Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

6.20 euro for a chicken fillet roll? The Boom is Bollixed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd happy give someone a tenner for one right now. Butter, mayonnaise, grated cheese. Spicy or southern fried chicken.

**** it, I'm going to Centra.

I'd happy give someone a tenner for one right now. Butter, mayonnaise, grated cheese. Spicy or southern fried chicken.

**** it, I'm going to Centra.
    (My best Latvian accent)

Six Tventy, please.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

BAlUUeaNzDekExx-800x450-noPad.jpg?1488205896

just for anyone thats hungry now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Since when, most places it's €3 or €3.50....

I've seen it at €4.50 but never over €5 never mind €6.20 that is absolutely crazy and then chicken fillets are actually coming in from China.... Yes China....

€5 in SuperValu in Northside Shopping Centre. RIP off. Get the same up the road in Centra for €3.50

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Dont shop in Centra/Supervalue they over charge and their foods not fresh, youre really better off supporting local businesses and buying from a small chain local shop. Much better value and better quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You would get a whole cooked chicken for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Dont shop in Centra/Supervalue they over charge and their foods not fresh, youre really better off supporting local businesses and buying from a small chain local shop. Much better value and better quality.

I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a local non-chain shop in my life that had a deli counter?

Small chain shops tend to not have car parks.

quokula wrote: »
    I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a local non-chain shop in my life that had a deli counter?

Well youre not looking hard enough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

In my defence, as a protestant it is against my religion to pay anything higher than knock-down prices at a deli counter.

88c603f1488aa25ad4b1d810e00d6512f23b50593deb8ed2cd953f5815494013.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Dead right , leave it there. The reason why shops are starting to charge such ridiculous prices is cause fools are willing to pay it...don’t want to look mean spirited or tight in front of their friends..... would rather flash the cash... and you will find it is the ass that can least afford it that does it

Small chain shops tend to not have car parks.

So? theyre on a street where u can park. Also ive been in plenty of small chain shops with a deli and a garage/petrol station attached with parking.

So? theyre on a street where u can park. Also ive been in plenty of small chain shops with a deli and a garage/petrol station attached with parking.

Not in this part of the world. I don't know a single petrol station around that isn't a big chain.

Finding street parking spaces is a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

There was an outrage recently in my town because a few local shops put there chicken fillet roll + can of coke or water from 4 euro up to 4.25 or 4.50..

Prices in the east of the country compared to the west are crazy :O

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

GBX wrote: »
    Its not over priced to some and other will pay without complaint. You did right not paying for it though

Most likely it was paid and nothing said but that doesn’t make as good a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

LillySV wrote: »
    Dead right , leave it there. The reason why shops are starting to charge such ridiculous prices is cause fools are willing to pay it...don’t want to look mean spirited or tight in front of their friends..... would rather flash the cash... and you will find it is the ass that can least afford it that does it

Flashing the cash on a Chicken Fillet Roll!

That's fuçkin extravagant alright.
    Look at me lads!

quokula wrote: »
    This is why chain stores have ruined the term 'deli counter'.

A deli is supposed to be a delicatessen counter, a place that serves unusual or high-quality foods. You get them in lots of independent stores (not that I would know, I'm the one buying chicken fillet rolls from Centra), and they serve genuinely good, especially Mediterranean food.

What we call a 'deli' here is a complete joke (and quite a disgusting one).

Not in this part of the world. I don't know a single petrol station around that isn't a big chain.

Finding street parking spaces is a pain in the hole.

Where are you living? there are small chain shops with delis everywhere, even little cafes and small restaurants often have little delis for takeaway sandwiches and food. Whats wrong with walking? Do you really need to be parked at the door?

Dont complain about the price of a roll in centra then refuse to shop anywhere else. Either pay the price or take your business else where.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

How much would it cost to make your own.

This is why chain stores have ruined the term 'deli counter'.

A deli is supposed to be a delicatessen counter, a place that serves unusual or high-quality foods. You get them in lots of independent stores (not that I would know, I'm the one buying chicken fillet rolls from Centra), and they serve genuinely good, especially Mediterranean food.

What we call a 'deli' here is a complete joke (and quite a disgusting one).

Why did you go to one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

mattser wrote: »
    And of course you have to start a thread on this.
    The onus was on you to check the price first.
    You put a staff member to the trouble of preparing the roll, and then got the hump at the till.
    The staff are the ones hard done by here, plus good food was wasted.
    Good ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Mechanically separated chicken, Tyrant. Usually bound together with gristle, skin, and boiled connective tissue. Plenty of water, salt, preservatives and gumming agent as well.

That’s it, J. It’s the same as the “meat slurry” you’re getting in all those “prime cuts” of Irish “family” ham.

If you’re paying peanuts for your “meat” you can be be pretty sure it’s the lowest grade available.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Flashing the cash on a Chicken Fillet Roll!

That's fuçkin extravagant alright.
    Look at me lads!

😂 and I’ll have the most overpriced pack of premium nuts with that too!! Haha

Where are you living? there are small chain shops with delis everywhere, even little cafes and small restaurants often have little delis for takeaway sandwiches and food. Whats wrong with walking? Do you really need to be parked at the door?

Dont complain about the price of a roll in centra then refuse to shop anywhere else. Either pay the price or take your business else where.

You were talking about petrol pumps and car parks. None of the places you're talking about have either. Bottom line for me is convenience convenience convenience; proper free parking spaces, quick turnaround at the counter, and you're on your way.
    It's also a bit laughable to talk about price and then talk about some little 'artisan' holes in the wall, the very places who have gouging down to a tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭SteM

latest?cb=20120106175226

Are we back to gouging, so, is that it?

Pissing rain earlier. Went into Centra while I was waiting for a mate to finish work.
    "One chicken fillet roll, please; coleslaw and cheese, no butter"

Was charged over eight euro for that, and a bottle of water at the till.

I didn't make a scene, but I said "sorry I'm not paying that", and the lovely woman at the till kind of nodded at me in (maybe) agreement, so I went and ate elsewhere.

My questions are threefold:

Is gouging back?

And isn't it all just self-defeating?

And do you refuse to pay when being overcharged?

I applaud your refusal to pay. I handed back a pint in the Glen of Aherlow hotel a number of years ago. €4.95 in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

During peak recession the centra beside the Regency hotel had a chicken fillet roll and a can of coke on offer for €2

It moved to €3.50 the year after.

That’s it, J. It’s the same as the “meat slurry” you’re getting in all those “prime cuts” of Irish “family” ham.

If you’re paying peanuts for your “meat” you can be be pretty sure it’s the lowest grade available.

Lovely flavour though. Tried making one myself once with an actual chicken breast but the neither the taste or texture suited it like the real thing.

During peak recession the centra beside the Regency hotel had a chicken fillet roll and a can of coke on offer for €2

It moved to €3.50 the year after.

A roll and coke near the Regency for €2.

• Advertisement

You were talking about petrol pumps and car parks. None of the places you're talking about have either. Bottom line for me is convenience convenience convenience; proper free parking spaces, quick turnaround at the counter, and you're on your way.
    It's also a bit laughable to talk about price and then talk about some little 'artisan' holes in the wall, the very places who have gouging down to a tee.

Actually just bought a chicken fillet role and bottle of water for 3.30 in a local deli counter last week, no parking outside but thats grand for me.
    Dont know what youre looking for tbh.

Advertisement