Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Circular Number: 0037/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

ngunners wrote: »
    Half way through the video now (played at 1.5 speed). It’s basically just a rehash of the guidelines. Did I miss something or does it provide no added value?

You missed the bit where we said not to watch it for that reason :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

km79 wrote: »
    You missed the bit where we said not to watch it for that reason :D

I heard if you play it backwards you hear messages from senior sources...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭Treppen

If you get a particularly strong year with high marks and it differs from previous LC grades, DES will look for the trend at JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

scrubs33 wrote: »
    I heard if you play it backwards you hear messages from senior sources...

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Treppen wrote: »
    If you get a particularly strong year with high marks and it differs from previous LC grades, DES will look for the trend at JC.

But sure there is a disconnect between JC and LC. It was always there-the gap but now bigger. Plus the first few years of any new Exam-they marked it easier.
    I look back at LC kids Jc results and I suspect the examiner was given LSD.
    I look forward to the lowering of levels at LC !

Please Dont look for Logic or rationality in this System. For English-you can guess they might get over 55 but you have no real ideas how far they will get beyond that. Patricularly in Ord level and schools where attendance is quite irregular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

The document allows for somebody to be given a job (paid but rates not specified) to help principal with process. In reality I'd say forms will be handed to secretary to punch them in
    is this meant to be advertised amongst staff? We were just told who was doing it. Principal's best but and all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

is this meant to be advertised amongst staff? We were just told who was doing it. Principal's best but and all

Not sure, if it was advertised it wud go to the same person anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

To avoid disappointment, just in case, the video is not in fact great. It's a waste of time.

I'm really tempted to put it up on Rotten tomatoes and give it a critical review.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

Has anybody heard of how schools are to deal with an external candidate who was registered to sit a subject in your school? Technically they aren't enrolled so would it still be acceptable to fill out a Form C for them?

LW2018 wrote: »
    Has anybody heard of how schools are to deal with an external candidate who was registered to sit a subject in your school? Technically they aren't enrolled so would it still be acceptable to fill out a Form C for them?

I suppose it depends on whether or not they have a teacher teaching them that subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

I suppose it depends on whether or not they have a teacher teaching them that subject.

In this case they do, they just are not listed as one of our enrolled students - but it might align through the Portal system once they have registered for calculated grades. It is just the query of the school signing off on an external candidate being tutored by a registered teacher that is not in our school...

LW2018 wrote: »
    In this case they do, they just are not listed as one of our enrolled students - but it might align through the Portal system once they have registered for calculated grades. It is just the query of the school signing off on an external candidate being tutored by a registered teacher that is not in our school...

I presume that's something for the principal to check with the DES.

My gut feeling is that if the DES were to assign them to your school for the purposes of putting them somewhere, then they are going to have their own Form A and C, and also external candidates usually have exam numbers in their own range, so it would be clear that they don't form part of the normal cohort of Leaving Certs within the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

I've all my grades figured out. But because my school has heavily streamed classes I have loads of bunching. To give an example and just an example as I want to keep it vague on a public forum, 4 or 5 at 65% Another 4 or 5 at 68% That sort of thing.

What do I do there? Just use the decimal points to separate them? They really are steps of stairs which is pretty much what you would expect in a streamed class. You'd have a few a good bit ahead of the posse and a few behind but mainly steps of stairs.

I would imagine that the real fun starts at these SAG meetings, though a good bit of that is box ticking. Still, it will be awful if we have to knock students down just to satisfy a bloody curve.

It's a horrible position to be in. Not a workload heavy task as most of our tasks are. But not a nice task.:(

acequion wrote: »
    I've all my grades figured out. But because my school has heavily streamed classes I have loads of bunching. To give an example and just an example as I want to keep it vague on a public forum, 4 or 5 at 65% Another 4 or 5 at 68% That sort of thing.

What do I do there? Just use the decimal points to separate them? They really are steps of stairs which is pretty much what you would expect in a streamed class. You'd have a few a good bit ahead of the posse and a few behind but mainly steps of stairs.

I would imagine that the real fun starts at these SAG meetings, though a good bit of that is box ticking. Still, it will be awful if we have to knock students down just to satisfy a bloody curve.

It's a horrible position to be in. Not a workload heavy task as most of our tasks are. But not a nice task.:(

I think 'satisfying the curve' won't come into play unless they are out of whack with previous years.
    Even if they are out of whack you just got to let the cards fall where they may and the DES can do the dirty work. The students in front of you get your predicted grade based on themselves and not what others got in previous years. Each case on its on merits. If you don't want to knock students down at SAG meetings then hold firm.

Can anyone explain the logic of giving an exact percentage (with decimal places!) ... As opposed to a grade banding?
    After all, when students traditionally get their results it's just bands ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The only time I've seen the exact percentage used was in the PAC application for teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Can anyone explain the logic of giving an exact percentage (with decimal places!) ... As opposed to a grade banding?
    After all, when students traditionally get their results it's just bands ?

I'm guessing its so you can give a clear ranking of your students. If the DES end up adjusting your grades it'll be obvious which ones they'll pull down.

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    I'm guessing its so you can give a clear ranking of your students. If the DES end up adjusting your grades it'll be obvious which ones they'll pull down.

I think it makes it more complicated.
    Why not just let them go by grades and then let the CAO process sort it out. It's the same outcome anyway. A lottery could take care of multiple points that are similar (like it always did).
    If the DES are expecting us to use our professional judgement down to an exact percentage... With decimals... Then they're *******ing all over it by adjusting it to such an extent where you might have someone on a H2 borderline H1 but the DES have to drop them to H3 to keep in line with some other year.

That's a full 10% that they've decided you were incorrect in giving , who is making the professional judgement on the student's grade then, you or the DES?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

FFS... the dept just released a supplement to the guidance already issued.... STOP MOVING THE GOAL POSTS!!! How the hell are we meant to get this work done if they keep ever so slightly muddying the waters by tweaking and changing our guidance?I'm so bloody sick of this rubbish.

Guidance attached below:

• Advertisement

Guidance attached below:

Reminding us of our bias and mansplaning it . another vote of confidence in teachers.

Reminding us of our bias and mansplaning it . another vote of confidence in teachers.

You put that so much more politely than I could. The utter contempt our profession is held in is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ngunners

Surely this is just regular 'explaining' rather than 'mansplaining'. I agree with the rest of your post though.

Horns and halos
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭KaiserLu

Having a nightmare with my Form B. On Rank 19 it won't let me edit and put in the calculated grade. Anyone else having the same issue? I'm using Adobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Using Excel and finding it ok. So far!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

KaiserLu wrote: »
    Having a nightmare with my Form B. On Rank 19 it won't let me edit and put in the calculated grade. Anyone else having the same issue? I'm using Adobe.

Use a pen?

Grueller wrote: »
    Use a pen?

Are you providing us with the printers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭derb12

KaiserLu wrote: »

I haven't done it yet, but a colleague warned us about an error on row 19.
    I guess the DES tested the first 18 rows and reckoned that should hold!
    I haven't heard of a workaround.

• Advertisement

derb12 wrote: »
    I haven't done it yet, but a colleague warned us about an error on row 19.
    I guess the DES tested the first 18 rows and reckoned that should hold!
    I haven't heard of a workaround.

Well if that doesn’t sum up the whole process nothing does!
    It’s a pity our pupil teacher ratio isn’t as low as in the oft mentioned Denmark and then row 18 wouldn’t matter .......

Advertisement