Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens Jacket advice

• 06-05-2020 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm looking at some Barbour jackets on sale at house of fraser. Extra 20 percent off for May so they're coming in well priced.

Looking at this one which is coming in at about £95
    https://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/brand/barbour-international/b-int-gresham-jkt-sn02-609641#colcode=60964103

And this one at about £90
    https://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/brand/barbour-international/station-jacket-661726

I'm a bit clueless when comes to buying clothes so great of anyone had advice on buying a Barbour. The first is is cotton, while the second one is polystyrene. Am I right in thinking the Polystyrene will be more waterproof.

Neither of these jackets are waxed as I'd be buying more for casual wear than outdoor wear - but not sure if they are both waterproof regardless. Thought I'd avoid a waxed Barbour as they'd be a bit if a nuisance to maintain...or is that right?

Any tips appreciated including links to any similar/other jackets people might recommend.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Links not working

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

Oh cheers, links updated, hopefully working now.

First one is Barbour International Gresham; Second one is Barbour International Station.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Is it the brand you like, or the style of the jackets?

Casual jackets come in so many styles its difficult for anyone to guide you really. I love Allsaints jackets and would recommend them, but theyre very different in style to those.

Gant make similar jackets to those I think, and there is a UK brand called Peregrine that Ive looked at before, Ive seen them at TK Maxx and on Amazon. Example below, but you can get them much cheaper.

https://www.peregrineclothing.co.uk/mens/jackets/bexley-jacket

Cheers.

Yeah I like the style of the two I linked, but not set in stone on those either! Just looking for casual dark jacket to wear with tshirt/shirt/jumper and jeans I guess. Previously would have gone for a bomber style a lot of the time.....

I've never had a barbour jacket but hear they're decent quality and long lasting....

Peregrine one is lovely, but bit expensive at that price as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Ted Baker do very nice casual jackets too. Farah as well, and they'd be cheaper. TK Maxx is worth a look, you can shop online off their UK website which saves fluting around in the shop.

The ones in your links seem to be priced well for the brand though, you'll probably pay more for any of the brands in that range.

• Advertisement

Cheers!

I'm based in UK at the moment so makes it easier with Uk sites!

Will check out the TKMaxx site. I'd found it harder to find decent stuff in their stores in recent years, so being able to see what they have online would be a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

petros1980 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm looking at some Barbour jackets on sale at house of fraser. Extra 20 percent off for May so they're coming in well priced.

https://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/brand/barbour-international/b-int-gresham-jkt-sn02-609641#colcode=60964103

https://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/brand/barbour-international/station-jacket-661726

I'm a bit clueless when comes to buying clothes so great of anyone had advice on buying a Barbour. The first is is cotton, while the second one is polystyrene. Am I right in thinking the Polystyrene will be more waterproof.

Neither of these jackets are waxed as I'd be buying more for casual wear than outdoor wear - but not sure if they are both waterproof regardless. Thought I'd avoid a waxed Barbour as they'd be a bit if a nuisance to maintain...or is that right?

Any tips appreciated including links to any similar/other jackets people might recommend.

Cheers!

If you wear either of those in the rain you're going to get wet.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

If you wear either of those in the rain you're going to get wet.

Ok right haha,thanks, I'd thought they would have been at least a bit showerproof i.e. would be grand if got caught in a bit of rain on way to the pub....

What's the story with the waxed jackets then - are they a pain to keep in shape? or handy enough? and do they look very shiny if you know what I mean.

I know I could normally go and look at them in the shop but not at moment :pac:

Ok right haha,thanks, I'd thought they would have been at least a bit showerproof i.e. would be grand if got caught in a bit of rain on way to the pub....

What's the story with the waxed jackets then - are they a pain to keep in shape? or handy enough? and do they look very shiny if you know what I mean.

I know I could normally go and look at them in the shop but not at moment :pac:

I'm not trying to be smart but if you have any doubts about how they are going to look on you they're probably best avoided. They are a very practical jacket for the rain but like every piece of clothing you should know you're going to feel comfortable in it before you buy it. They'll last for years and you can prolong the life by re waxing it if you use it a lot in heavy rain.

What about a NorthFace jacket? They have a lot of styles and a lot of them are waterproof.

If a jacket doesn't mention it is waterproof or at least water resistant you're going to get wet in it if it rains any heavier than a light shower.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

If I'm buying a wax Jacket I usually buy a Bellstaff wax Jacket, they're really good.
    Actually a vintage one even better as they are better looking worn and battered then rewaxed again they look classy..I've 4 Bellstaff the biker one's my favourite almost stab proof...

Barbour are ok but since every one has one and like the North Face jackets as common as muck now.

Patagonia do nice jackets and they're not as naff as North Face..

• Advertisement

Have a look at the Deerhunter range if you want waterproof, I do a bit of hunting and fishing and I would recommend the brand if you want to stay dry and comfortable in the worst of Irish weather.

They do some plain colours as well as the usual camouflage range, this crowd lakelandtoysandhobbies on ebay are the best value I've found by a country mile, the Avanti range is very soft and comfortable. You might get very lucky depending on your size.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deerhunter-Gamekeeper-Bonded-Fleece-Jacket-waterproof-Hunting-Shooting-RRP-99-99/112938013495?hash=item1a4ba15337:m:m6JSM9TxWKd5omjWyaT9k5Q

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Hi there,

Cheers!

I think they're both very nice, but as you say buy for casual wear. They sadly won't stand up to much in a bit of bad weather. The Gresham isn't listed on the Barbour site under their waxed section so I don't know if it can be waxed at all? I think I slightly prefer the Gresham, it would be lovely with slim jeans and boots.

A lot of the the well waterproofed jackets would be more designed for autumn/winter, and would be very insulated so not great for the spring/summer months, so you might be looking for two different things really? One for a night out, date night, wear to the pub, and a nice waterproof one for day wear, work, day out at a match or something.

Tog24 has some nice styles for rain and cold https://www.tog24.com/collections/mens-jackets-and-coats

Twee. wrote: »
    I think they're both very nice, but as you say buy for casual wear. They sadly won't stand up to much in a bit of bad weather. The Gresham isn't listed on the Barbour site under their waxed section so I don't know if it can be waxed at all? I think I slightly prefer the Gresham, it would be lovely with slim jeans and boots.

A lot of the the well waterproofed jackets would be more designed for autumn/winter, and would be very insulated so not great for the spring/summer months, so you might be looking for two different things really? One for a night out, date night, wear to the pub, and a nice waterproof one for day wear, work, day out at a match or something.

Tog24 has some nice styles for rain and cold https://www.tog24.com/collections/mens-jackets-and-coats

Thanks a lot!

nthclare wrote: »
    If I'm buying a wax Jacket I usually buy a Bellstaff wax Jacket, they're really good.
    Actually a vintage one even better as they are better looking worn and battered then rewaxed again they look classy..I've 4 Bellstaff the biker one's my favourite almost stab proof...

Barbour are ok but since every one has one and like the North Face jackets as common as muck now.

Patagonia do nice jackets and they're not as naff as North Face..

Thank you. Have been looking through some Belstaff. They're really nice...

I've bitten the bullet and bought the Barbour Gresham
    https://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/brand/barbour-international/b-int-gresham-jkt-sn02-609641?utm_source=rakuten&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=Skimlinks.com&utm_content=10&utm_term=2116208&ranMID=43869&ranEAID=TnL5HPStwNw&ranSiteID=TnL5HPStwNw-QKS5LsS66CSInvyevWfMng#colcode=60964103

But as a lot of you have recommended may need to get another one for rainy afternoons..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm not sure I've met a wax jacket that didn't smell rank after a short period of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Why not get a nice leather jacket. You won't notice wind and will keep you dry in the rain.

listermint wrote: »
    I'm not sure I've met a wax jacket that didn't smell rank after a short period of ownership.

Really - i didn't think they'd be like that. Ok good to know. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mdudy

Barbour wax jackets are great. Not a pain to maintain. Last for decades. Great customer service too - you can re-wax it yourself or they can do it; they'll also patch them up as well.

Advertisement