317 units I doubt this will result in a cheap rent Nirvana in Dublin. If this trend continues it might put a squeeze on the bottom end of the market where the risk of default is higher, in fairness who will want to invest in this market. The state may or will have to step in acting as a middleman to make up the shortfall, renting off LLs to rent to tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

At 457K per unit and a total of 317 units I doubt this will result in a cheap rent Nirvana in Dublin. If this trend continues it might put a squeeze on the bottom end of the market where the risk of default is higher, in fairness who will want to invest in this market. The state may or will have to step in acting as a middleman to make up the shortfall, renting off LLs to rent to tenants.

317 units is a lot. How else do people think rents will go down if not for supply and demand movements?

317 units is a lot. How else do people think rents will go down if not for supply and demand movements?

8 K LLs left the RTB register in the 12 months to 01/20. 317 doesn't knock a lot of that number and many people think that The figure for this year will be much higher. Demand will have to drop faster than fall in supply for rents to fall.

One potential benefit of LLs getting out is that LLs may be of mind to sell rather than leave vacant if the government was to provide funding to the LAs, the irony is that like any other potential customer they will want the premises unoccupied.

8 K LLs left the RTB register in the 12 months to 01/20.

Yea, and the number of tenancies grew by 3k in the following quarter. These changes from quarter to quarter are not indicative of anything unless there is a persistent trend. They are partly structural and cyclical so to dismiss 300+ properties coming to market is absurd. It is adding to the rental housing stock and solving the problem in a way that one-off landlords couldn't achieve on their own. I don't really understand how anyone can depict this as anything less than a win for the rental market unless you happen to be a landlord yourself. If there's any other solution, I'd love to hear it.

• Advertisement

Yea, and the number of tenancies grew by 3k in the following quarter. These changes from quarter to quarter are not indicative of anything unless there is a persistent trend. They are partly structural and cyclical so to dismiss 300+ properties coming to market is absurd. It is adding to the rental housing stock and solving the problem in a way that one-off landlords couldn't achieve on their own. I don't really understand how anyone can depict this as anything less than a win for the rental market unless you happen to be a landlord yourself. If there's any other solution, I'd love to hear it.

The figure I quoted is for a 12 month period and it's from the RTB, the RTB also gives a 18K net loss for the period 2017/18/19 period. The RTB are concerned about the lots of LLs and have asked for funding to survey the ex LLs to discover their reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The figure I quoted is for a 12 month period and it's from the RTB, the RTB also gives a 18K net loss for the period 2017/18/19 period. The RTB are concerned about the lots of LLs and have asked for funding to survey the ex LLs to discover their reasons.

As if they dont know :)

Funding to create a survey to make it look like its not a problem at all more like. Like the way they change how they report every year to hide the numbers leaving. HAve they run out of ways to prop up their stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Why is it a problem if landlords sell up and leave the market? That’s landlords choosing to forgo their property being paid for and profits every month as the hassle is too great.

But why should this concern any tenant or greater society?

Beigepaint wrote: »
    Why is it a problem if landlords sell up and leave the market? That’s landlords choosing to forgo their property being paid for and profits every month as the hassle is too great.

Fewer landlords due to existing ones leaving and fewer small investors buying = Reduced supply = Higher rents = Tenants unable to pay = Increase in homelessness. It’s been in the news a lot over the past couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Dav010 wrote:
    Fewer landlords due to existing ones leaving and fewer small investors buying = Reduced supply = Higher rents = Tenants unable to pay = Increase in homelessness. It’s been in the news a lot over the past couple of years.

So buildings disappear when landlords leave the market, that's interesting! But to be fair, being a landlord seems like a lot of hassle at the moment

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    So buildings disappear when landlords leave the market, that's interesting! But to be fair, being a landlord seems like a lot of hassle at the moment

Buildings don’t disappear when landlords leave the rental market, but the building does tend to leave the rental market. Another poster quoted RTB stats which indicate reduced numbers of tenancies, so it seems that as landlords leave the market by selling or moving to short lets, they are not being replaced.

In responce to the previous poster, that affects the tenant who is being evicted and lowers supply.

The trend in Ireland is moving toward institutionals which further reduces competition in general and lets at the lower end of the market. What is good for investors is not necessarily good for renters.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/state-s-biggest-landlord-records-30-rise-in-rental-income-1.4324509?mode=amp

JimmyVik wrote: »
    As if they dont know :)

Funding to create a survey to make it look like its not a problem at all more like. Like the way they change how they report every year to hide the numbers leaving. HAve they run out of ways to prop up their stats?

In fairness, they do seem concerned, without such a survey, SF can claim that the sole reason for the exodus is LLs finally escaping negative equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

In fairness, they do seem concerned, without such a survey, SF can claim that the sole reason for the exodus is LLs finally escaping negative equity.

Wonder how many millions in funding they need for the survey and how many months it'll take.

The trend in Ireland is moving toward institutionals which further reduces competition in general and lets at the lower end of the market. What is good for investors is not necessarily good for renters.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/state-s-biggest-landlord-records-30-rise-in-rental-income-1.4324509?mode=amp

I doubt they are interested in investing in smaller towns or in one off units.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    I doubt they are interested in investing in smaller towns or in one off units.

Given the level of tax exempt fleecing they’ve been at in the last few years I think they’ll swoop anything which will further their pillaging goals. Irish people should work just to pay 50% of their income in rent and be happy about it. Our government definitely promote this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Given the level of tax exempt fleecing they’ve been at in the last few years I think they’ll swoop anything which will further their pillaging goals.

LOL, they own large blocks in cities.

They are uninterested in semi-ds and 100 year old old terraced houses that are the typical rentals scattered about in small places like my home town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Beigepaint wrote: »

The landlords knocks on the tenants door, tells them hes selling and they have a certain time to GTFO.

LOL, they own large blocks in cities.

They are uninterested in semi-ds and 100 year old old terraced houses that are the typical rentals scattered about in small places like my home town.

My point is only that they will look at anything where they can make a good fleecing. Poor quality sub-standard old buildings will be too costly to make massive cash hence why they favour the cities but don’t be surprised if they branch out in the years ahead

So, in your view, what is the solution for increasing the supply in the housing market?

So, in your view, what is the solution for increasing the supply in the housing market?

build

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭PommieBast

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Wonder how many millions in funding they need for the survey and how many months it'll take.
    If they get someone like Survation or NOP to do it the cost should be something like €25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

My point is only that they will look at anything where they can make a good fleecing. Poor quality sub-standard old buildings will be too costly to make massive cash hence why they favour the cities but don’t be surprised if they branch out in the years ahead

You are right - entrance of institutional investors into the single family home rental market was one of the huge changes in the US after the financial crisis: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/02/single-family-landlords-wall-street/582394/

lcwill wrote: »
    You are right - entrance of institutional investors into the single family home rental market was one of the huge changes in the US after the financial crisis: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/02/single-family-landlords-wall-street/582394/

... and monoplisation of critical markets is always a good thing.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If they could get an entire estate of old buildings- that they could upgrade in one foul swoop- I think they'd go for it.

The bigger issue for institutional investors more so than anything else- is scale.
    It makes no sense whatsoever to have individual units, or very small clusters of units- from a logistical and management perspective, these type units are simply too complex on a day to day basis for them to manage.

What they want is scale- be it large housing estates (look at what has happened in Maynooth and Leixlip with Cairn for example)- or the multitude of MUDs around Dublin/Cork/Galway that have been proliferating.

Driving small scale landlords of 1-2-3 units out of the market- drives ye 2-3-4 bed semi-d in urbanville out of the rental mix- and pushes prospective tenants into large scale developments where *everyone* is renting (look at how Cairn cancelled all the private sales in Maynooth and returned deposits to the annoyance of prospective buyers)- even looking at the leafy suburbs- such as Maynooth- is creating rental ghettos where there simply are no owner occupiers.

This is what people are pushing for- whether they realise it or not- and the large scale institutional investors- are faceless entities who simply won't care about personal circumstances- unlike the private landlords- many of whom are approachable and willing to go the extra mile (notwithstanding the couple of complete stronzos).

If you want large scale rental estates- you're going down that road.........

Advertisement