Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Headstone inscriptions

• 30-07-2019 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

I have a question about adding an inscription to a family headstone. In this case the individual wished to be cremated and the ashes scattered somewhere meaningful to them. I thought it would also be nice to have the person’s name and date added to the family headstone - I did chat to them about it when they were alive and they agreed. I just want to make sure there’s no rule that I might fall foul of in adding an inscription with details of someone who isn’t actually interred in the plot? I didn’t come across anything in the bye-laws. I might be overthinking this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I've seen plenty of headstones with the names of people not buried in the grave - one example, my grandfather's cousin was killed in WW1 and buried in France. His name is on his parents' headstone.

The local Headstone company will know if there are any local rules about inscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

KildareFan wrote: »
    I've seen plenty of headstones with the names of people not buried in the grave - one example, my grandfather's cousin was killed in WW1 and buried in France. His name is on his parents' headstone.

The local Headstone company will know if there are any local rules about inscriptions.

Thanks for the reply - I was thinking along those lines that it should be ok. I thought I should ask in case I was missing something that might be obvious to others. The bye-laws for the graveyard just say that inscriptions mustn’t be offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

My father's name is on the same headstone as my brother and only the latter is in the grave. The inscription states: 'also in memory of xxx xxxxx buried in xxxxxx, xxxxxx'. There's no issue with it whatsoever.

Advertisement