Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Prime Day - 13th/14th October 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

MoodeRator wrote: »
    The new Echo Studio is also VERY tempting

That’s currently £118 for prime members. Don’t think it’s going to get cheaper

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hopefully they discount the annual prime membership again this year for prime day. Can anyone recall how much it was last year?

I think it was down from £79 to £59. I wonder if it will be worth getting the annual membership if the UK complete Brexit? Will Amazon UK continue to be the main outlet for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

ablelocks wrote: »
    £59.99 - waiting on it too. I've only ever bought prime on prime day, and was paying the monthly 7.99 for August and Sept.

How much is Prime monthly normally?

I'm only paying £4.99 and I'm not sure why.

I took advantage of that UK student offer where having a university email address gave me free membership for a year. Once that expired, it reverted to 4.99 a month. Is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭bromley52

I took advantage of that UK student offer where having a university email address gave me free membership for a year. Once that expired, it reverted to 4.99 a month. Is that normal?

£4.99 is the student rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

Anyone else get different prices when shipping to Ireland vs Parcel motel address? When I ship to Ireland the product seems to be discounted but when I ship to UK the product is charging the full price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

bromley52 wrote: »
    £4.99 is the student rate.

Ah okay. Well I'm certainly not a student - how long do they tend to leave that rate applied for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ah okay. Well I'm certainly not a student - how long do they tend to leave that rate applied for?

1) don't know
    2) how did you get student status ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Think it depends what you entered in at the time of sign up. They think Im graduating in 2024 so Im getting four years of half price Prime. Anyone can do it with an old university email address, I think there might even be workarounds if you dont have a uni address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chevy69

Zaph wrote: »
    I think it was down from £79 to £59. I wonder if it will be worth getting the annual membership if the UK complete Brexit? Will Amazon UK continue to be the main outlet for Ireland?

I'd be keen to take up any annual offer going as well for Prime but have the same concerns re Brexit. Maybe it'd be better to sign up to any offer for Amazon.de or Amazon.fr Prime? Or will they launch an Amazon.ie portal in case of a no-deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Amazon Prime is coming to Ireland with next-day delivery so any annual offers would be well worth picking up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Chevy69 wrote: »
    I'd be keen to take up any annual offer going as well for Prime but have the same concerns re Brexit. Maybe it'd be better to sign up to any offer for Amazon.de or Amazon.fr Prime? Or will they launch an Amazon.ie portal in case of a no-deal?

Same.

have also heard they're supposed to be launching an Irish site, but presume this wouldn't happen until after Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Amazon Prime is coming to Ireland with next-day delivery so any annual offers would be well worth picking up.

Where did you hear that? Like someone else above, I have the student prime rate so I'm covered anyway, but I'd love to be able to order things without the frequent "can't be delivered to your address" messages.

Not going to detail the thread but they've acquired a large fulfillment centre in Rathcoole and are currently training drivers at the moment, doing trial runs and logistical work.

An Post are also aware of this (they mentioned it in their recent annual update) that Amazon are one of their biggest customers, and they know they're going to be also using their own services, which will take some pressure off the postal system.

In short, Amazon Prime is landing properly in Ireland.
    I'd expect something before Black Friday here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭torrevieja

DubDJ wrote: »
    The fire stick light doesn’t support Dolby Atmos sound and has a different remote with less tv controls. That’s the major difference really.

And pray tell me Dolby Atmos what does that do is it necessary or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Not going to detail the thread but they've acquired a large fulfillment centre in Rathcoole and are currently training drivers at the moment, doing trial runs and logistical work.

An Post are also aware of this (they mentioned it in their recent annual update) that Amazon are one of their biggest customers, and they know they're going to be also using their own services, which will take some pressure off the postal system.

Excellent news, thanks! Maybe next Prime day we will be able to order without having to use Parcel Wizard/Motel or other workarounds for items with lithium ion batteries :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

torrevieja wrote: »
    And pray tell me Dolby Atmos what does that do is it necessary or something

It's high end surround sound, not necessary if you don't have Atmos speakers or aren't planning to set up an Atmos system, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Where did you hear that? Like someone else above, I have the student prime rate so I'm covered anyway, but I'd love to be able to order things without the frequent "can't be delivered to your address" messages.

They are opening a warehouse. I imagine once that is their. They’ll start prime

https://www.fm104.ie/news/fm104-news/amazon-to-open-first-warehouse-in-dublin/
    J

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Is one fulfillment centre going to be able to carry all stock to allow for next day delivery tbiugh, presumably will be selected items. If you've seen the building in Swansea (Wales) you'll know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

bobbyg wrote: »
    Anyone else get different prices when shipping to Ireland vs Parcel motel address? When I ship to Ireland the product seems to be discounted but when I ship to UK the product is charging the full price.

It's the vat difference

Is one fulfillment centre going to be able to carry all stock to allow for next day delivery tbiugh, presumably will be selected items. If you've seen the building in Swansea (Wales) you'll know what I mean.
    Most likely, we'll expect them to stock the majority of the most sought after items, such as those that are in big demand.
    There will be years of data and analytics which would indicate which are 'must-stock' items for Irish customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

It's the vat difference

Cheers, it is a big difference. I was looking at two sound bars that came to £1,080 combined but with the reduced price it was £899. I then signed up to prime for a free month for prime day and now I no longer have the option to ship to Ireland so would have to pay the full price again. Will cancel the prime membership once prime day passes and hopefully the option to ship to Ireland will be there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Most likely, we'll expect them to stock the majority of the most sought after items, such as those that are in big demand.
    There will be years of data and analytics which would indicate which are 'must-stock' items for Irish customers.

Would be good if they allowed collection facilities in various outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Would be good if they allowed collection facilities in various outlets.

If they had their Amazon Lockers here it'd be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Corholio wrote: »
    If they had their Amazon Lockers here it'd be great.
    What is there to stop them buying up parcel motel? And then rebrand the lockers?

Parcel Motel was purchased by UPS around a year ago.
    Not going to happen.

Lockers maybe over the future months and years.
    Baby steps!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Very easy to get prime student used a family members old student id sent a picture and got the free trial, didn't even matter name and gender was different than my prime account!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Any chance of Shark or Dyson cordless being reduced in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Parcel Motel was purchased by UPS around a year ago.
    Not going to happen.

Lockers maybe over the future months and years.
    Baby steps!

I wonder will UPS be able to handle it after UK goes full Brexit after Jan 1st?
    I can see Amazon being able to come to an arrangement with the Irish Customs and VAT people to collect the duty and VAT for them, since Amazon control the whole transaction from ordering to delivery, and can wrap it all up in your costs at point of ordering. But how will the ParcelMotel/UPS depot handle parcels with non-existent invoices or dodgy claims to be "gifts", then contact you to get the OK to charge you for VAT, duty etc? As far as I can see if the UK goes out of the EU without a tight free trade agreement, the ParcelMotel business model is fubar-ed, as are AddressPal, and all the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Any chance of Shark or Dyson cordless being reduced in this?

Check Dyson's ebay.co.uk outlet page.

They're forever selling "refurbished" units at huge discounts, but they're nearly always brand new units with 2 year warranties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I think so, I did the same as was doing a course at the time, it was free membership for 6 months and reverted to half price for as long as the course continued, you could add up to 4 years I think. If you paid annually, it was even cheaper than 4.99.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement