Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bought a car on auction in UK without v5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Esel wrote: »
    Yes, but they don't even need the export slip. A letter from them to state car exported is enough. Let them have the slip if it keeps them happy.

Clarify this with them in advance by providing the link that details the procedure to avoid any snags on the day you are doing the deal.

Thanks for that, I've bought a few cars in the past from NI and the uk but in each case they were dealers who knew the story and just gave me the whole form. This is a private sale and the current owners want to do everything by the book so definitely want to hold on to the export section of the logbook. I'd already sent them a link explaining what I need and they've told me they won't do anything with it until I call up to collect it but then they want to send off the export section themselves.
    I assume they're worried I won't re register it and continue driving it in their name.
    Once I know it's not a problem I'll let them have it, they're being pretty good about everything else and nice people to deal with.
    Thanks again for the advice, it's a while since I last did it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Well the advice over export slips has varied over the years from yes we want a slip back, to no a letter will do. It doesn't really matter as long as they are notified in some way.

However, the current procedure is at the bottom of this page: https://www.gov.uk/responsibilities-selling-vehicle
    Taking the vehicle abroad and registering it there
    1. Fill in the ‘permanent export’ section of your vehicle log book.
    2. Send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD. Include a letter giving the buyer’s name and address.
    3. Give the rest of your log book to the buyer - they’ll need it to register the vehicle in the country they’re going to.

You’ll usually get a refund on your vehicle tax in 4 to 6 weeks. The refund is worked out from the date DVLA gets your ‘permanent export’ section.

You don't need the whole 2-page V5C either, the second page is just slips. The first A4 sheet is fine - the one that has all the vehicle details on.

Front of the first sheet:
    v5c1.jpg

Rear of the first sheet:
    v5c2.jpg

Current red ones no longer show the previous recorded keeper (GDPR nonsense). I think the older blue ones are still valid (but watch out for dodgy ones) and the really old pre-V5C documents (V5 Vehicle Regsitration Document - not EU-friendly V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate) are no longer valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

macplaxton wrote: »
    Well the advice over export slips has varied over the years from yes we want a slip back, to no a letter will do. It doesn't really matter as long as they are notified in some way.

However, the current procedure is at the bottom of this page: https://www.gov.uk/responsibilities-selling-vehicle

You don't need the whole 2-page V5C either, the second page is just slips. The first A4 sheet is fine - the one that has all the vehicle details on.

Front of the first sheet:
    v5c1.jpg

Rear of the first sheet:
    v5c2.jpg

Current red ones no longer show the previous recorded keeper (GDPR nonsense). I think the older blue ones are still valid (but watch out for dodgy ones) and the really old pre-V5C documents (V5 Vehicle Regsitration Document - not EU-friendly V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate) are no longer valid.

Thanks for the link and the two pics, very helpful and clear. In our case the V5 looks fine it shows the date they acquired it and the previous owner so not the latest post-GDPR version.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Hi All
    Firstly apologies for dragging this up again ! I have fallen into this trap as well. Mine is an old car which got forgotton about. The car came from the UK in 2006 with a V5C - This got destroyed in a house fire. The car itself is here all snug in a garage for the last 14 years

At the time we should have sorted the whole thing but here we are with a non runner UK car - an export marker on the DVLA website and a lost storage area.

Reading this thread makes me feel a little anxious.

My plan of action is
    Get the car ito a driving condition
    I have a good mate in The North who was going to fill in the V62 and get it registered to him but now it looks as if she has to be MOTed and an import form filled.

Just him filling in the V62 and chancing it is probably wishful thinking. He could ring them up and argue that the export marker was a "mistake" but why then did he not register before now ??

This is going to be a complete pain in the backside no doubt but I'm a patient man ...

Bottom line is "Just get the V5C" and save yourself the grief - There is a way out but its painful !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

judging by your name, you like your Yarisii. I'd use it for spares for the others you no doubt have/ will have over the next few years. It sounds like it's a lot of trouble for an old car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 michael36

Lads, I’m in a bit of a similar situation, got a bike last week, private seller, he’s sent off the book, I went to get it vrt’d today and said they cannot do it without the book and said to ring the dvla, the form was filed it for export, will I get anything in the post now or have I to reapply for a new v5?

if it's marked as exported , you'll have to re-register it in the UK somehow, and get a V5C that way. Not going to be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭pancyk

For everyone stuck for V5 docket, and dont have anyone with UK address.
    You can reach out to EMK Transport :

Phone - 0872809481 - 9.30am -6pm
    Email - 9.30am - 6pm
    BEFORE 9.30AM & AFTER 6PM
    Text - 0872809481

the ad says:

EMK TRANSPORT - CAN APPLY NOW FOR CUSTOMERS V5 DOCUMENTS THAT ARE STRUGGLING TO GET THEM POSTED TO THE SOUTH OF IRELAND - THIS CAN BE COMPLETED FOR A FEE OF €150PER V5 APPLICATION.
    CONTACT EMK REGARDING THIS.

found on :

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vehicle-transportation-ire-uk-uk-ire/21500147

good luck

please drop a line if this was helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cav93

pancyk wrote: »
    For everyone stuck for V5 docket, and dont have anyone with UK address.
    You can reach out to EMK Transport :

Phone - 0872809481 - 9.30am -6pm
    Email - 9.30am - 6pm
    BEFORE 9.30AM & AFTER 6PM
    Text - 0872809481

the ad says:

EMK TRANSPORT - CAN APPLY NOW FOR CUSTOMERS V5 DOCUMENTS THAT ARE STRUGGLING TO GET THEM POSTED TO THE SOUTH OF IRELAND - THIS CAN BE COMPLETED FOR A FEE OF €150PER V5 APPLICATION.
    CONTACT EMK REGARDING THIS.

found on :

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vehicle-transportation-ire-uk-uk-ire/21500147

good luck

please drop a line if this was helpful :)

Can I just say the above is a very extortionate amount to pay someone for something that should only cost £25. Surely most people have some mate or family members with a uk or ni address who could help them out. I eventually got mine sorted and vrtd after an anxious wait. Also just to remind people in this situation the vrt are accepting vehicles as owned since the day of presentation to vrt centre only until 31st Aug. After that the old rule comes back of book vrt appointment 7 days after purchase, and have done 28 days after. So just a heads up for anyone that has had a uk vehicle for some time now is your chance

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭steinbock123

cav93 wrote: »
    Can I just say the above is a very extortionate amount to pay someone for something that should only cost £25. Surely most people have some mate or family members with a uk or ni address who could help them out. I eventually got mine sorted and vrtd after an anxious wait. Also just to remind people in this situation the vrt are accepting vehicles as owned since the day of presentation to vrt centre only until 31st Aug. After that the old rule comes back of book vrt appointment 7 days after purchase, and have done 28 days after. So just a heads up for anyone that has had a uk vehicle for some time now is your chance

Does that mean that I can just rock up at the vrt office with no appointment at the moment and they’ll deal with me on the spot?? And also that I won’t need proof of the ferry until 31st August??
    Or am I reading that wrong?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭pancyk

To me extortionate is to pay few thousands @ VRT center's for a piece of paper...
    As you said - most of people will have some mate back in UK to help out, but for those who have nobody up there, 150 wont be to bad - personally i wouldn't give my address to anyone that i dont know for sad 150

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

michael36 wrote: »
    Lads, I’m in a bit of a similar situation, got a bike last week, private seller, he’s sent off the book, I went to get it vrt’d today and said they cannot do it without the book and said to ring the dvla, the form was filed it for export, will I get anything in the post now or have I to reapply for a new v5?

You're not going to get anything from DVLA, and so you won't be able to register it.

Your only option is to re-register it in the UK/NI, and then re-export it all over again. Maybe your seller can accommodate you there, otherwise you'll have to find A Other Way.

Not trying to single you out or be funny or anything, but does no-one read anything anymore ? The process for export from the UK is literally written on the V5 itself. Did neither yourself nor the seller actually look & read it ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Does that mean that I can just rock up at the vrt office with no appointment at the moment and they’ll deal with me on the spot?? And also that I won’t need proof of the ferry until 31st August??

Nope, you can't rock up without an appointment, and I did one lately and it took 2 weeks to get an appointment (Galway)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ciara123mc

Cav93, did you have to insure and MOT in northern Ireland? I'm just off the phone with DVLA and after months of trying to get the car re-registered in the NI and getting my application rejected after 3 months with a generic reply letter they said I have to insure and MOT up north before the car can be reregistered in the UK in order to get a v5 replacement.

Ciara123mc wrote: »
    Cav93, did you have to insure and MOT in northern Ireland? I'm just off the phone with DVLA and after months of trying to get the car re-registered in the NI and getting my application rejected after 3 months with a generic reply letter they said I have to insure and MOT up north before the car can be reregistered in the UK in order to get a v5 replacement.

I don't know about the insurance but if the car is marked as exported you'll need to re-register in the UK and to do this you'll need to MoT it.

I'm not sure how you'll re-import it though if you have no paperwork for it

I was onto the dvla several times so far, each person I was talking to had different things to say, there is a case open about the vehicle, it’s still not processed yet , 2 weeks sent now, I was told there have started sending out the v5 of it is marked for export and name and address is filled out for new owner,said it could take 4 weeks because of the covid , just keep an eye on the post.. but also said that if it was lost in the post, it would have to be re registered up north and mot’d, and vehicle to be brought back up for the process which can take a few days.

On the other hand 150 pounds dosent sound to bad for the v5 from that other vendor, but there is a 4-5 week turn around.

Basically I bought the car private back in may without v5 (silly enough I know) so I immediately filled out the v62 form using friends address, and I would say it took around 8 weeks to come back but I did receive the whole v5. In the meantime I had it insured in the south, insurancedont have an issue with this as they know most people aren't going to have the car registered to themselves until its vrtd. The car already had mot so didnt have that to worry about. Just got vrtd couple of weeks ago and now sorted, without proof of ferry or transportation etc, and still put down the proper date of sale. No extra penalty fees for being over a month which is the protocol until aug 31st.

It worked for me without proof of ferry or transport, but you do need to book an appointment. Basically I've had the car since may and it wasnt an issue with them that I was only doing vrt couple of weeks ago. But it will be after aug 31st, according to vrt website

Isambard wrote: »
    I don't know about the insurance but if the car is marked as exported you'll need to re-register in the UK and to do this you'll need to MoT it.

I'm not sure how you'll re-import it though if you have no paperwork for it

Yeah trying to get it reregistered in the UK has been the problem. They want it insured and MOTed. The car has a valid MOT up until March 2021 but the MOT office won't issue a duplicate because I'm not the registered owner.

Absolute nightmare!

• Advertisement

Basically I bought the car private back in may without v5 (silly enough I know) so I immediately filled out the v62 form using friends address, and I would say it took around 8 weeks to come back but I did receive the whole v5. In the meantime I had it insured in the south, insurancedont have an issue with this as they know most people aren't going to have the car registered to themselves until its vrtd. The car already had mot so didnt have that to worry about. Just got vrtd couple of weeks ago and now sorted, without proof of ferry or transportation etc, and still put down the proper date of sale. No extra penalty fees for being over a month which is the protocol until aug 31st.

Thanks for the response Cav93. My situation is unfortunately more complex!!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Can you Mot a car without any paperwork. ? Considering bringing one of mine up to an auction .as fed up waiting on v5 .. What is procedure do you need appointment ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭birchtree

Hi All, I got myself into the same boat, where the car is marked as exported, and I haven't got the V5. Did anyone manage to get a new one by use of V62 and friend's address in UK after it has been marked as exported? I am also concerned as the car is Cat C, meaning it would need to be MOT'd before it can be registered again in UK, afaik. Then it may turn into similar case as Ciara123mc.

Yeah trying to get it reregistered in the UK has been the problem. They want it insured and MOTed. The car has a valid MOT up until March 2021 but the MOT office won't issue a duplicate because I'm not the registered owner.

Absolute nightmare!

Hi Ciara123mc, was your car Cat C? I wonder if some NI dealer could help? Probably would cost you a fee, but it would be less headache than organizing it all by yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭airnwater

Related query ;

A friend has a 1970s classic car , reasonably valuable UK reg . Has V5 in his name at UK address , misplaced V5 & got replacement , original later turned up. If car is reregistered here & later decide to sell in UK post brexit ,what happens ?

Does V5 surrendered in Ireland for rereg get forwarded to UK ? This results in "export marker" with DVLA ?

If later car returns to UK , will second V5 be ok & cars UK reg stay with car ?

airnwater wrote: »
    Related query ;

A friend has a 1970s classic car , reasonably valuable UK reg . Has V5 in his name at UK address , misplaced V5 & got replacement , original later turned up. If car is reregistered here & later decide to sell in UK post brexit ,what happens ?

Does V5 surrendered in Ireland for rereg get forwarded to UK ? This results in "export marker" with DVLA ?

In most countries, the car needs to be taken off registration list before it is exported. But not UK, hence it is quite possible that it remains in UK registry, but don't quote me. I remember seeing a section in DVLA website for scenarios when a car returns to UK, have a browse there. I don't think anyone knows what will happen after brexit.

airnwater wrote: »
    Related query ;

If you are thinking of that valuable registration number, it would only be transferable on an MoT'd car . He should place the number on retention before re-registering

• Registered Users Posts: 16 I am

The NI dealer only gave me Section 10 and 11 - New Keeper and Export slip of the V5C so I have to apply for the full V5c with reason Lost/stolen. I only found this out at my VRT appointment in the ROI.

Has anyone successfully tried using a Parcel Motel address on the V62 form? I could use a friend's NI address either but will their name be an issue when it comes to the VRT? Also is it suspsicous that he only gave me those 2 sections of the V5c?

Isambard wrote: »
    If you are thinking of that valuable registration number, it would only be transferable on an MoT'd car . He should place the number on retention before re-registering

Oh yeah, got caught with that myself. The cherished UK number sits on my wall now and I couldn't flog it on due to that.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

i imported a car with 128p in it's number and an MoT and offered it free to a Fiat 128p owner who ummed and ahed about it so long that the MoT expired.

Advertisement