Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Wow Faith, that really is something! :eek: (I am stunned!)

Excellent advice, thank you greatly!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

If it helps I got rid of most of this type advertising by clicking on the top right-hand corner and telling Google to stop showing me the ad from this type of websites. It's very easy to tell them apart, they more or less look the same, badly designed logo and ad, very skinny but proportionate models and extremely cheap prices. After blocking some of them I mostly just get the ads to the clothing websites I visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I do that clicky thing with ads I have no interest in, but the same ads come right back no matter which report I choose. But I shall keep trying, thanks!

and oh that is good to learn too - those ads from similar companies :eek: do look the same! I thought it was just a google ad format, but it can't be - ta (guess I have alot to learn!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Anyone know what's happened with Vila? I noticed their shops in both Balbriggan and Liffey Valley have been closed for about two weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Anyone know what's happened with Vila? I noticed their shops in both Balbriggan and Liffey Valley have been closed for about two weeks now.
    Some of their stores have closed down. But not all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I didn't feel like starting a new thread, so I'll ask here. I'm going to a good friend's wedding in the summer. It's outdoors (weather obliging!) so I want a dress that's summery but dressy. Is this dress too bridesmaid-y? I've completely fallen in love with it but I'm not sure if it's too much.

For reference, the actual bridesmaids are wearing full-length convertible dresses that are kind of pastel blues and purples, so the only commonality would be length.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Faith wrote: »
    I didn't feel like starting a new thread, so I'll ask here. I'm going to a good friend's wedding in the summer. It's outdoors (weather obliging!) so I want a dress that's summery but dressy. Is this dress too bridesmaid-y? I've completely fallen in love with it but I'm not sure if it's too much.

For reference, the actual bridesmaids are wearing full-length convertible dresses that are kind of pastel blues and purples, so the only commonality would be length.

So pretty! I wouldn't consider that too bridesmaidy at all, especially considering it's similar to the actual bridesmaid dresses in neither style nor colour.
    I'd draw the line at carrying a bouquet though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Faith, that dress is gorgeous - very summery colour and not bridemaidsey at all.

My only fear would be the bardot, off-shoulder fit - would it keep slipping down or 'feel' like it's slipping down (given where the sleeves are positioned on the upper arms). Otherwise it is really stunning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Fab dress! Will look beautiful on you! Ditch the bouquet and you’re sorted :)

Thank you! I'll definitely leave out the bouquet :D.

While admiring it, I spotted this one as well, which hadn't come up on my search because my size was out of stock.

482252.png

I'm a 12 and distinctly average height, but I thought I'd take a chance on ordering a 14 tall because it was massively discounted (£22.50, down from £75!). I figured at the very least it would give me a sense of fit and sizing before ordering a full price one. Also, I'm definitely closer to a 14 than a 10 at the moment :o and I have a long torso so dresses often don't hit my natural waist properly. It arrived this morning and it's actually perfect! It's a little big on the chest, but I can easily tape it to myself under the arms, or get it taken in a fraction. It does hit my natural waist perfectly, and it also looks close to full length on me. Finally, it beautifully covers my racerback tan lines that I'm developing from cycling to work :D.

The next question I have, though, is shoes. The dress lends itself to strappy sandals, but an outdoor wedding on grass requires something like a wedge. Has anyone seen anything that might work, or be able to visualise something I can look out for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I didn't know where else to post this.... It seems that O' Neills GAA shorts are fast becoming the hottest piece of clothing this summer, thanks to Paul Mescal and the 'Normal People' series. GUCCI have made a high end version retailing for €550!

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I didn't know where else to post this.... It seems that O' Neills GAA shorts are fast becoming the hottest piece of clothing this summer, thanks to Paul Mescal and the 'Normal People' series. GUCCI have made a high end version retailing for €550!

Link

I've seen a big upsurge in teens and early 20's wearing GAA shorts the past few weeks! Who'd have thought?! Bring back the soft shell O'Neills tracksuit bottoms from the early 00's!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think O'Neill shorts are the same shape for so long that they became fashionable again. Mescal will undoubtedly make them more popular but there were mentions of shorter shorts for men at least since Call Me by Your Name came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'd see someone wearing those and would think Mayo long before I'd think Gucci.

Just wondering if anyone has actually gotten stung by customs yet since Brexit? I'd like to order some clothes from UK websites but don't want to be screwed by customs charges if I go over 150 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Hey, just wondering how do people rate F&F (Tesco) clothing conpared to that of Penneys? A lot of nice stuff in my local Tesco but find their fit of their clothes a bit hit or miss..

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Hey, just wondering how do people rate F&F (Tesco) clothing conpared to that of Penneys? A lot of nice stuff in my local Tesco but find their fit of their clothes a bit hit or miss..

I think the quality is quite good, but in a lot of the stores i ind myself in they dont have/allow trying on which is a pain. (This was prior to covid, obviously at the min i'm a bit more understanding!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

A lot better than Penneys tbh. I really rate their jeans, have a few nice jumpers and cardis from there that have lasted well, their leggings are nice, I almost always buy pyjamas from Tesco now because I just found Penneys PJs wash terribly, they're always out of shape in no time. Good tights too!

Just wondering if anyone has actually gotten stung by customs yet since Brexit? I'd like to order some clothes from UK websites but don't want to be screwed by customs charges if I go over 150 quid.

To answer my own question, yes, I've been stung :mad:. It turns out taxes are charged on the full price of the items, so I bought two dresses at 50% off, but was charged customs for them at full price. The dresses + extortionate shipping cost me just under €150 but I've just gotten a bill for another €50 in customs and an "administration fee".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Oh no :( What site was it? That's so frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I’ve only been caught when using the an post address pal.
    It seems an post are working for revenue now...

I don’t mind paying. I’ve paid in advance with address pal and amazon.
    I just don’t like being treated as an easy target!

Twee. wrote: »
    Oh no :( What site was it? That's so frustrating.

theprettydresscompany.co.uk

They only offered courier delivery with FedEx, which cost something like €18 :eek:. I hummed and hawed for ages whether to take the chance on ordering, because I've been eyeing up the dresses for ages but was put off by delivery charges and the risk of customs. I thought I had circumvented the charges by keeping the order under €150 :(

theprettydresscompany.co.uk

They only offered courier delivery with FedEx, which cost something like €18 :eek:. I hummed and hawed for ages whether to take the chance on ordering, because I've been eyeing up the dresses for ages but was put off by delivery charges and the risk of customs. I thought I had circumvented the charges by keeping the order under €150 :(

Customs can be charged to any order valued over €22.

I got stung by an amazon nappy bag I got as a present for an expecting friend.
    I was raging.

Customs can be charged to any order valued over €22.

I got stung by an amazon nappy bag I got as a present for an expecting friend.
    I was raging.

And actually I just read that that €22 exemption is being removed shortly too! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Anyone find since the reopening that Penneys' sizing is gone completely mental? I havent put on any weight, I have a couple of shorts from penneys I got a couple years ago in a size 12 that still fit like a dream on me. In need of new shorts for the summer and picked out a few the other day. Size 12s in denim shorts dont even come up past my hips, I actually cannot get them on. Tried a size 14 in denim mom shorts and they wouldnt even button. Bought a size 14 in a pair of blue linen shorts and a white pair too, fine around the waist, but really really puffy around the crotch area, and snug on the bum. Urgh. Also bought a pj top and shorts set, pj shorts are grand, but the matching pj tshirt is huge on me. I've said this before on a thread in the fashion forum, but penneys really need to consider opening up their changing rooms already to let people try before they buy. For some people its a huge hassle to go over to the next town to return stuff. As for New Look, a size 12 tshirt will now fit me, but very snugly which I hate, so Im now up to a 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

And actually I just read that that €22 exemption is being removed shortly too! :mad:

You need to ensure that your retailer has taken off the UK vat and charged Irish Vat - retailers such as amazon are doing this so no nasty surprises!

Such a shame as it will rule out a lot!

Can I seek opinions on River Island? I've never really shopped there but they're targetting me heavily on Instagram. What's their sizing and general quality like? Is it worth the price or just over priced fast fashion?

I used to shop there quite a bit. I put it on par with Topshop.

I think its ok quality (on most items) but my issue with RI is that they throw all the trends onto one item and it can be too much. I like their jeans and coats.

I found sizing alright. Fairly true to size from my experience. You're best off looking around the shop and giving the clothes a feel if you can.

Does anyone know where is letting people try on clothes?

I know Arnotts and New look are but just trying to broaden my scope. I need new jeans and I'm sick of returning items!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Born allow access to changing rooms.

Clothes are steamed after being tried on.

Advertisement