Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 27,764 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The lads on Digital Foundry are saying that due to the additional benefits of Navi architecture that in order for the Series X to be twice as powerful as the One X then the Series X would need 10TFLPS. So I assume then it's going to be quite a leap in performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

dor83 wrote: »
    It seems to be something that MS specifically implemented and from here it's up to the devs and publishers to choose, so it might be something that Sony need to implement if they want to do it there too(Which I would expect them to do). I have no technical knowledge about this but it looks like it's related to them wanting everything to work with the whole family of devices, all the accessories and first party games will so maybe this is them just letting everyone know that there's no reason for the publisher to charge you twice other than them wanting to.

The Playstation rough equivalent would be Cross-buy - you buy the game and get the PS3, PS4 and Vita (delete on availability) versions. At the last generation change, there were some PS3 cross buy games that, when ported to PS4, included the PS4 version at no extra charge. Thomas Was Alone was one, but there were a few others (like CDPR announcment)

Unfortunately, it's only ever been a small number of games that implemented it, almost all small indie titles, and never any Sony tent pole exclusives. Hopefully the fact Microsoft are going this route will force Sony to follow suit, and have all 1st party games cross-buy on PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I am genuinely excited for generation 9. The Series X is going to be an amazing piece of hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Only 9 payslips away for me! :eek:
    Better start putting some money aside :)

• Advertisement

I won't be buying at launch unless GameStop do a good trade in offer.

Will be the first Xbox I haven't bought straight away but just not playing my X enough at the moment to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭T. Hanks

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I won't be buying at launch unless GameStop do a good trade in offer.

Will be the first Xbox I haven't bought straight away but just not playing my X enough at the moment to justify it.

Madness to adopt this on launch
    One X isn't even that old

People tend to forget about the TV they require if they are to get the maximum benefits from this.
    And not to mention actual games worthy of upgrading and that can push it's usage.
    And also they will all still be great on the One X I'd imagine.

T. Hanks^ wrote: »

People tend to forget about the TV they require if they are to get the maximum benefits from this.
    And not to mention actual games worthy of upgrading and that can push it's usage.

I'll have it hooked up to my monitor at the desk. New 1440p 144hz LG arriving on Wednesday :)

I pay for Game Pass Ultimate anyway as I use it on Xbox and PC at the minute (stacked to the end of 2022 I think) so I won't need to buy games so if GameStop have it available for €200-€250 after trade in it's a relatively small price for a big jump in technology.

I'll be getting the PS5 sometime in 2021 as well. But if a Bloodbourne sequel is a launch title I'll have to buy that straight away :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

what tv? A 4K HDR one? these are surely the standard at this stage.

I was initially slow to commit to a day one purchase, but to be honest, MS have generated nothing but goodwill from me with the stuff they've implemented in relation to gamepass, gamesharing, free upgrades of software, backwards compatibility, X-enhanced versions of older titles.
    And fair enough, the one X isn't that old, but theres still plenty games that perform poorly and could badly do with a power boost (pubg is the easy callout, but you can say similar for the witcher 3 and plenty others).

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

I was initially slow to commit to a day one purchase, but to be honest, MS have generated nothing but goodwill from me with the stuff they've implemented in relation to gamepass, gamesharing, free upgrades of software, backwards compatibility, X-enhanced versions of older titles.
    And fair enough, the one X isn't that old, but theres still plenty games that perform poorly and could badly do with a power boost (pubg is the easy callout, but you can say similar for the witcher 3 and plenty others).

This. Such a stark contrast from the XBox One launch were Don Mattrick was nothing short of a PR disaster. XBox One was the 1st MS console I didn't get at launch. Series X will be day 1 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Just give me a date and a price please :)

120hz or above with low millisecond response are not standard @ 4k HDR

120hz and above are not standard @ 4k HDR

Don't think the series X will hit 120hz at full 4K. You need a serious GPU on its own to hit those targets on a PC.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Don't think the series X will hit 120hz at full 4K. You need a serious GPU on its own to hit those targets on a PC.
    60 - 120fps is point 1 of their selling arguments from Microsoft

And this was my original point

"People tend to forget about the TV they require if they are to get the maximum benefits from this."

60 - 120fps is point 1 of their selling arguments from Microsoft

And this was my original point

"People tend to forget about the TV they require if they are to get the maximum benefits from this."

Up to 120 FPS. It's extremely unlikely that they will hit those targets very often, especially at 4K.

60 FPS will be the main goal of next gen.

maximoose wrote: »
    Just give me a date and a price please :)

I would hazard a guess of 20th-23rd Nov at a price of €500-€549.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

ZiabR wrote: »

I'd imagine you are right with the 20th as the 27th is Black Friday, so a bad choice for release day :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I'd imagine you are right with the 20th as the 27th is Black Friday, so a bad choice for release day :)

I reckon they'll go earlier than thanksgiving. my bets on the 6th of November. Who knows though, they could be going for a very early summer launch - be mad if it was out around E3. they're being pretty aggressive in their PR at the moment, in stark contrast to silence from the Sony camp, who haven't revealed anything except the logo.

I reckon they'll go earlier than thanksgiving. my bets on the 6th of November. Who knows though, they could be going for a very early summer launch - be mad if it was out around E3. they're being pretty aggressive in their PR at the moment, in stark contrast to silence from the Sony camp, who haven't revealed anything except the logo.

Sony are in damage control at the moment. They know they might be in trouble this generation. Its widely rumoured that the PS5 is slightly less powerful than the series X. The leaks we have seen so far suggest that the GPU is not as powerful and the PS5 will run hotter than the series X because Sony will need to clock higher to maximise performance.

Hardware aside, Sony have to contend with xCloud, Azure Servers and GamesPass. Microsoft are in a VERY strong position for the next 10 years. As mentioned last month, Phil Spencer has said he sees Amazon/Google as a bigger threat for the next generation because they have banks of cloud servers and they are continuing to invest into this area.

Sony on the other hand are looking to piggy back on the servers and networks of others with what will likely be weaker hardware. Exclusives wont be be enough for Sony either.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Sony released two Wired interviews last year starting in April where they went into a huge amount of detail about the core features of the console, and it was MS that was silent until December.

Sony are unusually quiet right now, though. With them pulling out of conferences, I wonder did they plan an event that they’ve had to convert into a direct that messed with their timelines? Who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

ZiabR wrote: »
    It be well worth it at that price given the specs of xbox series x just hoping ps5 specs are false since there a 1 year old and just rumors.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'm 99.99% sure that the rumours of Sony being so far behind are a load of b***s.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm looking forward to this release. I hope they release it around late September early October just in time for the dark evenings when you would be doing damn all so can game more often. I'm not one to be inside gaming when it is a great day outside.

Sony are unusually quiet right now, though. With them pulling out of conferences, I wonder did they plan an event that they’ve had to convert into a direct that messed with their timelines? Who knows.

In an earnings call Sony said the reveal timeline would be similar to the PS4.

PS4 was announced in Feb with some tech specs and release window. It was properly unveiled in June and price was announced at that time. Specific release dates were announced in August.

So I wouldn't expect them to deviate much from that. The difference is that they already announced the system and gave a release window. So that part is done. I would look at June give or take for the full unveil and price announcement.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'm 99.99% sure that the rumours of Sony being so far behind are a load of b***s.

I am not saying that the PS5 will be poor. I have said before the PS5 will be an amazing console but we do know that some of the leaks from the development kits show the PS5 to be behind the Series X on the GPU front. Not massively, we will just have to wait and see.

for the base console? no, I reckon they'll be very very close in terms of specs, but gamers are a fickle bunch, and anything been seen as a deficiency is always pounced upon as fuel for the fanboys.

their network services are not on the same level though really, gamepass ultimate giving gold, and netflix style gaming across pc, console and cautiously rolling out to mobiles via streaming is supremely impressive.

even if sony were to match that product at launch of the PS5, thats an awful lot of balls to keep juggling, along with the introduction of a new console.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

for the base console? no, I reckon they'll be very very close in terms of specs, but gamers are a fickle bunch, and anything been seen as a deficiency is always pounced upon as fuel for the fanboys.

their network services are not on the same level though really, gamepass ultimate giving gold, and netflix style gaming across pc, console and cautiously rolling out to mobiles via streaming is supremely impressive.

even if sony were to match that product at launch of the PS5, thats an awful lot of balls to keep juggling, along with the introduction of a new console.

Was only talking hardware, with the rumour going around that PS5 will be only 9 TFs or so. I'm quite happy with how MS has responded to falling behind in this generation. Part of Sony's lack of response to the things MS is doing is the fact that they don't really need to. They're so far ahead it's ridiculous.

Long term, xCloud will probably be a bigger deal than any console hardwre anyway. It's clearly not for people that are framerate/latency intolerant, but it definitely works well enough for most people, and that's where the big growth is going to come over the next 10/20 years. Everyone wants to lock down the emerging markets, India, China (if they ever relax about game regulations), and the like. Not many people over there buying consoles, but everyone has a phone.

Was only talking hardware, with the rumour going around that PS5 will be only 9 TFs or so. I'm quite happy with how MS has responded to falling behind in this generation. Part of Sony's lack of response to the things MS is doing is the fact that they don't really need to. They're so far ahead it's ridiculous.

Long term, xCloud will probably be a bigger deal than any console hardwre anyway. It's clearly not for people that are framerate/latency intolerant, but it definitely works well enough for most people, and that's where the big growth is going to come over the next 10/20 years. Everyone wants to lock down the emerging markets, India, China (if they ever relax about game regulations), and the like. Not many people over there buying consoles, but everyone has a phone.

Have you tried xcloud yet? Its pretty good, but I badly need an upgrade from my woeful vodafone router. They need to do something with text scaling as well, I generally play with subtitles on , and they can be miniscule on a phone.

Have you tried xcloud yet? Its pretty good, but I badly need an upgrade from my woeful vodafone router. They need to do something with text scaling as well, I generally play with subtitles on , and they can be miniscule on a phone.

Yeah, I've tried it out and about, I was very impressed with it. As I said, it won't be for everyone, but even games that I thought wouldn't work with increased latency do actually just work. If I wasn't playing on an extremely cramped screen, I'd have forgotten that I wasn't playing on a console, at least for the games that I tested out.

Once xCloud and the like become a bigger development target, I can see issues like small text going away. Might not happen for existing games, but sure as hell publishers are looking at the potential sales that streaming might bring, and customising for that setup probably won't be too much work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

With the news of the cornovirus getting worse and worse I'm starting to think this console launch is going to be delayed until next year. With microsoft pulling out of GDC I wonder also what are the chances for E3 being cancelled and what that will mean for the microsoft event and the expected full reveal

Advertisement